• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by that options menu? It is looking much better than the original DS1 port. The removal of GFWL alone goes along way.

BkpS2f5CEAEe-SE.png:large

Oh didnt saw that one. Looks good so far. But i wonder how much it affects the game. Dont want some effects that look shitty and drop your FPS in the 15fps area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exg_OxsaHyY

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - Dial Tone

Do i see coop(Or at least playing 2 characters at the same time)? Do i see dual wielding weapons?

GOTY!

The_Monk

2 hours until we finally get some answers on the PC version of Dark Souls II. We have been waiting almost a year without information.

I feel I've been waiting more, actually. I just hope it turns out good and I can play it with decent settings without any issues. I know it's not a demanding game comparing to others but I'm always worried. I just want to have fun, come on end of April early May!

Damn that's impressive.

I would be able to do it if i could manage Stage 4 of the Fun House Brawl, but i always get stuck between the big Russian guy and the heavily padded guys, i keep forgetting to hit the stun on them.
A good way to deal with that map is focus on the big Russian guy until you get your special combos activated and then use the batswarm, this'll stun everyone(including the heavily padded guys and the russian guy) allowing you time to then punch the russian guy again and then getting another batswarm(repeat that until the russian guy is dead)

once the russian dude is KO'd, you should have another special combo ready to go use your instant take downs on the heavily padded guys and then after taking down one of the padded guys take down a bunch of regular thugs until your special combo is ready to go and then take down the heavily padded guy again.

and then just punch everyone until you win(if your combo didn't break while fighting the russian guy, you'll have more than enough points to complete the challenge, so don't worry too much about using gadgets and special takedowns to get more points)

Best of luck!

Jawmuncher

The bard'ss tale then?

For those wondering what we are talking about, The Body Changer (it was in an indie bundle at some stage, so you might have it on Desura) is this:

The general idea is you switch between bodies to solve puzzles. So the red body can go through red water and so on, letting you reach different switches and continue your progress.

The graphics are very impressive for an indie game, the user interface is terrible and the controls don't really fit the action.

It is still early days for it, but it has the smell of a game that could bring it all together. Just keep that Desura key just in case.

Considering the size of the game that is definitely impressive graphics.

FloatOn

Speaking of Dark Souls 2.. I'm making some great progress on the ps3 version. It's going to be interesting to see how fast I can roll through it when I get it on my pc.

Every consecutive run in DkS became quicker for me.

Pachimari

I can't imagine that Enhanced Steam knows if you bought something in a bundle and what the cost of each game in said bundle would be. Especially bundles with changing prices depending on the average would be near impossible to track like that. So you've probably spent a bit less than what it says, since I've seen you posting about a bundle or two.
I have bought almost all of my games on sale, and some bundles and gotten games from GAF.

Speaking of Dark Souls 2.. I'm making some great progress on the ps3 version. It's going to be interesting to see how fast I can roll through it when I get it on my pc.

Every consecutive run in DkS became quicker for me.
the world in general is larger I feel, with fewer shortcuts, but the level layouts and the ease of defeating bosses makes me think i can get to drangleic in a few hours

aku:jiki

Bundle Stars is teasing a new bundle for later today. Last time they launched one, they did pretty much the exact same tease ("like this post if you want a new bundle blah blah"), so it sounds pretty definite.

Over the weekend, they were teasing an indie bundle so probably that. Too bad we can't buy any bundles anymore since we are all already dead.

$5 for AC3 is fine. I paid 7.50 and got my money's worth. The game is very scatterbrained in design and suffers from trying to be a jack of all trades with the amount of side stuff that barely gets any exposure and isn't impactful in any meaningful way but the actual game missions are pretty fun and it's worth a playthrough if you're even remotely interested.

It was the first AC game where I didn't even bother trying to get all the viewpoints, though, and that felt weird. They just didnt really add much to the experience.

Jawmuncher

Bundle Stars is teasing a new bundle for later today. Last time they launched one, they did pretty much the exact same tease ("like this post if you want a new bundle blah blah"), so it sounds pretty definite.

Over the weekend, they were teasing an indie bundle so probably that. Too bad we can't buy any bundles anymore since we are all already dead.

If Dark Souls taught me anything it's that being dead still has it's benefits.

is there a game, which hasn't been in a bundle, that focuses on world-exploration and sort of naturalistic environments? Something like Brothers. Surely Groupees isn't going to bundle a game with Bard in the title?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
$5 for AC3 is fine. I paid 7.50 and got my money's worth. The game is very scatterbrained in design and suffers from trying to be a jack of all trades with the amount of side stuff that barely gets any exposure and isn't impactful in any meaningful way but the actual game missions are pretty fun and it's worth a playthrough if you're even remotely interested.

It was the first AC game where I didn't even bother trying to get all the viewpoints, though, and that felt weird. They just didnt really add much to the experience.

Speaking of AssCreed 3's game design woes, I wasn't a fan of the decision to drastically scale back the viewable area tied to viewpoints -- in the Frontier especially, they reveal only 40% of the map or so. When I began Black Flag I was worried that this had carried over, but fortunately viewpoints functioned as they'd done prior to 3.

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project -- MB-AADA9DF3340533E4 - Taken by _hekk05

_hekk05

Banned
Oh boy. I come back to this thread to learn that a shitstorm is happening. Nothing is safe. Everything is compromised
lol AC reference
What am I supposed to do now?

Turfster

Oh boy. I come back to this thread to learn that a shitstorm is happening. Nothing is safe. Everything is compromised
lol AC reference
What am I supposed to do now?

School is a long time ago, but I think you're supposed to get under a wooden table in case of an emergency.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The issue with the Heartbleed bug is that it was not disclosed responsibly by one of the teams that was working on it. Normally when something like this happens, the patch is released, then people upgrade, then the vulnerability is disclosed. One of the teams working on it did disclose responsibly, and another did not.

This is the reason why it was not disclosed responsibly:
http://techrights.org/2014/04/08/howard-schmidt-codenomicon/

Pretty ugly, actually.

_hekk05

Banned
School is a long time ago, but I think you're supposed to get under a wooden table in case of an emergency.

Oh well. At least I have duke nukem to console myself (lol). Thanks DaBargainHunta, though you'll forgive me if I don't activate it until heartbleed is fixed

In the mean time... *screams incoherently*

Edit: Stump are you implying that Microsoft employee(s) irresponsibly revealed information about a vulnerability that has existed for 2 years before it was patched in a possible attempt to subvert Linux et al?

StAidan

Some more detailed impressions of Broforce…

FIfHqD7.jpg

This game basically takes the (awesome) weapon-switching mechanic of Super Crate Box and turns it into a full-fledged macho patriotic platforming shooter. You take on the role of a “bro,” that is, a parody of various masculinity-defining characters such as:
- Cordell Walker
- Mr. T
- The Terminator
- Men in Black

… and many, many more. In each level you’ll find cages that hold more of your bros, and each rescue will net you an extra life, in addition to switching your character to a random bro with his own set of offensive weapons (a primary and a secondary). Each death also randomizes your character again.

The characters tend to feel fairly different, and your battle tactics can change significantly based on who you’re controlling at the moment -- you might have a machine gun, a minigun (with a nasty recoil), or a sword. You might have nothing more than sticks of dynamite to throw, or you might be able to call in a devastating airstrike from the heavens.

Speaking of devastation, every piece of terrain is destructible. This is dangerous both for your enemies and for yourself. Collapsing a bridge with tons of bad guys on it is all well and good, but if you get too trigger-happy you can blow away the terrain you might have needed to cross a gap. There’s a dead-simple wall climbing mechanic that helps mitigate such difficulties, but sometimes you can push even the walls beyond your reach.

In any case, I don’t have any concerns about getting $15 worth of gameplay out of Broforce. The first several levels are pretty tame and serve mainly to help you discover the rapidly-unlocking variety you’ll be faced with. (In fact, I’d say the game starts off a bit slow.) But once you reach the first boss level, the heat really starts turning up and you’ll surely fail the mission a few times before finding your groove.

Being in Steam Early Access, the online mode is predictably clunky, but serviceable with some patience. I haven’t tried the other game modes yet either (at least one of them requires local multiplayer, and I don’t have any local folks to play with).

There are so many more little things I could mention about the game, but really, Broforce is much better experienced than described.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The issue with the Heartbleed bug is that it was not disclosed responsibly by one of the teams that was working on it. Normally when something like this happens, the patch is released, then people upgrade, then the vulnerability is disclosed. One of the teams working on it did disclose responsibly, and another did not.

This is the reason why it was not disclosed responsibly:
http://techrights.org/2014/04/08/howard-schmidt-codenomicon/

Pretty ugly, actually.

This is so incredibly disappointing. Seriously?

Pachimari

Ugh, I can't buy games from Amazon. =/

And that Hotline trailer may make me start my playthrough of Hotline Miami 2 today on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom