• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Deadly Premonition has controller support.

Just to be clear, I'm asking because the information is confused. Deadly Premonition launched CLAIMING it had controller support but it didn't. Modding initially disabled the broken half-support, but I believe later added controller support. The controller support rendered a certain boss fight impossible, so you had to momentarily switch to keyboard to be able to beat it. Then there was a patch that supposedly added improve controller support officially, right?

Can you confirm that Deadly Premonition PC can be played from beginning to end using a controller based on an actual example of such a playthrough being done?

catabarez

Just to be clear, I'm asking because the information is confused. Deadly Premonition launched CLAIMING it had controller support but it didn't. Modding initially disabled the broken half-support, but I believe later added controller support. The controller support rendered a certain boss fight impossible, so you had to momentarily switch to keyboard to be able to beat it. Then there was a patch that supposedly added improve controller support officially, right?

Can you confirm that Deadly Premonition PC can be played from beginning to end using a controller based on an actual example of such a playthrough being done?

Well controller support was officially patched. Maybe someone here has played through the whole thing with a controller.

So, to recap about the subject of which games I own on PC+360 to keep, and which to junk:

Strictly Superior, Absolutely No Reason To Keep the Console Version
Alan Wake
BioShock 1
BioShock 2 post-GFWL removal
BioShock Infinite
Brutal Legend
Darksiders
Enslaved
Fallout New Vegas
Last Remnant
Mafia II
Max Payne 3
Mini Ninjas
Do any of these have any actual playability issues on PC I should be aware of?

DLC availability issues
Possibly Burnout Paradise -- what exact DLC exists on console and not on PC? Big Surf Island, some cars, and Cops and Robbers?
Mass Effect 1 Pinnacle Station Origin-only, Bring Down the Sky manual download but painless
Mass Effect 2 BioWare Points Nonsense
Mirror's Edge DLC only on Origin

Controller Support issues
BioShock 2 pre GFWL removal
Deadly Premonition initially, maybe fixed with mods, unclear how fixed it is
Mass Effect 1, possibly ME2 and ME3
Does Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper have controller support on PC?

Split-screen on console, possibly not on PC
Borderlands - Confirmation on this not having PC split-screen?
Left 4 Dead - Confirmation on this having PC split-screen, how workable is it?

Possibly technical issues
Condemned
Deadly Premonition
Just Cause
IIRC, all the Mass Effect games lack controller support on PC. And based on what I've seen of Deadly Premonition, you might be better off watching a Let's Play or walkthrough instead of playing the actual game.

def sim

Did you try DPfix?

No, not myself. A friend of mine bought it around when dpfix was released and trying to get it running for a decent amount of time was apparently a total pain.

I do own it, thanks to a generous member in our community, so I will give it a try eventually. I don't think I'll be able to play to completion if runtime errors are as prevalent as I've heard.

Acccent

Winner of the GIF giveaway!!!
Henry Swanson!!!!!
I'll send you a PM asap.

And the gif itself...
ivdOetyKsnJgo.gif

it just goes on and on. it never stops staring.

Here are the runner-ups, two excellent reaction gifs (and super hq) but not as funny:

2XYUG.gif

From Nzyme32

post-23983-I-saw-that-going-differently-i-gaU7.gif

From Kiru

Thanks to everyone who sent something, whether they were interested in the games or not ^_^

Caerith

I don't own or want a wireless keyboard or mouse or lap pad, so for me if I'm going to play on my TV, it's controller or bust.
I use a wired keyboard and mouse (with USB extension cable + USB hub) on something similar to this:

svartasen-laptop-stand__0256664_PE400746_S4.JPG

Not exactly pertinent to your original question, but it's a comfortable alternative to lap pads.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IIRC, all the Mass Effect games lack controller support on PC.

Okay, between that and the DLC mess, I'll definitely keep the 360 copies of each game.

And based on what I've seen of Deadly Premonition, you might be better off watching a Let's Play or walkthrough instead of playing the actual game.

I've played through the whole game on 360, so it's not about that, it's about whether on a replay I'd bother with the 360 version again or with the PC version.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've played through the whole game on 360, so it's not about that, it's about whether on a replay I'd bother with the 360 version again or with the PC version.

Well if you go for PC modifying the exe to accept above 2GBs of RAM drastically increases the time between crashes and fixes a few of them as well.

Nzyme32

Winner of the GIF giveaway!!!
Henry Swanson!!!!!
I'll send you a PM asap.

And the gif itself...

it just goes on and on. it never stops staring.

Here are the runner-ups, two excellent reaction gifs (and super hq) but not as funny:

Thanks to everyone who sent something, whether they were interested in the games or not ^_^

That was a good winning gif. I couldn't work out whether you wanted high quality reaction gifs or funny ones. I was tempted to go with the opposite idea and post a very low resolution gif of the entirety of terminator 2

Acccent

That was a good winning gif. I couldn't work out whether you wanted high quality reaction gifs or funny ones. I was tempted to go with the opposite idea and post a very low resolution gif of the entirety of terminator 2

Bit of both tbh. Henry's was one of the highest quality.

Terra_Ex

Okay, between that and the DLC mess, I'll definitely keep the 360 copies of each game.

Not sure if you use it but surround sound support is also busted in the PC version of Deadly Premonition, resulting in car brake sounds looping constantly whenever you're in a vehicle, only known "fix" is to disable surround sound.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, here's another batch of 360/PC games. Any reason (controller support, stability issues, missing features, missing DLC) I should keep the 360 version, or is the PC version the only one I'd want to play going forward:
Batman AA - Finished multiple times on 360
Batman AC - Finished once on 360, never played the Harley Quinn DLC but I'm told it sux anyway
Ghostbusters The Video Game - Assuming I don't play multiplayer
Lego Star Wars Complete, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Indiana Jones 2, Lego Batman, Lego Harry Potter - Do these all have proper local co-op on PC? Any other reasons to keep the console versions?

And then some games that I own on 360 that have PC versions, but that I don't yet own on PC:
Bionic Commando
Castlevania: Lord of Shadow
CSI: Hard Evidence
Dead Rising 2
GTA4 - I don't play it online
LA Noire
Star Trek
(please don't reply telling me you think any of these games suck, just stick to the port difference info)

Not sure if you use it but surround sound support is also busted in the PC version of Deadly Premonition, resulting in car brake sounds looping constantly whenever you're in a vehicle, only known "fix" is to disable surround sound.

Good god what a mess. Thank you for the heads up.

I mean, that may well be true, it's just irritating that you don't have the option on PC.

Yeah, all the menu stuff we'd need exists, if only they could just add a toggle to the menu or something. I own all three on PC, and I'd replay them in a heartbeat if I could get some decent controller support (and a way to switch my licenses for the DLC to the PC version).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Seems the Spy Fox game that just came out sadly uses the British voice cast.

Even better news from the Humongous Entertainment thread:

It seems Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo will come to Steam in August according to this post on Reddit. He claims to be the CEO of Night Dive Studios and judging from the guys post history it seems he actually is.

Update: I asked him if the original dub for the first Spy Fox would be on Steam and he said that they are in the process of updating it. (Source)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, here's another batch of 360/PC games.
I had no problems with Batman AA but I can't compare it to the 360 version as I only played it on PC. Ghostbusters seemed to have some issues with certain PC builds but I didn't have any problems other than a crash very near the beginning.

While I have GTA4 and LA Noire I have not played them yet. Apparently they are pretty bad ports with quite a few graphical and/or sound issues.

Levyne

Banned
Castlevania LoS uses some console stuff for some of the cutscenes and that's vary jarring compared to the rest of game, which runs flawlessly in my experience. I've never played the console versions however.

And then some games that I own on 360 that have PC versions, but that I don't yet own on PC:
LA Noire

I own both and as far as I'm aware there are zeroes issues. Lord of Shadows is the Ultimate edition, contains all of the DLC and has full controller support. I believe that's the case for LA Noire as well.

Okay, here's another batch of 360/PC games. Any reason (controller support, stability issues, missing features, missing DLC) I should keep the 360 version, or is the PC version the only one I'd want to play going forward:
Batman AA - Finished multiple times on 360
Batman AC - Finished once on 360, never played the Harley Quinn DLC but I'm told it sux anyway
Ghostbusters The Video Game - Assuming I don't play multiplayer
Lego Star Wars Complete, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Indiana Jones 2, Lego Batman, Lego Harry Potter - Do these all have proper local co-op on PC? Any other reasons to keep the console versions?

Bionic Commando
Dead Rising 2
LA Noire
Star Trek
(please don't reply telling me you think any of these games suck, just stick to the port difference info)

Good god what a mess. Thank you for the heads up.

Castlevania you should have purchased long ago. It runs at a constant framerate and doesn't suffer from any of the technical problems that plagued the console version(s).

Dead Rising 2 won't have any sort of multiplayer (online) as it's GFWL at the moment.

I have no reason to believe that you shouldn't move to PC for GTA4 and LANoire either. GTA4 is highly mod-able, which is a huge plus, IMO.

Salsa

watching the GB quick look and the advanced edition of FTL seems to have a lot more new content than I thought

time to jump back

Sulik2

watching the GB quick look and the advanced edition of FTL seems to have a lot more new content than I thought

time to jump back

Its really, really good. Game feels completely rebalanced and every piece of new technology adds wonderfully to the overall strategy. Its a fantastic update.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The only problem with LA Noire on Steam is that it's still LA Noire. Fuck I hate LA Noire. I had it fuckin forced upon me when I bought Max Payne 3 as well. Didn't even get a choice to give it away or turn it down. Bastards.

ShogunX

The only problem with LA Noire on Steam is that it's still LA Noire. Fuck I hate LA Noire. I had it fuckin forced upon me when I bought Max Payne 3 as well. Didn't even get a choice to give it away or turn it down. Bastards.

The game no doubt has some good ideas but the whole thing was just a massive chore to play.

H1Z1 (DayZ Clone from SOE) confirmed coming to Early Access next month.

Free?

Mafia II - Played through to completion along with available DLC on 360.

There is a graphical glitch on AMD cards that was introduced in a later driver update and never fixed on either side I'm not sure if it's only on a range of AMD/ATI cards, mines a 5770, or brand wide. The screen flcikers and flashes if you look directly at many things, you have to turn off center to minimize the effect.

Of course if you have a Nvidia card you're fine.

Edit: Now that I check again, the latest 14.1 beta may have fixed it, haven't tried yet so can't verify it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The game no doubt has some good ideas but the whole thing was just a massive chore to play.

It's honestly the worst £40 I've ever spent on a videogame, ever. Bought into the hype and got it on release on PS3. Nope nope nope. Fair play to anyone who enjoys it, I couldn't find a single thing to like about it. Dreadful game.

Cth

Asking again before I head off to bed.

Bonus gifs.
J8ykhhF.gif

8On2mh8.gif

Wish I had seen this before I paid $10 :D

Ah well, it's worth it..

Just checked the forum and as predicted there's already working versions of Catan, Cards Against Humanity, Munchin, and others.

Bionic Commando
Dead Rising 2
LA Noire
Star Trek
IIRC, the PC version of Star Trek has the best graphics, but its options are horrifically limited due to using DirectX 9. I think it supports split screen with both KB+M and controller, but I've never had any opportunity and I can't vouch for it getting updates beyond the patch that fixed co-op.

L.A. Noire gave us this, so it can't be all bad.

iikRjUDRW1yWY.gif

I got it plopped into my account because of Max Payne 3, but I never had any interest or intention of playing it. Hate when things like that happen, as it's not like I can get it specifically removed as it's tied to the MP3 sub.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IIRC, the PC version of Star Trek has the best graphics, but its options are horrifically limited due to using DirectX 9. I think it supports split screen with both KB+M and controller, but I've never had any opportunity and I can't vouch for it getting updates beyond the patch that fixed co-op.

Thanks. Information on some of the ... lower tier games is hard to come by!

Salsa

I like LA Noire

I never finished it cause something else came out. Still feel kinda bad about that considering going back to it now is probably a "wtf was I even supposed to do" thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom