• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Some extras, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Blockland -- MB-DE1105EBCE34EE06 - Taken by Coldsun. 7 entrants total.
Dungeon Hearts -- MB-37B29FAD52430068 - Taken by Sarcasm. 8 entrants total.
Eryis Action -- MB-9540517629BDB5CA - Taken by _hekk05. 7 entrants total.
Pressure -- MB-4223723AA55D5F37 - Taken by Casimir. 6 entrants total.
FootLOL Epic Fail League -- MB-5E8CCD586B2C5EA0 - Taken by bornlivedie. 23 entrants total.

t1397803592z1.png

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
it's pretty weird to see the "show us your gaming setup" thread and recognize users that posted in some threads dismissing the PC because it's too expensive and post pictures of their console setups there that look like the fucking enterprise. what a waste.

Wait, really?

0_o

Tellaerin

Yeah, this is a perfect example of the driveby defending that they attempt.

What kind of lengthy defense do you expect? The Origin client is lightweight, minimalist, and generally inoffensive. Once I've launched a game through it, I can forget it even exists. That's the main thing I'm looking for in a client.

Steam has definite advantages as a service, when it comes to things like sales, social features and the like. No one's going to deny that. But the way some Steam fans trash Origin comes off as virulently fanboyish as anything spawned by the console wars. And that's ironic when PC-centric gamers are usually above that kind of petty nonsense.

So, to recap about the subject of which games I own on PC+360 to keep, and which to junk:

Strictly Superior, Absolutely No Reason To Keep the Console Version
Alan Wake
BioShock 1
BioShock 2 post-GFWL removal
BioShock Infinite
Brutal Legend
Darksiders
Enslaved
Fallout New Vegas
Last Remnant
Mafia II
Max Payne 3
Mini Ninjas
Do any of these have any actual playability issues on PC I should be aware of?

DLC availability issues
Possibly Burnout Paradise -- what exact DLC exists on console and not on PC? Big Surf Island, some cars, and Cops and Robbers?
Mass Effect 1 Pinnacle Station Origin-only, Bring Down the Sky manual download but painless
Mass Effect 2 BioWare Points Nonsense
Mirror's Edge DLC only on Origin

Controller Support issues
BioShock 2 pre GFWL removal
Deadly Premonition initially, maybe fixed with mods, unclear how fixed it is
Mass Effect 1, possibly ME2 and ME3
Does Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper have controller support on PC?

Split-screen on console, possibly not on PC
Borderlands - Confirmation on this not having PC split-screen? Edit: Stallion Free confirms
Left 4 Dead - Confirmation on this having PC split-screen, how workable is it?

Possibly technical issues
Condemned
Deadly Premonition
Just Cause

PCGW claims that there is controller support if you fix some ini files but lacking. For the rest I suggest checking PCGW for some quick information, you might notice something that'll change your mind on that game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What kind of lengthy defense do you expect? The Origin client is lightweight, minimalist, and generally inoffensive. Once I've launched a game through it, I can forget it even exists. That's the main thing I'm looking for in a client.

Steam has definite advantages as a service, when it comes to things like sales, social features and the like. No one's going to deny that. But the way some Steam fans trash Origin comes off as virulently fanboyish as anything spawned by the console wars. And that's ironic when PC-centric gamers are usually above that kind of petty nonsense.

I expect you to defend the platform without bullshit like fake download speeds.

Did Origin ever fix the glitch where even if you have achievement notifications turned off you still get the sound for the achievement?

That bugged me a lot in Dead Space 3, I was going insane wondering "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT RANDOM NOISE?!"

Here's the sound for anyone wondering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDJ6qflS0bc&feature=youtu.be&t=3m40s

Even with the overlay disabled it still made the sound to indicate you got an achievement =/

Aside from that I've not had much trouble with Origin, although admittedly I rarely ever use it, I used to have a problem where if I kept it in my system tray it'd start maxing out my CPU and my computer would slow to a crawl, but now that you can close origin after exiting a game I don't have that problem anymore.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Asking again before I head off to bed.

Bonus gifs.
J8ykhhF.gif

8On2mh8.gif

I wouldn't worry too much if you miss out. Assuming there'll be a four-pack on Steam at $45, the RU price should be 699 Russiabucks, which, after factoring in a profit margin, means you're looking at only $5.13 or $5.25 per head (+0.5% if you buy through a middle man).

So I got the Stalker games from Bundle stars except for Clear Sky.

Which mods should I use with the game? I heard people say that it has a lot of bugs. I've never played any of these games before by the way.
Can't believe I almost missed a STALKER sale. Finally got Call of Pripyat

I purchased Life Goes On this morning with high expectations. However I have to say I'm struggling a bit with it.

The demo really sold me on the game, but the more I play, the more it is apparent that the demo represented the best of the experience. Already it seems very repetitive and whenever I hit a new mechanic it doesn't work as well as the base things I have already seen (and you see them a lot).

It is still decent enough...but I'm not sure how much of my attention it will hold. So at the moment I'm leaning towards "buy on sale".

I wouldn't worry too much if you miss out. Assuming there'll be a four-pack on Steam at $45, the RU price should be 699 Russiabucks, which, after factoring in a profit margin, means you're looking at only $5.13 or $5.25 per head (+0.5% if you buy through a middle man).

Seeing you post and quote a table flipping GIF reminds me:

Have you heard anything from Sega re: Stormrise?
I have not heard back from Steam.

derExperte

It is still decent enough...but I'm not sure how much of my attention it will hold. So at the moment I'm leaning towards "buy on sale".

At the end of the demo I already had the feeling they're running out of ideas.

Did Origin ever fix the glitch where even if you have achievement notifications turned off you still get the sound for the achievement?

They kinda fixed that by ignoring achievements altogether after DS3.

JaseC

You asked me that yesterday. ;)

Yeah, I was just about to say that I received the very same response. I'd submit a ticket to Valve and ask for the other app to be added to your account, citing your Sega and GameStop tickets and stressing the fact that there's no way to activate the game without a GFWL key (which 10650 would receive from Valve's servers automatically). Let me know how you go.

natertots

I hope strider and re4 go on sale at gmg this weekend for their 7 day sale. I have quite a bit of credit there and really want to play them this weekend. I also might bite on the AC4 sale at amazon. So many deals all over the place this week.

I'll use this opportunity to ask in general: wasn't the Steam thread supposed to become the PC gaming thread or something?

Sorta.
When the moderation overlords deemed that 2014 would be the year of the "platform thread", Steam and other PC platforms were considered for merging -- but since the Steam thread was the dominant thread with not enough traffic in most of the other platforms, it was decided that the Steam thread could stay as it was and people would just continue to ask occasional platform questions outside of Steam-specific discussion, I believe.

I'm paraphrasing here, I'm not a mod and I'm not sure the details above are 100% correct.

JaseC

Sounds like we better be installing Portal 2 right now, as that looks like next week's game for Playfire awards.

I'd hazard a guess and say that most here have already unlocked the majority of the games' achievements. Unless GMG focuses on the more obscure ones I don't see much money being made.

Grief.exe

I'd hazard a guess and say that most here have already unlocked the majority of the games' achievements. Unless GMG focuses on the more obscure ones I don't see much money being made.

I've actually never played Portal 2! One of those situations where a game just continually slips by you.

GK86 actually gifted me a copy recently to alleviate that error and the Playfire reward will give me the perfect opportunity.

Or perhaps the coop ones.

I've actually never played Portal 2! One of those situations where a game just continually slips by you.

GK86 actually gifted me a copy recently to alleviate that error and the Playfire reward will give me the perfect opportunity.

Sounds like a nice opportunity. It is a good solid game.

Grief.exe

That's actually one of the reasons I am surprised Papers Please didn't win that vote.

I guess asking people to think on the internet is a difficult proposition. One of the reasons I really hate the Community Choice Vote during Steam Sales.

JaseC

hannawhat12oma.gif

Or perhaps the coop ones.

Hopefully Portrait of a Lady is included because I somehow missed it during my SP playthrough. I distinctly recall finding it, though...

That's actually one of the reasons I am surprised Papers Please didn't win that vote.

I guess asking people to think on the internet is a difficult proposition. One of the reasons I really hate the Community Choice Vote during Steam Sales.

Just wait until they put BL2 against anything in Playfire and watch it win with a huge advantage.

JaseC

I didn't know she was in The Ring.

Haha, speaking of, I actually liked the American version. I should watch it again to see if my opinion still holds... and finally get around to watching the original for the sake of comparison. They're around here somewhere.

Tellaerin

I misread that as, "Have you heard anything back from Sega re: Saoirse?" and wondered if she was supposed to be doing mocap or voiceovers or something. >.>

JaseC

I misread that as, "Have you heard anything back from Sega re: Saoirse?" and wondered if she was supposed to be doing mocap or voiceovers or something. >.>

That's the dream. If only she'd landed Star Wars. :(

Edit: Then again, her doing voice work for Star Wars games would have meant pre-ordering an EA game... *shudder* :p

Woke up thinking for some reason Konami had put MGS1 on steam for 7.99
I'm sad now that didn't actually happen.
I would totally buy it at that price.
I never did finish MGS1, got up to the second disc and was like, "I'll finish this tomorrow" never ended up putting in the second disc, haha.

Man, I hope more Metal Gear games make their way to PC, has Konami made any comment on PC releases since MGR?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Sounds like we better be installing Portal 2 right now, as that looks like next week's game for Playfire awards.
Is it winning the poll?

As an aside, these rewards were about a week ago:
Portal 2 - play for the first time - £0.10
Portal 2 - unlock Bridge Over Troubling Water - £0.10
Portal 2 - unlock Scanned Alone - £0.25
Portal 2 - unlock Drop Box - £0.50
I wonder if they'll reappear.

JaseC

Woke up thinking for some reason Konami had put MGS1 on steam for 7.99
I'm sad now that didn't actually happen.

Last night I dreamt that somebody stole my dog and my phone background was a photo of Saoirse, when in reality my dog was recently put down and I have a picture of him as my phone background. Good job, brain!

(Technically he was my brother's dog but I was looking after him.)

I would totally buy it at that price.
I never did finish MGS1, got up to the second disc and was like, "I'll finish this tomorrow" never ended up putting in the second disc, haha.

Man, I hope more Metal Gear games make their way to PC, has Konami made any comment on PC releases since MGR?

Nope. I expect MGSV to come to the PC, though, given the success of MGR.

Dr Dogg

Hahaha never played Portal 2, just watched Memento and Cowboy Bebop. Have you been stuck in a time warp Grief? :p

Like I can talk. Only just watched Barton Fink the other month.

What's happening with G2A paypal deals.. couldn't resist!

Deus Ex Human revolution - $2.75
Call of duty Black OPS II - $12.44
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 Limited edition - $2.76

What's happening with G2A paypal deals.. couldn't resist!

Deus Ex Human revolution - $2.75
Call of duty Black OPS II - $12.44
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 Limited edition - $2.76

Have they had any of the other Call of Duty games on sale? That's cheaper than I paid recently to get BLOPS2... :|

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'll use this opportunity to ask in general: wasn't the Steam thread supposed to become the PC gaming thread or something?

hopefully it never does, its confusing enough already for some people what retailers have steam keys or not

edit: I missed a footlol giveaway... stupid work!

Dr Dogg

Time warp of awesome.

To be fair I've got a list as long as the day of entertainment I'd love to experience for the first time again but unadulterated and free from the media circus surround it at launch. I might look at Slipstream in a new light and not think it was a Star Wars esque romp just because it stared Mark Hamill. I'm pretty sure I'd have a different opinion on half my Steam library if I just played them for the first time today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom