• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TB once said that a good openworld game is one where there are lots of things to do. Couldn't disagree more. Sometimes less is more (duh) and I like having focus in my games. Could never finish any GTA games for ex. I always get bored after a while. Mafia 1 and Stalker (if it counts) are the only ones I finished and enjoyed.

Dambrosi

Banned
What does Skullgirls have to do with V:TM?
'Cuz that's today's Daily Deal, and I'd buy that instead, seeing as i already own VTM:B.

If the fan patch has been added to the game, that takes the work out of it for a lot of folks, and shows that Activision at least acknowledges its existence, even if it's too old to actively support (other than selling it for 75% off, that is)..

nexen

TB once said that a good openworld game is one where there are lots of things to do. Couldn't disagree more. Sometimes less is more (duh) and I like having focus in my games. Could never finish any GTA games for ex. I always get bored after a while. Mafia 1 and Stalker (if it counts) are the only ones I finished and enjoyed.

Lots of interesting things to do. Ubisoft forgets that word a lot.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Yep. I hate how bloated with garbage lots of games are today, trying to waste my time making the game longer. Every game doesn't need 900 fetch quests, N64 platformer-level collectathons, and experience points. Maybe if I was a kid again with very few games and tons of time I'd appreciate it more.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm honestly surprised by the number of people here who like the "collectithon" side missions in the Assassin's Creed and Far Cry games.

Don't get me wrong, if side mission content is done right I can really get into it. For example, right now I'm playing through Lego The Hobbit and having a blast with it, even though I've already finished the "main quest".

Yep. I hate how bloated with garbage lots of games are today, trying to waste my time making the game longer. Every game doesn't need 900 fetch quests, N64 platformer-level collectathons, and experience points. Maybe if I was a kid again with very few games and tons of time I'd appreciate it more.

Pretty much this, exactly.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

its either that or tacked on multiplayer. everything to keep you from trading it in

nexen

I like Skyrim and Fallout. When I do a side mission in those games it is (almost) always an enjoyable experience on its own. I'm not just grinding through filler to unlock a silly hat or gain a percentage point on the completion amount.

Ruruja

The best side-quests are the ones in Mass Effect 2 when you find a help beacon on a planet. Each had a fun little story with cut-scenes.

Dr Dogg

its either that or tacked on multiplayer. everything to keep you from trading it in

Well sometimes both. Then again sometimes games today have a shelf life of around a year with little to no replayability with the intent you'll cough up for the next annual instalment. Sometimes a game comes along that bucks the trend but they usually don't happen to be part of a yearly churn out.

fantomena

100% agreed.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Depths of Fear :: Knossos, a Greek-themed, 1st Person, Roguelike stealthy action-adventure where you play as Theseus out to kill the rampaging horror the Minotaur. Succeed in the beast’s slaughter or learn the meaning of fear trying. You will run. You will hide. You will fight. You will die.

Out tomorrow. Will be giving this a try as a Greek Mythology enthusiast. Gameplay videos look solid so far and I always wished for a first person roguelike that doesn't look like Minecraft. Will post impressions asap and if I like it enough I will definitely do a giveaway here.

Well, it looks like the game's single and multiplayer are kind of integrated like a Demon/Dark Souls game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUIowUR4r0o

Online contracts look kind of similar to being invaded. You can also accept challenges from other players while in single player so stealth confirmation of this gaming requiring a persistent internet connection? Or was this already known? Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to the game, the Ghost in the Shell mention made me look at the spider tank video and now I'm looking at more.

That's actually pretty neat, especially the part with the companion app. I typically avoid multiplayer aspects to games (even Dark Souls) but I might be willing to try that one out.

Everyone getting on that Bloodlines hype train

PVi5NQy.png

It took 10 years, but finally this game gets mainstream love!

In a lot of these games there's supposed to be this srawling, epic narrative, yet it actively wants to encourage the player to dick around. So, should I save my friends or should I really just collect shit? Isn't my boss waiting for me to assign a new job, yet I'm flying around trying to get a new record?

Ironically FC3 was supposed to be a commentary about this, but no one outside of the writer interpreted it that way :lol

Nzyme32

Is that like the Simpson's episode where Bart is adopted by Mr. Burns?

Homer: "Or what? You'll release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at you?"
Burns: "Smithers, release the robotic Richard Simmons".

Surprisingly not. The dog's bollocks is British slang mostly used in the north of England that is just a replacement for the bee's knees, and I think the Bee's bollocks has been a bit of Geordie/northern slang off shoot. I can't quite place where I heard it first but it has provided endless amusement since drunken conversation take's the phrase to really perplexing levels - "So then, how big are a bee's bollock's?"

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather there be collectathons and all that shiz over multiplayer tacked on.

That's exactly how I feel about it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the Ass Creeds had even more collectibles in exchange for dropping the multiplayer.

In a lot of these games there's supposed to be this srawling, epic narrative, yet it actively wants to encourage the player to dick around. So, should I save my friends or should I really just collect shit? Isn't my boss waiting for me to assign a new job, yet I'm flying around trying to get a new record?

Pfft, who needs friends when you collect shanties?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
One of the reasons I loved Two Worlds 2 is that the sidequests where fun with at least a bit of thought to them. At the end of the day you're still doing something for someone/finding something but it did cool little stories I really enjoyed and actually made an effort. The DLC especially did a great job with them.

Compared to shit like Far Cry 3 which is pure collectathon bar filling tripe it put me off that completely.

Out tomorrow. Will be giving this a try as a Greek Mythology enthusiast. Gameplay videos look solid so far and I always wished for a first person roguelike that doesn't look like Minecraft. Will post impressions asap and if I like it enough I will definitely do a giveaway here.

That looks pretty cool.

nexen

I'd rather there be collectathons and all that shiz over multiplayer tacked on.

I'm torn. Multiplayer takes more effort and may lead to a transfer of development resources away from single player. However, I have an easier time ignoring tacked on multiplayer than I do collectathons.

I'll be having fun playing my SP game, deeply immersed. Suddenly I'll see a tiny little audiolog, dossier, or dogtag glinting off to the side of the golden path.

Shit.

Now I feel compelled to search every little nook and cranny for the rest of the goddamned game. It is hard to feel like a bad-assed bald space marine when you scour through the garbage looking for loose change after every firefight.

If they do add coins or some other shit to the game, at least have the decency to allow you to go back and get them all after the game is over. I'm looking at you, Fallout 3.

There's going to be a mobile app that let's smart phone users play against console and pc gamers in Watch_Dogs. Uh, okay, I don't know if that's completely brilliant or terrible. Smartphone users can challenge you where they try and hack the world as well as use the police to try and stop you in a getaway chase.

Other people can take out online contracts against you? They look like the main character in their game, you look like the main character in yours and you both look like random, ambient pedestrians in each others games. This is the Demon/Dark Souls invasion mechanic that looks somewhat interesting. And there's a more standard team-based capture the flag type mode which I probably won't play because I have 0 people on my uPlay friends list and I have no intention of changing that.

Honestly this kind of looks a lot like Splinter Cell Blacklists structure, only instead of choosing to play online or a single player mission from a menu the ability to switch between the two is a lot more seamless. It will be interesting to see how this actually plays out once the game is out. I have no intention of pre-ordering Watch_Dogs but I am more inclined to pick it up during a sale.

Have we heard a price?

Backlogger

Exactly. Contrasted with something like Fallout: New Vegas (or really, pretty much any open world Bethesda game) and it just seems like filler to pad out the playtime.

Does anyone legitimately enjoy the side content in Ass Creed or Far Cry?

I do. I 100%'d Far Cry 3 (and may do it again since my save file got messed up). I realize I am probably crazy though and not in the norm.

Can any one suggest some good FPS games where you have to solve problems and/or (but mainly AND) explore?

I am playing Penumbra and I like the mixture of exploration and problem solving type elements.

I would guess that there are a fair few PC games from over the years that fit the bill?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like that Bound By Flame is finally up on Steam for preorder. Here's hoping to some region free goodness :p Very interested in that still, love me euro jank RPGs.

Can any one suggest some good FPS games where you have to solve problems and/or (but mainly AND) explore?

I am playing Penumbra and I like the mixture of exploration and problem solving type elements.

I would guess that there are a fair few PC games from over the years that fit the bill?

The newly released FRACT OSC fits your description. Also check out:

Kairo
MirrorMoon EP
NaissanceE

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so how many episodes in RE:Revelations? I'm digging it so far, just finished episode 1.

Rhaknar

any word on Bloodrayne Betrayal price? if its 10 I might be able to buy it with card moneyz by the time it comes out

Surprisingly not. The dog's bollocks is British slang mostly used in the north of England that is just a replacement for the bee's knees, and I think the Bee's bollocks has been a bit of Geordie/northern slang off shoot. I can't quite place where I heard it first but it has provided endless amusement since drunken conversation take's the phrase to really perplexing levels - "So then, how big are a bee's bollock's?"

Yeah, I've heard of the dog's bollocks and figured that's what you were going for. I just couldn't resist that Simpsons quote though.

And has achievements :(

These Batman Origins mp cheese mints are gonna take forever :( :(

Two examples of games where I just ignored the multiplayer and focused on 100% of the single player achievements.

I didn't expect other R&M fans!

Nope, so I have to make 'em.

Love me some R&M -- it's Rickdiculous. It took a couple episodes to click, but when it did, I rewatched everything and loved 99% of it.
Are you taking requests? I was going to try to make the one I've been looking for using gifsoup, but the clip was too long and wanted me to sign up for something. -_-;

any word on Bloodrayne Betrayal price? if its 10 I might be able to buy it with card moneyz by the time it comes out

Anything more than $10 would be stupid.
$7.99 and I'll find a coupon and buy it day one.
(Even if it's $9.99, I'll probably do that...)

The first one to come to mind is Antichamber.
Other FPS puzzle games (but no exploration) are Portal 1/2 obviously and Q.U.B.E.

Nzyme32

I second Antichamber as a must, should be what you are looking for/ FRACT OSC also looks like something to go for or keep an eye on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom