• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your replies.
I have finally made my mind up, and right now I am downloading Portal 2 - I ended up also purchasing The final hours :D

Played Portal 2 from the beginning and clocked about 6 hours before I got all reward achievements.
You might want to look up guides for 2-4 of the SP-achievements (Door Prize, Pit Boss, Schrodinger's Catch and Preservation of Mass), the rest you get from just playing.
The co-op achievements, which also are the most valuable ones, you can get in 10 minutes (plus maybe 20-30 mins to unlock a specific level).
Shoot me a message if you need someone to do the co-op part with and I'll help you out (or just add me on Steam).

I don't know when I will be able to play Portal 2 - usually I like to play in SP -, either way it's very decent of you to offer to help me out, I am adding you right now.

You are not its target audience.

It's impressively cheap actually considering you are allowed to use it for full commercial games.

There must be something wrong. I mean its much more expensive on their site so why should it be so much cheaper on steam?

And yeah im not the target audience but my gf is. And she just wants to work with it at home but she cant because its so damn expensive. And now she uses blender and is happy with it because its free and Maya/Max are just a bit better than Blender.

And dont forget Zbrush.

Dr Dogg

So not all of the kinks were quite worked out...

You should've seen him talking with that expression. Wish I had been running fraps.

Hahaha thankfully my Bruce didn't look quite as screwed up.
FDE89C1E519A39BD18EBCA62E74AED4221472846

Though when he was talking he looked like he had a massive amount of botox work done as not a single expression on his face moved bar his lips.

Rainy Dog

Just realised that I didn't own either of the Portal games on Steam. Only ever played them on the PS3. I've of course put that right straight away with the current bundle sale.

Saty

2K Gamespy shutdown update: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-04-gamespy-servers-to-shut-down-next-month
2K will be migrating the PC versions of Borderlands, Civilization 3 and Civilization 4 - along with their expansions - to Steamworks following GameSpy's multiplayer server shutdown.

The games will briefly go offline starting on 31st May while they make the transition.

Unfortunately, the PS3 versions of Borderlands and Civilization Revolution aren't so lucky. 2K said on its support page that it's "currently investigating the technical feasibility of transitioning those titles."

2K's full list of discontinued titles includes the following:
◾Close Combat First to Fight (PC / Mac)
◾Jetfighter (PC)
◾Jetfighter V: Homeland Protector (PC)
◾Leadfoot (PC)
◾Rune (PC)
◾Stronghold 2 (PC)
◾Stronghold Legends (PC)
◾Top Spin (PS2 / PC)
◾Top Spin 2 (PC / DS)
◾Vietcong (PC)
◾Vietcong Demo (PC)
◾Vietcong Fist Alpha (PC)
◾Vietcong 2 (PC)
◾Vietcong 2 Demo (PC)
◾MLB Fantasy All-Stars (DS)
◾Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (DS)
◾Major League Baseball 2K9 Fantasy All-Stars (DS)
◾NHL 2K10 (Wii)
◾NBA 2K10 (Wii)

Nzyme32

Civ games and Borderlands are apparently now moving to steamworks since the gamespy shutdown.

Here’s 2K’s full list of games that are switching to Steamworks:

Borderlands
Civilization III
Civilization III: Conquests
Civilization III: Play the World
Civilization IV
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
Civilization IV: Colonization
Civilization IV: Warlords

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/22/2...s-and-borderlands-from-gamespy-to-steamworks/

Edit: SATY *shakes fist*

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Civ games and Borderlands are apparently now moving to steamworks since the gamespy shutdown.

Borderlands
Civilization III
Civilization IV

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/22/2...s-and-borderlands-from-gamespy-to-steamworks/

I wonder if in the process of moving the Civ IV games to Steamworks they'll finally enable Steamplay for these titles so they don't show up twice in our libraries.

Kiru

Borderlands
Civilization III
Civilization IV

Saw that news some minutes ago. I could have been the first here :p

I don't remember much but overall design was nonexistent, combat got repetitive and boring very soon and it was glitchy as hell. It even crashed after the final boss.

Well, if you don't have an Nvidia graphics card it doesn't sound like your experience with the sequel will be better from a technical standpoint. I think P2 is a much better game than P1. I thought Prototype's design was kind of lazy and video game-y in the worst kinds of ways (collect things, why because video game), whereas Prototype 2's design has your powers, abilities and upgrades integrated into all of the activities you can do. You're provided reasons for doing everything--all of the missions, all of the openworld activities, all of the random enemies you can encounter that have upgrades--because everything feeds back into making Heller more powerful and fun to play with. The baseline idea of Prototype, having these ridiculous powers, is solid but the execution was lacking. Prototype 2 refined that experience and made it more enjoyable. I blasted through the game in two days when it first came out and it looks like I'm going to do the same again on a New Game+.

I'm still waiting for Dark Souls with Steamworks. Even if it takes years for me to replay it I just want a working version of the game on my account.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I wonder if in the process of moving the Civ IV games to Steamworks they'll finally enable Steamplay for these titles so they don't show up twice in our libraries.

or the new updated one is a new entry in the library like they did with company of heroes and everything is now three times there :p

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nope, they want to convert their Word files with graphs to PDF and the other building wants to edit the graphs and convert the PDF back to Excel and they bitch when it messes up.

EDIT: "Hey Milamber, can you get this PDF into Word so I can edit something?"
"It's a Picture of a menu in PDF format"
"I know that but I want to change the prices on it"
Going Word/Excel/Powerpoint -> PDF is easy if you have Office 2010+ (maybe in 2007 too, can't remember), since you have an export as PDF option.
The other way around is a pain yes, most PDF editors being expensive doesn't help :(

Rather than rant, here is a video I shared to my IT team that we all agree on.

EDIT: It may be comedy but it is a real situation we face with other departments.
I saw that a few days ago, I laughed hard. Then I started crying because it's true.

Just realised that I didn't own either of the Portal games on Steam. Only ever played them on the PS3. I've of course put that right straight away with the current bundle sale.
Didn't the PS3 version give a Steam version as well?

I wonder if in the process of moving the Civ IV games to Steamworks they'll finally enact Steamplay for these titles so they don't show up twice in our libraries.
I hope this happens because having those duplicates annoys me to no end
sorry Jase :p

Hahaha thankfully my Bruce didn't look quite as screwed up.

Though when he was talking he looked like he had a massive amount of botox work done as not a single expression on his face moved bar his lips.

It snapped back to his normal resting pose shortly after, I just think there was an issue with a facial expression from the combat state not being unloaded before the in-game cutscene started to play. So it had a screwed up expression from multiple animations blending.

HoosTrax

That EG article says that EA is looking into what to do about BF2, BFBC2, etc. That's going to be awkward if they port it to whatever Origin uses.

Deques

I hope they use this as an opportunity to sort out the double listings of Windows/OSX versions.

Maybe making the expansions DLC with a new launcher to choose which to play as well

I'm probably asking too much.
you are making JaseC disappointed...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wait so with Gamespy dying we might get a consistently functional way to connect for co-op in Borderlands 1 finally after all these years? Wow.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
They can always go the Company of Heroes way, and make a new app for the Steamworks version.
Dat +1 power to JaseC
But CivIV has 4 entries, then'd have like 4 more ;_;

Dolor

More importantly
to me
, maybe they will add trading cards and other steamworks features in the transition.

Echoplx

That EG article says that EA is looking into what to do about BF2, BFBC2, etc. That's going to be awkward if they port it to whatever Origin uses.

Origin doesn't have any kind of universal API for MP like Steam does, all the games use their own servers.

Makes Origin exclusivity look even more stupid.

Twinduct

Ah man forgot I said I wanted Starlight Inception on the Vita and not on PC :<
Kinda sad about that now, Need to charge the Vita and everything now :<

Rainy Dog

Didn't the PS3 version give a Steam version as well?

Yeah, but I didn't have a Steam ID at the time and eventually set one up independently from my PSN tag as it looked like it was going to prefix my Steam ID with a -PSN during the set-up. So I couldn't link the accounts and redeem the code.

mrgone

That'd be great! One step closer to getting rid of that "you done fucked up, publisher" category in my library. I bet Rockstar will never let me delete it, though

I'm sore that it took GameSpy closing for Borderlands to move to Steamworks for co-op, though. It's something that really needed to be done a long time ago while the game was both broken and relevant. It's almost insulting to fix it now.

Tizoc

OK so Flatout 2, Grid 2 and Dirt 2 are recommended.
Mind you I want games that have a kickass sense of speed, Burnout-like crashes are a bonus, as well as superb graphics.

Should I wait for the upcoming Grid: Autosport and see if it's good?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Home Sheep Home 2 Desura Key -- MB-5ED58478C889FC5A - Taken by Wok. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Master Reboot Desura Key -- MB-F85E310D2B3B6B9D - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Samphi Desura Key -- MB-EEE78A17D3B07056
ulgzbKC.png
CAFE 0 Desura Key -- MB-DB6F4E643D4644E4
Master Reboot -- MB-EFF1D11DA8F0AFE2 - Taken by tylergregg. 16 entrants total.
Tales from the Dragon Mountain: The Strikx -- MB-C59232FAE56FCE7A - Taken by Stumpokapow. 3 entrants total.
Jolly Rover -- MB-5838FAA92E6558C2 - Taken by Vecks. 4 entrants total.
Ultratron -- MB-BD8FE313ED5E771B - Taken by fuzzy123. 12 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Jibs Arcade Desura Key -- MB-4ECDCE9379BCA0FA - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 1 entrants total.
Imagine me -- MB-EADA93F8D3A5F396 - Taken by KenOD. 15 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-7F39C32735348ECD
ulgzbKC.png
Jazz, Trump's Journey Desura Key -- MB-595D2817B51AD491
Threadspace Hyperbol -- MB-A054944082E60057 - Taken by zeroOman. 2 entrants total.

t1398270793z1.png

X05

Yeah, but I didn't have a Steam ID at the time and eventually set one up independently from my PSN tag as it looked like it was going to prefix my Steam ID with a -PSN during the set-up. So I couldn't link the accounts and redeem the code.
Oh, that's a shame though. Couldn't you link it at another time though? (I ask because I have no idea how the Steam integration actually worked there)

Actually I have 8 entries, apparently there are 4 entries for Mac versions as well as the Windows ones.
Yeah, the first 4 was meant to be 8 :p
The idea is the same though, we'd get way too many more :(

That is hopelessly cluttered. Hopefully they bring it down to 1 when they migrate it over to Steamworks.
I would personally love that.
Jase will riot or something though :p

chugen

have fun

ModBot 3 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Jagged Alliance Collection -- MB-55FF9BEC3EBC5FE8 - Taken by derExperte
Tank Operations European Campaign -- MB-F4B80FF5C4F20B44 - Taken by Ingueferroque
Dungeons Steam Special Edition -- MB-D2F999EB5BC96A6D - Taken by Volimar
Dungeons DLC Pack 1 -- MB-A27E9066A6FB9F92
The 11th Hour -- MB-E18D5E25B49D4CCB - Taken by Aitor
Desperados Wanted Dead or Alive -- MB-16386E8E7EFFCE5A - Taken by tylergregg
Tower Wars -- MB-5B664B2ED50CE098 - Taken by Widdly Scuds
Darkout -- MB-6D620F772E8F283A - Taken by KenOD
Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition -- MB-BA4FA0183E57FA68 - Taken by Pakkidis
Sniper Ghost Warrior Gold Edition -- MB-7D7F81D12C15AE63 - Taken by Saty
Disciples III Renaissance -- MB-A910093F98DA5C0A - Taken by dave is ok
Xotic Complete -- MB-32833258CA844FCD - Taken by nightstorm
Shadow Man -- MB-661AE55C581D1C91 - Taken by Kiru
Tropico 3 Gold -- MB-56A41B4829002AB9 - Taken by devo1989