• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have some good categories to organize your games via depressurizer? I've got niche: visual novel / point and click / roguelike but I'm sort of at a loss for more of the generic games. Maybe by developer?

anyone have some good categories to organize your games via depressurizer? I've got niche: visual novel / point and click / roguelike but I'm sor of at a loss for more of the generic games. Maybe by developer?

I've just recently started figuring out what I like in terms of categories... and I have a LOT.

Any game with 2-3+ entries gets it's own category.
So I have things like: Assassin's Creed, Worms, Warhammer 40k, Grand Theft Auto, DOOM, etc.
I also have generic categories that take games that don't really fit anywhere else... so I have things like (character) action, Action RPG, RPG, Platformer, Fighter, FPS, etc. Fighter has stuff like Skullgirls, SSF4AE, SFxT, Injustice, MK9, KoF2013, etc.
I also added some groups for major publishers/developers, so I have some like SEGA, Capcom, Double FIne, Telltale, etc. These normally catch those that don't have multiple entiries or that I don't think fight in the genre category; in some rare cases, I have prefixed the Dev's name on the front of a series for organizational purposes -- such as Telltale - The Walking Dead and Telltale - Sam & Max.
Finally I added a few #<DESCRIPTOR> categories that sit at the front of the list: #Achievement Cleanup, #Finish, #Multiplayer, #Next Up -- games slot into here until I'm done with them and then they move back to their original categories.

Complicated, but it makes sense in my head and my OCD seems to like it.
Hopefully you find something useful in here.

Hey guys,

I just got my 750 Ti up and running yesterday and am looking for some games to pick up. I've been looking at Lego LotR since that sounds like a fun local co-op game to play with the wife. I hear I just missed a sale but I don't mind waiting for the next one. A kind GAF'er told me about IsThereAnyDeal.com but I'm not sure how it works exactly. If I make an account will they automatically send me a notice when I can get this on sale for Steam? Thanks.

Edit: Also, does it include sites other than the Steam store that sell Steam codes? Thanks again.

Hey guys,

I just got my 750 Ti up and running yesterday and am looking for some games to pick up. I've been looking at Lego LotR since that sounds like a fun local co-op game to play with the wife. I hear I just missed a sale but I don't mind waiting for the next one. A kind GAF'er told me about IsThereAnyDeal.com but I'm not sure how it works exactly. If I make an account will they automatically send me a notice when I can get this on sale for Steam? Thanks.

Sign in through Steam and then import your wishlist. Then you can set things to be "send me an email if this game is under price $x and redeems on Steam."
It usually automatically syncs with your Steam wishlist too.

Trying some FTL with the update for the first time.

I learn I am still really bad at it, haha. But it's fun just to see how well or how poorly things can go starting out. I don't feel like I've run into a lot of new content yet, (yes, I have it enabled).

The Advanced Edition is a bit harder than vanilla.

Dark souls 2 is releasing tomorrow, 25% off with coupon at GMG.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I'd be able to put in the time that Dark Souls requires right now. I think I'll have to pick that up in a couple months.

Get FTL, unlock the frame rate and the coil whine shall reveal itself.

I've heard a lot of good things about FTL but I don't know if that's my kind of game. Thanks though.

maneil99

I'm reminded that I love Red Orchestra 2, really need to play the game more. Remember to grab RO2 tonight if you don't have it as it's free.

The expansion plays so much differently is so refreshing, the western front plays street to street block to block slow tense grind, the war in the pacific is chaos, japs in fox holes, flamethrowers, charges on enemy flanks.
post-35708-James-Franco-So-Good-gif-Imgur-B2nw.gif

rookiejet

anyone have some good categories to organize your games via depressurizer? I've got niche: visual novel / point and click / roguelike but I'm sort of at a loss for more of the generic games. Maybe by developer?

I have todo-style categories: 'played', 'next', 'playing', everything else under 'games' from which I randomly pick things scrolling through. (Just like my todo list, save for the deadlines in bright red.)

Steam's category system doesn't fit how I want to categorize things, i.e. not strictly delineated but each entry possibly having multiple tags.

I have a pseudo-database/journal file which also has non-Steam games, a general to-play wishlist and notes on games, I own or otherwise. Also, states set by metadata on each entry (e.g., to-play, to-buy, owned, etc), and other metadata for searching by certain criteria (genre, etc.) It has been a dilapidated mess for a while, though, and I don't feel like fixing it at the moment -_-.

Mobygames has been fixing up nicely lately, so I might migrate to it if it gets the features I want. Manually entering metadata for each entry's a pain (and really just procrastination fodder, if I am honest.)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I think it was a Red Orchestra game in which I called down an artillery strike that was...Apparently too close to the frontline, as I was kicked almost immediately after for team killing. WOOPS.

Thanks arts&crafts for Gun Monkeys. Since it's a two-pack, here's the gift copy:

ModBot said:
Instructions for TuckingFypo:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-E4247D683E4B5C87 - Taken by Widdly Scuds

maneil99

My favorite line for Red Orchestra 2

If the enemy kills you ; you were in a bad position
If your team kills you ; you were in a good position

ah thanks CF, the descriptor hashtag is a great idea.

Well, I used the # descriptor to ensure that those categories were first alphabetically -- they were originally 1_Whatever or 0_Things but I figured as much as I'm not a fan of hash tags, hash tags would likely preempt the alphanumerics and it'd be like comments in Perl. ;)

Didn't know pre-orders don't usually show up, Thief was the last game he grabbed and it showed up the minute he put the key in. I couldn't install until the actual launch though, where he could pre-load.

Anteater

Just beat lords of shadow, game has so many things that are just boring and a chore to go through, it's like watching dbz where you need to watch half of the episode of explosion and goku taking his time charging his kamehameha, but what the game offers are actually pretty pleasant, the art is extremely nice and the music is amazing, combat is alright and I enjoyed most of the boss fights even though they are similar, the things I hate are the silly finish moves/qtes stuff which are often more distracting than entertaining.

So I assume I have to beat the DLCs to find out what happened in the epilogue?

Card Boy

Banned
I just finished the Story of Section 8 fellow GAFfers:

I2TthEF.png

As you can see it's quite short because it's a game mostly focused on Multiplayer. For some odd reason I once decided to install this and since I didn't want to delete it before finishing I decided to complete it today. I would like to offer better impressions but, I'm out of ideas and context to write.

- It uses Games for Windows Live.
- It's not Halo.
- The main character is very silly when he's running at high speed.
- Dropping from the sky and landing while punching the ground is really nice.
- Graphics are not that bad considering it's not a recent game.
- I still don't know why I played this and why did I finished it but I did.
- I guess it's +1 Completed game -1 on the Backlog.

Section 8: Prejudice was awesome. The MP was AMAZING outside obviously GFWL and a lock ability you had. Gonna make a big call here and say i enjoyed it more than most of the current shooters on the market.

Too bad the developer went kaboom.

Levyne

Banned
-Anteater

Yeah, the DLC is pretty much out of nowhere and yet essential to the narrative if you care about that. One is full of tedious puzzles, the final encounter of the second one is really challenging (at least relative to the rest of the game) and is also pretty tedious, but I admit that it was rewarding to finally conquer it.

DocSeuss

I just finished the Story of Section 8 fellow GAFfers:

I2TthEF.png

As you can see it's quite short because it's a game mostly focused on Multiplayer. For some odd reason I once decided to install this and since I didn't want to delete it before finishing I decided to complete it today. I would like to offer better impressions but, I'm out of ideas and context to write.

- It uses Games for Windows Live.
- It's not Halo.
- The main character is very silly when he's running at high speed.
- Dropping from the sky and landing while punching the ground is really nice.
- Graphics are not that bad considering it's not a recent game.
- I still don't know why I played this and why did I finished it but I did.
- I guess it's +1 Completed game -1 on the Backlog.

There was one fight in it I couldn't beat for some reason. At some point, I intend to reinstall and beat, then check out the sequel. But I'm replaying FEAR at any time I'm not doing school... Ugh. I need more shooters. I need Wolfenstein 2009...

Section 8: Prejudice was awesome. The MP was AMAZING outside obviously GFWL and a lock ability you had. Gonna make a big call here and say i enjoyed it more than most of the current shooters on the market.

Too bad the developer went kaboom.

This is a little bizarre. The game was amazing outside of a game ruining design flaw? Who in their right minds programs an auto aim ability into a multiplayer shooter?

Echoplx

It's generally a little below the sales numbers as not everyone who buys the game downloads the game and creates a character.
only the number of people that have logged in. It doesn't take into account people who haven't bothered playing yet.

Hmm, probably too inaccurate to use as a gauge on how other games in the top sellers are doing then.

Could be interesting as a rough estimate though.

Sajjaja

Just beat lords of shadow, game has so many things that are just boring and a chore to go through, it's like watching dbz where you need to watch half of the episode of explosion and goku taking his time charging his kamehameha, but what the game offers are actually pretty pleasant, the art is extremely nice and the music is amazing, combat is alright and I enjoyed most of the boss fights even though they are similar, the things I hate are the silly finish moves/qtes stuff which are often more distracting than entertaining.

Actually, he spends most of the episode charging his underwhelming Spirit Bomb.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Yeah, in a way it's kind of neat because they actually changed the achievements to reflect the DLC being incorporated into the game officially. Lords of Shadow 2 is gonna seem really weird if you don't do those last two chapters.

Milamber

No, his excuse is "Ze hackers." Just look at the "PC multiplayer is gonna suck."

Okay, thought it was from Steam Community and did a search and it was GAF's Watch_Dogs thread. Read through it and it makes much more sense now.

EDIT: Every big release, we get at least 2 threads debating the merits/quality of the game. Shitposting becomes rampant. And I switch off from those threads.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm reminded that I love Red Orchestra 2, really need to play the game more. Remember to grab RO2 tonight if you don't have it as it's free.

Well, I'm downloading the multiplayer but the fact that people say it's slow and REALLY bullet-physics-y makes me leery about playing it online.

I'm fine with bullet-physics insofar as singleplayer goes. But in heat of battle close-quarters online? Eep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom