• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Ya know what? I'll finish up Thief 2014 so I can uninstall it and then work on something else alongside Steins Gate and Blackwell 1.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wolfenstein: The New Order ROW
prohibitrunincountries - DE AT

I don't like the trend getting censored games here in Austria :(
Would a VPN work to activate a ROW version? is there any downsite to that? (like having to play in offline mode or something)

Offline Mode would work, yeah (you'd need to run the game using a VPN first, though). You could also use the same app id trick that people use as alternative to SAM (card idling) to get around the restriction, but this would essentially disable Steamworks functionality, however hat being said not all games support offline achievements, so you may not get them in either scenario.

oops. I meant that they should allow use with like Google Authenticator or something
so we can rely on our Smartphones as the second factor

Ah, yeah. I think SMS support will arrive in time for Steam Wallet trading.

The-Bean

Decided to clean my keys .txt
No real rules (except a short raffle timer because I like raffles more) since, while all the keys should be unused, shit could still happen (like it did with some indiegala keys) and if it does, I'm really sorry.

Thanks for Brothers, brother.

No real rules (except a short raffle timer because I like raffles more) since, while all the keys should be unused, shit could still happen (like it did with some indiegala keys) and if it does, I'm really sorry.

Thanks for Fuel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Because I've noticed a lot of people failing at receiving ModBot games because of the throttle timer, I'll repeat how it works:

- You have to wait 15 minutes in between winning games from ModBot, no matter what rules people pick.
- If you've won a lot in the last week, you have to wait 6 hours in between winning games from ModBot, no matter what rules people pick.
- If you're won an absurd amount of times in the last week, you have to wait a day in between winning games from ModBot, no matter what rules people pick

So just to be clear, if you've found yourself winning a lot and now suddenly not winning, it's because you're being throttled. Save some for other people!

Thanks Lain!

mmitt

Offline Mode would work, yeah (you'd need to run the game using a VPN first, though). You could also use the same app id trick that people use as alternative to SAM (card idling) to get around the restriction, but this would essentially disable Steamworks functionality, however hat being said not all games support offline achievements, so you may not get them in either scenario.

alright, thanks :) going to look into that one.
Don't really care for the achievements, so If that one works I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

JaseC

alright, thanks :) going to look into that one.
Don't really care for the achievements, so If that one works I guess it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Basically, you just make a steam_appid.txt file in the directory containing the game's executable, fill it with nothing but the app id of another game, and then launch the executable from within the directory (this is important as launching the game through Steam itself will override the value in the text file). Here's an example I put together about six months ago:

aoe2kam3zukz.jpg

Grief.exe

Basically, you just make a steam_appid.txt file in the directory containing the game's executable, fill it with nothing but the app id of another game, and then launch the executable from within the directory (this is important as launching the game through Steam itself will override the value in the text file). Here's an example I put together about six months ago:

aoe2kam3zukz.jpg

Thanks for the right up Jase. I'll book mark this.

Pakkidis

Because I've noticed a lot of people failing at receiving ModBot games because of the throttle timer, I'll repeat how it works:

- You have to wait 15 minutes in between winning games from ModBot, no matter what rules people pick.
- If you've won a lot in the last week, you have to wait 6 hours in between winning games from ModBot, no matter what rules people pick.
- If you're won an absurd amount of times in the last week, you have to wait a day in between winning games from ModBot, no matter what rules people pick

So just to be clear, if you've found yourself winning a lot and now suddenly not winning, it's because you're being throttled. Save some for other people!

Firm but fair. What constitutes "winning a lot in the last week" though? 3,4,5 games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Firm but fair. What constitutes "winning a lot in the last week" though? 3,4,5 games?

This is left ambiguous (the actual numbers are lower than they were when I initially set up ModBot but higher than you've guessed) so that people are not incentivized to maximize their benefits under the system. I guess my general stance would be to ask people to avoid entering every single raffle they see just to vacuum up every game they don't have ;)

This is left ambiguous (the actual numbers are lower than they were when I initially set up ModBot but higher than you've guessed) so that people are not incentivized to maximize their benefits under the system. I guess my general stance would be to ask people to avoid entering every single raffle they see just to vacuum up every game they don't have ;)

I think we can safely say that a giveaway a day keeps the ModBot away.

mmitt

sounds easy enough :) thanks again!
Hope that doesn't become a norm for games which get cut in germany though, that would be unfortunate

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've "applied" for the code but won't get a reply from Modbot. Maybe I'm banned?

not sure, modbot seems glitchy today. ill PM you the key directly see if it works. puzzlebots was it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
not sure, modbot seems glitchy today. ill PM you the key directly see if it works. puzzlebots was it?

This is a TERRIBLE idea. Puzzle Bots is already taken. The reason Benedict isn't getting the code is because someone else already has the code. If you PM Benedict the code, then it'll be a matter of who checks their PMs first, and the other user who win will be left in the cold.

GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request Deques for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 09:40:30.717096 1398505230.72
GA: Claim Process: Begin post edit mark, looking for post to edit out for key FF02F6D9991CBCD6 09:47:11.440882 1398505631.44
GA: Claim Process: Edited out key FF02F6D9991CBCD6 09:47:18.407535 1398505638.41
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Crentist the Dentist for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 09:55:15.770306 1398506115.77
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from nature boy for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 10:25:16.355325 1398507916.36
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Benedict for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 10:59:46.774474 1398509986.77
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from nature boy for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 11:52:17.437277 1398513137.44
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Diedac for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 11:57:32.598909 1398513452.6
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from alr1ght for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 13:23:49.727486 1398518629.73
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Benedict for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 13:36:03.475533 1398519363.48
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from nightstorm for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 13:50:12.699566 1398520212.7
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from nature boy for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 13:58:22.678344 1398520702.68
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Kifimbo for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 14:09:35.437330 1398521375.44
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Dambrosi for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 14:37:34.826452 1398523054.83
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from tylergregg for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 14:56:05.667247 1398524165.67
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from alr1ght for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 16:03:34.372200 1398528214.37
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Pakkidis for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 16:48:35.022349 1398530915.02
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from zerokoolpsx for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 16:59:51.576678 1398531591.58
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Aaron for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 17:08:05.411465 1398532085.41
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from factorone for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 18:37:37.213382 1398537457.21
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Benedict for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 19:36:44.992472 1398541004.99
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from nature boy for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 19:38:09.516025 1398541089.52
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from tylergregg for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 22:20:13.925865 1398550813.93
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from Benedict for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 10:30:00.537371 1398594600.54
GA: Queueing Claims: Already Taken from nature boy for FF02F6D9991CBCD6 10:38:16.247527 1398595096.25

This, incidentally, is why you don't just repost random snippets of ModBot posts. Because when you reposted those games, they were taken right away, ModBot just edit: failed to edited the original giveaway. Use receipts to track whether or not something is actually taken.

JaseC

Thanks for the right up Jase. I'll book mark this.

No worries. :)

sounds easy enough :) thanks again!
Hope that doesn't become a norm for games which get cut in germany though, that would be unfortunate

Region-specific versions of games are generally handled through region-specific subs rather than apps as it's far less maintenance. What Bethesda should have done is just handled censorship using data depots rather than an entirely separate version of the game, such as Ubi did with South Park:

Germany:
Depots in this package

Rest-of-world:
Depots in this package

All that being said, though, even if Bethesda took the easier route you'd probably still have to worry about the runtime restriction. Seems a little overbearing to prevent Germans from running the ROW version at all.

Thank you for Sanctum collection

What's the current situation with Dirt 2 and Fuel re. GFWL? It's Dirt 3 that was confirmed to be going Steamworks, correct? Has there been any evidence that the other two games are being prepared for migration?

Started playing Battlefield 4, game is great and runs amazingly well on my midtier laptop. Single player campaign is very original so far, all the naval stuff is quite refreshing for a military shooter.

Origin is not so bad, but I hate the stupid battlelog browser shit

Twinduct

Stump,
Any intentions to add in a 'confirmed entry' function with steambot in the future? Essentially just a something like a PM from Modbot once you entered to let you know that you have entered successfully (or that you are not eligible and thus not entered).

Granted I imagine that might put alot of extra strain on the fella.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stump,
Any intentions to add in a 'confirmed entry' function with steambot in the future? Essentially just a something like a PM from Modbot once you entered to let you know that you have entered successfully (or that you are not eligible and thus not entered).

Granted I imagine that might put alot of extra strain on the fella.

You've correctly surmised that that would basically be spam and load for no value. If you send a PM, ModBot receives the PM. If you haven't got the game, you should assume that you're either not eligible, someone has already taken it, or ModBot hasn't processed the giveaway yet. Hence the "you won't receive a PM in reply if the game is already taken" thing. This is a user problem, not a service problem ;)

Twinduct

You've correctly surmised that that would basically be spam and load for no value. If you send a PM, ModBot receives the PM. If you haven't got the game, you should assume that you're either not eligible, someone has already taken it, or ModBot hasn't processed the giveaway yet. Hence the "you won't receive a PM in reply if the game is already taken" thing. This is a user problem, not a service problem ;)

Completely agree its a user problem. Just imagine the feedback would alleviate the occasional confusion :p

JaseC

What's the current situation with Dirt 2 and Fuel re. GFWL? It's Dirt 3 that was confirmed to be going Steamworks, correct? Has there been any evidence that the other two games are being prepared for migration?

It's a mystery. New apps for Dirt 2 and Fuel appeared in the registry after the originals were pulled but they haven't been touched in months. GamersGate originally told people that it wouldn't be able to distribute keys to those who'd bought the game back in December, and were still waiting, until Codemasters finished updating the game, however:

Just realized GamersGate finally got Fuel keys!

Maybe Codemasters has given up on patching Fuel or maybe those wheels are finally being set in motion.

Jawmuncher

Went to play Princess Edge thinking it was a Visual Novel....
Turns out it's a beat em up that would be right at home on newgrounds.
I couldn't play much before giving up. It all works on a basic level but there's nothing to engage you to really drive forward either. Also this game BEGS that you use a keyboard to controller mapping program if you actually want to play it.

Also I don't know why she is running around in basically nothing.
Princess_2.jpg

I think someone could find some basic enjoyment it out of it, but that person is not me.
I might go back to it to see if maybe it magically transforms itself later on. Though it doesn't seem to be a very long game either.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is a TERRIBLE idea. Puzzle Bots is already taken. The reason Benedict isn't getting the code is because someone else already has the code. If you PM Benedict the code, then it'll be a matter of who checks their PMs first, and the other user who win will be left in the cold.

well my bad then, Im sorry.

Tizoc

I couldn't play much before giving up. It all works on a basic level but there's nothing to engage you to really drive forward either. Also this game BEGS that you use a keyboard to controller mapping program if you actually want to play it.

Princess_2.jpg

I think someone could find some basic enjoyment it out of it, but that person is not me.
I might go back to it to see if maybe it magically transforms itself later on. Though it doesn't seem to be a very long game either.

Hey if Athena can do it, any moe/loli chick can.

Princess_2.jpg

Holy crap.

Miker

So I won Risk of Rain (thanks Widdly Scuds!) and after playing about an hour of it, half in single player, half in local co-op, and it's...okay?

First of all, only one character unlocked is a bit silly. Second, progress (items unlocked, stats, etc.) aren't tracked in local co-op, which is definitely silly. The game itself - and these are preliminary impressions - feels kind of shallow. The character's four skills don't grow, as far as I can tell, which means that the variety of each run boils down to the cool passive items you can pick up.

While most of the items are lots of fun and add unpredictability to each run, I found that they don't really change the way I played the game. The best strategy seems to be use skill 1, use skill 2, shoot, dodge through mob (dodge gives invincibility frames), turn around and repeat. I feel like although the mobs and challenge escalated, I was still using the same strategy over and over, and kiting enemies on a 2D plane isn't that exciting.

The pixel art and especially the soundtrack are pretty cool though.

Pakkidis

One of my favorite things as a pc gamer is that you try new games that you would have never tried before. I'm playing bit trip runner 2.

It's a mystery. New apps for Dirt 2 and Fuel appeared in the registry after the originals were pulled but they haven't been touched in months. GamersGate originally told people that it wouldn't be able to distribute keys to those who'd bought the game back in December, and were still waiting, until Codemasters finished updating the game, however:

[...]

Maybe Codemasters has given up on patching Fuel or maybe those wheels are finally being set in motion.

Darn, that's frustrating. Seeing those games in Lain's marvelous giveaway reminded me, and then I noticed Gamersgate currently has a Codies sale, but they too have apparently removed those games from their catalogue.

I enjoyed both very much, especially Dirt 2, although I haven't yet brought either anywhere near to completion. The "open world" aspect of Fuel was also great simply for chilling out. I keep getting the occasional urge to play these two, but at the same time I feel reluctant to continue while things are still in limbo.

Thanks anyway :)

StAidan

Thanks for Lilly Looking Through!

derExperte

To all the winners, congrats and have fun.

Thanks for EvilQuest!

Fuel isn't available in my region =/
What makes it a good racing game or one of interest?

The interesting aspect is the large, open world. Unfortunately that means the races themselves are often too long and the track design boring as it feels like they built the world first and then put some checkpoints in it. What FUEL is good for is zoning out and listening to some podcasts while for example doing a one hour endurance race.

_hekk05

Banned
Risk of Rain

You unlock other classes in risk of rain by completing challenges. They change the way you play pretty drastically.

The entire premise of the game is the cool items, as well as the balance of time. Do you spend more time farming items, but meet harder enemies later on, or do you rush through the game, fighting easier enemies but with less items?

fantomena

The rest from Bundlestars bundles.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Call of Juarez -- MB-A1A07380FA355D71 - Taken by Jawmuncher
King Arthur II: The Role Playing Wargame -- MB-E1A0A3056EF982B2 - Taken by pahamrick - Taken by pahamrick
The 11th Hour -- MB-0703AC2ECB7DCFEE - Taken by Benedict
Runespell: Overture -- MB-BAEB7C5E8BB68641 - Taken by wazoo
Lucius -- MB-134D82DDCF680884 - Taken by VikasNarula
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky -- MB-3EA3191FAAD6F17B - Taken by Atraveller
The 7th Guest -- MB-91C6F228D69A47E0 - Taken by JPizzle84

Skyzard

Banned
I'm overloading on PC gaming goodness recently:

BF4
Trials Fusion
Next Car Game
South Park Stick of Truth
Dark Souls II
PlanetSide 2
Trackmania Stadium

Feels good. Has been too long. And hot damn iprocessor and SSD is smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom