• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the opposite for me. I think Cage's best writing was in Heavy Rain, even though it's still not very good, and his worst is in Beyond. Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy both had some semblance of potential, at least.
I enjoyed Heavy Rain more because of its permanent death mechanic, but I certainly would agree that Beyond is overall his best written work. While some stuff feels rushed (and is because of removed content) it doesn't affect the game as much as it did in HR and Fahrenheit. Almost all themes get to an end, there are no unanswered questions, all scenes have a purpose and there is not a single plothole really when it comes to the main narrative. Not to mention that the final "twist" is much more logical than the one in HR. If I could cherry pick scenes then I would say the first half of Fahrenheit is probably the best with the exception of like 3 chapters. Heavy Rain had a lot of great scenes throughout, but unfortunately some big plot holes as well.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ihbrYgkbtUNZG.PNG

Fits the game's concept, I guess... (The Swapper)

MUnited83

For you.
I suspect he's more the +25 keys kinda guy.

He is not getting 25 keys for a steam key though :p. People always put more value on a steam gift copy because of the advantages( knowing for sure it works, being able to trade it and keep it on the inventory, etc). I think most people interested on this game are already aware that it's steamworks and that retail copies activate on steam, and they know they can get it for much cheaper than 25 keys.

Yuuichi

You guys like fun rumors? Go search up "Halo" in steam groups and scroll down a bit to find:
7YWRa.jpg

Yup, those are exactly what they look like. Releases incoming?

(I didn't see this posted, apologies if posted elsewhere)

mannerbot

You guys like fun rumors? Go search up "Halo" in steam groups and scroll down a bit to find:
7YWRa.jpg

I'm down to rebuy the Halo trilogy on PC. Here's hoping for good netcode for CE!

Chronoja

7YWRa.jpg

Those aren't new, they've been there ever since the huge list of prophecy last year, the one where most of the games that appeared on it, gleaned from database sightings, eventually released. It's similar to how the DnD games like Icewind Dale etc. have community hubs.

Those aren't new, they've been there ever since the huge list of prophecy last year, the one where most of the games that appeared on it, gleaned from database sightings, eventually released. It's similar to how the DnD games like Icewind Dale etc. have community hubs.

People playing the games, however, may be new?

I've never added a non-steam game to steam so I do t know how easy it is to spoof titles.

MUnited83

For you.
People playing the games, however, may be new?

I've never added a non-steam game to steam so I do t know how easy it is to spoof titles.

These are just groups. When it says the number of "in-game" players , it is referring to the player on the group who are playing ANY game.

FauX

New Milestone!

FAuXp.jpg

I know I will never surpass JaseC's Collection (and his craziness) but I'm really happy reaching 400 awesome Steam Games. I hope you guys feel the same way.

Cheers!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey GAF,

Just wanted to give everyone here a heads up that the Patreon campaign for Enhanced Steam is now under way!

http://www.patreon.com/enhancedsteam

Here's how it works - you sign up for Patreon, then enter an amount you'd like to donate on a monthly basis to help support Enhanced Steam's continued existence. If you donate over $5, you get a special "Enhanced Steam Supporter" badge for your Steam profile. There are gold, silver, and bronze badges for different levels of support.

Even if you can't donate $5 a month, every little bit helps.

I'm not begging for donations, I just wanted to let everyone know that the campaign was live. :)

Oreoleo

heyo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Q.U.B.E. -- MB-8E877DA410BD74D3

t1396846232z1.png

New Milestone!

FAuXp.jpg

I know I will never surpass JaseC's Collection (and his craziness) but I'm really happy reaching 400 awesome Steam Games. I hope you guys feel the same way.

Cheers!

There there, no one expects you nor anyone else to reach JaseC's level. Be proud of you 400 games and treat them how you would treat those Salvation Army Santa's on the street.
1382908597880.gif

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
That feature was already in FTL vanilla, but you had to enable it in the options.

I can't believe I never noticed that. Well. I have no idea how I never noticed this. It's right there in the options menu.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain more because of its permanent death mechanic, but I certainly would agree that Beyond is overall his best written work. While some stuff feels rushed (and is because of removed content) it doesn't affect the game as much as it did in HR and Fahrenheit. Almost all themes get to an end, there are no unanswered questions, all scenes have a purpose and there is not a single plothole really when it comes to the main narrative. Not to mention that the final "twist" is much more logical than the one in HR. If I could cherry pick scenes then I would say the first half of Fahrenheit is probably the best with the exception of like 3 chapters. Heavy Rain had a lot of great scenes throughout, but unfortunately some big plot holes as well.

I can agree with this. IP/F had one of the best openings to a video game I can think of, only for it to be progressively ruined over the course of the game.

As for Beyond, I have a lot of problems with its script, especially since most of its ending is so painfully obvious as to what the twists will be, especially in regards to who Aiden is, along with one other thing that's supposed to happen in the game's future, even more so if one character isn't around. Although I can't really recall too many plot holes in its story line as compared to HR's slew of plot holes.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Man, I won't lie. I wasn't expecting much at all from Arkham Blackgate but I'm having tons of fun with it!
Guess I was really craving a Metroidvania...

natertots

Hey GAF,

Just wanted to give everyone here a heads up that the Patreon campaign for Enhanced Steam is now under way!

Here's how it works - you sign up for Patreon, then enter an amount you'd like to donate on a monthly basis to help support Enhanced Steam's continued existence. If you donate over $5, you get a special "Enhanced Steam Supporter" badge for your Steam profile. There are gold, silver, and bronze badges for different levels of support.

I'm not begging for donations, I just wanted to let everyone know that the campaign was live. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I really enjoy enhanced steam and I love being able to compare prices all in one place. I will definitely be signing up soon. Keep up the great work.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hey GAF,

nice, hope this works out for ya

or else i'd feel really silly lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
nice, hope this works out for ya

or else i'd feel really silly lol

Thanks again for the idea! Hopefully we can earn enough money to get some dedicated server hardware that's beefy enough to keep up with everyone that's using it.

I'm also hoping that if enough people can donate, it will show Valve that Enhanced Steam has enough features in it that their customers are willing to put money towards. Help me show them that you see value in it.

-MD-

I'm also hoping that if enough people can donate, it will show Valve that Enhanced Steam has enough features in it that their customers are willing to put money towards. Help me show them that you see value in it.

What's the end-game goal here?

jshackles

What's the end-game goal here?

The impression I get from Valve is this: the more people that use Enhanced Steam, the better chance I have of being hired there.

Also, Valve adding "plugin" functionality into the Steam client would be really nice.

zkylon

zkylewd
you should shut the whole thing down for one day

and say to valve if you want es back then pay up cos i hear origin's hiring~~~

really more than anything i hope you make some cash for all your work, pay up some groceries and save for a trip and shit. you deserve it

zkylon

zkylewd
you should maybe send links to some videogame sites like rps and pcgamer and stuff?

might be worth campaigning a bit

jshackles

you should maybe send links to some videogame sites like rps and pcgamer and stuff?

might be worth campaigning a bit

I'm going to do what I can, but you guys are welcome to help me spread the word however you can. :)

I'm not sure about rps or pcgamer, they've never returned any of my emails.

Oreoleo

for the new page

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Q.U.B.E. -- MB-8E877DA410BD74D3 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 6 entrants total.

t1396846232z1.png

Is Monaco worth buying to play only solo (mostly)? I think at most I'd only be able to convince one of my friends to get it, so I'd probably end up playing it by myself mostly, or with randoms.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is Monaco worth buying to play only solo (mostly)? I think at most I'd only be able to convince one of my friends to get it, so I'd probably end up playing it by myself mostly, or with randoms.

probably not. it's not terrible or anything but it's 10x more fun if you play it just goofying around with friends.

Just finished Burial at Sea Episode 2. It was great and now I really want to replay the original Bioshock.
But I should probably play System Shock 2 first.

MUnited83

For you.
Do Bundle Stars no longer have timers? I want to get the RPG one and the Reboot 2.0 one, but i'd like to know how much time I have left to do it.

Aaron

Just finished Burial at Sea Episode 2. It was great and now I really want to replay the original Bioshock.
Actually, you should play Bioshock and then System Shock 2. Save the best, but hardest to get into, for last.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So in the last week or so I finished Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate so I thought I'd write up my thoughts to help summer sale planning/price-point purchase decision making. These are my opinions, I am not stating facts or anything.

What I Liked:
  • Apart from the occassional zoom-ins for combat finsihers, the visuals translated really nicely from the Vita version to PC. I was able to downsample from 3200x1800 while still locking it at 60 fps to clean up the image quality quite nicely too.
  • The metroidvania aspects of the game are pretty fun. It's neat returning to areas with more equipment to get at armor upgrades or suit pieces. They give you a lot of control in the order you approach the 3 main bosses in too.
  • The sub-bosses were pretty fun across the board. Two were quite creative and they all translated the weaknesses across to the player quite well. The one actual new one has some legit potential in future games.
  • The story hooks for the next game that WB Montreal is probably making are really neat. Between the post-credit sequence in Origins and the snippets in here I'm rather hyped.
What I Accepted:
  • The 2.5D design is confusing and awkward at first. I eventually got used to it, but it's definitely going to be a stumbling block for most players. I understand why they didn't want to go with 100% 2D design, but I think it would have made the game more playable.
  • The actual plot of the game isn't very interesting or exciting. They don't try to do much with the villains and it feels like the game exists only to tie into the universe rather than stand up in it.
What I Disliked:
  • The combat translates really poorly to the 2.5D. The enemies can move between multiple planes and Batman struggles to figure out which plane he wants to throw his punches towards. The hitboxes feel messy and the electric enemies are terrible.
  • The stealth feels super tacked on and translates to 2.5D as poorly as the combat. The tools Batman has access to in "stealth rooms" are always really limited and escaping combat once you inevitably slip into it is frustrating.
  • New game plus is really poorly designed. None of the upgrades carry over when the majority should have. The boss-related destructable items are all respawned too.
  • The game has a small fetch-quest before you head into the final boss. There are three variants of this based on the last boss you had finished. The fetch quests are all lame and they force you to tread through the majority of all 3 maps again. Twisting the knife further is that one special suit piece is unique to each of these variants.
  • The main bosses are irritatingly designed. Each of them require very specific approaches and the experimentation finding those solutions is painful and unrewarding. Two of them essentially have instant fail states and it's a pain in the ass repeating segments to get back to the portion you failed.
Conclusion:
I was okay with the game overall. I don't think I would bother recommending it to anyone who wasn't a fan of Batman and the Arkham games already. As a spin off it's fine, but it pales in the shadow of it's forefathers. It definitely needed more time to cook in the oven and the inspired 2D design that we see in Mark of the Ninja. For a sale price, I'd go for 5$ or less. If you don't like Batman don't buy it.

What I Liked:
  • I'm glad they didn't forget that PC existed and that they ported the game.
  • Over the course of Lords of Shadow 2, every single plot point from this game gets explained. Which makes this entry completely extraneous and unnecessary. This is a positive.
What I Accepted:
  • They didn't do much with the visuals in the port. When placed next to a game like Resident Evil: Revelations it looks really sad, but I doubt they had any real budget for this.
  • The bosses were okay. Most of them feel pretty different from the previous ones and they do a pretty good job incorporating new gameplay elements. A couple are really phoned in though and a couple are really boring.
What I Disliked:
  • Similar to Batman Blackgate, they translated the combat from the main games to 2D in an exceedingly poor and uninteresting manner. Enemies have silly amounts of health or shield-type items which turns battles into a grind.
  • The art design is really bland. Coming from Mercury this is a huge disappointment. LOS 1/2 have some of the strongest castle art direction in the business in my opinion. So many areas look the same here.
  • The metroidvania aspect is hilariously awful. You play the game in 3 acts and each act features a new character. Upgrades you had at the end of the previous act may or may not carry over to the new character. There is no rhyme or reason to what carries over and they don't try to explain why characters can magically do certain things when a previous one had to dig up a magic item for it.
  • Moving through the levels gets old really fast. By the end of the first act I was pretty much just heading directly to the objective waypoint since exploring was tedious.
  • The platforming feels really bad. Floaty and imprecise and awfully animated.It also feels weirdly slow. The environmental hazards that require any platforming made me want stop playing the game. It just felt like mean design.
Conclusion:
I didn't enjoy any part of this game really. It was pretty disappointing after an already disappointing LOS2. This game made LOS2 look better in retrospect though. I honestly wouldn't even bother with this game if you like LOS1/2. It adds nothing to the lore that isn't explained in the two main entries and it just isn't fun to play. Sale price: 0$.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't think the order matters too much, you'll probably enjoy both for different reasons, specially if you liked infinite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom