• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

So in regards to the Heartbleed issue , what is actually affected in steam itself and secondly . is it safe to fire up a game ?

Turfster

So in regards to the Heartbleed issue , what is actually affected in steam itself and secondly . is it safe to fire up a game ?

Since Steam is basically still (almost) complete website based, and so far(?) their OpenSSL hasn't been patched yet, everything.

Yeah well... if you are logged in you already sent information to the server and somebody COULD have read the data (if somebody logged in steam 1 second after you means that somebody had 1 second to get your data). Probablity of that is low. The only problem i see because of this whole public heartbleed stuff is that you can literally use it for yourself.

Im not quite sure what happens if you fire up a game. If the server needs PW and name then you are fucked.

Edit: That is only if i understand the whole issue right.

Arthea

Just read that will be no preoders for Trails games, they will be on steam the day they are released.
It seems, this month release is still not out of the question, that's good news, if I ever have seen some.

We are all screwed.

that can't be news to you (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Your account security is only at risk if you transmit details via SSL. This is why people are recommending you either don't log in or stay logged in if you're already online.

Anteater

Your account security is only at risk if you transmit details via SSL. This is why people are recommending you either don't log in or stay logged in if you're already online.

damn I logged on and off like 5 times in the last half an hour because I couldn't make up my mind, i'm fucked

Knurek

Just read that will be no preoders for Trails games, they will be on steam the day they are released.
It seems, this month release is still not out of the question, that's good news, if I ever have seen some.

Source please.
Very relevant to my interests.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
damn I logged on and off like 5 times in the last half an hour because I couldn't make up my mind, i'm fucked

RIP in Peace.

Edit: Blood Dragon dropped a foil for me. Maybe I should actually play my games more often. :p

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I was wondering if Playfire rewards would work with a family share account. My sister asked me to set up a family share account for her so that she can play Goat simulator and some other games from my account. I was thinking of directing her to also set up a playfire account and link up her family share id to gain some GMG credit and buy a game for her own. Would that be possible?

derExperte

Edit: That is only if i understand the whole issue right.

I don't think you do, it's not limited to a certain timeframe or one user before/after you.

http://heartbleed.com/

Without using any privileged information or credentials we were able steal from ourselves the secret keys used for our X.509 certificates, user names and passwords, instant messages, emails and business critical documents and communication.

And people can get the needed info to decrypt data they recorded earlier, so not logging in now may be useless if someone already targeted a site before and has its old traffic.

Here a tip: Dont do anything now. Just surf the internet on twitter or anything that is not vulnerable and wait for informations when it got fixxed. When it got fixxed change your password. The leak was just discovered a few hours ago. But that doesnt mean that nobody used it 1 year ago.

Be happy that you know that issue now. Because you can do something about it.

I don't think you do, it's not limited to a certain timeframe or one user before/after you.

http://heartbleed.com/

Okay. Well im not an expert.

Thorgal

Since Steam is basically still (almost) complete website based, and so far(?) their OpenSSL hasn't been patched yet, everything.

We are all screwed.

Welp in that case :

C1ErXjW.gif

Goes back to finishing Bravely default .

Nzyme32

Regarding this SSL // heartbleed stuff -

Apparently via steamDB twitter, the steam store has been patched but the steam community and a bunch of other stuff the client gets up to are still requiring fixes

Jawmuncher

Sure this has already made the rounds on SteamGAF but I though this was interesting

hi Jawmuncher,

I'm ALberto one of the two developer of The Body Changer :)
I know you bought our game on BM11 and I'm curious to know if you played our game and to know your impression/suggestions.

If you like it, can you help us on Steam Greenlight to be greenlit?
The Body Changer Greenlight link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=239912129In the Greenlight page above I'll find our new trailer and tons of new images of the game.

IN ANY CASE, thanks to have redeemed TBC key :) hope you'll give a chance to our game.

Ciao,

ALberto - TheShortAndTheTall

How can I say no when they went through the effort of sending a message. Guess i'll give the game a try now.

Turfster

Regarding this SSL // heartbleed stuff -

Apparently via steamDB twitter, the steam store has been patched but the steam community and a bunch of other stuff the client gets up to are still requiring fixes

Since community is used for logging in and authenticating with partner services like humble...

How can I say no when they went through the effort of sending a message. Guess i'll give the game a try now.

I actually got that on the weekend and put some time into the game. It is a little clunky and I don't think the game knows what it is trying to be. But it reminded me a little of the swapper, albeit in 3D and it is worth a look, even in the alpha state.

There is an impressive base and it might turn into something quite good one day.

Jawmuncher

I actually got that on the weekend and put some time into the game. It is a little clunky and I don't think the game knows what it is trying to be. But it reminded me a little of the swapper, albeit in 3D and it is worth a look, even in the alpha state.

There is an impressive base and it might turn into something quite good one day.

Interesting will definitely keep that in mind if I can get it downloaded.
Haven't even played the swapper yet so I might need to get on that first.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just got my Motte Island key for being part of the group, thanks for bringing up how to get a key here yesterday GAF, didn't know one had to be part of a group to validate it.

Unlike most though, I did in-fact vote for the game though, as horror games.

Grief.exe

2 hours until we finally get some answers on the PC version of Dark Souls II. We have been waiting almost a year without information.

Knurek

2 hours until we finally get some answers on the PC version of Dark Souls II. We have been waiting almost a year without information.

Now, if Bamco was run by competent people, they would send complimentary pre-load code to Durante.
No better way for some free publicity.

radMonkey

I was wondering if Playfire rewards would work with a family share account. My sister asked me to set up a family share account for her so that she can play Goat simulator and some other games from my account. I was thinking of directing her to also set up a playfire account and link up her family share id to gain some GMG credit and buy a game for her own. Would that be possible?

Not at the moment. We don't currently track family share activity (although it is possible). If and when we do implement it, I'm not sure if we could implement it into Playfire rewards. We'd have to evaluate the business model first. But I wouldn't rule it out.

For those wondering what we are talking about, The Body Changer (it was in an indie bundle at some stage, so you might have it on Desura) is this:

The general idea is you switch between bodies to solve puzzles. So the red body can go through red water and so on, letting you reach different switches and continue your progress.

The graphics are very impressive for an indie game, the user interface is terrible and the controls don't really fit the action.

What this all adds up to, is a game that doesn't seem to be sure of what it wants to be. Is it a third person action game or a slow paced atmospheric puzzler? There is an interesting attempt at pulling off both, but neither direction really delivers at this stage.

Ultimately what really hurts it is a lack of compelling story to drive you through the early parts. While there is something to be said for a slow reveal, it currently leaves the player wondering what exactly they are getting into and that is a problematic approach when there are a few seams to pick at.

It is still early days for it, but it has the smell of a game that could bring it all together. Just keep that Desura key just in case.

Anteater

you are already dead

RIP in Peace.

oZ7eKVr.png

Here a tip: Dont do anything now. Just surf the internet on twitter or anything that is not vulnerable and wait for informations when it got fixxed. When it got fixxed change your password. The leak was just discovered a few hours ago. But that doesnt mean that nobody used it 1 year ago.

Be happy that you know that issue now. Because you can do something about it.

Thanks, guess I'll just change my password when they patched it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom