• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope TW3 turns out well... The problem is I played Dragon Age and ... it kind of killed my interest in anything claiming to have a huge world with hundreds of hours of play.

And I know "CD Projekt RED know what they are doing! BELIEVE!!!" as I'm often told. But I thought TW1 wsa pretty ordinary and TW2 was crap after Act 1... so yeah, as far as I'm concerned Double Fine have more of an idea about how to release a good game.

That's an interesting opinion. The standard response is that you have to slog through Act 1 to get to the glory of Act 2.

Was there something about Act 2 that stuck out as shitty for you? Or was it a sense of "more of the same" that did it? Who did you side with?

Chapter 2 did seem to drag on for me. Sided with
Roche
. I was fairly completionist about the side quests and it was a little too much back and forth. Chapter 3, the game really hit its best stride with the politics rearing its ugly head, giving a sense of danger being about... but then it just ended.

For all of that, though, I loved the game. The setting worked wonders for me. I'm just curious about your experience, since it seems pretty out of the ordinary from most of the more common complaints.

EDIT:
I knew I liked your for some reason

I'm not sure if this was intentional, but that backhanded compliment is expert level.

Parsnip

something that does bother me is the notion that I'm rewarding a developer/publisher for their incompetence. Here an example:

see, that's some simple stuff that should've been in the game when it came out on PC. now, what's to stop a company like bethesda from doing a better job at making their game more PC friendly when they can instead leave them as is, wait for a modder to come around and fix it (possibly charging for their effort and i don't fault them for doing so), and then Bethesda is getting paid for not doing a good job? In that case, you're not only rewarding them for their incompetence but you're actually enabling them to make less of an effort when putting games out on PC.

Yup, that would be bad.
Similarly if unofficial patches start costing money, then it's time to revolt.
Right now, it's just a lot of people jumping in the hate train.

Basically, the choices that you made in DA1/2 are customisable on a dedicated website. The default world state (a series of choices made in past games) mostly assumes the path of least resistance. So if a character can be dead or alive, in DAI's "default" state, they'll be dead, so if that sort of continuity and cameos is important to you, you'll probably want to spend a bit of time customising your choices before playing. Some of it is minor fluff, but it's worth doing if you liked/were interested in any of the characters or choices in previous games because some things do play out differently. The default choices they laid out a kind of crappy imo.

Succinctly put -you can get different dialogue and maybe some completely different scenes at certain points by customising the world state beforehand.

I think it's worth spending some time in. If anything, to refresh your memory of things that happened in the first 2 games. Some of the choices are pretty detailed, but yeah....the default ones are pretty meh.

I'm not sure if this was intentional, but that backhanded compliment is expert level.

hattip.gif

MUnited83

For you.
RJRmhQn.jpg

Posting random tweets has a funny side to it.

Especially when it's proved as false information.

Maniac

Banned
Yup, that would be bad.
Similarly if unofficial patches start costing money, then it's time to revolt.
Right now, it's just a lot of people jumping in the hate train.

I'm really not jumping on shit personally, I'm just pissed because there are already mods that I use that've up & vanished, and only have a paid version now.

And broken mods whose fixed versions are paid... Etc.

It's all a bit shady and cuntish. I'm all for rewarding modders, but not by coercing users into paying and both modders and consumers being exploited by Bethesda and Valve isn't really my kind of thing.
I think it's worth spending some time in. If anything, to refresh your memory of things that happened in the first 2 games. Some of the choices are pretty detailed, but yeah....the default ones are pretty meh.

hattip.gif

I can't for the life of me imagine why they didn't have the default state set to have as many cameos and tie-ins to past games as possible, instead of the exact opposite.

It... Really makes very little sense, imo.

Grief.exe

see, that's some simple stuff that should've been in the game when it came out on PC. now, what's to stop a company like bethesda from doing a better job at making their game more PC friendly when they can instead leave them as is, wait for a modder to come around and fix it (possibly charging for their effort and i don't fault them for doing so), and then Bethesda is getting paid for not doing a good job? In that case, you're not only rewarding them for their incompetence but you're actually enabling and incentivizing them to make less of an effort when putting games out on PC.

Isn't that exactly what happens now?

I fucked up.

Sorry Todd.

I'm really not jumping on shit personally, I'm just pissed because there are already mods that I use that've up & vanished, and only have a paid version now.

It's all a bit shady and cuntish. I'm all for rewarding modders, but not by coercing users into paying and both modders and consumers being exploited by Bethesda and Valve isn't really my kind of thing.

yep, i think a pay what you want model works much better in this case, but unfortunately i dont see valve doing that

baterism

First mod, then Blender, when will you satisfied Valve?

jk: it's still free. It's a pretty great piece of software.

I'm not sure why anyone would want it on Steam, though. I heard software on Steam have problem in running multiple windows in one time.
Just get it here: http://www.blender.org/
it's open source! it's free! it's created from tears and sweats of hundreds if not thousands of people, but it somehow still free. hundreds if not thousands losers who believe that money isn't everything...
it's the bitterness among the community that I afraid.

HoosTrax

I guess I'm one of the few people who prefer a "vanilla" experience sans-mods because I like games to have a consistent look and feel throughout. As in everything being consistent with the design vision of the original designers. It's also for that reason that I was put off by the idea of the new "enhanced" editions of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, with their new content.

But anyways, I think the paid mod thing is a tradeoff for the artists and that they're being short-sighted -- if your goal is to possibly turn a hobby into a paying career, then you're better off reaching as large of an audience as possible with free mods and using that to get the attention of game studios. I don't see any paid mod achieving viral attention.

I'm not sure why anyone would want it on Steam, though.
I'm one of the laziest people ever when it comes to keeping my software up to date. Things like drivers (I just checked, and I'm still using GeForce drivers from last July...) and development software and utilities in particular -- especially when I have to manually download and install updates.

dex3108

GTA Online is fun, when Host is good. I thought that GTA Online is nothing special and now i spent more time in Online mode then in SP XD

Messiah

I am really tempted to get necro dancer but I only have 30 USD to last me a year.

Well here's your chance.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Messiah:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Messiah, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crypt of the Necrodancer -- MB-E59564ACE8BF4A0B - Taken by tioslash. 87 entrants total.

t1429974156z1.png

Seems like a slippery slope argument to me.

to a degree, it might be. I also acknowledged earlier that there could be some good that comes out of this. For every crappy Bethesda fix that could benefit their pockets, you have the folks behind Day Z running to make some money from their mod before it's cloned a hundred times over without them seeing a dime.

I'm just failing to see how this is a good thing more than it is a bad thing, though. And given that this industry has been pushing more and more exploitative practices onto its consumers over the last few years, it's hard to look at this move and not be incredibly skeptical of what the end game is.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm one of the few people who prefer a "vanilla" experience sans-mods because I like games to have a consistent look and feel throughout. As in everything being consistent with the design vision of the original designers. It's also for that reason that I was put off by the idea of the new "enhanced" editions of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, with their new content.

But anyways, I think the paid mod thing is a tradeoff for the artists and that they're being short-sighted -- if your goal is to possibly turn a hobby into a paying career, then you're better off reaching as large of an audience as possible with free mods and using that to get the attention of game studios. I don't see any paid mod achieving viral attention.
Yep, as long as the original UI is usable, I'll go with a vanilla look and feel too. For example, I never modded Deus Ex, and it was still awesome. Just like you said, modding it to replace textures or enhance shadows or that kind of stuff makes me feel like I'm not playing the game the way devs intended, and it's not how it originally was.

Found these keys hanging around

ModBot said:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BronzeWolf, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

vRvbDCu.png
Command And Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-665C7786D9A2E736 - Taken by gurm3n
vRvbDCu.png
Populous (Origin) -- MB-543D8186BDA68251 - Taken by bluechox2

Lomax

Everything you're complaining about there is the mod creator's fault. They chose to take down the free versions, or chose to charge for less buggy ones. Clearly those creators think they should be paid for their work and are now taking advantage of this system to do so. No one forced them to. You can say you're "all for rewarding modders" but that doesn't mean rewarding them based on what you think is appropriate, that means based on what they think is appropriate.

Now, like all things Steam, Valve clearly didn't think the implementation process of this through very well. They should have known that the default for things on the internet is exploitation and complaining. So that's what they are getting. But we've all been spoiled rotten for years by modders like Durante who have made tremendous work available for free. This system isn't going to make that go away. Maybe it will mean some of the grandiose mods that never seem to actually get finished will see the light of day now that those developers see some potential profit to be made. It's hard to say. But the amount of hyperbole about this whole thing is bordering on obscene.

chronomac

Is there a way to giveaway something in my Steam inventory through modbot? I've always just given away codes so I wouldn't know.

I think you can go to "Send gift," email it to yourself, copy the link in said email, and then strip the end of the URL off (where it uses your own email). That URL should be usable.

Stump can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

cleaning out my closet

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 8 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Freedom = $1.05, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Humble Frozenbyte Bundle (Desura) -- MB-08C70EDB015085F0 - Taken by Jason Frost
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-1BD270BD0AEFD464 - Taken by Se7enSword. 4 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Indie Bundle #3 (Desura) -- MB-714FDFC605E45CA6 - Taken by WinterDemons
vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-7210C732626B944A - Taken by Majukun. 2 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-31163CFAF7F9A231 - Taken by nja
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-733B04D4C2172E8C
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-7FD58304E5FE6CC0 - Taken by BigAT. 4 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-4138060918A75F2A - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Indie Bundle #2 (Desura) -- MB-F9795536B8E66BA3 - Taken by SSPssp
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Frozen Synapse Bundle (Desura) -- MB-AC58446865101E1B

t1429890575z1.png

chronomac

The newest beta update updated CEF to 41. That should mean all kinds of improvements across the browser.

They also added free mods back.

And they added these to Big Picture mode (if anyone's using that):
Added the ability to filter your friends list
Added a disk management page to settings that lets you view and delete installed games​

Because I feel bad that I yelled at people today, have some eeeh free games

ModBot said:
Instructions for PetriP-TNT:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Bejeweled 3 -- MB-341D652A28AFD3F4 - Taken by Akuosa
140 -- MB-D309E4096EA1B7A1 - Taken by lindarasta
Hexcells Infinite -- MB-08894F3F55E00309 - Taken by didamangi
Outlast -- MB-EFAE627B8B767A31 - Taken by Freedom = $1.05
Dead Space 2 -- MB-DAA7A334151EF7DB - Taken by BronzeWolf
Pixel Piracy -- MB-59F75BFC4D91868B - Taken by GaussTek

Teggy

I wouldn't mind paying for something like Black Mesa or the KOTOR II restoration mod - a lot of work went into making those. They are certainly not on the same level as a sword skin. I don't know how you would go about distinguishing between one and the other in Workshop, though, unless some things were allowed to be listed as games, not mods. You'd need a review process that would involve some arbitrary decisions and I doubt that's a rabbit hole Valve wants to go down.

Dsyndrome

We need some good news stories. Anybody reach the end of the internet or do a SL1 run of DS2 or Bloodborne?

Gonna be a bitch to read through all the Skyrim workshop thread in gaming, yesterday it seemed to be the developer with the Sonic avatar against most of the world.

cyba89

here is some stuff:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (cyba89, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-68D4C109895A7CDA - Taken by Sch1sm. 5 entrants total.
To The Moon -- MB-4FB3F3B39ABECB8C
Bastion -- MB-167726BED440739B - Taken by RedFyn. 1 entrants total.
Dear Esther -- MB-F3D4629F7E20E153 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
Gone Home -- MB-119C400053A9556D - Taken by Majukun. 8 entrants total.
Cities in Motion 2 -- MB-931AEB48AD4883E4 - Taken by chronomac. 5 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-8F96BBA626B44594 - Taken by Naked Snake. 1 entrants total.
The Basement Collection -- MB-229D599B073F5BDE - Taken by SSPssp. 3 entrants total.
Superbrothers: Sword&Sworcery -- MB-22DB0E5EDC65A9D4 - Taken by Madn. 7 entrants total.
Dead Space 2 (Steam) -- MB-7A617E614BFB0F62 - Taken by Visualante2. 3 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-86C1B877AEBEB7F9 - Taken by ExoSoul. 3 entrants total.
Limbo -- MB-293BB61CE4283C7C - Taken by Se7enSword. 1 entrants total.

t1429903175z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom