• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

The issue with the Heartbleed bug is that it was not disclosed responsibly by one of the teams that was working on it. Normally when something like this happens, the patch is released, then people upgrade, then the vulnerability is disclosed. One of the teams working on it did disclose responsibly, and another did not.

This is the reason why it was not disclosed responsibly:
http://techrights.org/2014/04/08/howard-schmidt-codenomicon/

Pretty ugly, actually.

That is disgusting if true

The issue with the Heartbleed bug is that it was not disclosed responsibly by one of the teams that was working on it. Normally when something like this happens, the patch is released, then people upgrade, then the vulnerability is disclosed. One of the teams working on it did disclose responsibly, and another did not.

Pretty ugly, actually.
I knew that site was fishy as shit.

It was trying way to hard for the "we're trying to help you!"

Turfster

Well that does seem suspicious, but heartbleed does affect windows computers too right? Or does it just affect open source stuff independent of windows?
The problem is mostly with servers, most of which run some kind of *nix, no matter what Microsoft might want or claim ;)

_hekk05

Banned
Is there any known way to avoid Uplay for Watch Dogs?.. Has Ubi said anything about this?

You could pirate the game, although I think even pirated copies force you to install uPlay and just not connect to the internet or something.

Not even piracy can save you from uPlay. T.T
Please don't pirate the game

Shame. I really wanted to play child of light too

MUnited83

For you.
No. they want you using Uplay until it's dead. South Park was an exception because it was a THQ game originally.

No, South Park is an exception because it isn't made by their studios. Uplay is only mandatory on their own studio titles. Third party games published by them do not require Uplay( see South Park and CoJ: Gunslinger)

MUnited83

For you.
You could pirate the game, although I think even pirated copies force you to install uPlay and just not connect to the internet or something.

Not even piracy can save you from uPlay. T.T
Please don't pirate the game

Shame. I really wanted to play child of light too

I remember my brother had to pirate Conviction to be able to play it because when he tried to start the legit copy he bought on the summer sale Uplay would just crap out and never connect. No wonder they claim high piracy rates when you have to pirate/crack the game you bought legitimately to be able to play it.

Nzyme32

Is there any known way to avoid Uplay for Watch Dogs?.. Has Ubi said anything about this?

Either don't buy it or buy it on a console.

For me at least, knowing that Uplay is a requirement has made my decisions quite simple. I'll wait for a fairly long time after launch to see how it copes and how PC performance is before going for it. If the PC version is poorly optimised, I'll wait till I have a system that is over powered, which will likely be when it is on sale for the lowest possible price. Same is true if Uplay struggles to hold up.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of friends lists (well I say speaking of, more like 12 hours late to the party) I was going through mine the end of last month wondering who half these people where. So I sat through and started to sort it out using tags and ended up with a ground of actually friends and family, SteamGAFfers, folks from RPS, some peeps from various FM forums and other assorted places I stick my head in and was left with about 60+ people I have no idea what association we have.

Going through various IM’s from the past couple of month it seams the only people I have a back and forth with are 99% of the time people I actually know (maybe due to we all use Steam’s app rather than send text messages). As much as I joke about being anti-social, if I see something that catches my eye in my activity feed I’ll usually click the like button or post some poncy comment but some of these people on my friends list have had no interaction with me at all short of adding me to their friends list.

Hahaha watch me have a massive haemorrhage now after saying that.

_hekk05

Banned
Is it safe to access Steam yet?

Remain in your bunkers for now. Nowhere is safe. Do not open the door even if they claim to be family. They are lost to you now.

In the mean time, let's see how long JaseC can go before he starts suffering withdrawal symptoms.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Not entirely. Even on consoles there's lightweight Uplay integration similar to Steam in the PS3 version of Portal 2.

Remain in your bunkers for now. Nowhere is safe. Do not open the door even if they claim to be family. They are lost to you now.

In the mean time, let's see how long JaseC can go before he starts suffering withdrawal symptoms.

I'm still signed in. ;) I was playing Blood Dragon earlier.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty ugly, actually.
I don't know man, that site seems completely anti-Microsoft. The article may be true, but I still can't help feeling there's a strong bias there.

Thorgal

I'm still signed in. ;) I was playing Blood Dragon earlier.

I was busy installing Mass effect 2 after reading about it i did stop it .

Now i am sitting with a half installed game and another update for Shadow warrior ( anyone know what it's for ?).

Knurek

Oh god, Hotline Miami 2 looks to be even more like bastard son of Dreamweb + Alien Breed (the old Amiga one)
Straight into my veins.

ghMmGKq.jpg
I can't handle the pressure, I've got a family to look out for, I can't lose Steam!
I pray that GabeN has not abandoned us.

JaseC

Welp. I guess they can't actually do anything to your account if you don't have money in them or something. Aren't you afraid a hacker will steal all your pat and mats? lol

Even if my account details were compromised, they couldn't do any damage without the Steam Guard code. My little treasure trove is safe. ;)

Jawmuncher

Some more detailed impressions of Broforce…

FIfHqD7.jpg

This game basically takes the (awesome) weapon-switching mechanic of Super Crate Box and turns it into a full-fledged macho patriotic platforming shooter. You take on the role of a “bro,” that is, a parody of various masculinity-defining characters such as:
- Cordell Walker
- Mr. T
- The Terminator
- Men in Black

… and many, many more. In each level you’ll find cages that hold more of your bros, and each rescue will net you an extra life, in addition to switching your character to a random bro with his own set of offensive weapons (a primary and a secondary). Each death also randomizes your character again.

The characters tend to feel fairly different, and your battle tactics can change significantly based on who you’re controlling at the moment -- you might have a machine gun, a minigun (with a nasty recoil), or a sword. You might have nothing more than sticks of dynamite to throw, or you might be able to call in a devastating airstrike from the heavens.

Speaking of devastation, every piece of terrain is destructible. This is dangerous both for your enemies and for yourself. Collapsing a bridge with tons of bad guys on it is all well and good, but if you get too trigger-happy you can blow away the terrain you might have needed to cross a gap. There’s a dead-simple wall climbing mechanic that helps mitigate such difficulties, but sometimes you can push even the walls beyond your reach.

In any case, I don’t have any concerns about getting $15 worth of gameplay out of Broforce. The first several levels are pretty tame and serve mainly to help you discover the rapidly-unlocking variety you’ll be faced with. (In fact, I’d say the game starts off a bit slow.) But once you reach the first boss level, the heat really starts turning up and you’ll surely fail the mission a few times before finding your groove.

Being in Steam Early Access, the online mode is predictably clunky, but serviceable with some patience. I haven’t tried the other game modes yet either (at least one of them requires local multiplayer, and I don’t have any local folks to play with).

There are so many more little things I could mention about the game, but really, Broforce is much better experienced than described.

Damn this is sounding better and better

Maybe this one:

D3mqFyM.png

That hasn't been bundled yet, right?

was thinking of 3rd strike today and how no one will weep if he never returns in a SF game.

Thorgal

Welp. I guess they can't actually do anything to your account if you don't have money in them or something. Aren't you afraid a hacker will steal all your pat and mats? lol

Nah. the only thing Jasec's afraid of is if someone steals his hardrive with all of his Saoirse Ronan pictures, gifs and avatars on it .

_hekk05

Banned
Even if my account details were compromised, they couldn't do any damage without the Steam Guard code.

Ah that's true. Luckily I have mine enabled as well. Not gonna touch steam for a while though (at least until my dota itch comes back)

But.. what if they can steal your steam guard code from steam itself??

note: right-click & unmute for hilariousness

Nzyme32

Even if my account details were compromised, they couldn't do any damage without the Steam Guard code. My little treasure trove is safe. ;)

SteamDB are now saying that they can actually get at peoples passwords, but they won't go into the details. Seems a bit more dangerous than I thought

JaseC

Don't you have a web backup service set up?

I can only upload at ~38KBps so backing up everything to the web would take forever, and since I'm on ADSL uploading at just about any speed kills my download speed. I should at least copy everything over to my PC, though, come to think of it.

SteamDB are now saying that they can actually get at peoples passwords, but they won't go into the details. Seems a bit more dangerous than I thought

Even assuming that includes Steam Guard codes I haven't received any notification e-mails, so fingers crossed this remains the case. ;)

_hekk05

Banned
I can only upload at ~38KBps so backing up everything to the web would take forever, and since I'm on ADSL uploading at just about any speed kills my download speed. I should at least copy everything over to my PC, though, come to think of it.

Uploading at 38kbps only!!?? We need a charity drive so JaseC can afford better internets.

Knurek

Bah, excuses, excuses...
I've uploaded more than 4 TB of video game music with my measly 128kB, surely you can do the same. Think of the Saoirse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom