• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh goody, just got hit by the ESO install bug that deletes all you files without warning if you install to another drive. 400GB gone just like that! All my photos, documents, music etc... I have some backups but it's now time to investigate recovery programs.

w...what? That's horrible!

I feel like these sorts of bugs should never happen. Fix your shit Guerilla Obsidian Bethesda ZeniMax Online Studios.

FauX

Didn't win the first time? Don't worry, I have a second key.

This time around, it's still a joke with horrible pun(s), but I'm going to limit it to Valve/Steam related ones. Have fun!
t1398085200z0.png

What would happen if Origin and Steam starting to have sex?

This: Half Life Three Origins

...and some new bastard EA Games on Steam Store... Again!

Terra_Ex

Oh goody, just got hit by the ESO install bug that deletes all you files without warning if you install to another drive. 400GB gone just like that! All my photos, documents, music etc... I have some backups but it's now time to investigate recovery programs.
Damn, that's a nasty bug.
I'd suggest testdisk, in a sea of data recovery software claiming to do the job, this was the only one that worked as advertised for me. Should be a simple recovery if its just wiped the partition or similar, its easier to use than it looks.

Damn, that's a nasty bug.
I'd suggest testdisk, in a sea of data recovery software claiming to do the job, this was the only one that worked as advertised for me. Should be a simple recovery if its just wiped the partition or similar, its easier to use than it looks.

I'm trying recurva at the moment, says it has found 438k files, will find out in 2 hours or so! Seems a lot though. It did leave what I thought was my steam directory on that drive mostly untouched, but nope I now only have 2 games installed, instead of 200+ though I think most of the files are still there and when reinstalled steam will recognise most of them.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm a bit surprised by this impression. Does it get better the more you play? Like a LOT better?

It's pretty much the same throughout, but has some really interesting mechanics combining the mouse cursor and the fast paced action. I loved it. Just pure bliss. It's also really short. You can breeze through it in like 30-45 minutes. Of course, that's normal, and only one character.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

2eoiINn.jpg

That really sucks :/ I hope you can get everything back to normal soon.

BigBoss

Has anybody here played the Kingdoms of Amalur DLC? Are the 2 story DLCs worth it for someone who really enjoyed the the base game?

Jawmuncher

I finished Jurassic Park today. I gotta say, I am kind of surprised that I liked it so much. It is in no way perfect, but I found it to be a fun ride from beginning to end. Actually, I kind of wish that it would have gone on for longer. It was definitely worth my time and I enjoyed the extension of the original source material. As long as you don't mind QTEs (and like Jurassic Park), then I recommend it.

Glad you enjoyed it. It isn't great but I do feel it gets torn apart more than it should.
I think it really does come down to how much you can enjoy QTEs and Jurassic Park.

Sajjaja

Holy shit.....yo someone's gonna get sued.

dreamfall

Man, what happened to Sethos? I know it's been forever, but I was just thinking about the driving in GTA.

It still surprises me how much more I love the driving in GTA IV than V. Just booting it up to cruise around feels so comfortable for me. I love Sleepy Dawgs, but the driving just doesn't do it for me. I really hope Watchdogs feels heavier in vehicles.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If I want to do those Portal 2 coop cheevos, do both players have to be up to that certain level? Taking applications for people to help.

And no one in the QA department noticed, incredible.

Tellaerin

Got a ways further in HL2. I'm currently in the process of trying to get a force field down so that I can drive my junk buggy over a massive bridge. Climbing around on the underside of that thing had me gripping my mouse and trying not to look down. Don't even want to think about how that would've felt wearing something like the Oculus...

I swear, I spend more time in this game driving than I do on foot. Spent ages piloting my junk swamp boat up the river, there's a brief intermission, then I'm on my way to Ravenholm. I got to run and gun on foot for awhile (had fun using the giant blade from one of those rotating blade traps as a zombie slicer with the gravity gun), make it to the next safe house... and the next thing I know, they're giving me another vehicle made out of rusted sheet metal and telling me to go drive down the coast and rescue Eli. At this point I'm really hoping the back half of the game just has me running around on foot and doesn't shove me into another interminable car/boat/plane/horse/giant headcrab-driving sequence. :p

Oh, and is it just me, or does this guy:

look a lot like this guy?

header_292x136.jpg

Overall, I'd say I'm enjoying HL2 so far. It's interesting playing it now and imagining how it must've looked back when it was originally released. I might try to sit down and write up my thoughts on the experience when I'm done, if I can find the time.

Jawmuncher

Got a ways further in HL2. I'm currently in the process of trying to get a force field down so that I can drive my junk buggy over a massive bridge. Climbing around on the underside of that thing had me gripping my mouse and trying not to look down. Don't even want to think about how that would've felt wearing something like the Oculus...

I swear, I spend more time in this game driving than I do on foot. Spent ages piloting my junk swamp boat up the river, there's a brief intermission, then I'm on my way to Ravenholm. I got to run and gun on foot for awhile (had fun using the giant blade from one of those rotating blade traps as a zombie slicer with the gravity gun), make it to the next safe house... and the next thing I know, they're giving me another vehicle made out of rusted sheet metal and telling me to go drive down the coast and rescue Eli. At this point I'm really hoping the back half of the game just has me running around on foot and doesn't shove me into another interminable car/boat/plane/horse/giant headcrab-driving sequence. :p

Oh, and is it just me, or does this guy:

look a lot like this guy?

header_292x136.jpg

Overall, I'd say I'm enjoying HL2 so far. It's interesting playing it now and imagining how it must've looked back when it was originally released. I might try to sit down and write up my thoughts on the experience when I'm done, if I can find the time.

Funny you bring up the vehicles. Haven't played HL2 in ages but was thinking about it the other day, and literally all I remember is the can in the beginning and all the vehicle secions. It was definitely a game of it's time. All that acclaim wouldn't be there now though it's still a fun romp. Also those 2 guys looks exact aside from the shirt. He somehow managed to get out of Half Life and into CSD.

Jawmuncher

I see that Splinter Cell Blacklist is 10 bucks over at funstock.
I know it's a Uplay key but damn that price is tempting. Apparently it's cheaper on GMG but since that sale is EU only kinda get screwed out of that.

Blizzard

Banned
This is a long shot, but does anyone have ideas about what might be causing a c0000005 crash when launching Mass Effect? I finally decided to start the game and I can't even get it to display a splash screen. I'm currently going through suggestions in this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022105&page=2

I've tried setting to compatibility for XP SP2, XP SP3, run as administrator, etc. but nothing has changed anything. I can't run Launcher.exe directly as administrator because it complains about a missing XML file. I tried validating files, and Steam reported validation complete, apparently with no files bad.

I've tried manually running the DirectX installer in the folder, I'm running from an installation on the C: drive, and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit home premium.

I've tried manually installing the 1.02 patch (which sounds like it has lots of nice stuff), exactly the same problem.

Levyne

Banned
Running Dragon Age 2 (Origin) through Steam doesn't seem to like the overlay. Already worse than DA:O !

Edit: Okay, fiddled with some Origin settings and got it to work.

I see that Splinter Cell Blacklist is 10 bucks over at funstock.
I know it's a Uplay key but damn that price is tempting. Apparently it's cheaper on GMG but since that sale is EU only kinda get screwed out of that.

I used Hola Unblocker and set my region to UK and got Brothers in Arms and Dark Messiah M&M without a problem.

Blizzard

Banned
This is a long shot, but does anyone have ideas about what might be causing a c0000005 crash when launching Mass Effect? I finally decided to start the game and I can't even get it to display a splash screen. I'm currently going through suggestions in this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022105&page=2

I've tried setting to compatibility for XP SP2, XP SP3, run as administrator, etc. but nothing has changed anything. I can't run Launcher.exe directly as administrator because it complains about a missing XML file. I tried validating files, and Steam reported validation complete, apparently with no files bad.

I've tried manually running the DirectX installer in the folder, I'm running from an installation on the C: drive, and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit home premium.

I've tried manually installing the 1.02 patch (which sounds like it has lots of nice stuff), exactly the same problem.

I think I finally hit on the solution -- manually installing the 1.02 patch and THEN manually running the MassEffectLauncher.exe manually from the game directory, configured for compatibility mode and run-as-administrator. Note that I did NOT run Steam itself as administrator, since I was trying to avoid that to begin with.

Once I ran it once that way, the normal Steam lauch seems to have started working. I'm a bit disconcerted that the 1.02 patch didn't seem to be included on Steam though. I wonder if I'm missing anything else going into this blind.

Just finished Chapter 1 of Witcher 2. Damn, this game has more political intrigue than Game of Thrones.

And these Wild Hunt teases are making me more and more confident that I'll be doing an upgrade especially for Witcher 3.

Aerocrane

It still surprises me how much more I love the driving in GTA IV than V. Just booting it up to cruise around feels so comfortable for me. I love Sleepy Dawgs, but the driving just doesn't do it for me. I really hope Watchdogs feels heavier in vehicles.

You're the first person I know of who has enjoyed driving the landyachts in GTA IV. The driving in Sleeping Dogs is pretty bad, it tries to be like arcade racers, but the driving just feels numb and lacks feedback of any kind.

rookiejet

I played it recently, and I was very much immersed, even when I actively tried to deflect the foreboding atmosphere (doing all sorts of ridiculous things). I liked the pacing; as soon as it would get too wearying, I was dropped into an exhilarating interlude where I would feel like I was on top of things, rather than constantly oppressed by the antagonistic environment and the heavy loneliness.

I was glad to run into people but, I did not like how overly pandering they were. It was jarring because I couldn't (or Gordon didn't) respond to their prompts, or even existence, and these painful silences hung over every encounter. I imagined this emo Gordon pantomiming "yeah, whatever, bitch" to every gleeful npc that greeted him. Not that it wouldn't be understandable, his shit's been thoroughly fucked up.

zkylon

zkylewd
Browsing the library in list mode, sorted by last played date, and checking the achievement unlock date for those games you are still doubtful about.
what

how

this is way too complicated for me

If mate is allowed here, why shouldn't ice hockey be too?
cos mate's relevant to everyone's interest

What else does spreadsheets exist for?
please

And Grandia III runs beautifully off PCSX2...
forgot who was that gave me a lecture on this game sometime ago

looks pretty

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so I learned what happened with Doom 3 BFG. Apparently they released a patch that literally fucked it up for everyone. The game decides what it thinks will result in 60fps and if it doesn't think you'll be able to pull it off, it drops the rendering resolution. So that is what it is doing, even though I handled 4x multisamlping at 60fps on a videocard half as powerful...

FUCK

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what

how

this is way too complicated for me

Hover over the Library tab and select Recent. This will sort your played games by recency, broken down into Today, This Week, This Month and Previously.

Edit: Don't you hate it when you buy cards to max out a badge only to realise that you hadn't already used up your own drops?

zkylon

zkylewd
Hover over the Library tab and select Recent. This will sort your played games by recency, broken down into Today, This Week, This Month and Previously.

Edit: Don't you hate it when you buy cards to max out a badge only to realise that you hadn't already used up your own drops?
i have no idea i thought it was only like chinese farmers that bought cards :I

ok following your thingie, let's see what i beat in 2014....

broken age act 1
guacamelee
banner saga
bio infinite dlc
xenoblade
all xenosagas (fuck yea)
mgr r
hato plus
brothers: a tale of two sons

that's it!

seems like few games but the xenosaga series is like 300 hours long

Status