• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

Same boat, man...
mfw when ubisoft cut her out from AC because she's too expensive

not really, but still bummed

Uh.... huh. RIght, guys.
Vangers uses voxel graphics; the engine was built around that resolution as such, so higher resolutions would require a lot of work not necessary to enjoy the game.

I've bought it after reading through the developer's old and new websites, which respectively have a glossary and a condensed backstory for the Vangers universe. Game looks fucking crazy: top-down car combat CRPGs taking place in truly alien, unforgiving environments? With hillbilly techno music? It only cost me 3 bucks and a half, and I feel confident in the buy. The devs are active on the game forum as well, which is a good sign of things to come.

Arthea

This weekend steam locked me from redeeming keys because I tried too many keys of games I have. I didn't even knew this was a thing! I stopped checking do I have a game before trying to redeem it, as a steam client feels so sloppy, I decided it's much faster just to check the key.
And it was not for 5 minutes or even 10, I was able to redeem games the next day though. Still seems a strange thing. Why would they implement such restrictions anyway?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Vangers uses voxel graphics; the engine was built around that resolution as such, so higher resolutions would require a lot of work not necessary to enjoy the game.

I've bought it after reading through the developer's old and new websites, which respectively have a glossary and a condensed backstory for the Vangers universe. Game looks fucking crazy: top-down car combat CRPGs taking place in truly alien, unforgiving environments? With hillbilly techno music? It only cost me 3 bucks and a half, and I feel confident in the buy. The devs are active on the game forum as well, which is a good sign of things to come.

Heh, it does seem like an interesting experience. But it's ~US$7.00 for me?

Tizoc

Do not put too much hope in i based on early feedback.

Ooof mind sharing what info there is about the game(play)? After Thief 2014, I am more than willing to wait for this to drop to $10 (Still getting Wolfen day 1 for Nazi Slaughtering~)

Man, wish I had read about Injustice's PC port before buying it.

I used the game's own auto-detect for my video settings and it maxes everything out. I'm going through the practice mode, screwing around with the characters, the game looks great and runs fine...for the first few practice matches. The problem starts to crop up the longer I play. When I select another set of characters to do another practice match with, the game runs in slow-motion when I start a match. If I exit to the main menu and start a new practice match, rather than going from practice match to character select and back, the game runs fine. I've read about how lowering the shadow quality and turning down the anti-aliasing quality fix this but it only seems to delay the slowdown. Rather than being every other match it happens after nine or ten matches. It almost looks like it's some kind of memory leak.

Apparently there are also issues with Nvidia cards as well but I haven't found a comprehensive answer as to what those issues are beyond "Nvidia users are experiencing a range of performance issues".

I've read that the game's rendering is frame dependent, so if there's a drop in the framerate the game won't skip a frame, it still renders everything. The game is locked at 60 frames per second but if your framerate drops, say to 45 fps, then it still renders every frame, it just makes the game move 25% slower. Apparently Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition had this issue as well? I triple dipped for that (PS3 and Vita) but didn't get beyond a few practice matches and a bit into the story mode before I just stopped. I never ran into any performance issues with MKK during my brief time playing it.

What I don't get is this is a DX9 up-port of a 360/PS3 game. At least it will run better when I upgrade my rig, later this year. I should've bought Broforce instead, this is my punishment.

I've read that forcing the v-sync off in Injustice with the Nvidia Control Panel is supposed to help but it's too late to test it out now since it takes a couple of matches for the slowdown to creep up. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Edit: The netcode is, apparently, a complete disaster. Weeeeeee!

saunderez

It's ok to blame Ubisoft but Injustice is published by WB :)

Lol wasn't blaming Ubisoft, I was going to buy it off them cheap during the recent WB sale. Picked up Blackgate and the Arkham Origins Season Pass instead.

To be honest, my Ubisoft experience on PC has been relatively pain free. Which is rather surprising.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. I played it back when it came out and it used to be one of my favorite games ever. A few weeks ago I found a copy of it from a flea market for 1 euro and of course grabbed it as I had no idea where my original copy was. Replayed the game and suffice to say, it's still one my favorite games ever.

I just need to find a copy of NOLF 2 somehow now. I never played that and people here told me it actually improved things from the first one.
I don't know, I think I enjoyed the first one a bit more. Both games have a few frustrating and/or annoying parts, but if I'm not mistaken NOLF2 has one I particularly hated
(the level where you are attacked by ninjas with katanas or something like that; the fight in the house inside a tornado was infuriating too)
. But still, both games are amazing and have an incredibly good and hilarious writing.

Copons

I know this has already been asked plenty of times, but in these days of continuous releases things change frantically.

So: I was wondering about some good local co-op games to play with my SO.
We already played Walking Dead (co-op in the sense I held the pad and she answered the questions :D ) and we're about to complete Monaco.

I was thinking to try co-opping Portal 2 with her, but it's probably too complicated for her, since I don't think she's ever touched an fps, and also the game concepts could be hard to understand without having already played both Portal games in single.

I tried with Magicka, but holy shit the spell system is too hard even for me! :D

Sonic Racing Transformed she doesn't want because she's not really into competition (even tho I remember seeing her play MK on her DS like always when I first met her :D ).

A random Lego game would be nice, but we have only one gamepad, and I'm not really sure it would control fine with kb/m.

Do you have something to suggest?
it would be even nicer if free or close to free :p

Knurek

I know this has already been asked plenty of times, but in these days of continuous releases things change frantically.

So: I was wondering about some good local co-op games to play with my SO.
We already played Walking Dead (co-op in the sense I held the pad and she answered the questions :D ) and we're about to complete Monaco.

Both Trine games fit the bill, also Adventure of Shuggy has a ~1 hour long co-op campaign.

Mass Effect/Baldur's Gate/Planescape games would also work in the WD way - you playing, her choosing the answers.

Tizoc

I was thinking to try co-opping Portal 2 with her, but it's probably too complicated for her, since I don't think she's ever touched an fps, and also the game concepts could be hard to understand without having already played both Portal games in single.
I've actually played Portal 2 co-op on PS3 with my brother who does not play FPS nor has played Portal before. I also didn't find the early puzzles too complicated, but finding the solution is always a joy.

Sonic Racing Transformed she doesn't want because she's not really into competition (even tho I remember seeing her play MK on her DS like always when I first met her :D ).
That's an odd reason to not want to play it. Even when I have family members over they just play it for fun. SART on Easy is fun since she'd win 90% of the time if you just let her ;P

Do you have something to suggest?
it would be even nicer if free or close to free :p
Well there's Double Dragon Neon >_>;

zkylon

zkylewd
Here's the OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808270&highlight=archeblade
It takes getting used to but what little I played seemed OK. You're going to be playing a lot so you can upgrade your character to be stronger.
yea, it's not my kind of thing anyways

thanks

Oh man that Archeblade Banner pic is pretty cool.....

ArcheBlade_Official_01.jpg

This seems very similar to SFxT. I can't find a good photo for comparison but I swear they used something exactly like that.
yea something like that went through my head when looking at the page with the playboy bunny outfits and whatnot

but banner pic was pretty cool

Copons

Both Trine games fit the bill, also Adventure of Shuggy has a ~1 hour long co-op campaign.

Mass Effect/Baldur's Gate/Planescape games would also work in the WD way - you playing, her choosing the answers.

Ah, I forgot to mention that I kinda hate both Trine... :D

Shuggy I don't know anything about it except that it has been in hundreds bundles and still I don't own it. I'm gonna check it out tonight with her!

As for the WRPG, while it's true they're plenty plot-oriented, they have a huge action/whatever part that I guess wouldn't really be super cool to just watch waiting for the next wall-of-text dialogue. :D
also ME sucks and Planescape I dunno why I never understood it, like as soon as I get out the prison or whatever that was, I feel lost, I don't know what to do anymore and I ditch it everytime. :( Probably because I don't like D20 system in videogames, though

I've actually played Portal 2 co-op on PS3 with my brother who does not play FPS nor has played Portal before. I also didn't find the early puzzles too complicated, but finding the solution is always a joy.

That's an odd reason to not want to play it. Even when I have family members over they just play it for fun. SART on Easy is fun since she'd win 90% of the time if you just let her ;P

Well there's Double Dragon Neon >_>;

Yeah, I'll probably force Portal 2 onto her, sooner or later. Also because I still need to complete the co-op part, as my friends suck.

As for Sonic: she doesn't like the competition against me. Probably because I rulz or because I'm a bitch when I lose. :D

Is DDN good? I always assumed it was crap. Also, for beat'em ups I was thinking Castle Crasher but 12€ seems a little too much. :/

Tizoc

Is DDN good? I always assumed it was crap. Also, for beat'em ups I was thinking Castle Crasher but 12€ seems a little too much. :/

I do believe jett likes Double Dragon Neon. It's a simple game with a nice presentation and kickass music. It might be a hard game for her to play though since you need to know when and how to dodge attacks. However as you progress in the game and unlock more abilities it becomes easier.

EDIT: OH WAIT THERE'S METAL SLUG 3! ...but it might be too hard for her especially as the game only offers 20 continues >_>;

Knurek

As for the WRPG, while it's true they're plenty plot-oriented, they have a huge action/whatever part that I guess wouldn't really be super cool to just watch waiting for the next wall-of-text dialogue. :D

Well, if you're into role-playing, she can always be your dispatcher in ETS2. :)
If you are not adverse to using emulators, co-op is great in Seiken Densetsu 3 on SNES (fan-translation available).

Copons

I do believe jett likes Double Dragon Neon. It's a simple game with a nice presentation and kickass music. It might be a hard game for her to play though since you need to know when and how to dodge attacks. However as you progress in the game and unlock more abilities it becomes easier.

EDIT: OH WAIT THERE'S METAL SLUG 3! ...but it might be too hard for her especially as the game only offers 20 continues >_>;

Oh yeah Metal Slug would be sweeeeeeeet, at least for me. :D
But with 20 continues would probably be over before the first boss. Especially because I'm used to MAME and its infinite cash. :D

Well, if you're into role-playing, she can always be your dispatcher in ETS2. :)
If you are not adverse to using emulators, co-op is great in Seiken Densetsu 3 on SNES (fan-translation available).

Yeah I could create a 3D model of her and mod it into the passenger seat of my trucks, but it would be too creepy indeed. Also she always force me to listen to her music in my car, so NOPE.
But I could actually brush up on my SNES and Secret of Mana, even tho I remember it to be hard as fuck, but probably because I played it when I was a kid and I didn't know a single word of English... :D

EDIT:
oh fuck I found it!
We could play together Go! Go! Nippon!, so I can finally show her
boobs
my astounding knowledge of Japan and all the awesome stuff I saw when I've been there!

Dr Dogg

All this news about Kadokawa buying From has made remember that Killer is Dead is delayed until the end of May :(

Really wanted to try that with some Durante magic and what the crazy art design pop.

Oh Copons, I've found turn based games are great to get your non game playing partner to join in. We both had a great time playing South Park Stick of Truth with me doing all the leg work.

Tizoc

@Copons- No offense but I don't see how SART would be the kind of game you'd flip if you lost, it's just a fun game to play and on Easy it's a breeze ^^;
All this news about Kadokawa buying From has made remember that Killer is Dead is delayed until the end of May :(
in my case, that'd be good especially if its delayed to the same week I get my May payslip XP

Copons

BroForce is extremely fun in coop, and will control fine with a kb
Hammerwatch : gauntlet type of game, doesn't look like much but is extremely enjoyable.
Legend of dungeon: one of my favorit indie game of last year.

Don't know if it qualifies, but also would like to mention that Awesomenauts allows local co-op for both offline and online matches.

You got me with Hammerwatch, as Gauntlet II for NES is one of my favourite games ever! But of course I missed all its sales because I was sure I already owned it, but instead it was Hammerfight. :/

Oh Copons, I've found turn based games are great to get your non game playing partner to join in. We both had a great time playing South Park Stick of Truth with me doing all the leg work.

SP is like on top of my wishlist, as soon as it get at the right price it will probably be the most serious candidate of a fake-co-op run! :)

@Copons- No offense but I don't see how SART would be the kind of game you'd flip if you lost, it's just a fun game to play and on Easy it's a breeze ^^;

None taken! It's not me, it's her, and the usual girl-obsessions. :D

You've made an excellent, wise decision

Indeed.
A man gotta take hard choices when his so much needed time to play Civ5 is endangered by the possibility of co-op with his SO.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
30 hours in Dark Souls II, not showing any wear on the DS4's thumb sticks..

Operation has been perfect through both USB and Bluetooth using DS4 Tool.

Do you have a Wii U pro? If so how would you rate the DS4 alongside it?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
that is one super cool boxart

Was thinking the same thing, I love it.

Of their two most recently developed games, it definitely has the better boxart. I really like how they went for a more somber haunting feel on the design.

Though their other internally developed game, Demon Gaze, formed from a partnership with another dev, certainly has some, uh, interesting imagery itself.

Dr Dogg

in my case, that'd be good especially if its delayed to the same week I get my May payslip XP

It's a crazy couple of months and finding the free time to squeeze all these releases in is proving somewhat a pain and shifting releases isn't do much to help. Looks like a few things will go on the back burner for the time being. Though just got confirmation my copy of Child of Delight has dispatched and Dark Souls II should be winging it's way to me by the end of the week. Then there's a massive gap towards the end of the month were KiD is squeezed right next to the Dogs of Watchness.

Couple that with my backlog of stuff I'll actually play I'm good for games waaaay up until Beyond Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom