• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jshackles, would it be possible to give us more details for playtime?
Steam shows only the time spent in game in the last two weeks, which might be problematic for people who want to time their replay for a long game (say, Fallout: New Vegas).
Also, would it be possible to manually decrease the playtime by a specified amount (to remedy the SAM/glitch induced wanton game time)?

Unfortunately I'm limited in this area to only what is presented in the Steam API. There is a field in the API for "total playtime" and a field for "playtime 2weeks".

Also unfortunately there is no way I know of to "reset" the playtime of a particular game or decrease it's play time by a specified amount. Since that is all stored server-side, I would need access to those servers to make it happen.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Two games not taken in my giveaway yet.

A Game Of Dwarves Gold Edition with DLC -- MB-0FAF8DC5C9E9DB12 - Taken
This is a game inspired by the Dungeon Keeper series, in which you build and fortify your Dwarven kingdom from hordes of monsters, though in a much more casual style compared to the title it takes inspiration from. Worth it if you want some strategy, but nothing too complex, and a management title you won't ever get lost in how much it offers.
Thanks mate! Looks very interesting. Something to keep me bussy untill Dark Souls 2 arrives, hehe. :p

Knurek

Also unfortunately there is no way I know of to "reset" the playtime of a particular game or decrease it's play time by a specified amount. Since that is all stored server-side, I would need access to those servers to make it happen.

I take it that saving a cookie with the 'time to decrease the amount Steam returns' for selected appIDs is too clunky of a solution?

masterkajo

Got a Gun Monkeys Booster Pack, decided to make a new Enhanced Steam function:

2MBX49p.png

Genius. Now I don't have to go look up the individual cards everytime a booster pack drops. Thank you!

BruteUA

Unfortunately I'm limited in this area to only what is presented in the Steam API. There is a field in the API for "total playtime" and a field for "playtime 2weeks".

I see two options then.

1. They hire you
B) We do it first Mission: Impossible style, and you have to trust one of us morons not to drop the rope while you're hanging above their secure workstation.

Piano

Banned

At the very least is there a way to display fractions of an hour once you get above whatever the cut off is? Some of the Steam Calculator websites still display it but on my profile once I get above 20? it just shows whole hours.

Thanks for the extension, it's fantastic!

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for May

Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for each month by submitting mini recommendations.
Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in May that is on Steam.
2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
3. Send me a PM with what you have written.

Deadline:
t1398870000z0.png

Who is doing what:

- Killer is Dead - Dr Dogg
- Always Sometimes Monsters - BinaryPork2737
- The Forest.- Grief.exe
- Wolfenstein - Levyne
- Battleblock Theater - dark_inferno

PM'd you about M.A.V.

Quick google search brought this location up:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<your unique user ID number>\202310\local\ridge racer unbounded

Don't think so. They said something in the sense of "You can still play it fine without GFWL, so no need"

hmm

Ok

I wonder if Capcom plans to do something about RE5. That game just isn't fun playing alone.

Grief.exe

Portal 2 was excellent. Improvement over Portal 1 in every way, and I loved the narrative and voice acting.

One thing I didn't like was the pre-rendered cut scene at the end. Seems very anti-Valve.

anyone wanna get this killing floor playfire achievement? "beat office, long game, normal"

Too bad I already removed it, would help you out otherwise.
One way to get it very easily though is to join a server that's in the last waves.
I was lucky to find a server that was playing in the last wave right away, a few minutes later I got the achievement.

Quick google search brought this location up:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<your unique user ID number>\202310\local\ridge racer unbounded

Weird, I've never had a game nuke my progress like RRU when I've uninstalled through Steam in the past. Normally the game asks before doing so.

Tizoc

Wow there's barely much info on Wayward Manor, other than the fact that it's from Neil Gaiman and the creator of Icarus Proudbottom series.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I see two options then.

1. They hire you
B) We do it first Mission: Impossible style, and you have to trust one of us morons not to drop the rope while you're hanging above their secure workstation.
Why are both options written with a different numerical system each?

Too bad I already removed it, would help you out otherwise.
One way to get it very easily though is to join a server that's in the last waves.
I was lucky to find a server that was playing in the last wave right away, a few minutes later I got the achievement.

hey I actually just did this. By this I mean hid behind everyone

Kiru

Well, tabletop simulator was an interesting experience today. Played some texas hold em with random dudes there. Controls are a bit wonky. I think it has potential, it's still early access.

rookiejet

Yeah the ABXY thing is a concern as well. And I'm really curious if the buttons can be rearranged on the Wii Classic.

I've taken a 360 controller apart for modding, for example, and each ABXY button has a notch cut into it, in a different place, so that you can't merely rearrange the order any way you please (the button labels would end up rotated improperly).

I'd like to use the Wii Classic Controller too, but it seemed like too many (unstable) hoops to jump through to make it work, last I checked.

I use a Logitech F710 instead, it has a _great_ d-pad, surprisingly accurate, and nice and click-y shoulder buttons. Only complaint I have is the DualShock-style convex thumbsticks, but that's a minor thing for me. Some more discerning users also complained of a slight "deadzone" with regards to the stick's travel response; I haven't compared it to the 360 controller, but whatever the case may be, I had subconsciously adjusted to it and it was never a problem.

There are multiple versions with varying features (vibration, wireless) but similar base design, so you may opt for a cheaper one if you're only going to use it at the desk.

I'll stop sounding like a shill now.

Preview video from IGN. The art style and interface look amazing.

I equate a historical theme with skeumorphism, so the flat, minimalist UI seems dissonant. I like Age of Wonders III's more ornate UI, with the scrolls and silly chrome all over the place.

Seems like there a lot of new (and upcoming) 4Xs to choose from lately. 2014, year of the 4X.

Vibranium

Banned
Portal 2 was excellent. Improvement over Portal 1 in every way, and I loved the narrative and voice acting.

One thing I didn't like was the pre-rendered cut scene at the end. Seems very anti-Valve.

Yeah, that was kind of weird considering Valve's stance on pre-rendered cutscenes.

Another thing about the Portal games is that they make me want to see Valve tackle a singe-player game with a protagonist who actually speaks, I honestly feel the days of the silent character are coming to an end. Gordon Freeman works because we know he's more of a tool of higher forces like the G-Man, but it feels weird with Chell. I feel that Valve would easily be able to create a main character with a full-fledged personality and quality voice acting (they cast J.K. Simmons as Cave Johnson after all).

Another leftover.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Two Worlds II -- MB-035C061EDB93786E - Taken by Ingueferroque. 4 entrants total.

t1398208379z1.png

DocSeuss

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for May

Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for each month by submitting mini recommendations.
Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in May that is on Steam.
2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
3. Send me a PM with what you have written.

Deadline:
t1398870000z0.png

Who is doing what:

- Killer is Dead - Dr Dogg
- Always Sometimes Monsters - BinaryPork2737
- The Forest.- Grief.exe
- Wolfenstein - Levyne
- Battleblock Theater - dark_inferno
- Transistor - MMBosstones86
- M.A.V. - More_Badass

I would love to send you something on Tropico 5, the most important video game of all time, but real-life problems are... well, they're a pain. Up to THREE group projects this weekend, for one thing. Two assignments to finish before school tomorrow... oh, and I gotta do two five-minute documentaries on FPSes and Let The Bullets Fly. So there's that.

Dis gonna be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom