• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some thoughts from me on your thoughts.
I happen to like MoF better of the two. There are some impressive things that were done with Blackgate, but on the whole, a lot of those things they tried don't work. It's easy to get lost (I just spent a TON of time trying to figure out how to get back to the part of the Industrial map that was just after the "sub" boss of that area... but because of the way that area works, paths change and going back and forth isn't what you remember.). The combat is horrible. They have a glimmer of what makes the PC/console games special, but then it drops the ball. Leaving the difficulty on normal alleviates it some, but not enough. Add in a lot of stuff that's just as janky if not worse than some of the auto ledge grabbing animations in MoF and some slowdown (what the fuck, why is an HD port of a Vita game slowing down on my PC?). The cutscenes were pretty cool though.

As far as MoF goes, I thought the combat was nicely translated to 2D, especially as you get upgrades. Yeah, there's some jank as to why you have certain abilities and don't have them later or vice versa... but just like Kratos losing all his shit at the beginning of every game and getting powered down, I kind of blindly accept that stuff for the most part as something inherent in the design of making games like these. :\

zkylon

zkylewd
Happy Birthday! Being in your 20's is far better than being in your 30's. I would know.
don't remind me

i wish you could skip adulthood right into seniority, seems like child and old man suit me so much better than adult

happy birthday
Happy birthday!.
Happy birthday! That is a good brother.
yay :3

Not looking up for the lighting in the PC release, but we can keep hoping. Looks like previews are starting up tomorrow.
fingers crossed man

it's not a deal breaker for me but nobody hates pretty

I'm about to hit the pre-order button of Watch_Dawgs Deluxe ($69.99) guys. Somebody tell me I'm making a mistake.
we've discussed this bro

seriously why would you want 2 more hours of a ubi made game, you know it's gonna be padding, no need to do this to yourself

Grief.exe

I hate worms as much as the next guys, but this is great news nonetheless! Going to install SAM as soon as possible, because I totally need cash to be ready to buy Red Dead Redemption and Anno 1404!

Speaking of which: in these days I've a huge need of a city-builder/light-strategy fix (ie. from Sim City to Caesar), and I've noticed I don't own anything of this genre on Steam.
Is there something you would suggest me that is super low-priced?
I'd totally play Anno 2070 (often on sale, IIRC), but I'm kinda scared of the overload of DRM involved. :(

Have you looked into Banished? I've been signing its praises for the past month or so.

Focuses more on the micro level rather than the macro.

I'm about to hit the pre-order button of Watch_Dawgs Deluxe ($69.99) guys. Somebody tell me I'm making a mistake.

I would imagine the price on that game is going to drop like a rock after release.

May is looking like a solid month for releases. I will still be playing Dark Souls II, but we are getting other cool releases like The Forest, Killer is Dead, and more information here.

Tizoc

Happy b-day Zky. I'm 27 and I personally wish that the older I get, the younger I get =V

Crazy question: Is it feasable/possible for the 3DS Shinobi 3DS game to be ported on Steam?

GOG clashes with the fact I'm trying to keep everything on Steam, but thanks anyway!

Also, I realized I have Dungeon Keeper in my GOG account.

Oh for christ sake, I should totally make a fucking spreadsheet of everything I own, because I just don't know anymore. :'(
How many games do you have on GoG?

Milamber

1- UPlay
2- What would
Derrick
do?
3- The game runs the risk of suffering from the typical pointless dragging of game time that various Open World games suffer from
4- Summer Sale is on the horizon
Wouldn't you be better off ordering Steins;Gate?
You're making a terrible mistake when there are way cheaper games that are just as fun that all of that money can buy.

Plus you can get the deluxe edition on GMG for the low low price of $55.99 with the coupon code: 8KM88H-PPN6L5-SJ9GRU

Do it.
There are no cards! No cards, no purchase
we've discussed this bro

seriously why would you want 2 more hours of a ubi made game, you know it's gonna be padding, no need to do this to yourself
I would imagine the price on that game is going to drop like a rock after release.

May is looking like a solid month for releases. I will still be playing Dark Souls II, but we are getting other cool releases like The Forest, Killer is Dead, and more information here.
You are making a mistake.
Hmmm... All quite valid responses but I still feel that I want to try it out on the off chance Ubi may have redeemed themselves. Also...

C0Gq3xA.gif

Khronico

Happy birthday zkylon!

Is Steins Gate on Steam a thing that's going to happen or is it wishful thinking? I'd totally buy it if true.

Edit: Do not buy Ubisoft games at launch, Milamber. I can guarantee you it will be half price in 6-12 months.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
https://twitter.com/Reives_Freebird/status/453044661259489280

Ooh, To The Moon is getting steam trading cards.
Hopefully for those of you who haven't played the game yet, this'll push you over the edge because To The Moon is a fantastic game and it's one of the few games that have made me pretty damn emotional.

Ah, so there's a 15-card limit. Good to see that this won't be happening:

fccards.png

31 cards is just bonkers.

Edit: Happy b'day, zkyklslson. I'm 26 myself in a little over five weeks.

Hmmm... All quite valid responses but I still feel that I want to try it out on the off chance Ubi may have redeemed themselves. Also...

C0Gq3xA.gif
I fear that it might perform like shit like AC4, do remember that the game was developed for 6 platforms.

Edit: Especially that i7 3770 in the recommended system requirement.

Taken from the thread for the Misery mod but man it makes the blowouts in Call of Pripyat insane. Gif doesn't have the near nuclear explosions that can start going off.
ibxvcAeNkAA7Ft.gif

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

C0Gq3xA.gif

You'll save $14 with that code. You know you want to. Give in to your backlog. With each passing moment you make yourself more its servant. It is your destiny.

Wasn't AC4 also done in segments by different studios and stitched together with no input from each other? I may be wrong.
I don't know anything about that, but God does the game run like shit! And I don't know why NV would include it in their bundles, "Come buy a new powerful card and enjoy the stutters and drops!".

Copons

Have you looked into Banished? I've been signing its praises for the past month or so.

Focuses more on the micro level rather than the macro.

Yup, Banished is in my wishlist since its early access - or whatever it had before release.
It also was very high on it, until someone here said it was sort of unbalanced, so I lowered it and then I got it back high reading your praises. :)

How many games do you have on GoG?

Like 20 maybe?
But them + all the Steam games in my "to play" category + all the Steam crapware I got from bundles + all the yet-to-be-Greenlighted games from bundles + all the non-Steam games from bundles... they all add up to a huge blob of stuff I can't remember anymore... :'(

Jawmuncher

fccards.png

Jesus that would have been a bitch of a badge if you wanted to max it/

zkylon

zkylewd

C0Gq3xA.gif
i think ubi's beyond redemption by now

Happy birthday zkylon!
ty friend!

fccards.png

yea thank god

imagine the slog of putting all that crap in the market lol

really? would never have imagined you being younger than me. then again i don't imagine anyone being younger than me :p

and thanks my beautiful saoirse!

Taken from the thread for the Misery mod but man it makes the blowouts in Call of Pripyat insane. Gif doesn't have the near nuclear explosions that can start going off.
ibxvcAeNkAA7Ft.gif

wow that looks scary as hell

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Wall of truth
I'm playing Arkham Blackgate on normal, and having 2 bosses left the ones I fought didn't really find them annoying or anything.
Agree completely on the rest though.

just turned 26! i'm depressingly closer to 30 than 20 but hey, that's life :p

thanks steam gaf for being the best friends ever

love you all :3

also my bro just gave me a copy of dks2 pc so here's hoping it's all that grief ever dreamed of and more
Feliz cumple!!! :D

The only games that devalue faster on than Ubi games Steam are Squeenix games, think about that for a minute.

Milamber

ibxvcAeNkAA7Ft.gif
Oh my, now I wanna reinstall all my S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s again.

The only games that devalue faster on than Ubi games Steam are Squeenix games, think about that for a minute.
Uh... well... hmm... A very good point.

Tizoc

EDIT: OH FOR FREAKIN' CRYING OUT LOAD GROUPEES, WE'RE NOW LESS THAN A WEEK FROM BM12 ENDING, JUST REVEAL THE MYSTERY GAME ALREADY!

Happy birthday zkylon!

Is Steins Gate on Steam a thing that's going to happen or is it wishful thinking? I'd totally buy it if true.
They're trying to get it on Steam, but it all comes down to the main Japan company.

Edit: Do not buy Ubisoft games at launch, Milamber. I can guarantee you it will be half price in 6-12 months.

That's not even a valid reason! Do you even know what 6 or 12 months even are? Do you know how long they are?
Come on brah, if some wants to get a game day 1, then it would be because they want to play it day 1.

Grief.exe

Yup, Banished is in my wishlist since its early access - or whatever it had before release.
It also was very high on it, until someone here said it was sort of unbalanced, so I lowered it and then I got it back high reading your praises. :)

I don't think you can criticize Banished for being unbalanced, difficult yes. There are valid criticisms you can levy at Banished, but I don't see unbalanced.

As with other city builders, you have to create your own fun in a way. I have a lot of fun just going after the various achievements, some of which can be quite challenging.

Apparently the creator is working on a massive patch full of bug fixes, content, new achievements, and mod tools. I read his latest blog post where he described that he is a bit overwhelmed due to all of the work that goes into supporting a release as well as his other projects.

fccards.png

31 cards? Yikes. I'll have to think about it if I want to go for it. Probably most expensive card set ever?

Tellaerin

just turned 26! i'm depressingly closer to 30 than 20 but hey, that's life :p

thanks steam gaf for being the best friends ever

love you all :3

also my bro just gave me a copy of dks2 pc so here's hoping it's all that grief ever dreamed of and more

Happy birthday, man! :D Be sure to do something awesome to mark the occasion!

Corpekata

Banned

I don't think this is true. Except for the video card games, and even then Black Flag has retained value for a while. Generally every Steamworks focused publisher tends to go cheaper faster and harder than Ubi.

zkylon

zkylewd
Happy b-day Zky. I'm 27 and I personally wish that the older I get, the younger I get =V
you and me both dude

it's not in my plans to ever grow up but man do these numbers start turning on you

Feliz cumple!!! :D

i wish there was like a timetable for this so i can just basically set the launch date in my head to the discount time

i don't think watch dogs will go cheap soon tho, if i had to bet i'd say it'll be 40 bucks by the end of the year as the lowest. maybe a bit cheaper on like amazon or something but uplay only :<

Happy birthday, man! :D Be sure to do something awesome to mark the occasion!
thanks!

i'm kind of sick so not gonna do much lol, i'm having some friends over and we're prolly gonna talk games and code like we usually do when we hang out. imma take the family out to eat bolivian food for dinner and prolly just more friends on the weekend :)

i never organize parties for my birthday cos a friend of mine has the same birthday so i just go to her's :p

Dr Dogg

Happy bday zkylon!

So in the last week or so I finished Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate...

Oh... Well I'll grab Blackgate when next on sale and I'll wait until Mirror of Fate is at rock bottom. Cheers for the impressions.

Easy. Does it have a preorder discount? Are you going to play it day 1? If you answer yes to either of those then yes it's worth it. Personally I'd wait until somewhere like Toms or Anand have got some thorough CPU and GPU benches to see what this is really like (he says after having a preorder for 18+ months).

Copons

I don't think you can criticize Banished for being unbalanced, difficult yes. There are valid criticisms you can levy at Banished, but I don't see unbalanced.

As with other city builders, you have to create your own fun in a way. I have a lot of fun just going after the various achievements, some of which can be quite challenging.

Apparently the creator is working on a massive patch full of bug fixes, content, new achievements, and mod tools. I read his latest blog post where he described that he is a bit overwhelmed due to all of the work that goes into supporting a release as well as his other projects.

IIRC that negative opinion was talking about "literal" unbalance, like (I'm inventing of course) you have 10 people, of which 5 kids who have to go to school, 1 teacher for them and 4 workers who have to both build stuff and harvest food, but there is no way 2 or 3 farmers can sustain a 10-people community. Or something like that.
In other words, it seemed that in any given moment if one villager dies, your whole society collapses.
But maybe it was a very early opinion and meanwhile the game was fine-tuned. Or maybe that guy was just a whiner.

Anyway, I'm very eager for it to go on sale, even more if he's about to release a massive patch!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
really? would never have imagined you being younger than me. then again i don't imagine anyone being younger than me :p

and thanks my beautiful saoirse!

<3

i don't think watch dogs will go cheap soon tho, if i had to bet i'd say it'll be 40 bucks by the end of the year as the lowest. maybe a bit cheaper on like amazon or something but uplay only :<

Black Flag shipped 10 million in ~three months and was 40% off during the semi-recent Ubi sale. Watch Dogs isn't going to hit that mark so I think there's a good chance it'll be 66% off during the Winter Sale.

Arthea

Happy birthday Zkylon.

I venture into the steam thread and there is Trails talk going on, that's almost too good! Although release date would be even better, it seems they ran into another crashing problem, so, waiting game still. :(

oipic

i'm kind of sick so not gonna do much lol, i'm having some friends over and we're prolly gonna talk games and code like we usually do when we hang out. imma take the family out to eat bolivian food for dinner and prolly just more friends on the weekend :)

i never organize parties for my birthday cos a friend of mine has the same birthday so i just go to her's :p

Sounds like good times to me, well played, zky. :)

Happy Birthday, and have a great day (and night), mate. May it bring a game or two your way, as well. Enjoy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom