• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite fearing the standard Ubisoft openworld bloat I'm kind of interested in Watch_Dogs now. The spider tank digital trips looks ridiculous and video game-y in all the right kinds of ways.

Dambrosi

Banned
Huh. free Red Orchestra was my 700th Steam game.

Kinda dulls the pain of the third and final yellow light death of my old PS3 last night, just a little bit.

Tizoc

I'd give Ridge Racer Unbounded a try, it's also an arcade-y racer (I assumed that's what you were looking for based on your list.) I liked the mechanic of voluntarily smashing into the environment and other players to gain a speed boost, sliding ridiculously through corners and into gas containers to blow up your competition. It had great feeling of impish recklessness, and the soundtrack fit the mood perfectly (even though I don't normally like dubstep.)

Also Midnight Club Los Angeles but that's not "Steam" so we shall not recommend it overtly. Only in hushed tones. This is special spoiler-tag technology, that will let us speak in secret, it will disappear when you refresh the page. Viva la Resistance!

Praise gaben.

Thanks I'll add it to my wishlist and grab it if I ever find it for cheap.

Knurek

Richard & Alice has a store page, this was on a indieroyale 578 years ago

I've played this earlier this year. It's pretty much a terrible game, extremely overwritten with loads of pointless wandering around empty maps and a 'plot twist' that is extremely telegraphed and even if it wouldn't be, just doesn't change anything.

YMMV, but I actively regret spending 3 hours on the game.

Ubisoft openworld bloat is the best kind of bloat.

The Ubisoft approach to openworld game design is why I have low expectations for Watch_Dogs and genuinely believe the Eurogamer preview where they stated it would take 30-40 hours to just finish the game and over 100 hours to do everything. If there's an equivalent to "run around skin x number of these arbitrary animals to make this item upgrade" in "do everything" I know my eyes will glaze over while playing and I'll be tempted to uninstall the game 8-9 hours in.

The Ubisoft approach to openworld game design is why I have low expectations for Watch_Dogs and genuinely believe the Eurogamer preview where they stated it would take 30-40 hours to just finish the game and over 100 hours to do everything. If there's an equivalent to "run around skin x number of these arbitrary animals to make this item upgrade" in "do everything" I know my eyes will glaze over while playing and I'll be tempted to uninstall the game 8-9 hours in.

I'm really hoping that little details such as those boxes of info about people keep the world interesting enough to finish the game.

nexen

This is exactly why I can't get excited about ubisoft open world games anymore.
If feels like they roll in a B or even C team to do the side content. It is always horrible, arbitrary, and un-fun and brings down the whole experience.

Grief.exe

Everyone getting on that Bloodlines hype train

PVi5NQy.png

I beg to differ. I would go for more of a combination of the bee's knees and the dog's bollocks...... the bee's bollocks

Is that like the Simpson's episode where Bart is adopted by Mr. Burns?

Homer: "Or what? You'll release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at you?"
Burns: "Smithers, release the robotic Richard Simmons".

Destiny not having a PC version just seems absurd. There must be some kind of console exclusivity contract in play here, only explanation that allows me to even comprehend the situation.

Indeed.
I'd probably be interested in Destiny if it was coming to PC.

Repect for the Rick & Morty gif.
Do you have a good source of where to find Rick & Morty gifs?

Seems I got four gifts of Dead Island Epidemic in my inventory for some unknown reason. Any interest here for them?

Me too.
Anyone who wants one can add me and send me a Steam IM.

Out of control is so far in my rear view I forgot what it looks like.

for me it depends on their packaging. For example, some of the AssCreed stuff is really hard to slog through....but I breezed through FarCry 3 in 40 hours to 100%.

Assuming they can make the world half interesting, I can't wait for
a good pre order deal on
Watch Dogs

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If feels like they roll in a B or even C team to do the side content. It is always horrible, arbitrary, and un-fun and brings down the whole experience.

Exactly. Contrasted with something like Fallout: New Vegas (or really, pretty much any open world Bethesda game) and it just seems like filler to pad out the playtime.

Does anyone legitimately enjoy the side content in Ass Creed or Far Cry?

Exactly. Contrasted with something like Fallout: New Vegas (or really, pretty much any open world Bethesda game) and it just seems like filler to pad out the playtime.

Far Cry 3 was my GOTY. Never played any AssCreed.

Levyne

Banned

I was just going to post something about New Vegas / Obsidian.

I haven't played an open-ish Ubi game since either Revelations or Far Cry 2.

I'm really hoping that little details such as those boxes of info about people keep the world interesting enough to finish the game.

Well, it looks like the game's single and multiplayer are kind of integrated like a Demon/Dark Souls game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUIowUR4r0o

Online contracts look kind of similar to being invaded. You can also accept challenges from other players while in single player so stealth confirmation of this gaming requiring a persistent internet connection? Or was this already known? Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to the game, the Ghost in the Shell mention made me look at the spider tank video and now I'm looking at more.

Depends on the "side content".
I did all missions in AC, but ignored the flags. I did sync all viewpoints.
I did all story missions in AC2 and got all collectibles. I ignored all of the side missions like the assassination contracts that gave no real benefit .

It's pretty similar in all Sandbox games for me. In the early SR games, I'd skip the extra content if it wasn't tied to respect to unlock story missions. In GTA, I rarely drive a taxi or ambulance or firetruck for fun. Even the hitman stuff got boring in GTA4... to much of a fetch quest most of the time.

Wait, what? What's this about?

I was gonna give it a miss due to owning the game outside Steam, but if there's a significant update to the game, I'll have to change my mind.

Good thing I already have Skullgirls, innit?

What does Skullgirls have to do with V:TM?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I enjoy some of the side content in the Ass Creeds. Depends on which content you mean. I'm not a huge fan of the feathers/equivalents but they're mindless stuff that's easy to get to so I'll get them anyway. Assassin contracts are easy too, so I do them. Some of the side missions are better than parts of the main game, with side quests like the Mad Doctor's Castle in III being way better than a lot of the other sections of the game, in my opinion.

I usually get everything except for 100% sync in missions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Always Remember Me indiegala capsule bundle key added

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Yeah I enjoy the majority of it. I like roaming their open worlds.

I hope that Bound by Flame game turns out well as I'm a sucker for games like that but the combat looks off. Like there is no animations when an enemy gets hit. I dunno.. I'll wait for a real demo.

Started playing some Papers, Please. What a neat game! Its pretty addicting too. Managed to get one of those tokens. Nice that I get some Playfire awards to go along with it.

rookiejet

Those types of games are really appealing to me when I'm sick or very tired, for some reason. I marathoned the Borderland games, and Far Cry 3 that way. I am just sitting there stooping in my malaise, and it's like the pathogens are egging me on, "kill one more, kill one more, one more item, click, click. Hnnngg..."

Deadly

How does the free Red Orchestra 2 work? If you install, you get to keep it forever? Or just click and get? Appears to be the latter from what I can see

Dr Dogg

for me it depends on their packaging. For example, some of the AssCreed stuff is really hard to slog through....but I breezed through FarCry 3 in 40 hours to 100%.

Assuming they can make the world half interesting, I can't wait for
a good pre order deal on
Watch Dogs

Dawg posted his interview with Johnathan Morin and the subject came up about 100%ing the game and content and he said that he finished the main story with a 30% completion rate. He said he was going for a 100% run and at the moment is on 30.8% with 50 hours of playtime. Either there's loads to do or it's more bloated than a puffed up frog.

Yeah either way I'm sold. Got to climb those towers and check off those lists
. Actually Brad from GB talked about the tower aspect and said they were a bit more involved than AC and FC3.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All the Blackwell games have cards now, card overload

and Always Remember Me has cards aswell, but thats probably not new

How does the free Red Orchestra 2 work? If you install, you get to keep it forever? Or just click and get? Appears to be the latter from what I can see

Probably like L4D2. If you hit install before the deadline, you can keep it (you don't have to finish the install).

I did all the side missions in AC2 and loved every bit of it.
I also completed the majority of quests in Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, I plan on going back to FC3 and FC:BD to complete the rest of them now that I've completed the 52 games 1 year challenge.

Also planning to 100% ACIV since apparently it unlocks some pretty funny stuff in-game which sounds cool to me.

nexen

The only one I enjoyed was Blood Dragon.

Looking at the credits roll for ACIV, x360, there are teams in Montreal, Bucharest, Annecy, Singapore, Sofia, Shanghai, Chengdu, Milan, Montpellier, etc etc.

I bet that one or more of those studios is tasked with 'add 40 hours of filler content' and anything they want to do that requires additions or modifications to the main game needs to go through three different offices and translators.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So I ended up playing the first episode of Jurassic Park, and man is it incredibly glitchy. I died during
the Triceratops vs T. Rex fight
because it autofailed some inputs that never appeared on screen, and audio has some annoying volume and popping issues as well. Also the fact that the game considered (spoilered because it's an achievement :p)
"Usted necesita el descanso"
as perfect Spanish for
"You need to rest"
was hilarious though.
I do like that it seems to tackle a few unresolved plotlines from the movie, but I don't think I'll play the rest of the episodes, not much exploration and too many QTEs which is a shame.

I think you needed to set up a Steam ID by signing into Steam with your PSN ID and then redeem the Steam code as you were also signed into your PSN ID whilst playing Portal 2 on the PS3. Something like that.

But I created a new Steam ID from scratch so couldn't do it. I'm happy enough giving Gaben a few quid for the PC version though, no regrets.
Ah, seems a bit convoluted but good to know, I thought it was backwards (sign into Steam from the PS3).

I thought I already had Portal 2.

Ugh... Must resist.
Resistance is futile.

Seriously, get it, it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom