• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one suggest some good FPS games where you have to solve problems and/or (but mainly AND) explore?

I am playing Penumbra and I like the mixture of exploration and problem solving type elements.

I would guess that there are a fair few PC games from over the years that fit the bill?

Check out Minerva, which is a free HL2 mod. The first episode has some combat going on, but that lessens as the episodes go on. It's been ages since I've played it, but it looks like it cleaned up nicely. Some very smart game design going on, there.

And I'm not longer a Junior. Fitting that it should happen in the Steam thread!

Grief.exe

Isn't this the symbol used for syncing in Assassin's Creed?

raZT9CV.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
holy shit at some of these lines in RE:Rev. This Jessica chick in particular is a special kind of terrible

"me and my sweet ass are on the way" really Capcom, really?

holy shit at some of these lines in RE:Rev. This Jessica chick in particular is a special kind of terrible

Haha, when I first heard that line I ended up dying to the wolves because I was laughing so much I couldn't aim properly.

Just comes out of nowhere during a bunch of very serious "Argh, I'm dying" lines.
A+ Capcom

Ruruja

Maybe she works really hard toning her ass and is really proud of it. Who are you to tell her she can't praise her own ass?

Dr Dogg

I don't know what made me tut more loudly, Jessica's dialogue or her quirky taste in fashion. Ah well I'm sure Capcom had a certain demographic in mind when designing her.

Hey man, sometimes in tense life-or-death situations you just have to remind everyone that you've got a butt that won't quit.

DocSeuss

So excited about the Survarium open beta that--wait, what? FRIDAY?

I HAVE STUFF TO DO ON FRIDAY. WORK. FILM SHOOTS. HOMEWORK. MORE HOMEWORK. ALSO MORE HOMEWORK BECAUSE I HAVE SIX PROJECTS.

I hate everything. Survarium, even though it's F2P, is still the closest thing to STALKER we have. Well, all of ya'll should drop whatever you're doing and test it out for me.

epmode

So has anyone confirmed that Tages isn't running in the current Steam release of Dawn of Discovery? I'd really love to buy it!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So excited about the Survarium open beta that--wait, what? FRIDAY?

I HAVE STUFF TO DO ON FRIDAY. WORK. FILM SHOOTS. HOMEWORK. MORE HOMEWORK. ALSO MORE HOMEWORK BECAUSE I HAVE SIX PROJECTS.

I hate everything. Survarium, even though it's F2P, is still the closest thing to STALKER we have. Well, all of ya'll should drop whatever you're doing and test it out for me.

The fuck did the news for this come from ? Is it coming to Steam or from the Survarium website ? I've admittedly not been following it too closely but surprised it's going into open beta.

EDIT - Blah, only PvP for that open beta

Dr Dogg

I've been a bit indifferent since this was announced but getting more interested with every article. Seams GI have a run on things as they has yet another article next week.

So has anyone confirmed that Tages isn't running in the current Steam release of Dawn of Discovery? I'd really love to buy it!

I did 3 installs on 3 different machines after the patch got deployed this morning and it didn't ask me to activate via TAGES once like it did the first time I installed it. I don't know if there's anything different between the Anno 1404 and Dawn of Discovery apps but while the files are still present they are inert for my copy of 1404.

Tellaerin

That sounds amazing in a fun B-movie cheese kind of way. Which is everything I could possibly ask for from a RE game.

I've been a bit indifferent since this was announced but getting more interested with every article. Seams GI have a run on things as they has yet another article next week.

The overall reactions to the game are quite tepid, but given its service model it doesn't have to set the world on fire immediately.

epmode

I did 3 installs on 3 different machines after the patch got deployed this morning and it didn't ask me to activate via TAGES once like it did the first time I installed it. I don't know if there's anything different between the Anno 1404 and Dawn of Discovery apps but while the files are still present they are inert. For my copy of 1404.

You are a lovely person.

I assume that Dawn of Discovery is also running the same patch but the Steam forum has a few comments from people saying the DRM is still present. My best guess is that they're basing that off of the warning on the store page as well as the Tages files being present but at least one person said that he had to reinstall the Tages driver:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/33210/discussions/0/540738052490077694/

Yeah it's still there. I had to download new drivers for it to accept my key...

Grief.exe

You are a lovely person.

I assume that Dawn of Discovery is also running the same patch but the Steam forum has a few comments from people saying the DRM is still present. My best guess is that they're basing that off of the warning on the store page as well as the Tages files being present but at least one person said that he had to reinstall the Tages driver:

Yeah it's still there. I had to download new drivers for it to accept my key...

That comment was from April 17th, the patch to remove the DRM was released today.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished Episode 2 of RE:Rev. Starting to really like it, it really feels like old school RE (as in 1-3 / code veronica), at least during the Jill / Parker sections. Thank god I just got a ammo capacity upgrade because her limited capacity was driving me nuts.

question about the rest of the game, ill spoiler tag it just in case:

I assume you go back and forth between Jill and Chris, do the Chris parts become more like the Jill parts / classic RE? I mean with multiple doors, having to find keys, etc. Because the 1 section I played with Chris, with the hilarious Jessica line, it was basically just 1 long snow linear corridor and that was it >_>

Added the addendum they were missing in the basic description of the game.

Going To Town
Since the success of Minecraft, players have seen more and more games dabble in the art of procedural generation, offering them limitless worlds to explore. Fortnite is the latest to experiment with this new trend, but unlike Minecraft, Epic Games isn't just dropping players in the middle of a giant open world. Instead, players will be exploring (relatively) smaller, themed maps that each contains its own mission objective, such as building and defending a radar dish or closing an energy gate to drive back the invading monsters...because this is a free to play game and Epic needs to monetise it somehow.

Grief.exe

Added the addendum they were missing in the basic description of the game.

Going To Town
Since the success of Minecraft, players have seen more and more games dabble in the art of procedural generation, offering them limitless worlds to explore. Fortnite is the latest to experiment with this new trend, but unlike Minecraft, Epic Games isn't just dropping players in the middle of a giant open world. Instead, players will be exploring (relatively) smaller, themed maps that each contains its own mission objective, such as building and defending a radar dish or closing an energy gate to drive back the invading monsters...because this is a free to play game and Epic needs to monetise it somehow.

I think showing that section without the next paragraph is disingenuous. It seems the 'smaller themed levels' are just a part of a massive open world, procedural generated grid.

Epic is tying this content together with the Town Map (pictured above), a hex-grid overview of the world that looks more like something you'd see in a Firaxis strategy game than a third-person shooter. The town map represents the entirety of a Fortnite campaign and will scale based on the general length the player wants the campaign to be (currently either 10, 20, or 50 hours). Each hex tile represents a different level that players can explore, and corresponds to one of the game's themed environments, which include grassland, forest, suburban, urban, and industrial areas. A fog of war shrouds nearby tiles in mystery, and recedes as the players move deeper into the map.

You can see the individual grid tiles here

townmap.jpg

Tizoc

Hey Narmy lines are the best lines in a video game. Just don't take it too seriously and just laugh at their silliness.

Rhaknar

Heroes of Steel has a key on the Build a Bundle 8 page. But its not listed on Steam yet. Just Greenlit.

thanks for the heads up, activated o/

Why cant all greenlit games get their keys this fast

Dr Dogg

The overall reactions to the game are quite tepid, but given its service model it doesn't have to set the world on fire immediately.

My main gripe was that when I heard the rumblings that Epic might be making a PC focused game again was that I was expecting a UE4 tour de force. Now that more details have emerged about Fortnite and some of the mechanics behind it's I'm very curious about the direction of the game. The business model was not really an issue for me, in fact I think it bodes well for future support and longevity in my opinion.

You are a lovely person.

I see Grief let you know about the date of that post ;)

Only issue I've heard about post patch is that 1 person had their previous saves messed up and a couple more had multiplayer issues. I did a quick runthrough the tutorial scenario and all seamed ok. Sadly not by that pc to check the saves but that's 3 people out of the 50+ people playing it now on Steam.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Heroes of Steel Tactics RPG is actually out now for 10% off, at $10.79, like Trellisaze said ↑

About the Game

Command your party of four heroes as they fight to protect the last remnants of humanity. Born in a time of warring gods and dark powers, your four unlikely heroes embark on a grim journey set in the sprawling and immense post-apocalyptic medieval world of Steel.

It is the dawn of the Seventy First Year after the world has fallen. Four of the Thirteen Gods rose up against their creator, the All-Father, and destroyed him in a cataclysmic event. In the following years of darkness and ruin, the kingdoms of man fell in war and flame. In the final days before all was lost, under the guidance of an ancient order of druids, the survivors retreated to a mysterious underground labyrinth; the Underdeep. Now, in the Underdeep, the last remnants of humanity are scratching out a living and trying to rebuild a society, but are quickly discovering that evil has followed them beneath the surface.

Heroes of Steel is a tactical turn-based RPG in which you lead a group of four unique characters, each with their own talents, special powers, and abilities on their quest through the world of Steel. Engage in tactical combat with the ferocious, devious, and magical enemies who threaten humanity's last settlements. You must decide how to develop each character’s individual strategy in order to build a powerful and dynamic team capable of triumphing over the impossible odds. As you traverse the sprawling world of Steel, your party will face a myriad of challenges, battles, extensive mazes and fearsome enemies of all varieties.

Savor full character customization, deciding how to increase your attributes, skills, and powerful talents. Equip each of your characters with a variety of weapons, armor, and up to three mundane or magical accessories. As your party explores the dungeons, cities and crypts of the world, you will decide the overall strategy and approach your team takes. Choose between hundreds of levels of talents and thousands of combinations of equipment.

Our indie role playing games dev team is actively continuing development to make this the top RPG. We are very receptive to feedback to help Heroes be the best RPG it can be.

With full control of every turn and aspect of your four characters, you can plan every turn with exacting control. Heroes was made for fans of adventure RPGs, board games, and roguelikes. If you enjoy strategy games or tactical RPGs, you will enjoy this classic RPG.

I think showing that section without the next paragraph is disingenuous. It seems the 'smaller themed levels' are just a part of a massive open world, procedural generated grid.

You can see the individual grid tiles here

townmap.jpg

I'm not talking about scale and didn't choose that quote because of the difference in sizes between a Minecraft generated world and Fortnite's. I'm only mentioning the elephant in the room and that's the monetisation because this game, unless I am mistaken, is free to play.

I'm reading about all of these different mechanics and trying to imagine how they're going to monetise Fortnite.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
We are exactly 24 hours from the release of Dark Souls II

Honestly,
and I know I'm the minority here, but
I would be more excited if it were 24 hours until the GFWL-free version of Dark Souls sent live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom