• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I equate a historical theme with skeumorphism, so the flat, minimalist UI seems dissonant. I like Age of Wonders III's more ornate UI, with the scrolls and silly chrome all over the place.

Seems like there a lot of new (and upcoming) 4Xs to choose from lately. 2014, year of the 4X.

I think you make a very good point, and I'm not sure I would necessarily disagree. It really depends on the skill of the developers. There are certainly games that have taken this too far: for example, I feel Warlock 2 is altogether too baroque in its aesthetic, to the point of feeling claustrophobic at times. And just as having to work at a cluttered desk can be an unpleasant experience that makes it difficult to concentrate, so an overly ornate UI could be a disadvantage in a 4X game that by its nature has to convey a considerable amount of information. (Of course, I understand that being confronted by a stylistically dissonant interface might be similarly disruptive of your immersion.)

MRORANGE

The way you wrote that, it reads like a track list. ("Steam Thread: The Album"? >.>)

Half the tracks sound like it's a from a 00's metal band.

no one for Tropico 5 yet? disappointed.gif

I would love to send you something on Tropico 5, the most important video game of all time, but real-life problems are... well, they're a pain. Up to THREE group projects this weekend, for one thing. Two assignments to finish before school tomorrow... oh, and I gotta do two five-minute documentaries on FPSes and Let The Bullets Fly. So there's that.

Dis gonna be fun.

Well there's still 7 days if no one claims it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've always liked TimeShift on 360 so decided to pick it up on PC again due to it being $5 finally in Amazons sale. Still fun that game and from the first hour or so I've played it still holds up well. Doesn't look too bad for a 7 year old game and the time mechanic is still cool. I don't think I will ever get bored stopping time, taking an enemies weapon and then watching them go 'da fuck ?' when time starts again :p PC version seems very decent with good options like FOV slider etc. Not a must have by any means but I'm enjoying it again :) It also reminds me of the days where you actually have to watch your health metre, no gradual blood splatter on your screen - it goes sort of red and then you're dead.

rookiejet

I think you make a very good point, and I'm not sure I would necessarily disagree. It really depends on the skill of the developers. There are certainly games that have taken this too far: for example, I feel Warlock 2 is altogether too baroque in its aesthetic, to the point of feeling claustrophobic at times. And just as having to work at a cluttered desk can be an unpleasant experience that makes it difficult to concentrate, so an overly ornate UI could be a disadvantage in a 4X game that by its nature has to convey a considerable amount of information. (Of course, I understand that being confronted by a stylistically dissonant interface might be similarly disruptive of your immersion.)

I can definitely see that. After a certain point, I imagine you'd want it to be transparent as you're "playing the numbers." My eyes tend to glaze over when I'm first met with a lot of information, and a cold-looking, spartan UI only seems to compound that. The silly ornaments hold my attention long enough to understand the numbers.

Salsa

54ZsavU.jpg

this is hilarious

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I vent by giving away games, enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project -- MB-D8A99CF1645EFF77 - Taken by alr1ght. 3 entrants total.
Litil Divil -- MB-1A616020C3301DE5 - Taken by Deques. 5 entrants total.
A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2 Dual Pack -- MB-62BE183ED7EFD585 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 5 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Jazz, Trumps Journey (Desura) -- MB-2BEF8DB774A7BCEF
Tales From The Dragon Mountain: The Strix -- MB-BFFBA9B59F3BBDCA - Taken by arts&crafts. 4 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Cafe 0: The Drowned Mermaid: Deluxe (Desura) -- MB-7AD0E97271CA2110 - Taken by Jason Frost
Jolly Rover -- MB-0333A40AA4DFFAC3 - Taken by _hekk05. 5 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
6180 The Moon: Deluxe (Desura) -- MB-192935CC61DE1F74
Tobes Vertical Adventure -- MB-0805E0E53A5C7277 - Taken by bobnowhere. 2 entrants total.
Imagine Me -- MB-5434C1C6758A5B18 - Taken by Kifimbo. 5 entrants total.
Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory -- MB-F277391C5A32321F - Taken by tylergregg. 3 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
The Lootcastle (Desura) -- MB-5B93695960B42D6F - Taken by Deques. 1 entrants total.
C-RUSH -- MB-244699515D538348 - Taken by derExperte. 4 entrants total.
Droid Assault -- MB-8AA3309FF912AEDF - Taken by Alduin. 3 entrants total.
The 7th Guest -- MB-85A05482495C383E - Taken by Gez. 7 entrants total.
ThreadSpace: Hyperbol -- MB-59971CFE659506AC - Taken by Aitor. 5 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Another Perspective (Desura) -- MB-472B4C4369A2CF70
Samphi (Deusra) -- MB-F3D675F2E5819877
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi -- MB-FA341CCBA5A70E6B - Taken by NingenJanai. 3 entrants total.

t1398222149z1.png

Started Valdis Story. Only an hour in, but it's looking like an enjoyable metroidvania

Have fun with it. I loved the game, but there were a few spots that needed polishing, namely the unnecessarily obtuse and damn-near useless map.

The boss fights were among some of the most brutal I've played in any game. But that was for the game's benefit, in my opinion.

Levyne

Banned
I tried Starbound, put 15 hours into it, but I can't really enjoy it as everyone else seems too. It's just too sandbox-y and open ended. Explore to find stuff, dig stuff, build stuff, make stronger stuff to fight stuff so you can get better stuff to make stronger stuff to fight stronger stuff. I dunno. I find I just need a little more motivation than that.

For what it sets out to do, though, it's a pretty neat title.

nampad

Really hate Killing Floor, game is obviously some cheap amateur mod. Don't get all the praise the game gets, I mean it was one of the more popular mods and got a standalone version.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Really hate Killing Floor, game is obviously some cheap amateur mod. Don't get all the praise the game gets, I mean it was one of the more popular mods and got a standalone version.

Could you perhaps construct a few reasons why you dislike it so, so that we may be able to help you understand why it is considered to be one of the better co-op experiences around? I mean, it isn't for everyone but it just seems like you got spanked hard by it and are lashing out more than putting some thought behind it.

Chronoja

Naw, Killing Floor is glorious. Outside of maybe the boringly slow rate of levelling some of the classes popping heads in slow mo never gets old. OK it's a bit outdated graphically, and with a bad team it can be a bit of a white wash but "cheap amateur mod" is a bit overboard.

Obviously it's all subjective, if you hate it you hate it, that's cool, but there's fun to be had if you can get past it. Nothing like whipping out a LAW rocket launcher and just laying waste to groups of foes or cracking the double barrel into the face of a scrake. Lots of fun.

MUnited83

For you.
So, why didn't anybody made a Foosball Simulator with controls like Surgeon Simulator?

Feel free to send me part of the profits later

I like it better than the L4D games, mostly.
I just wish I had the patient to create a proper PGP profile for it.

I don't see how the games are comparable really? One is a horde mode and the other is a co-op campaign/perfect execution of the asymmetric multiplayer experience.

One could say that in L4D, a player just travels linearly (overall direction) to go from A to B with mini-horde spawns along the way. Follow it up with a straight horde mode map where you have to survive beyond a time limit then exit.

nampad

Could you perhaps construct a few reasons why you dislike it so, so that we may be able to help you understand why it is considered to be one of the better co-op experiences around? I mean, it isn't for everyone but it just seems like you got spanked hard by it and are lashing out more than putting some thought behind it.

Naw, Killing Floor is glorious. Outside of maybe the boringly slow rate of levelling some of the classes popping heads in slow mo never gets old. OK it's a bit outdated graphically, and with a bad team it can be a bit of a white wash but "cheap amateur mod" is a bit overboard.

Obviously it's all subjective, if you hate it you hate it, that's cool, but there's fun to be had if you can get past it. Nothing like whipping out a LAW rocket launcher and just laying waste to groups of foes or cracking the double barrel into the face of a scrake. Lots of fun.

I think the gameplay is just boring. I am not a big fan of horde modes anyway but this one feels exceptionally bad.
I think it is mostly because of the enemies, which I don't like. The grunts are so slow and the other types are just weird choices, some of which feel unneccessary bullet spongy (saw guy). The mix/balance of them isn't something that feels good or memorable. Not a fan of the no crosshair design decision because it feels unneccassary forced for 'pseudo realism'. The slow mo effect feels so cheap and is just overused. Just let me play the game instead of slowing down the moment every other minute. Overall, the gameplay doesn't feel dynamic enough for me.

The levels I saw didn't have any memorable design, the voice acting is bad, the artstyle is uninspired and ugly as hell, the music is annoying and the UI is not intuitive. As I said before, everything feels like a cheap amateurish mod and this is coming from the guy who used to play mods all day.

Hate may be a strong word, but I didn't have any fun with the game so far. And it may be true that I am a little bit frustrated because I just played it for the Playfire rewards and did fail some times, but I still hadn't any fun trying doing them. I played a lot of coop games and also failed at some of them without being so bored.

I like it better than the L4D games, mostly.
I just wish I had the patient to create a proper PGP profile for it.

It's the exact opposite for me, I really like L4D.

NIN90

KF's biggest draw for me is the satisfying gunplay. Popping zombie heads just feels great.
Welding doors is a nice gameplay system aswell since it promotes teamplay in a unique way.

I like Killing Floor, it's a game I have to play in bursts then take a break from, but I keep coming back to it for a reason. Poppin' zeds is always satisfying, Sharpshooter's guns are so fun. The reason it seems like a cheap amateur mod is because, well, that is exactly what it was -- you don't go into it for AAA production value.

Caerith

I didn't know CSD was made by a gaffer. All I know about it is that Caerith seems to play it all the time
3AQmK.gif
I think I'm done with CSD after about 45 hours and getting all the achievements. Still high on the leaderboards, too-- third in extreme, fourth overall, and first in friends-only (although Copons is catching up). The NG+/extreme update really breathed new life into it.

I'm really looking forward to chubigans' next game (CF?).

Yeah, that was kind of weird considering Valve's stance on pre-rendered cutscenes.

Another thing about the Portal games is that they make me want to see Valve tackle a singe-player game with a protagonist who actually speaks, I honestly feel the days of the silent character are coming to an end. Gordon Freeman works because we know he's more of a tool of higher forces like the G-Man, but it feels weird with Chell. I feel that Valve would easily be able to create a main character with a full-fledged personality and quality voice acting (they cast J.K. Simmons as Cave Johnson after all).
With Chell, it's not that she's a "dangerous mute lunatic" but that she simply refuses to speak because she won't give GLaDOS or Wheatley the satisfaction of a response.

Khronico

I like Killing Floor, it's a game I have to play in bursts then take a break from, but I keep coming back to it for a reason. Poppin' zeds is always satisfying, Sharpshooter's guns are so fun. The reason it seems like a cheap amateur mod is because, well, that is exactly what it was -- you don't go into it for AAA production value.

The lack of production value is part of the charm. Really nails that B grade movie aesthetic.

Edit: also has some of the best worst voice quips in a mp game.

Cheddahz

Banned
Well everyone, I finally completed Final Fantasy X tonight, which means that I'll be ready to play Dark Souls 2 whenever it unlocks!

Tellaerin

Do punches still hurt him

Oh man. I would be no good if I saw Batman getting manhandled by a bunch of unarmed thugs while he was wearing that thing.

Well everyone, I finally completed Final Fantasy X tonight, which means that I'll be ready to play Dark Souls 2 whenever it unlocks!

Grats, man! Hope you enjoyed it. (It's probably my favorite Final Fantasy. Really liked the world and the chemistry between the characters.)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm probably about 6 or so hours behind you, playing on the Vita. Also immediately pre-ordered the new Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call. Wish both of these games were coming to Steam.

Grief.exe

You can still take an objective look at the game despite not enjoying the game play.

Killing Floor is a solid game with some fun mechanics, massive post-release support, and plenty of mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom