• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

I've played some The Bureau, and outside the terrible lipsync, I've been enjoying it.
I still don't see why it got such bad reviews.

It's a rough game with bad level design, poor allied AI, and really stiff animations? It doesn't feel like a good shooter, much less a good XCOM? The first-person pitch sounded waaaaay better.

It was really crudely implemented. The player has really poor tools to use and they aren't rewarded for using it in the slightest. It feels incredibly binary as well despite enemies having a "seeing you" meter. I switched back to shooting completely in the last two thirds.

Yeah, the AI throughout has been awful. It's a lot like Uncharted's, where it's got that binary seen/notseen state. Even Hitman: Absolution, which was awful, was bad at this. How did precisely no one manage to learn from Thief?

Hm. Given the player's mobility and things they can use (I love silently leaping behind my enemies, then taking them out), I liked it quite a bit. The thing that bugged me the most was the knockout darts being superpowerful with no real drawbacks other than "you might not have some." What this meant was that things were either REALLY EASY or REALLY HARD. There was no middle ground. Oh, sorry, don't have a gas dart? Well, you'll just have to hope that guy doesn't spot you, 'cause if he does, he'll never let you go.

Really enjoyed Fallout and currently playing Fallout 2 (which has so far been great) - I can't really seem to find a Fallout OT Community thread. Is there one? Would people be interested in one?

Jawmuncher

Really enjoyed Fallout and currently playing Fallout 2 (which has so far been great) - I can't really seem to find a Fallout OT Community thread. Is there one? Would people be interested in one?

I think people would be interested. We seem to have people playing it every month here in SteamGAF. Plus what better time to start a community thread than with the eventual FO4 announcement.

Is it wrong that I kind of want to buy Dark?

I think I enjoy the shittiest of games splendidly!

I've been wanting to grab it to. I have a soft spot for terrible games.
Have been waiting for a 5 dollar price which hasn't happened yet. Can't be any worse than Vampire Rain.

Is it even possible to find the achievements in The Swapper without using a guide? I'm not that far into it, but damn.

It's a rough game with bad level design, poor allied AI, and really stiff animations? It doesn't feel like a good shooter, much less a good XCOM? The first-person pitch sounded waaaaay better.

The poor allied AI is a direct correlation to the orders you are giving them. Granted the lack of self preservation is quite annoying, once you realize this...the game becomes much more enjoyable.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
never seen this warning before

This particular game's community kind of exploded when Jim Sterling posted a video calling them out on infringing copyright in their trailer. (Example) The dev then said that the people that made the video have been fired, and a new video was put in it's place. Then the devs said they never infringed on copyright. Then the devs went on a rampage and banned a lot of people that posted there.

I'm not sure if the dev requested that the forum be tagged in this way, or if Steam has some sort of automated system for detecting the number of average curse words, but people aren't happy.

You could do a LTTP thread for them.

If you don't already have it lined up next, get/play Brotherhood of Steel, too. I'm fairly confident that you're in the throes of the best of the line-up (which puts it high in the rankings for best game period) but despite a lot of the thrashing BoS gets, it's still worth it.

Corpekata

Banned
I've played a bit of Dark. It doesn't seem all that bad so far. Plus you get to play as Geralt of Rivia, basically, since the actor decided not to change anything about his performance for this.

AHA-Lambda

never seen this warning before
xIufrk5.jpg

probably to do with this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805500

DocSeuss

The poor allied AI is a direct correlation to the orders you are giving them. Granted the lack of self preservation is quite annoying, once you realize this...the game becomes much more enjoyable.

I dunno, I had plenty of "why aren't you doing..." moments in the game. Seriously. They should not be that dumb.

This is 90% of my playtime in Bureau:

Robert-Downey-Jr.-Survive-Quote-Gif-In-Tropic-Thunder.gif

Turfster

Is it wrong that I kind of want to buy Dark?

I think I enjoy the shittiest of games splendidly!

Yes. You are a bad person.
DARK is so shit they didn't even bother animating climbing, you just teleport around the place (including halfway up walls as a way of 'climbing')... and the writing is emo 13 year old level. The stealth is a joke and the combat is horrible.
Avoid.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bureau AI is fine on the lower two difficulties where their fuckups don't mean game over. On the hardest difficulty when they ignore your commands it's impossible not to miss and get frustrated with.

Is it even possible to find the achievements in The Swapper without using a guide? I'm not that far into it, but damn.

I played through the game without a guide (those beautiful puzzles that occasionally made every lobe of my brain just ache) and didn't get a single one.

I looked up some of the locations and I'm pretty sure there was no way in hell I would have just happened upon them. YMMV, obviously.

You could do a LTTP thread for them.

If you don't already have it lined up next, get/play Brotherhood of Steel, too. I'm fairly confident that you're in the throes of the best of the line-up (which puts it high in the rankings for best game period) but despite a lot of the thrashing BoS gets, it's still worth it.

LTTP get brushed under the carpet pretty quickly, and there's a lot to talk about in Fallout. It really deserves it's own Community thread.

I think people would be interested. We seem to have people playing it every month here in SteamGAF. Plus what better time to start a community thread than with the eventual FO4 announcement.

Never really made an OT Community thread before, so I'll probably need some help/advice.

FO4 and Fallout 1 & 2 getting new ESRB ratings under Bethesda's name. Good times!

Jawmuncher

LTTP get brushed under the carpet pretty quickly, and there's a lot to talk about in Fallout. It really deserves it's own Community thread.

Never really made an OT Community thread before, so I'll probably need some help/advice.

They're honestly not to picky if it's just a community thread.
You can basically just look at any Community Thread currently and just copy the format.
Usually just a banner, series synopsis, and listing the games in the franchise

Yes. You are a bad person.
DARK is so shit they didn't even bother animating climbing, you just teleport around the place (including halfway up walls as a way of 'climbing')... and the writing is emo 13 year old level. The stealth is a joke and the combat is horrible.
Avoid.

Dude.....THAT sounds fucking awesome.
maybe not 9.99 awesome but definitely worth the 5 bucks i'll wait for it to drop.

I played through the game without a guide (those beautiful puzzles that occasionally made every lobe of my brain just ache) and didn't get a single one.

I looked up some of the locations and I'm pretty sure there was no way in hell I would have just happened upon them. YMMV, obviously.

I'm really loving the puzzles, now that I finally have the mechanics understood. I understand finishing the game and getting no cheevos, mainly because they are all going through false walls.

Didn't know if there was some kind of in game hint or something as to locations of the messages. I'm guessing not.

Turfster

Dude.....THAT sounds fucking awesome.
maybe not 9.99 awesome but definitely worth the 5 bucks i'll wait for it to drop.

I pushed myself through the tutorial and the beginning of the game for free (which was still like, an hour or two of "gameplay"), and I felt ripped off =p

Considering I have enjoyed games like Aliens Colonial Marines, more than say something like Bioshock infinite and Tomb Raider. It'll probably fit right in with my very odd tastes.

oh my word

I'm pretty sure I reached my final form:

209000_2014-04-21_000hpaav.png

The combat in Batman Origins is god-tier.

Please tell me that was at least in the 100 to 1 map. That's pretty boss mode.

Dark Souls II is available to pre-load now.

Shit yes. Now I just need my key from Nuuvem.

Steam seriously needs some quality control. I wouldn't doubt that somebody will release Flappy Bird.
Would be nice.
Didn't Gabe Newell say something like people will be able to open up their own storefronts and curate it themselves?

Can't wait until that happens so I can find someone who has tastes similar to mine and just bookmark their store and go there.

hmm a Win7 reinstall is in due soon. Thinking of also switching from Ubuntu 13.04 to something else too. And should probably repartition too while I'm at it. Not in the mood for it :p

Jawmuncher

oh my word

Yeah it's odd but I have just learned to live with it. Usually if a game is considered garbage. I'll be the one guy who said he liked it.

I pushed myself through the tutorial and the beginning of the game for free (which was still like, an hour or two of "gameplay"), and I felt ripped off =p[/QUOTE

Nothing's worse than feeling ripped off then when you got it for free.
A few games I borrowed back in the day gave me that feeling.

_hekk05

Banned

I found 2 of them by accident, 1 I actively tried swapping into.

I can see how some of the ones you have to jump to reach can be gotten by accident too, but they require really precise jumps.

Yeah without a guide its pretty much impossible to get them all unless you spend a shit load of time swapping everywhere

zkylon

zkylewd
Just finished Fallout 1, so it's nice to jump straight into Fallout 2 with all of that still in mind. I can't put my finger on what they've changed, but what they have changed has been for the best so far.
it's mostly little changes as far as features go, like being able to actually equip your dudes and better ai and such but it's just the wealth of content and the quality of it

it's amazing

i still play it to this day and find new things

there'll never be a game like it

dani_dc

Cancel my Darks Souls II collectors edition and buy the base game from GMG or keep it and wait a week/pay more?

Then again I'm full of work regarding college for the next few weeks....

Decisions decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom