• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm getting ready for a move and trying to figure out what to take with me and what to leave behind. One of the biggest things I need to deal with is my large Xbox 360 collection. A lot of 360 games I've since rebought on PC. Below is a list of some of the games I own on both platforms. My question for this thread is to let me know if there's any reason to prefer a 360 version of any of these games. (please don't quote me and say "no reason" unless you mean it -- split-screen where the PC doesn't support it is a reason, multi-profile support for multiple local players is kind of a reason, poor or no controller support in the PC version is a reason, non-garbage DLC not available on PC is a reason, notably bad or unstable PC port is a reason, onerous DRM is a reason, achievements are not a reason).

Please only reply if you have a benefit to keeping the console version, or you've know enough about both to definitively rule out ANY benefit to the 360 version.

Alan Wake - Finished once along with both pieces of DLC
BioShock - Finished 5 or 6 times
BioShock 2 - Played through once on console as well as Multiplayer to Level 25, own Minerva's Den on console and played through it. Didn't buy any of the multiplayer DLC, probably won't touch Multiplayer again.
Brutal Legend - Played about half of, probably won't finish, no interest in DLC
Borderlands - Played through but never touched DLC or New Game+, own DLC on PC
Burnout Paradise - Played through about two thirds of, lost save, own Ultimate Box on PC
Condemned: Criminal Origins - Played through to completion on 360
Fallout: New Vegas - Own main game on 360, played about 50% of the way through, own GOTY version on PC
Darksiders - Played half-way through on 360.
Deadly Premonition - Played through to completion on 360 including all collectibles on medium difficulty
Enslaved - Played to complete on 360, bought Pigsy's Perfect 10 but haven't yet played, Does the PC version include the Pigsy DLC?
Just Cause - Played to completion on 360, 1000/1000.
The Last Remnant - Bought for $8 on release day on 360, haven't touched it on 360 or PC.
Left 4 Dead - I'm asking because IIRC PC does not have local split-screen and 360 does?
Mafia II - Played through to completion along with available DLC on 360.
Mass Effect 1 - Finished 8 times on 360, and played Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station. I would want to play Bring Down the Sky on a replay.
Mass Effect 2 - Finished to completion with all DLC. As I understand it, the DLC is only available through BioWare point nonsense, which makes me think I should keep all three ME games for 360 instead of PC.
Max Payne 3 - Finished on Normal on 360, never touched Multiplayer, no plans to.
Mini Ninjas - My fiancé's, not mine.
Mirror's Edge - Finished without firing a gun on 360, I understand there's some challenge room DLC that isn't on PC but I'm okay without it.
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper - 100% complete on 360.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How did they screw over early adopters, with their DLC? I'm looking at the first game since it's only 20$ for everything, it might scratch that itch once I'm "done" with Grim Dawn.

Yeah - I purchased the first game day 1 because I love the genre and the game looked great. I played the game and enjoyed it, sang it's praises, and recommended it to a lot of people.

Then they started releasing the DLC. Which is fine, that's normal and not unexpected.

But then, the game went on sale a few times, and the DLC wasn't discounted at all. Still not TOO abnormal, but a little bit of a dick move.

The final straw was when they created the "Complete" pack (which included all of the DLC) and put it on sale for 66% off - meaning it was cheaper to buy the game + DLC than it would be to buy the DLC separately, as they still weren't discounted.

That happened again, with the Complete pack being 75% off. Still no discount on the DLC.

It wasn't until just a few months ago that the DLC went on sale separately. I paid $15 for the game, and 6 months later some of my friends got the game + all DLC for $5. I could have purchased the Complete pack (forfeiting the game and just getting the DLC) for $5, but that was only saving me about $2.

I know this is usually how the "business" of making games works, but this time around I chose to vote with my wallet and tell them that these kinds of pricing practices will lose them customers.

I'm getting ready for a move and trying to figure out what to take with me and what to leave behind.

Left 4 Dead - I'm asking because IIRC PC does not have local split-screen and 360 does?
Mini Ninjas - My fiancé's, not mine

These are the only ones you need. L4D because of split screen mode, and Mini Ninjas because woman things.

Burnout Paradise - Played through about two thirds of, lost save, own Ultimate Box on PC

IIRC there's one piece of DLC that's console-exclusive.

Deadly Premonition - Played through to completion on 360 including all collectibles on medium difficulty

PC version is the director's cut which I understand is sort of a sidegrade from the 360 version. You need to use Durante's patches to make this playable pretty much.

Left 4 Dead

PC doesn't have an obvious way to turn on splitscreen mode but it is possible to do so, here's a guide.

Mass Effect 1/2/3

Can't play with a controller on PC.

EDIT: There's 360 controller support in Alan Wake, Bioshock 1 (but not 2 for some strange reason), Brutal Legend (although it's buggy), Borderlands, Burnout, Darksiders, Enslaved, Last Remnant, and Mirror's Edge, at least. The enhanced version of Enslaved includes Pigsy.

hohoXD123

Reminder cause new page and 30 mins left

Special GIF giveaway
Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time, The Body Changer (Desura), Starseed Pilgrim, And Yet It Moves, The Swapper, Antichamber, Monaco and Fez
In one big winning bundle
Not entering, but for the lols:
48569325_omg_reaction_gif.gif

Tellaerin

2) These guys don't know a damn thing about RPG history and should not be making a game about it. They completely ignore massive swaths of the history; from the roots in pen & paper games and D&D, to text adventures, to first-person RPGs like Eye of the Beholder or Ultima Underworld, to PC classics like Baldur's Gate or Fallout. Literally the only aspect of RPG history that this game covers is Square games on Nintendo systems between 1987 and 1997. That's it. Extremely limited and also disappointing.

I was always under the impression that the "RPGs" they were referring to in Evoland were of the Japanese-style console variety. I'm really not sure how you got the idea that the game was somehow going to cover the evolution of everything even tangentially related to roleplaying (tabletop games, text adventures, first-person dungeon crawls, etc.) based on the promotional material... ^^;

I'd argue that the ME games play better with mouse and keyboard anyway, especially with the revamped UI Bioware came up with for the PC version, but opinions and all that.

catabarez

IIRC there's one piece of DLC that's console-exclusive.

PC version is the director's cut which I understand is sort of a sidegrade from the 360 version.

Pretty much everything else on that list I would replace with the PC version without hesitating.

I agree with this. Left 4 Dead also has split screen on PC through some console commands I believe.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
stump:

-burnout: has a whole island added in dlc, not available on PC
-borderlands: split screen
-enslaved: pigsy is in PC ver
-just cause: PC has more in common with xbox ver rather than 360, kind of a ghetto port
-mass effect 1: dlc is fucked on PC, 5 installs for bring down sky EVER.
-mass effect 2: no dlc issues on PC like 1, just manual installers bought with bio points which is terrible
-mirrors edge: dlc available for origin edition if you do get curious

Dr Dogg

Bring Down The Sky has been changed now since the Trilogy release. Doesn't require a code and is no longer loaded with SecuROM.

http://help.ea.com/uk/article/mass-effect-bring-down-the-sky-dlc-redemption/

Also only way to get Pinnacle Station is to buy the Trilogy edition on Origin as it's been removed from EA's store. If you bought it before being removed it will show up in Origin if you have Mass Effect 1 on there.

Grief.exe

• Alan Wake - The PC port is excellent, includes all DLC, and American Nightmare separately. I see no reason to play the 360 version.
  • BioShock - I haven't had a chance to play the PC port yet, but from PCgamingwiki it sounds like a perfect port. Arbitrary resolution, FOV fixes, controller support, M/KB looks solid.
  • BioShock 2 - Just played through this after the Steamworks removal and the port is solid. You do have to set up a key in the ini files to turn off mouse acceleration and fix the FOV that you need to use every load. I didn't have a problem with it.
    You can't apply the same fix to the multiplayer mode so I stayed away.
  • Deadly Premonition - PC port on this is solid after you apply Durante's fix correct?
  • Fallout: New Vegas - Steamworks, fantastic mods available, all DLC, great port. I see no reason to play through the 360 version.
  • Enslaved - Includes the Pigsy DLC.

Alan Wake, Bioshock, F:NV, and Enslaved are no-brainers, basically. Mirror's Edge is a no-brainer if you don't care about the DLC. Burnout (again unless you care about the DLC), Brutal Legend, Condemned, Darksiders, and Left 4 Dead are all reasonably safe by most standards.

I'd argue that the ME games play better with mouse and keyboard anyway, especially with the revamped UI Bioware came up with for the PC version, but opinions and all that.

I mean, that may well be true, it's just irritating that you don't have the option on PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

While it may be the case, I don't own or want a wireless keyboard or mouse or lap pad, so for me if I'm going to play on my TV, it's controller or bust. As a result, controller support is an imperative, especially since we're dealing with games that I already own on 360 and not just trying to break a tie in a purchase.

I use KBM when I play multiplayer or when a game's UI really demands it (like an RTS or whatever). Beyond that, and I play multiplayer pretty rarely, I would vastly prefer a controller. Always did. Used a Gravis Gamepad in the mid-90s. Had a USB-to-PS2 adapter in the early 00s. Got a 360 wireless dongle as soon as I could.

Salsa

flying to Chile from may 7 to 11th. gonna be there for my brother's birthday and I might run into some ACE team guys again and try to play that new game, that'd be rad

graywolf323

stump:

-burnout: has a whole island added in dlc, not available on PC
-borderlands: split screen
-enslaved: pigsy is in PC ver
-just cause: PC has more in common with xbox ver rather than 360, kind of a ghetto port
-mass effect 2: no dlc issues on PC like 1, just manual installers bought with bio points which is terrible
-mirrors edge: dlc available for origin edition if you do get curious

actually you have to give Bioware credit, they released a new exe of Bringing Down the Sky a couple years back which no longer requires a cd-key

Bring Down The Sky has been changed now since the Trilogy release. Doesn't require a code and is no longer loaded with SecuROM.

http://help.ea.com/uk/article/mass-effect-bring-down-the-sky-dlc-redemption/

Also only way to get Pinnacle Station is to buy the Trilogy edition on Origin as it's been removed from EA's store. If you bought it before being removed it will show up in Origin if you have Mass Effect 1 on there.

and I was comprehensively beaten

masterkajo

Here you go.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-ADFE6321C53C5689 - Taken by UnrealEck. 1 entrants total.
Fez -- MB-3C18B99F8C12249F - Taken by IblisGinjo. 2 entrants total.

t1397772942z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Quite a few people experience bad performance issues with this on very good modern hardware. I think they're mostly fixable, but definitely there and worth mentioning.
The controller support is weird and definitely not up to snuff with what you will get in the 360 release I'm sure. That said, I doubt the people having performance complaints have stooped to the settings 720p30fps. I had perfect performance when I played it in the last year or two.

Cook Serve Delicious is awesome. My buzz went from 17% to 48% after 3 days with some menu changes. Just had my first perfect day, 60 customers. Feels good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does anyone know if the first Fate supports widescreen resolutions, specifically 1920x1080

louiedog

The controller support is weird and definitely not up to snuff with what you will get in the 360 release I'm sure. That said, I doubt the people having performance complaints have stooped to the settings 720p30fps. I had perfect performance when I played it in the last year or two.

There are people, like you, who can play it just fine. I've seen other people with plenty capable systems (i5, cards that were high end 2 years ago, etc.) who put everything on low and still get bad stuttering or framerates below 30.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Cook Serve Delicious is awesome. My buzz went from 17% to 48% after 3 days with some menu changes. Just had my first perfect day, 60 customers. Feels good.

Yeah it is. I really need to give it some more play but it's just one of those games where I sit down for a minute and find several hours have passed. Just one more day. I'll quit after this next day. I'll just pay another day to test out this sweet upgrade. Let me just win this wager...

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I would recommend keeping Burnout Paradise on 360 over PC. While I didn't particularly care when it came to various cars not being included (plenty in-game as is), Cops and Robbers is a fun multiplayer experience of capture-the-flag while Big Surf Island is a great addition with plenty of jumps, loops, and trick spots that allow you to make more use of the stunt mechanics in game.

Also I've found that 360 has a larger online population still than PC, so if you haven't gotten the chance to go for the online missions or just want to mess around, it's your best bet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, to recap about the subject of which games I own on PC+360 to keep, and which to junk:

Strictly Superior, Absolutely No Reason To Keep the Console Version
Alan Wake
BioShock 1
BioShock 2 post-GFWL removal
BioShock Infinite
Brutal Legend
Darksiders
Enslaved
Fallout New Vegas
Last Remnant
Mafia II
Max Payne 3
Mini Ninjas
Do any of these have any actual playability issues on PC I should be aware of?

DLC availability issues
Possibly Burnout Paradise -- what exact DLC exists on console and not on PC? Big Surf Island, some cars, and Cops and Robbers?
Mass Effect 1 Pinnacle Station Origin-only, Bring Down the Sky manual download but painless
Mass Effect 2 BioWare Points Nonsense
Mirror's Edge DLC only on Origin

Controller Support issues
BioShock 2 pre GFWL removal
Deadly Premonition initially, maybe fixed with mods, unclear how fixed it is
Mass Effect 1, possibly ME2 and ME3
Does Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper have controller support on PC?

Split-screen on console, possibly not on PC
Borderlands - Confirmation on this not having PC split-screen? Edit: Stallion Free confirms
Left 4 Dead - Confirmation on this having PC split-screen, how workable is it?

Possibly technical issues
Condemned
Deadly Premonition
Just Cause

masterkajo

Thank you for FEZ.

You are welcome. I just completed it the other day myself. It is quite something. Try to stay away from guides (at least for your first playthrough) and try to solve as much as possible. If I could experience everything all over again, I would.

Thanks very much.

You are welcome, too. Since this is the first time I am using ModBot with gift links, feel free to PM me if there is any problem.

Yeah - I purchased the first game day 1 because I love the genre and the game looked great. I played the game and enjoyed it, sang it's praises, and recommended it to a lot of people.

Then they started releasing the DLC. Which is fine, that's normal and not unexpected.

But then, the game went on sale a few times, and the DLC wasn't discounted at all. Still not TOO abnormal, but a little bit of a dick move.

The final straw was when they created the "Complete" pack (which included all of the DLC) and put it on sale for 66% off - meaning it was cheaper to buy the game + DLC than it would be to buy the DLC separately, as they still weren't discounted.

That happened again, with the Complete pack being 75% off. Still no discount on the DLC.

It wasn't until just a few months ago that the DLC went on sale separately. I paid $15 for the game, and 6 months later some of my friends got the game + all DLC for $5. I could have purchased the Complete pack (forfeiting the game and just getting the DLC) for $5, but that was only saving me about $2.

I know this is usually how the "business" of making games works, but this time around I chose to vote with my wallet and tell them that these kinds of pricing practices will lose them customers.

Shitty, guess I'll hold off on Van Helsing 2 until there's some sort of complete pack then...but I'm probably going to buy the first game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom