• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

The Assignment was pretty good. My plan now is to finish The Consequences and then go to Life is Strange which has stayed untouched in my library since release.

Spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deadly Premonition -- MB-23BC92BA538949F8 - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
ONE NIGHT -- MB-F90CFB8104582CF5 - Taken by cyba89. 1 entrants total.

t1429894175z1.png

madjoki

If I can run The Evil Within decently should I be cool with Wolfenstein TNO?

Yep. Same engine. Actually TNO should run even better.

yes.

evil within is more demanding

Can confirm Evil Within on my PC runs at 20-24 fps, while TNO runs at ~40-50 fps.

I wouldn't mind paying for something like Black Mesa or the KOTOR II restoration mod - a lot of work went into making those.

This. Black Mesa is actually releasing, but not on workshop, but as fully supported separate game.

Didn't really follow Wolf and TEW, did AMD handle the driver situation well this time?

We need some good news stories. Anybody reach the end of the internet or do a SL1 run of DS2 or Bloodborne?

Gonna be a bitch to read through all the Skyrim workshop thread in gaming, yesterday it seemed to be the developer with the Sonic avatar against most of the world.

And it's the same right now again.

Miguel81

picked up Mark of The Ninja Special Edition at GOG since I've never played it and have heard great things about it

I picked it up on Steam since GOG didn't have it at the time. Great stealth game, and I ended up doing 3 runs since I enjoyed it so much. A follow-up would be a Day One purchase for me.

Annubis

Ok, I've caught up on the discussion and I've made up my mind.

Valve and paid mods is a terrible idea.

There's plenty of minor reasons but the biggest one is policing.
Valve just doesn't have the staff required to police it and I can guarantee that the people making money off this will be those that steal assets or just take other people's work and submit it as their own.
You can't expect mod creators to police the 'market' forevermore to report those.
If you make a market, the duty to verify that the goods are legal falls on the one managing the store, not the consumer.

Backlogger

picked up Mark of The Ninja Special Edition at GOG since I've never played it and have heard great things about it

Its fun and I am not even normally into these types of games. I am not very good at it though. I am on the last level, was planning on finishing it last night but watched TV instead.

Valve just doesn't have the staff required to police it and I can guarantee that the people making money off this will be those that steal assets or just take other people's work and submit it as their own.
You can't expect mod creators to police the 'market' forevermore to report those.
If you make a market, the duty to verify that the goods are legal falls on the one managing the store, not the consumer.

I don't think its a terrible idea but Bethesda getting 50% cut seems unfair to me. I also think there should be no grace period on requesting a refund. The refund supposedly goes to the Steam Wallet anyway. Valve could potentially lose money if they already paid the author and publisher but it would provide some good will to the process. Assuming they don't have this they could also blacklist authors with high amounts of refund requests on paid mods. If they coupled that blacklist with some type of account requirement to post a paid mod (people would be less willing to screw you if it somehow impacted their main steam account) it might help prevent abuse.

Dr Dogg

Apparently, Evil Within is terribly optimized.

Yeah any benchmarks are going to be waaay out of date now. Sure at launch the game did have poor scaling but now after 4 or 5 patches it isn't too bad. Still got some issues in inexplicable areas but way, way better than I first tried it and that was a couple of months after launch which was apparently even worse.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Pretty much this exactly. Does Valve know that the 3D modeling software they used to create the mod was properly licensed? My guess is that Valve has a standard disclaimer like "I agree that I actually made this and I have the legal right to sell it blah blah blah", but like you said that's shifting the burden of proof to the customer. The whole thing is like Steam Greenlight would be if every game on Greenlight were instantly for sale the moment it was uploaded.

Looking at the numbers, the total amount of revenue generated by this was about $6,000 to $10,000 in the first day so I guess this is something people want.

I guess I'm going to stop talking about it though, as I really have no personal stake in it. I haven't purchased a mod and so far haven't seen a compelling reason for that to change.

Vlad

Ok, so I figured I'd see what all the fuss is about with Skyrim and check it out on the free weekend. I'm either doing something very wrong, or the game just isn't for me. Started out on the first mission, marveled at the wonky dragon animation (especially the goofy way it moved while flying), went through the caves with the guy, then when I emerged from the caves, that's when things started to go sour.

Following the guy to the village at the bottom of the hill was an exercise in tedium. It's bad enough that he kind of saunters along at a rather relaxed pace, but then he keeps stopping every five feet and turning to stare at me unnervingly for a few seconds before continuing. We finally make it down to his village, and in my boredom at the ensuing conversation, I might have accidentally taken a swing at some little boy's dog. This apparently was enough justification for the entire village to come together and murder me. Still, fair's fair, I did accidentally attack a dog with an axe, so I'll chalk that up to "my bad"...

.. but then the game starts me back up at the top of the hill, so it's time to do the whole walk/stop/stare routine again all the way down to the village. I patiently listen to the conversation, axe properly sheathed, and then the guy tells me to go to some other village and talk to another guy there. I dutifully try to follow the marker on my map, but end up getting distracted by a nearby ruined area, where some big guy with a club kills me in a single hit.

Starting back from the village, I make sure to not take any detours on the way to talking to the other guy. I make it there and make a whole lap around the castle before finally finding the gate which, in my defense, is tucked away in a rather unintuitive place. More bland dialogue passes, and the guy I just talked to and his wizard ask me to go back to the ruins near the other village and bring him some stone. Hoping this means that things are about to pick up, I leave the castle, am immediately stopped by a group of soldiers who demand 100 coins from me that I don't have, and instantly murder me when I refuse (one of them seemed to be casting some sort of ice spell, but it all happened way to fast to process). The game plops me back a the castle I just left and I quit out of frustration.

Is this just how the game is, or do things improve as it goes? I poked around some of the upgradeable skills menu, and I did like the promise of that amount of character customization, but the bland dialogue and clunky combat are kind of putting me off a bit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spare:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Super Furball -- MB-B523A4704D71A820 - Taken by Kifimbo

Its fun and I am not even normally into these types of games. I am not very good at it though. I am on the last level, was planning on finishing it last night but watched TV instead.

I don't think its a terrible idea but Bethesda getting 50% cut seems unfair to me. I also think there should be no grace period on requesting a refund. The refund supposedly goes to the Steam Wallet anyway. Valve could potentially lose money if they already paid the author and publisher but it would provide some good will to the process. Assuming they don't have this they could also blacklist authors with high amounts of refund requests on paid mods. If they coupled that blacklist with some type of account requirement to post a paid mod (people would be less willing to screw you if it somehow impacted their main steam account) it might help prevent abuse.

I picked it up on Steam since GOG didn't have it at the time. Great stealth game, and I ended up doing 3 runs since I enjoyed it so much. A follow-up would be a Day One purchase for me.

yeah...I just played the tutorial level to get a hang of the controls and I like it...plus for $4.49 it was too cheap to pass up at the moment

The amusing thing in regards to Bethesda and the Elder Scrolls is that even though they've made 5 games in that series, their one Fallout game is still the best game they've made. Skyrim is ok, I get the feeling that it had the Final Fantasy VII effect going for it, where the game itself is competently made and ok but since this is the first time a lot of folks are playing an RPG like this one they have nothing else to compare it to and, thus, it's the best thing ever and boy this game is great.

I put 15 hours into it before i kinda just wanted to play something fun. I got it again on PC a year or so ago because i feel i owe it a second chance but, man, i'm looking forward to F:NV much much more.

Jawmuncher

The amusing thing in regards to Bethesda and the Elder Scrolls is that even though they've made 5 games in that series, their one Fallout game is still the best game they've made. Skyrim is ok, I get the feeling that it had the Final Fantasy VII effect going for it, where the game itself is competently made and ok but since this is the first time a lot of folks are playing an RPG like this one they have nothing else to compare it to and, thus, it's the best thing ever and boy this game is great.

I put 15 hours into it before i kinda just wanted to play something fun. I got it again on PC a year or so ago because i feel i owe it a second chance but, man, i'm looking forward to F:NV much much more.

Why you digging on FF7. I played that game far after the fact and thought it was great still.

F:NV wasn't made by Bethesda, it was Obsidian :p

Why you digging on FF7. I played that game far after the fact and thought it was great still.

FFVII isn't even the best FF on the platform it came out on.

F:NV wasn't made by Bethesda, it was Obsidian :p

I know, but i was just getting back to the notion that the gameplay and world of Fallout, as envisioned by Bethesda, was better than the series they built their empire on, which is why i'm interested in my NV playthrough moreso than Skyrim 2: Dragons Can Be Mean At Times edition

Finished Win8.1 USB stick.

Never used that before. You folks recommend any good programs for Win8?

Or better, what are your usual suspects when making a clean install?
I am blanking a bit here. Can only think of Chrome+Firefox, Flash... uh, blank.

Grief.exe

If you have the space, I generally throw all my drivers and programs onto your OS stick as well. That way you are ready to go as soon as you boot up your fresh OS.

Chrome (google for offline installer)
Steam
Afterburner
Media Players
Teamspeak
Battle.net

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Stranded -- MB-0AC9E6D91627DC0F - Taken by NingenJanai
Restaurant Empire II -- MB-0E895AD1D80CA08E - Taken by SeZMehK
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros. -- MB-8DA5ADA770D2B9E2 - Taken by Belgarion
Seven Kingdoms 2 HD -- MB-3543A28530FD3BAD - Taken by darkchewie
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack -- MB-9510C9251551828D - Taken by Zeeman
Trauma -- MB-CEDD566C49AF1136 - Taken by TheMadMan007

Thanks Khronico & Grief for your suggestions!
Will take a look. Most of those programs I never heard of before.
Yes. CPU:
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-The_Evil_Within_-test-evilwithin_proz.jpg
Oh, I am weirdly baffled how much gains newer Intel CPU bring to the table.

18 FPS! Assumed even older i7/i5 chips give their newer brothers a run for their money. Really wasn't expecting this much difference.

7yAV3l0.png

Also, I haven't seen it posted.

IndieGala Friday Special Bundle
Tier 1: 1$
  • Stranded
  • Rush Bros
  • Restaurant Empire II
Tier 2: 2,49$ (24h only)
  • Back to Bed
  • David
  • Drew
  • Eleusis
  • Plazma Being
  • Seven Kingdoms 2 HD

Thanks Khronico & Grief for your suggestions!
Will take a look. Most of those programs I never heard of before.

Oh, I am weirdly baffled how much gains newer Intel CPU bring to the table.

18 FPS! Assumed even older i7/i5 chips give their newer brothers a run for their money. Really wasn't expecting this much difference.

7yAV3l0.png

Also, I haven't seen it posted.

IndieGala Friday Special Bundle
Tier 1: 1$
  • Stranded
  • Rush Bros
  • Restaurant Empire II
Tier 2: 2,49$ (24h only)
  • Back to Bed
  • David
  • Drew
  • Eleusis
  • Plazma Being
  • Seven Kingdoms 2 HD

A few pages back

Acrobat, Steam, VLC, Lastpass, Silverlight, Dropbox, IrfanView + plugins, OpenOffice/MSOffice, Comodo Firewall, Avira Free/Kaspersky, WinRAR, Your whole Steam library - YES every game, every one of them!
(But do not play them !)
CCleaner
Smart Defrag
Do NOT defrag a SSD disk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom