• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I have a list of games I intend to play (or replay) once they have GFWL removed and Steam achievements added:

Ace Combat - they actual had achievement porting, so I didn't need to replay it to get my Steamworks achievements
Arkham Asylum
Bioshock 2

Dirt 3
Dawn of War 2
Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising
Dark Souls
ITSP

So... FRACT OSC... hmm. It's kind of odd; I liked Antichamber and Mirror Moon, but i'm having a slightly harder time getting into FRACT, and it basically sits at the crossroads of those two titles more than anything else. Definitely not as obtuse as Antichamber, and a bit more directed than Mirror Moon, at the same time I feel like the "game" part of it (as opposed to the pure sequencer part) could have used just a bit more fleshing out. Still, it's interesting.

I have a list of games I intend to play (or replay) once they have GFWL removed and Steam achievements added:

Ace Combat - they actual had achievement porting, so I didn't need to replay it to get my Steamworks achievements
Arkham Asylum
Bioshock 2

Dirt 3
Dawn of War 2
Dark Souls
ITSP

i don't know if you are going to but don't play dawn of war 2>chaos rising back to back

the game's are so similar(not that it shouldn't be as it's an expansion)

i lost interest mid way of chaos rising due to this

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Arkham Asylum
Bioshock 2

Dirt 3
Dawn of War 2
Dark Souls
ITSP
I plan on doing the same, with the exception of Dawn of War since I found them a bit bland compared to their source material.

HoosTrax

i don't know if you are going to but don't play dawn of war 2>chaos rising back to back

the game's are so similar(not that it shouldn't be as it's an expansion)

i lost interest mid way of chaos rising due to this
Heh, the last playthrough I did was a back to back run because I wanted to port my party from the first game over to Chaos Rising. Really disappointed to find out that the only thing that persisted were a tiny handful of items and my party's stats.

I plan on doing the same, with the exception of Dawn of War since I found them a bit bland compared to their source material.
If it wasn't for the bombastic soundtrack, I don't think I would have been able to make it through DoW2. It does get a bit tedious after a while.

Salsa

Honestly,
and I know I'm the minority here, but
I would be more excited if it were 24 hours until the GFWL-free version of Dark Souls sent live.

Yeah. I can get DS2 for cheap but I've decided im probably gonna go through DS1 again once it's GFWL-free instead. For now.

Dr Dogg

Say what you want about UbiSoft's collectathons but AC IV is all my Errol Flynn and Master and Commander offshoot fantasies combined, with collectables and anti social animal hunting.

Is it possible to go lower than the lowest common denominator???

Well technically speaking that would be nethermost but that's by the bye.

Still think it's a bit of a bummer that Daylight is the first UE4 game given it doesn't seem to look all that good on a graphical level. Have the walkthoughs had on all the effects?

JaseC -- if you see this, check your Steam Chat -- I left you some messages about Steam's response to our Stormrise situation and wanted to get your take on it.

I'm not sure if it's a Steam key (I think it is), but UbiSoft sells Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition for 5€

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/de_DE/pd/ThemeID.8605700/productID.300541000/Batman%3A_Arkham_Origins_Blackgate_-_Deluxe_Edition.html

That's still too much for it.
But ti's still better than Strider.
KuGsj.gif

Miker

finished Episode 2 of RE:Rev. Starting to really like it, it really feels like old school RE (as in 1-3 / code veronica), at least during the Jill / Parker sections. Thank god I just got a ammo capacity upgrade because her limited capacity was driving me nuts.

question about the rest of the game, ill spoiler tag it just in case:

I assume you go back and forth between Jill and Chris, do the Chris parts become more like the Jill parts / classic RE? I mean with multiple doors, having to find keys, etc. Because the 1 section I played with Chris, with the hilarious Jessica line, it was basically just 1 long snow linear corridor and that was it >_>

Regarding your spoiler - Jill's parts resemble (just barely!) classic RE, but all the other sections are A to B shooting with some diversions, a la "new" RE.

-MD-

finished Episode 2 of RE:Rev. Starting to really like it, it really feels like old school RE (as in 1-3 / code veronica), at least during the Jill / Parker sections.

Revelations feels more like 4-6 than 1-3.

It actually feels nothing like 1-3

Revelations is a pretty disappointing game, although the unlockable Raid mode is pretty fun. The first few Jill bits have some attempts at instilling atmosphere but it doesn't succeed any more than RE6 did with Leon's first few chapters. It very quickly becomes a straight shooter that is as action heavy as RE5 but they heavily simplified the melee system. Combined with the almost non-existent enemy hit reactions it makes for an action game that's not very much fun to play. And it is an action game, as not even RE6 forces you into kill rooms which Revelations does all the time. Stand in a room and kill 50 regenerating
hunters
, so spooky!

Really makes me wonder if the people saying it harks back to the older games actually played them.

ArjanN

This has to be the case, I can't think of a single thing that RE1 and Revelations share in common outside of Jill and Chris being characters.

Eh, there's some stuff, like how the more basic combat actually makes it feel a bit closer to the original games. The ship setting is probably also closer to 1/2/3.

I'd say overall it's somewhere in between.

as not even RE6 forces you into kill rooms which Revelations does all the time. Stand in a room and kill 50 regenerating
hunters
, so spooky!
I'm not familiar with the term Kill Room(tried googling kill room but got some messed up news stories and images instead), but I'm fairly certain RE6 did that a bunch.

Lots of times the objective of an area was to kill all remaining enemies, I think the first time it comes up is either the section in Leon's campaign when you're defending the shop or where you're outside the church.

dani_dc

Cancelled Collectors Edition of Dark Souls II and ordered it on GMG, decided it wasn't worth paying the extra 30 euros for what was essencially the figure and map since the rest comes in digital format.

ArjanN

is this legal?

I'm sure all the characters are really all three thousand year old goddesses...

Or do you mean the indiegogo campaign?

Giantbomb has a bunch of video footage of Watch_Dogs.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-watch-dogs-04-22-2014/2300-8779/

You craft to unlock hacks. Craft. You craft to unlock hacks.

He also turns around and hacks a helicopter in a split second while doing a sweet motorcycle jump off a ramp, so realistic...

Dr Dogg

Giantbomb has a bunch of video footage of Watch_Dogs.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-watch-dogs-04-22-2014/2300-8779/

You craft to unlock hacks. Craft. You craft to unlock hacks.

Yeah they way Brad was describing it was like the syringe consumables in Far Cry 3 but a few more types of them. From all the stuff that came out today it seams like there is quite a few more layers to Watch_Dogs than you get with your standard open world game. Hopefully it's not been stretched too thin or a jack of all trades master of none.

-MD-

Eh, there's some stuff, like how the more basic combat actually makes it feel a bit closer to the original games. The ship setting is probably also closer to 1/2/3.

I'd say overall it's somewhere in between.

It's definitely somewhere inbetween

b9P2lq1.png

I'm not familiar with the term Kill Room(tried googling kill room but got some messed up news stories and images instead), but I'm fairly certain RE6 did that a bunch.

Lots of times the objective of an area was to kill all remaining enemies, I think the first time it comes up is either the section in Leon's campaign when you're defending the shop or where you're outside the church.

Fair enough, but at least in those sequences the set piece actually revolves around holding out and the church in particular was incredibly intense
Damn crimson heads
. Think the church might be time based, been a while. Revelations just throws you into bland rooms and doesn't let you leave until you kill 50 enemies. It's just terribly designed and never hard, just boring. Reminds me of Ninja Gaiden's challenges where you fight against an endless horde of enemies.

And Revelation's combat is clearly based on RE5, they just took the complexity out of the melee system and made the enemies terrible to shoot. First few resies play nothing like it in terms of combat or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom