• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Destiny not having a PC version just seems absurd. There must be some kind of console exclusivity contract in play here, only explanation that allows me to even comprehend the situation.

Panda Rin

Destiny not having a PC version just seems absurd. There must be some kind of console exclusivity contract in play here, only explanation that allows me to even comprehend the situation.

it's literally the only game that will push me to get a PS4. It's my dream game.

fantomena

Or somebody payed somebody to make it only for consoles like a dozens of other console only games?

I want Destiny on PC too, but I won't get my hopes up

Panda Rin

What parts of it are your dream game? I mean it's a few months away and we still don't have a concrete idea of what the game actually is.

the concept. I'm a huge fan of Borderlands and combined with Bungie's expertise on creating lore, I can see myself investing A LOT of time in the world. I think it's more of a question of how great the game will be. I have no doubt it will be a good game.

Echoplx

Is there some kind of evil conglomerate of console executives all working to stop PC releases?

Multiplatform games that are released on everything but PC just doesn't make sense, who is doing the moneyhatting?

Arthea

Hahaha after my Anno faffery of the last week and a half that's the last thing I'd probably end up doing.

Here just watch Giant Bomb's preview. It's non spoilery and not a hypmonger, superlative laden fest like most previews.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-watch-dogs-04-22-2014/2300-8779/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bvPtYB0FAg

It's funny cause the video commentator mentions GitS lol.

So it's like the best thing in this game, judging by 2 previews. (><)
why we still don't have great GitS game... THAT would be a dream game.

Dr Dogg

Go read the contract, it's still up on the L.A. Times' website. It was initially only a 360 and Xbox One deal for the first game. PS3 wasn't even going to be greenlit if it couldn't achieve parity with the 360 version by a certain cut off date. A PC Destiny isn't mentioned until Destiny #2. God knows if it's been revised since but all the details from 2010 are there.

Nzyme32

Is there some kind of evil conglomerate of console executives all working to stop PC releases?

Multiplatform games that are released on everything but PC just doesn't make sense, who is doing the moneyhatting?

Part of me hopes Valve do an event like Steam Dev Days, but aimed directly at customers, and then they show off a bunch of games coming to the steam platform as a whole as well as what ever new things they have planned for the year ahead. Heck they have to also announce steam machines release date, pricing and launch games some how

Arthea

Intel, Nvidia, a shitload of Ram, always up to date drivers, very few applications installed, very few ever running, and continual file/application cleaning.

Aka I'm computer literate.

I'm not so sure being literate helps that much!
if you are to lazy to do actual cleaning, for example (><)
what OS are you using?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What's the online scene like for Skullgirls PC?

If it's good I figure I don't mind paying $7.50 for it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Part of me hopes Valve do an event like Steam Dev Days, but aimed directly at customers, and then they show off a bunch of games coming to the steam platform as a whole as well as what ever new things they have planned for the year ahead. Heck they have to also announce steam machines release date, pricing and launch games some how

If they do something like this, I'll see you all there! :)

louiedog

A new IP from a company who has been doing Xbox exclusives for awhile at a time when they have to learn new console hardware. It could just be more than they wanted to take on now.

rookiejet

OK to recap
Racing games worth picking up:
Mad Racers
Flatout 2
Dirt 2
Grid 2 (or should I skip this and get the new one releasing later this year?)

Any other racers worth getting with a great sense of speed? Sorry wasn't on GAF much the other day so didn't check this thread ^^;

I was looking down, lens flare was hurting my eyes.

I'd give Ridge Racer Unbounded a try, it's also an arcade-y racer (I assumed that's what you were looking for based on your list.) I liked the mechanic of voluntarily smashing into the environment and other players to gain a speed boost, sliding ridiculously through corners and into gas containers to blow up your competition. It had great feeling of impish recklessness, and the soundtrack fit the mood perfectly (even though I don't normally like dubstep.)

Also Midnight Club Los Angeles but that's not "Steam" so we shall not recommend it overtly. Only in hushed tones. This is special spoiler-tag technology, that will let us speak in secret, it will disappear when you refresh the page. Viva la Resistance!

Praise gaben.

What's the online scene like for Skullgirls PC?

If it's good I figure I don't mind paying $7.50 for it.

I haven't played in a while but it should be easy to find a match, most people will either dominate you or not know how to play etc... Pretty good community I think.

If the developer/publisher is Japanese, it's probably because they don't get the PC market's reach, because it's really small in Japan, and they don't know the benefits of maintaining a presence on a platform like Steam. Also, since very few people in Japanese game development have PC porting/development experience, the start up costs of training and finding documentation are probably daunting to the really old Japanese execs running things.

Grief.exe

I really don't see why they don't.

They have the experience in throwing such events from doing the International every year. They could either schedule both events at the same time or split them 6 months apart.

A new IP from a company who has been doing Xbox exclusives for awhile at a time when they have to learn new console hardware. It could just be more than they wanted to take on now.

I thought of that as well, but the problem is the shear amount of money Activision is funneling into this product. I believe Bungie has swelled to well over 600 members at this point.

Combine that with the massive marketing budget we have seen already and it becomes obvious that the investment from Activision is near infinite.

I find it hard to believe that they couldn't hire a few more members of the team dedicated to the PC version.

Go read the contract, it's still up on the L.A. Times' website. It was initially only a 360 and Xbox One deal for the first game. PS3 wasn't even going to be greenlit if it couldn't achieve parity with the 360 version by a certain cut off date. A PC Destiny isn't mentioned until Destiny #2. God knows if it's been revised since but all the details from 2010 are there.

Really hope you are wrong and/or it was changed. That would be a day 1 buy for me on PC.

Really need a new GPU soon though, the 448 core 560ti is showing it's age.

Because pirates! And the peecee isn't powerful enough to run the game. j/k

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I really don't see why they don't.

They have the experience in throwing such events from doing the International every year. They could either schedule both events at the same time or split them 6 months apart.

It would be a really good way for Valve to connect with it's customer base. It's something the company falls really short on, in my opinion.

Dr Dogg

Really hope you are wrong and/or it was changed. That would be a day 1 buy for me on PC.

Really need a new GPU soon though, the 448 core 560ti is showing it's age.

No idea if terms or contracts with publishers change often or at all but I think we all know to hire a bunch of Lawyers to draft them up alone costs a small fortune so it wouldn't be for just a few amendments but a fair few changes.

But yeah I'd love to be wrong too but at this late stage in development I doubt it. Plus I'm not going to conjure up my own conspiracy theory outside of what info is already out there.

Nabs

From the Dark Souls Facebook page:

ibstDegwKT7Zcz.gif

It would be a really good way for Valve to connect with it's customer base. It's something the company falls really short on, in my opinion.

Agreed. You have some contacts there, couldn't you recommend this to them and see if this gets higher?

But really, Valve could have done such an event years ago. Steam is big and the customers would appreciate things like these.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if you buy skullgirls dont forget to get Big Band character dlc while its free

Nzyme32

Finished VVVVVV. Gameplay was nothing too special, but the music was amazing and it really set it apart.

Soul Eye is what you should be looking up. The music is released on an album called PPPPPP - http://souleyedigitalmusic.bandcamp.com/album/pppppp-the-vvvvvv-soundtrack

What's that in GMT+1?

British Standard time, basically the time that the UK is currently using which is Daylight Saving time - just GMT + 1 hour - it happens during summer, we go one hour head, in October at some point we go back to standard time - GMT

jshackles

Agreed. You have some contacts there, couldn't you recommend this to them and see if this gets higher?

But really, Valve could have done such an event years ago. Steam is big and the customers would appreciate things like these.

I'll pitch the idea their way and let you guys know what I find out (if I can)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom