• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerocrane

I just finished Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos, I've never played a VN before so this was an interesting experience for me, the format was great and I'm definitely going to be checking out more VNs in the future.

You should to play Katawa Shoujo. Description from the OT from Dresden: "Katawa Shoujo is free visual novel from Four Leaf Studios about a boy with a heart defect who, upon arrival at a boarding school for the disabled, meets a bevy of variously disabled young female friends." Your basic harem setup, except the characters happen to have disabilities. The story concentrates on coming to terms with the characters disabilities and developing relationship between the player character and the girls. In my opinion the writing does a good job at elaborating on the characters and avoiding concentrating on their disabilities as their main trait. There are sex scenes though, I think they are handled quite well though (and you can hide the explicit images from options).

something i wrote in this post is probably going to offend someone somewhere, idk if what i wrote is coherent im tired

Tried the demo for NEO Scavenger. It's a turn-based, text driven game about surviving in the post-apocalypse with super limited visuals. It was actually a pretty neat experience at first, I really like how you explore and interact with the world with the traits you chose but man I am not a fan of the combat. Maybe I simply need better weapons to end encounters faster but the fighting just drags on. I don't know if having a visual representation of the combat would improve things.

Arthea

It would awesome if you guys could give some feedback on the games you have played, rather than posting a list of games which no one will read ;p

I usually write about anything I deem worthy while playing and I finish mostly games I like and write about, so it would be repeating stuff I already wrote and again, you didn't read my list! I'm offended!
not really, but I did read all lists, it's usually nice to know what games are good enough for people to finish and remember that they did (><)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Steam games I've finished in 2014:

• Hotline Miami
  • 7 Grand Steps, Step 1 - What Ancients Begat
  • Long Live the Queen
  • One Way Heroics
  • Dysfunctional Systems: Episode One: Learning to Manage Chaos
  • I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
  • Anodyne

Not a bad first ~4 months, and that's only Steam games.

It would awesome if you guys could give some feedback on the games you have played, rather than posting a list of games which no one will read ;p

I do in the 52 game challenge thread, but effort. So instead of copying and pasting one for each, here's two links to both posts because I type a lot. Also includes non-Steam games. Looking through it, the first ~10 or so seem awkward and shorter because it was before my first ban and I was more cautious and held back. Now I post far more and I'm getting better at thinking while typing. I think it was the final section of the Pokemon TCG that drove me over the edge and something snapped in me, because fuck the Grand Master section.

Jan:
Pixel Junk Monsters Ultimate
Gone Home
Burial At Sea DLC
Kingdom Rush
Saints Row IV
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Feb:
Resident Evil Revelations
Castle Crashers
Outlast
Magicka
Bioshock 2
Call of Juarez Gunslinger

March
Sniper Elite Zombies 2
Saints Row 3
Resident Evil 4
Diablo 3

April
Torchlight 2

mannerbot

PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY

Since it's my birthday, we are going to do something fun.

Come up with a gaming related joke with horrible pun(s), and I will give the winner a Prey key.
Edit: remember to quote this post, so it's easier for me to check tomorrow morning.
t1398031200z0.png

Man, the hours just turn into DayZ!

aku:jiki

My post originally had little one-sentence reviews for all the games, but I deleted them because I assumed no one would read it. :(

Arthea

Anybody who played Just Cause 2 multi, what is it like? Is it fun to play with friends, what exactly you do in multi?
Also related, could you suggest couple of fun to play coop games, what you consider is the best of the best on steam?

Jesus. I go away for a day and everyone's pasting lists? =p
If you don't do your job, somebody has to!

BiggNife

So far, I've beaten:

-Meal Gear Rising
-Magicka
-Batman: Arkham Origins
-Shadow Warrior
-Call of Juarez Gunslinger
-Splinter Cell: Blacklist
-Far Cry 3
-Naruto UNS3 Full Burst
-NiGHTS into Dreams
-Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams

And I'm almost done with Remember Me. I've been setting a goal to beat at least 3 games a month, and so far so good.

Y3edZRU.png

That's the Portal 2 achievements for Playfire down, me and Overdoziz wrecked the house.

Well, we mostly just died a lot, but we got there anyway.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It's happened to me sometimes, try restarting Steam and then entering the game in question. That's fixed it for me whenever it's happened to me, which I think was because Steam went into offline mode for some reason. It might also be because your Steam client is out of date, though that's more unlikely. You might even need to do a fresh install, that fixed stuff for me once before and I got all of the achievements I was missing as soon as I went back into the game.

First check the steam forums if other people are experiencing the error, for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath the way achievements are handled is really iffy, so it may be a fault on the games side.

Other times it may just be because of randomness, I was playing Truck Racer ages ago and I tried to get an achievement, I thought I got it, but it didn't pop, later on that day I was messaging a friend and then, BAM, achievement that I unlocked for Truck Racer pops up.
No idea how or why that happened, but it did and was really weird, so you may just have to get lucky.

Panda Rin

no better time to dump the games I beat this year and my impressions

South Park: TSOT - not even an avid SP fan, but game was chuck full of content, no fluff, and great Paper Mario/Mario Superstar-esque gameplay sequences. Class variety was lacking and game was a bit too easy going into the second half of the story though. Would pick it up if you're into this sort of humor

Guacamelee - Never was a fan of the Castlevania games, but the combat was hella fun. Used Steam Workshop to play as Johnny Bravo. uncanny, man.

Brothers - Beat it in a day. Kind of shooed it off at the beginning as being gimmicky, but some of the scenes are pretty flippin' awesome and they're all shadow-of-the-colossus-ishy. Lots of backstory and some morbid scenes throughout. Puzzles were really easy, which was nice because I was just interested in the narrative (or the lack thereof). Definitely worth a buy.

Dark Souls - I'm going to lie here and say I didn't finish this one, but I put enough time in it (60 hours) to comment on it. I don't really know what to say. I was always skeptical on the difficulty (and it really isn't that hard of a game, just challenging), so I never really tried it until now, and man, I seriously missed out. Awesome stuff

Bioshock Infinite DLC - kind of a mixed bag. I don't know. It was nice playing as Elizabeth and seeing the change in gameplay (more stealth-based), but it just left me more confused than before.

Papers, Please - it's the dark souls of border control

Mass Effect 2 - This is my second-time playing through it. First go around I role-played as a Straight Paragon Male. I decided to go with a Raging Lesbian this go around. I don't know if I'll play through ME3 again though.

To the Moon - I didn't really enjoy it. I thought the story dragged out way too long. To be honest, halfway through I just wanted to get that perfect achievement on my profile.

Risk of Rain- really fun rogue-like. Managed to get some runs deep enough where the game would just overload and crash because of high monster count. Lacks a lot of end-game potential. Once you get OP, you'll stay that way. Much better experience with a buddy.

Resident Evil: Revelations - Never played the DS version, but I enjoyed this one. Not great, but definitely not bad. I usually get scared in most video games, so saying this was a scary experience would probably be an overstatement to some of you.

deejay

Curious question to all you folks, how many Steam games have you completed since the year started? And not endless-fare like DOTA 2 or Killing Floor or the like~ Let's talk game's that have a defined ending. Was just thinking about it and wondering.

I don't have an exact list, but I usually finish 2-3 games a week. I actually try to finish most of the games I collect, unlike a lot of other people here :p

yuraya

Finally completed the final world in Bit.Trip Runner2

What a fucking frustrating game. Complete nightmare. My 360 controller lost a few years of its life..I'm sure of it.

iWUcnMRArotBx.gif

No way I am going to try and perfect it either. Some of these achievements are downright insane..like

*beat all levels in hard difficulty*

nope.gif

So Far:
(Finished)
- The Bureau:XCOM - Interesting Story, average mechanics
- Alien Hallway - Can barely be classed as entertainment
- Bardbarian - Remnants of IAP too obvious
- Grid 2 - Beautiful, annoying driving model outside of 4wd cars, multiplayer a ghostland.
- Type:Rider - Cool but not really a "game"
- Runner 2 - Awesome
- Dirt: Showdown - Lazy, asset reuse, pretty boring.
- One Finger Death Punch - Digitial Crack
- Rogue Legacy - Play it.
-TLOU (PS3) - Meh

(Almost Finished, 1-2 hours at most)

- Marlow Briggs - Badass Simulator.
- Remember Me - Amazing world and setting, mechanics less amazing.
- Bridge Project - Buggy, completely random, still endlessley entertaining.
- Gunman Clive - Still have music stuck in head. Platforming a little too floaty.

Parsnip

Ha.
I've actually posted some thoughts on most of the games I listed after I beat them. But no one cares what I think. :D

Grief.exe

Looks great. Can't believe a single modder is putting Capcom's "Ultimate HD" version to shame. But I kinda can.

Well I would have certainly be surprised if Capcom has invested the resources to redo every texture in the game. Would have certainly set a precedent for ports.

I don't really expect that kind of effort. I would prefer to just have the game in my hands.

I have actually been very impressed and appreciative of the post-release support from QLOC. They listened to fans and went above and beyond.

that looks surprisingly faithful to the original game

so far maybe the only texture mod ever i like

That is the first thing I noticed as well. Their entire design goal is to stay consistent with the current art style in the game.

I believe the website is re4hd.com and theybalso have a thread on GAF.

What a fucking frustrating game. Complete nightmare. My 360 controller lost a few years of its life..I'm sure of it.

No way I am going to try and perfect it either. Some of these achievements are downright insane..like

For me Runner 1 was nightmare, i finished runner 2 pretty quickly. Lol cant forget those screams and anger.

Turfster

but I want it. Especially since the other Thief games are fun and I really wanted one that looked a little more up to date graphically. It'll probably be on sale during the Steam summer sale right?

No you don't.
Especially if you like the Thief games that are actually good.
It's a total shit sandwich and a pretty big insult to the Thief name.

Arrrrg. I don't need it, but I want it. Especially since the other Thief games are fun and I really wanted one that looked a little more up to date graphically. It'll probably be on sale during the Steam summer sale right?

It bomba'ed. I imagine it will be sub $10 everywhere soon enough.

Salsa

iWUcnMRArotBx.gif

nope.gif

such casualness

t1lZEsG.png

play the first one, that one's hard. Runner 2 was disappointingly easy, but still fun to complete

Grief.exe

That guy is working at a remarkable speed.

He actually picked up a guy from Spain who does amazing work and shares the same goals of the project.

They are really moving fast though.

Arrrrg. I don't need it, but I want it. Especially since the other Thief games are fun and I really wanted one that looked a little more up to date graphically. It'll probably be on sale during the Steam summer sale right?

The game has been in price free fall since pre-orders opened up.

Square new of the poor quality of the game and made steps to get it out the door before people were aware.

I'd you can be patient, it will be in the ~$7.50 range soon enough.

If you have played Thief II, may I suggest Chaos Theory?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
rqut28L.png

oQpQJze.png

I'm not really sure how I'd classify it. I loved a lot of it, but some of the puzzles were just way too obtuse for their own good. I'd play it if you have it in your backlog (I'm sure 99% of you do).

NIN90

I got it for 22€ on day one and let me tell you that the game was absolutely terrible. I played through the entire game (because I'm a masochist, I guess) and felt both robbed of my money and time.

metalshade

Hi Steam GAF, kinda outta the blue here, but I'm hoping you can help?
I am looking for game recommendations.
I want a spaceship game, where I can construct my own ship design from modules, and then pilot that ship around an RPG type game space, with quests and the like.
I know about Space Engineers, but that doesn't have the kind of construction I am looking for, when I build the ship, I want to be able to do it from a free floating camera, not a little guy bumbling around.
Hopefully the game would be feature complete, not a greenlight or unfinished beta, but I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks guys, I'm excited to see if that sorta thing exists.

Hi Steam GAF, kinda outta the blue here, but I'm hoping you can help?
I am looking for game recommendations.
I want a spaceship game, where I can construct my own ship design from modules, and then pilot that ship around an RPG type game space, with quests and the like.
I know about Space Engineers, but that doesn't have the kind of construction I am looking for, when I build the ship, I want to be able to do it from a free floating camera, not a little guy bumbling around.
Hopefully the game would be feature complete, not a greenlight or unfinished beta, but I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks guys, I'm excited to see if that sorta thing exists.

Kinetic Void has the ship customization your'e looking for, not sure if it has a campaign though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom