• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Huge craving to get into a good pirate game on steam, which is the best? Sid?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

About a pirate in it? Monkey Island franchise. Insult duelling.
To play as a pirate involving plundering and the like and to get immersed into it, aye Sid Meier's Pirates.
If you want an easy go to game of rather simple combat, but plenty of ship battles, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag offers that. Though personally I didn't find much joy out of it's ship battles as they all felt the same and required very little in the way of strategy.

If you are of the mind for a strategy trading game where you are fighting off pirates, setting up convoys, expanding an empire, and all that fun stuff then Port Royale 2 is the way to go.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
To play as a pirate involving plundering and the like and to get immersed into it, aye Sid Meier's Pirates.
If you want an easy go to game of rather simple combat, but plenty of ship battles, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag offers that. Though personally I didn't find much joy out of it's ship battles as they all felt the same and required very little in the way of strategy.

If you are of the mind for a strategy trading game where you are fighting off pirates, setting up convoys, expanding an empire, and all that fun stuff then Port Royale 2 is the way to go.
Risen 2 is pretty piratey.

I'd argue that Assassin's Creed has better combat than Pirates! Pirates is a pretty simple.

Dice

Pirates is way more authentic pirate life tho.

But can you swashbuckle a croc in Pirates? No, only in Risen 2.

ss_75ebbd6125941ca2a8fc70e06b9b63ca219395b5.1920x1080.jpg

Edit: I think the Saints Row team should take a break from that franchise and do a pirate game. I want to swashbuckle while surfing and any other crazy shit one could do. They are the right people to do it. They could fill it to the brim with personality and scenarios and "edgy" shit to make it the legit pirate life, yet to only-in-videogames extremes and self-awareness.

Panzon

I wanna create some skins for Batman: AC but have no idea where to even get started. I have zero knowledge of modding any games and just wanted to know where the best place for me to get started would be. I'm also gonna try my hands at some RE 4:UHDE if it's not too difficult of a process.

What websites do you guys use for downloading game mods like skins, textures, etc?

Sorry if this is an off topic question but I have no clue where else to ask

Aitor

leftovers
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

GIANA SISTERS TWISTED DREAMS -- MB-1C507A1085CC6596 - Taken by Pop
NIGHTMARES FROM THE DEEP -- MB-B6F0F2C844D363B0 - Taken by Jmanunknown - Taken by Jmanunknown

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
If you voted for Battlepillars during it's Greenlight process, you can get a free copy now. Or maybe you can just get a free copy anyway, I think Stump said there's no good way to check if you voted. Anyway, free game for the next sixish hours.

http://wgn.uk.to/redeem/battlepillars/

edit: Alright, well this is a little more exciting. Apparently there are Unreal 4 tech demos out for download now?

Link

Grabbing the Elemental one now.

I've had a pretty spectacular day in Dark Souls 1. I've been trying to wrap that up, at an accelerated pace, so I can jump over to 2.

I finally figured out what my missing Big Hat Logan problem was, and found him. Unfortunately, I accidently attacked him in the process (by clicking back into the Dark Souls window), and had to go pay 31,000 Souls to atone for my sins. It didn't take all that long though.

With that out of the way, I went off to grab the Cursebite Ring from New Londo Ruins for my battle with Seath the Scaleless. It worked out pretty well once I remembered how to fight ghosts. I also got the key I need for the Four Kings fight.

From here I went back to fight Seath. I had trouble the first time, because the Man Eater Shell's followed me into the fight. I am miserable at fighting those dudes. That said, I beat Seath on my first try (once the fog door was there).

I hopped over to the Demon Ruins, and fought the Demon Firesage (not super eventful), and then the Centipede Demon. I hit an amazing bug in battle with the Centipede Demon where he grabbed me before I damaged him at all, and threw me at the ground. I lost half health, but he was nowhere to be seen. Out of nowhere, the full healthbar drained to zero, and "VICTORY ACHIEVED" appeared. It was a celebration.

I used the Pyromancy option on a bug behind a door, rather than join a covenant/farm 30 humanities, to ensure that a certain character that I admire wouldn't die.

I'm just heading into Lost Izalith now to fight The Bed of Chaos. After that, all I have left to take care of is the Four Kings, and then finally go to the Tomb of the Giants.

Anyone have any advice on which to do first, out of the two?

/Dark Souls 1 Travelogue

I really need to take a break from DMC4 and start going through some of my backlog (I see those STEAM stats are for real). I'm just not that type of gamer that likes to play a game once and move on. I like to get as much as I can from the experience as possible before moving in, but with school I can only play one at a time. I just bought Sleeping Dogs so I may give that a shot since I see it's heavily recommended by people in here.

Dice

Anyone know how useful the DLC shit in Company of Heroes 2 collectors edition is? I'm thinking of getting the game and doubling the price seems ridiculous. I already have the original CoH games so that part is completely pointless.

Pudge

I think the Saints Row team should take a break from that franchise and do a pirate game. I want to swashbuckle while surfing and any other crazy shit one could do. They are the right people to do it. They could fill it to the brim with personality and scenarios and "edgy" shit to make it the legit pirate life, yet to only-in-videogames extremes and self-awareness.

Someone get this to Volition stat. Get Saints Row Five: It's a Gangsta's Life For Me into production. This is too good an idea not to be a thing.

Levyne

Banned
Man, extra work stuff just sapped away a huge chunk of my weekend. Oh well.

I've had a pretty spectacular day in Dark Souls 1. I've been trying to wrap that up, at an accelerated pace, so I can jump over to 2.

I finally figured out what my missing Big Hat Logan problem was, and found him. Unfortunately, I accidently attacked him in the process (by clicking back into the Dark Souls window), and had to go pay 31,000 Souls to atone for my sins. It didn't take all that long though.

With that out of the way, I went off to grab the Cursebite Ring from New Londo Ruins for my battle with Seath the Scaleless. It worked out pretty well once I remembered how to fight ghosts. I also got the key I need for the Four Kings fight.

From here I went back to fight Seath. I had trouble the first time, because the Man Eater Shell's followed me into the fight. I am miserable at fighting those dudes. That said, I beat Seath on my first try (once the fog door was there).

I hopped over to the Demon Ruins, and fought the Demon Firesage (not super eventful), and then the Centipede Demon. I hit an amazing bug in battle with the Centipede Demon where he grabbed me before I damaged him at all, and threw me at the ground. I lost half health, but he was nowhere to be seen. Out of nowhere, the full healthbar drained to zero, and "VICTORY ACHIEVED" appeared. It was a celebration.

I used the Pyromancy option on a bug behind a door, rather than join a covenant/farm 30 humanities, to ensure that a certain character that I admire wouldn't die.

I'm just heading into Lost Izalith now to fight The Bed of Chaos. After that, all I have left to take care of is the Four Kings, and then finally go to the Tomb of the Giants.

Anyone have any advice on which to do first, out of the two?

/Dark Souls 1 Travelogue

I feel like a scumbag because for Seath I always just use arrows. He moves so slowly so just pew pew, run to other side, pew pew and repeat.

Do the Tomb of Giants!

Dice

Someone get this to Volition stat. Get Saints Row Five: It's a Gangsta's Life For Me into production. This is too good an idea not to be a thing.
If you tell them directly but you don't work for them, they can't use it. It is a liability. So we can just talk about such things like this and if they see it they can be like "From what we have seen, we think fans would like such a concept"

Grief.exe

What has been going on in the Steam thread over the weekend? Anything interesting going on with other games?

I have been so enthralled with DS2 I haven't been able to keep up in the slightest!

Also, how do you change the controller hot key for starting Big Picture mode? I keep accidentally turning it on whenever I have to turn off the DS4.

I feel like a scumbag because for Seath I always just use arrows. He moves so slowly so just pew pew, run to other side, pew pew and repeat.
I basically pressed myself up against him, which seemed to miss the majority of his crystal ground attacks. I went in expecting to use the run just to learn his behaviors, and revisit it after my inevitable death. It was a cool surprise, to be met with success!

Do the Tomb of Giants!
Sounds like a plan!

What has been going on in the Steam thread over the weekend? Anything interesting going on with other games?

I have been so enthralled with DS2 I haven't been able to keep up in the slightest!

Also, how do you change the controller hot key for starting Big Picture mode? I keep accidentally turning it on whenever I have to turn off the DS4.

Unfortunately, you don't, as far as I know. It's why I want an option to disable BPM.

But maybe you can try the old method of DS3 turnoff -- L1+R1+HOME (hold). It might make Steam not recognize the HOME press because it's not the only input.

Redrum_82

Unfortunately, you don't, as far as I know. It's why I want an option to disable BPM.

But maybe you can try the old method of DS3 turnoff -- L1+R1+HOME (hold). It might make Steam not recognize the HOME press because it's not the only input.

Just tried it and it works!
When L1+R1 are pressed, the home button doesn't even get registered by windows and the controller just turns off.

Vardhan

Do you guys think Sleeping Dogs will be 80% off again, or is this a one time deal? I don't have the required amount of money (because I want some of the DLC as well), but if it is likely to be discounted so heavily in the future, I think I can wait.

Also are any of the Sleeping Dogs DLC good? Like which ones are the story-based ones and which ones do I not need to get?

Do you guys think Sleeping Dogs will be 80% off again, or is this a one time deal? I don't have the required amount of money (because I want some of the DLC as well), but if it is likely to be discounted so heavily in the future, I think I can wait.

Also are any of the Sleeping Dogs DLC good? Like which ones are the story-based ones and which ones do I not need to get?

I'm sure it'll be that cheap during the Summer sale, possibly again before that happens.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It might be 80% off again during the summer sale or a while from now. As for what DLC is good, and how to disable the cheat DLC if you buy complete since it's cheaper, this post will help:

A man who never plays Sleeping Dogs is never a whole man.

Interested in getting the DLC ala carte? Here are the priority tiers:

Highest Priority - Substantial new content/new campaigns
Nightmare in Northpoint
Year of the Snake (Probably the best of the bunch)

High Priority - New content, only a few linear missions
Zodiac Tournament (It's linear fighting, but the 70's kung-fu movie aesthetic is fun)
Wheels of Fury

Low Priority - Costume/Weapon/Side-Mission packs
Street Racer
Tactical Soldier
Triad Enforcer
Deep Undercover
Drunken Fist
GSP Pack
Law Enforcer
Gangland Style
Martial Arts
Monkey King
Movie Masters
Police Protection
Retro Triad
Screen Legends
Square Enix Character
SWAT

Bottom-tier - Cheat packs
Red Envelope (Puts money envelope collectables at the Parking Garages)
High Roller (Just unlocks stuff that can be unlocked during normal gameplay)
Top Dog Gold
Top Dog Silver

Fake Edit: After considering how much cheaper the DLC collections are compared to buying them all ala carte, I did a search to see if anyone figured out how to deactivate the cheat DLCs that are included in the collections. It turns out that there is a way to deactivate them, according to the sticky thread in the Steam Forums. You just need to delete or dummy out certain .dat files in the Sleeping Dogs directory to deactivate the cheat DLCs. The above link has a full list DLC dats, but the four files that definitely need to be deleted/dummied before starting a new game are:
1E6323E1.dat Top Dog Gold Pack
576E446C.dat Top Dog Silver Pack
E58008F5.dat Red Envelope Pack
AC8D6F78.dat High Roller Pack

The story of Thief (2014) is so bad that I almost feel insulted. The game itself is average, with some great moments, but too many things done wrong, but the story is just horrendous.

Turfster

The story of Thief (2014) is so bad that I almost feel insulted. The game itself is average, with some great moments, but too many things done wrong, but the story is just horrendous.

It's a frankenstory, badly pieced together from like, 5 different stories.
It's a fucking joke.

DocSeuss

Man, NOLF is amazing.

[12:17:55 AM] DocSeuss: "Zey sent a woman to do a man's job?"
[12:18:03 AM] DocSeuss: "You may lodge a formal comp--hold that thought."
[12:18:06 AM] DocSeuss: *exit cutscene*
[12:18:12 AM] DocSeuss: *five guys rush the room with machine guns*
[12:18:14 AM] DocSeuss: *kill all of them*
[12:18:20 AM] DocSeuss: *cutscene resumes*
[12:18:22 AM] DocSeuss: "As I was saying."
[12:18:31 AM] DocSeuss: "...never mind. Just get me out of here."

I need to go make this be on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man, NOLF is amazing.

I need to go make this be on Steam.

Oh yeah, I forgot to respond to your post about AvP2 yesterday or whenever it was. As per this USPTO document it didn't go with Monolith to WB, which presumably means it's sitting somewhere at Acti (Fox Interactive -> Vivendi Universal Games -> Vivendi Games -> Acti-Blizz -> Acti-Blizz: Independent Edition).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom