• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish NeoGAF was more rational. See how this plays out before descending the slippery slope all the way to oblivion.

it's just a lot easier to imagine the bad things that would come out of this as opposed to the good things that would come out of this for the consumer.

Maybe it'll lead to better mods now that there's more to gain from making them.

Or maybe it'll lead to developers and publishers washing their hands of the issues their games have, like what happened recently with the DmC rerelease where the devs literally told PC gamers that they're not bothering with doing a patch for the game because most of the new gameplay changes are out there as mods already.

I'm on the more cynical tip in regards to this. I just don't see how this benefits the consumer in the long run.

Does this mean GTA V is getting 6+GB patch?

https://steamdb.info/app/271590/history/

I hope not. :(
I can't afford to download 6gb files this weekend. I want to play the game instead.

it's just a lot easier to imagine the bad things that would come out of this as opposed to the good things that would come out of this for the consumer.

Maybe it'll lead to better mods now that there's more to gain from making them.

Or maybe it'll lead to developers and publishers washing their hands of the issues their games have, like what happened recently with the DmC rerelease where the devs literally told PC gamers that they're not bothering with doing a patch for the game because most of the new gameplay changes are out there as mods already.

I'm on the more cynical tip in regards to this. I just don't see how this benefits the consumer in the long run.

I can think of a good thing out of this fiasco.
With Valve's stance on paid mods, perhaps other devs can see it as another money maker and decide to finally support modding for all of their future games.

It feels like everyone wants to be offended or in a rage over something. It's tiring.

It's the mob mentality that kills rationality, even on the internet.

"That woman says her baby got autism from vaccinations? FUCK I NEVER LIKED VACCINATIONS I AM GOING TO TELL THIS TO EVERYBODY"

really, though, the funny thing is that of all publishers/developers to do this, it's bethesda, a developer known to release buggy and not-so-great PC versions of their games that are famous fixed by modders.

I had a Fallout:NV run planned for this year since i've been holding off on it for long enough and i know of at least a couple of gameplay mods i wanted to use (like the one that shows more items on your screen for example) that i fear i'll have to make an extra effort to hunt down when i finally get around to playing the game.

"That woman says her baby got autism from vaccinations? FUCK I NEVER LIKED VACCINATIONS I AM GOING TO TELL THIS TO EVERYBODY"

I can't speak for how others are going about this but there's nothing wrong with having a healthy dose of cynicism regarding this move. Every time the industry is given an inch, they eventually take a mile. Just look how far DLC has come from the days of Horse Armor to stuff like MKX and Evolve, where games are practically developed around the idea of grabbing as much of that potential DLC money as possible.

I'm not saying this is going to go to shit, but i'm also not going to sit here and pretend that everything is going to be just fine either.

Corpekata

Banned

Dunno if you wanna argue for rationality while jumping straight to anti-vaxxer analogies.

chronomac

I don't know if anyone's posted this but uPlay, of all places, has the Shadow of Mordor season pass for $6.25. That's an all-time low and half off Steam's sale price.

It's so low I might re-install the base game. I was really turned off by it after playing the disappointing final boss.

See, Microsoft is serious about gaming again. "LoL*"

(*note: thats a sarcastic hipster laugh out loud)

Or 'gameplay' that doesn't become increasingly more shallow with each new game they release.

I wouldn't hold your breath, but they might figure out how to ditch any semblance of gameplay entirely ;)

I fully expect it will be a choose your own path quicktime video. You will get to chose between A, B, or C but the same video roles because choices don't actually matter.

So people can charge for mods now and Valve gets a cut? Seems fair enough.

What is the next big game after GTA5? Keeping in mind I don't care about TW3.

I hardly ever use mods so its a non issue for me.

Next big game? For me its Lego Jurassic Park.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
FROM Physics™

1B647C3EF50E3D5267B0A016AE3E7CFEC2BF9289

Jawmuncher

See, Microsoft is serious about gaming again. "LoL*"

(*note: thats a sarcastic hipster laugh out loud)

I fully expect it will be a choose your own path quicktime video. You will get to chose between A, B, or C but the same video roles because choices don't actually matter.

I hardly ever use mods so its a non issue for me.

Next big game? For me its Lego Jurassic Park.

Hell Yeah Day 1.
screenshot_level_2_e_large.jpg

Grief.exe

I hope TW3 turns out well... The problem is I played Dragon Age and ... it kind of killed my interest in anything claiming to have a huge world with hundreds of hours of play.

And I know "CD Projekt RED know what they are doing! BELIEVE!!!" as I'm often told. But I thought TW1 wsa pretty ordinary and TW2 was crap after Act 1... so yeah, as far as I'm concerned Double Fine have more of an idea about how to release a good game.

But we'll see. Maybe I'll be a believer soon.

Axiom Verge is a neat game. People should buy that when it drops.

Todd! Why did you play Dragon Age? You should have listened!

as someone who liked DA1 even though i thought it had it's filler bits (fuck the fade) and wasn't terribly engaged in its lore and skipped DA2 because it looked like garbage, what are the main issues with DA:I? I was kinda looking forward to picking it up sometime later in the year, when it's Titanfall-cheap?

Also, i know this aint a PC game but my god, anyone who likes JRPGs needs to play Xenoblade Chronicles ASAP. Just started it on the n3DSXL and it's fantastic, it really feels like what 13 year old me imagined that future Final Fantasy games would be like when i was playing FFVI back in the day. It's got great characters, it has towns and an overworld, and the only negative i can lob at it is that I can only squeeze like +2 hours out of it before my 3ds starts dying.

Grief.exe

DA: I is a good game.

Dragon Age Inquisition reminds me of Skyrim in many respects, and it's obvious Bioware lifted much of their design philosophies directly from that game.
Both releases have a massive open-world, plenty of bars to fill, and exceedingly simple in order to pull in the mainstream. Of course, every other aspect of the design is mediocre as a result. From the boring quest design, to the terrible combat, to the RPG mechanics, both games don't exactly shine in these regards.

I can see why people enjoy these games, but I wouldn't say they are well-designed, mainly capitalize on a certain demographic.

This is also why I was worried when CDPR initially cited Skyrim and DAI as influences for TW3. After the Gamespot videos that came out last week, they seem to have been using them more for how not to design open-world games.

Also, i know this aint a PC game but my god, anyone who likes JRPGs needs to play Xenoblade Chronicles ASAP. Just started it on the n3DSXL and it's fantastic, it really feels like what 13 year old me imagined that future Final Fantasy games would be like when i was playing FFVI back in the day. It's got great characters, it has towns and an overworld, and the only negative i can lobby at it is that I can only squeeze like +2 hours out of it before my 3ds starts dying.

I will be picking it up in June as I need something to tide me over for a long plans flight.
I could never justify the high barrier to entry for emulating the Wii version, and I know this is one of the greatest JRPGs ever created.

Dragon Age Inquisition reminds me of Skyrim in many respects, and it's obvious Bioware lifted much of their design philosophies directly from that game.
Both releases have a massive open-world, plenty of bars to fill, and exceedingly simple in order to pull in the mainstream. Of course, every other aspect of the design is mediocre as a result. From the boring quest design, to the terrible combat, to the RPG mechanics, both games don't exactly shine in these regards.

I can see why people enjoy these games, but I wouldn't say they are well-designed, just capitalize on a certain demographic.

Skyrim has more dragons, and is thus the better game.

Someone should give the HuniePop developers the Leisure Suit Larry license. Throw in hooks for Steam workshop to develop new dates. License to print lewd amounts of money.

Terra_Ex

as someone who liked DA1 even though i thought it had it's filler bits (fuck the fade) and wasn't terribly engaged in its lore and skipped DA2 because it looked like garbage, what are the main issues with DA:I? I was kinda looking forward to picking it up sometime later in the year, when it's Titanfall-cheap?

Also, i know this aint a PC game but my god, anyone who likes JRPGs needs to play Xenoblade Chronicles ASAP. Just started it on the n3DSXL and it's fantastic, it really feels like what 13 year old me imagined that future Final Fantasy games would be like when i was playing FFVI back in the day.
They made it an open-world esque environment and filled it with... busy work because they couldn't think of anything else to put in there after deducing that they needed to ape Skyrim because... reasons. There is some good material in there - most of the stuff on the critical path and some of the Origins callbacks are great if you enjoyed the original game (you need to adjust the worldstate on their keep website as the default state pretty much dead-ends a bunch of plot threads) but they forgot that less is more and the quality content is drowned in meaningless filler quests. The main quests are also gated, meaning you'll need to suffer through a certain percentage of filler in order to unlock the next main story quest.

Also, it's even more blatantly pandering to the console crowd, keyboard and mouse controls are poor, tactical camera is literally designed around using an analog stick (but this time you'll be using WASD) and the concept of "tactics" is all but gone. It's a good game, but nothing more, had they built on what was in Origins, it could have been great.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I went back to Borderlands 1 after a year or two without touching it, and it's still really funny. Even if I'm playing it solo, though it's better with a friend. No idea why I stopped playing it in the past.

Finished all of the missions (and challenges for those missions) in the Not A Hero demo and I'll probably be picking this up when it releases...really enjoyed it

They made it an open-world esque environment and filled it with... busy work because they couldn't think of anything else to put in there after deducing that they needed to ape Skyrim because... reasons. There is some good material in there - most of the stuff on the critical path and some of the Origins callbacks are great if you enjoyed the original game (you need to adjust the worldstate on their keep website as the default state pretty much dead-ends a bunch of plot threads) but they forgot that less is more and the quality content is drowned in meaningless filler quests. The main quests are also gated, meaning you'll need to suffer through a certain percentage of filler in order to unlock the next main story quest.

Also, it's even more blatantly pandering to the console crowd, keyboard and mouse controls are poor, tactical camera is literally designed around using an analog stick (but this time you'll be using WASD) and the concept of "tactics" is all but gone. It's a good game, but nothing more, had they built on what was in Origins, it could have been great.
slow down, cowboy, and please explain what the heck this means?

Maniac

Banned
Of course you are. There's tons of things I would fix in Steam myself. But we weren't talking about the Steam as a client, we were talking about why Steam could have 25% pot of the pie by "doing nothing". Which Valve / Steam isn't clearly doing, no matter how much you hated the client itself.

Claiming 25% for your utterly incompetent work is still pretty fucking incredible, though.

The same goes for some of the modders, too.

edit: in regards to your earlier point that modders can't delete paid stuff from the Workshop, and the refund period... Mod creators can easily update the mod and simply empty it out, which has already been done with one mod that was removed. So if someone bought it, and isn't around for the next day... They're shit out of luck, especially knowing Valve.

It's a shit system, pure and simple. The implementation of all of this is as half-arsed, lacklustre and as painfully incompetent as most of the "added value features!1111!!" Valve makes for Steam.

Parsnip

Are we still outraged about the mods?
Okay, just checking.

Personally I think the revenue split is bunk, but that's on Bethesda.
Open market will determine the rest.

Well, they did just start a new business directly aimed at getting money from customers through Steam for Mods. Makes sense to disable donations for paid Mods in that sense.

I mean, would be weird to see a link on a game's storepage on PSN/XBL for donations outside of Sony's/MS's control, no?

Of course it is an entirely different situation for free Mods.

That said, I am sad this is happening. Mods existed for eons. They were free. People worked their asses off for years for free. That was always greatly appreciated.

Modders did what they thought was cool. Now that money is involved many will do what's likely to sell, not what is cool.

Not a fan but I think many are pretty exaggerating on the webs. It's nothing special for this case though. People like to "riot" over many things.
On one hand I think it is wise to stay calm and wait. Maybe things will turn out better for us customers.
On the other hand do I find it naive to put trust into companies who regularly screw us over. Furthermore are chances higher for shitty practices to be prevented with early backlash ala Xone-DRM.

It's very easy to get angry. Nowadays there are so many DLC which are cosmetic and still expensive. The exact same content was freely available in the past via cheat-codes or just playing the game well. To be fair it was not technically not possible and if it was I am 100% sure pubs would have done paid DLC etc. in the 90s as well.

Yeah, I am sure pubs are liking this. Free money after all. No expenses. No insurance to be paid, no lawful work conditions to be adhered to and best of all no customer support to make available. A business man's wet dream :)

Hey, this could be good news for consoles maybe? Pubs could take successful (and doable) mods from PC and bring them as a new kind of DLC to consoles! Till now console gamers never could enjoy these things.

Tricky situation. I think both sides are not totally wrong. And to be honest I am glad that there are both sides. Those trying to stay cool and those riling.

Funny twist of fate that exactly the paid Mod which this new system was advertised with got yanked, haha. Gave me good chuckle.
That is shit. Digital distribution solves exactly this problem.
Asinine.
Hold on hold on hold on. Hold the presses. Forget about Mod-Gate.

Windows 8 doesn't have Solitaire???

Holy Smokes! I was about to install Win8 today!

Now I see why so many dislike that OS.

;)

Terra_Ex

slow down, cowboy, and please explain what the heck this means?
Basically, the choices that you made in DA1/2 are customisable on a dedicated website. The default world state (a series of choices made in past games) mostly assumes the path of least resistance. So if a character can be dead or alive, in DAI's "default" state, they'll be dead, so if that sort of continuity and cameos is important to you, you'll probably want to spend a bit of time customising your choices before playing. Some of it is minor fluff, but it's worth doing if you liked/were interested in any of the characters or choices in previous games because some things do play out differently. The default choices they laid out a kind of crappy imo.

Succinctly put -you can get different dialogue and maybe some completely different scenes at certain points by customising the world state beforehand.

Maniac

Banned
Okay, just checking.

I'm against it since they're removing all donation links.

Fucking Valve, man... >_>

I'd be all for it if the implementation wasn't so outright incompetent and abhorrent, and if they weren't actively hurting modders that don't want to put up a paywall.

edit: They're not? Well that's lovely. Guess I'm not as against it. But fuck this shit implementation though.

Okay, just checking.

something that does bother me is the notion that I'm rewarding a developer/publisher for their incompetence. Here an example:

MTUI

43-4-1225578325.jpg

Nothing but fixes for higher-resolution, I much prefer this to Darnified.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43

see, that's some simple stuff that should've been in the game when it came out on PC. now, what's to stop a company like bethesda from doing a better job at making their game more PC friendly when they can instead leave them as is, wait for a modder to come around and fix it (possibly charging for their effort and i don't fault them for doing so), and then Bethesda is getting paid for not doing a good job? In that case, you're not only rewarding them for their incompetence but you're actually enabling and incentivizing them to make less of an effort when putting games out on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom