• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixclaws

Banned
Is anyone in this thread a player of Guns of Icarus Online?

The developers did a kickstarter for the game, which has clearly been released. Then, the developers did a second kickstarter for "Adventure Mode". It is way too much effort for me to figure out what adventure mode actually is. The developers have weekly updates on their website, mostly about co-op mode. Is co-op mode adventure mode? I can't tell if the developers have delivered adventure mode or not? Can someone fill me in on their progress? Either they're people who took a lot of money and ran, or they're responsible developers, but it depends on what it is they actually promised and what they're delivering.

From what I understand Co-op mode is a small part of Adventure Mode and was the only part that actually got kickstarted, they have a small section at the very bottom of their campaign about risks and challenges where they state that if they get at least their goal of $100,000 they can do the Co-op mode. The other features of Adventure Mode being stretch goals, that did not get reached.

I haven't played the game in about 3 months but at the time I didn't notice a PvE option and I just quickly booted up the game and still don't see the option, though they make it sound like it's DLC that you have to purchase which you can do on their online store using Paypal and those extra funds will go towards Co-op mode and the stretch goals that did not get reached.

Edit: Looked some more and in their section of the campaign about the AI Director, which is the Co-op mode, they mention that the pledge goal initially only covers the Co-op mode and stretch goals are for the rest of the features of Adventure Mode. Basically at first glance they made the Kickstarter sound like it was going to cover all parts of Adventure Mode by itself with the initial pledge goal, when it would only do a small part of it if the stretch goals were not reached.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-A9F16D715EC6640A - Taken by PurpleMoustache

_hekk05

Banned
Hmmm winter sale 2013 for me. I just wanted to enjoy those price mistakes.

I suppose my avatar isn't helping much?

Why all the hate at anime anyway. The reaction gifs are better.

C4rter

actually i feel the opposite way

comparing graphics of games of two different generations of consoles is moot, so that part i'll ignore. i'll just say for the time rth30 and eib were released they actually looked really good and i still think they have a really good mood to them, probably my favorite in any ww2 game. something about the dead quiet, open fields, recreated from real ww2 battles just feel realistic in a way that the bombastic urban wars of call of duty never really matched for me. lots of small details like switching weapons actually having a lengthy animation and the blur when aiming down the sights were actually really impressive at the time. i also felt like the violence looked really raw, like it wasn't exaggerated like in hell's highway but it also wasn't downplayed and someone getting hit by a tank would end up being a bloody mess of a person, but not to the point it's gibs everywhere. it was a genuinely moody game.

second, the complaint about controls is weird. it's not call of duty, the point was never for you to be able to line up shots perfectly and whatnot. i remember trying to beat the game just using commands (except that one section, obviously), which actually work super well and are very streamlined and simple but really enjoyable too. every fight is like a small puzzle and it's all in how you arrange your people for suppressing fire, flanking, etc. there's no need for you to shoot people yourself, and if you do it's inaccurate to simulate the tension of a real life battle. yeah it's a bit too inaccurate but then you have hell's highway which can be easily be played like a regular third person shooter what with the regenerating health and the cover mechanics and whatnot. the first games were scary, one or two shots and you're dead and tanks and turrets would fuck up your team really bad if you were dumb. and having someone die or taking a shot had persistent consequences which gave decisions a gravity that hell's highway insta-respawning squad members and regenerating health didn't. and since you're a lot more independent because your accuracy is so much better then it's not such a big deal to have one or two guys die on you.

and tbh i didn't really like the more "cinematic" approach to hell's highway's storytelling either. it has a lot of cutscene drama which is pretty decent, even if it's aged really poorly, but it lacks the subtlety and the sense of dread and despair of the first two games. whereas rth30 actually feels like your squad's being taken out one by one and like things couldn't get any worse and that the best thing that happens is actually not having everyone die on you, hell's highway, which is supposed to be a story about a big american defeat, actually feels like a victory, in no small part thanks to the more action-y nature of the gameplay, but also how colorful everything is and how empowered having access to bazookas and good aiming and regenerating health and tanks driving missions makes you feel. the story in the first games often happened off screen, with missions started around the body of one of your comrades that got killed by an unseen sniper bullet, and delivered so well by baker and red's monologues at the start of each level. characters would get a lot of "gameplay characterization" because of how effective they were in combat, rather than getting dedicated cutscenes and you'd bond with them that way. i remember back when i was playing rth30 for the first time being the biggest fan of red because of just how effective that machinegun he had was and how he always seemed to pull through for me, and then when he got a few lines of dialogue that just helped cement him as a likable character, but it was all built on how awesome he was during gameplay. the potential the first two games had for that was really high, while being so powerful and independent on hell's highway meant you didn't get to experience that sort of thing, at least not nearly as often

i don't think hell's highway's bad or anything, i actually like how it wraps up baker's whole pstd thing or whatever, but it's imo the least interesting game in the series, really hamstrung for its early gen release being so tied to the whole gears of war craze and whatnot.

it's one of my favorite shooter series, and i really like its cast and how serious gearbox was about being faithful to historical events and characters, so i'd love a new game, but i think they should go back to the more minimalistic, intimate style that made that series unique, and leave the explosions and the gore for call of duty

sorry for the rambly post, i really like that series!

You don't have to be sorry about the post. I am happy that somebody responds to my posting and I'm happy that there are more "Brothers in Arms" fans out there.

You are right that comparing two generations of graphics isn't fair, but it's just that the first two entries in the series just look sometimes sort of "damaged". Some effects, for example the grass, just didn't work for me. And I always felt that the character models seemed too small, almost like they all were Hobbits. Even the tanks seemed smaller, perfect for the small character models, but just a little too small to be believable.

Hells Highway looked more like what I was excepting. It lacks the dirty, washed out "WW2 look" (that I also like) and looks more like the Technicolor version of the first two "Brothers in Arms" games. In a way it looks more real than the first two games, which look more like war movies, at least with the colors and all.

The things you describe about "one or two shots and you are dead" and "and tanks and turrets would fuck up your team really bad if you were dumb" were things that I liked about the game as well. As long as it was comprehensible.

When I needed to play a part of mission 10 times because the AI thought about not going behind the cover or walking in front of the enemy to the next cover instead of walking behind, I didn't like it so much.
Of course it did not happen 10 times in a row, it was more like "I fucked up", tried again, "I fucked up again", tried again, and now the AI made a mistake.

The parts were I knew it was my own fault because I missed an enemy here or an anti tank weapon there, these were good. I could improve myself and learn from it. But the controls and the AI weren't flawless enough, and I was angry at the game (mostly "Earned in Blood") when things happened because of it.

I think because of the smaller environments, it wasn't that much of an issue in "Road to Hill 30". But in a few of the later missions in "Earned in Blood" it was just annoying.
Also that they used far more enemy tanks, which just meant that I had to run back and forth from the Panzerfaust crate to the tank was a design flaw that annoyed me because after I destroyed the tank I died a few moments later and had to do it all over again.

I also get that the shooting wasn't meant to be like "I am Rambo and kill all the Germans" but when I suddenly stay in front of three enemies that did not see me coming, I just expect that I can use the momentum as my advantage, but most times it was more of a disadvantage. But like before, that annoyed me more in "Earned in Blood". I turned on the crosshair in "Earned in Blood" after half of the missions because I was shooting all over the place and felt that I needed to "add realism" because I can't believe a solider would shoot THAT bad.
I never felt the need to to that in "Road to Hill 30".

The reason I shot people myself was, because I started not trusting the AI early in the game. I tried to let them do the job, but sometimes it just ended up in a disaster instead of what was planned. Sometimes it was my fault. sometimes it was the AI that fucked up, but I just wanted to do it myself then. When my guys can hit the enemy, why can't I? Maybe it was a design decision to make aiming that bad, to force the player to use his guys instead of doing it himself.

I guess with more checkpoints, I would have liked "Earned in Blood" more, but the bigger maps had the same amount of checkpoints which just did not add up and let to larger parts of the mission being repeated over and over again when I died.

You are right that the shooting mechanics in "Hells Highway" are way too accurate. What the first two games were lacking in accuracy that has "Hells Highway" too much of. If feels better because I finally can hit something if I aim right, but I definitely am hitting too good now. I noticed that early on myself, because I could just kill the machine gunner from afar, something that was impossible in the first two games. Machine guns were the dangerous man eating things that they were in real life.
Also, I'm definitely missing this: "switching weapons actually having a lengthy animation". That added much to the realism.

To end this posting, I would say I really liked "Road to Hill 30" with all it's flaws in controls, AI and so on because all the positive points that you list I can agree on.
But I liked "Earned in Blood" less and it made me realize that something was missing from the game (or the series) to make it more enjoyable and better playable.
I think "Hells Highway" may have overdid it now in some ways and the truly great game is somewhere between "Road to Hill 30" and "Hells Highway" (no, not "Earned in Blood" even if it's between them, lol) but for now, and after the not so good experience I had with "Earned in Blood", "Hells Highway" feels quite nice.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Lomax, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lomax, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Guacamelee Gold -- MB-4C692E786B077124 - Taken by titch. 4 entrants total.
Civilization IV Complete -- MB-A0E67F63613AAC96 - Taken by Belgarion. 7 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-6927CC35F63EF895 - Taken by Madn. 6 entrants total.
Humble Deep Silver Bundle -- MB-4E5609AB10241F90 - Taken by freshVeggie. 13 entrants total.
Includes Saints Row 2&3, Risen 1&2, Sacred 2 Gold, Sacred Citadel, and Metro 2033
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-B9E7CA0570472A6A

t1428285525z1.png

titch

It's the odd kinda nsfw stuff that crops up without spoilers that has me hitting the scroll wheel a little faster, mind you i've seen me doing that with some of the stuff at home too.

The stuff that doesn't interest me I just skim read anyway - the thread is usually moving pretty fast so there is some worthwhile stuff just round the corner anyway!

I'm a long time Steam thread lurker and I don't think that the thread now is much different of what It was 2 years ago ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I think it's more a case of Nostalgia goggles+hyperbole.

On the other hand, I've been active on this board for about 4 years. I can say with a high degree of certainty that alpacas never got posted in the Steam thread for the first two of them.

Shadownet

Banned
i remember you gifting a bunch of stuff once

what ever happened to that nice side of yours
I'm not sure how things are over in zkyland. But here in the real world, people can't really afford to give away stuff once they lose their job. >_>

Brothers in Arms love letter.

Brother in Arms response.

I could feel myself aging while reading these two posts
on mobile.

Parsnip

Figured out my Steam overlay problem. Turns out that MSI Afterburner overlay (rather, Rivatuner Statistics Server overlay) and Steam overlay don't always play nice with each other.

It's like people claiming they left the Steam thread because of Saoirse Ronan gifs.
I remember this.

Something random I noticed when trying the complete edition, since I haven't played DiRT 3 in a long time, I'm not completely sure now, but feels like the loading times now in the Steam version are alot faster than the old GFWL version.
As I recall, someone ran some tests when Batman games transitioned and the framerates were better without G4WL as well.

Someone needs to take one for the team and install the G4WL version of Dirt 3 along with the new complete edition and bench that shit.

$h@d0w

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me ($h@d0w, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pixel Piracy -- MB-360C6E78FA8633AA - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.

t1428284625z1.png

Free game here!

Of my steamgaf friends, there are twenty something people with less than 5 hours played on PoE(not counting JaseC), come on people!

Of my steamgaf friends, there are twenty something people with less than 5 hours played on PoE(not counting JaseC), come on people!

Maybe they are waiting for the remaining bugs to get squashed. I'd say that's not really necessary, as Obsidian fixes their stuff in a way that if your characters got hit by a bug they are fixed when the patch hits, but that's just me.

Lomax

How many of you have played any of your Desura games?

Before Greenlight put basically everything on Steam, there were actually quite a few games I played on Desura. But it's been probably a year since I had anything there that I don't have on Steam or really want to play that bad. These days I only log in to retrieve keys.

On the other hand, I've been active on this board for about 4 years. I can say with a high degree of certainty that alpacas never got posted in the Steam thread for the first two of them.

That may be the case, but there were also times late last year before the move to community where the Steam thread was getting more posts in a week than it got in a month back then. That was the biggest change, and most likely what drove more of the older people off, because a relatively small community exploded in size to something almost impossible to keep up with.

Maybe they are waiting for the remaining bugs to get squashed. I'd say that's not really necessary, as Obsidian fixes their stuff in a way that if your characters got hit by a bug they are fixed when the patch hits, but that's just me.
But a patch did hit, and fix most of the bugs people encountered.

But a patch did hit, and fix most of the bugs people encountered.

Yep, fixed all the bugs that I'd found anyway (well, there's still the issue that fully upgrading your stronghold doesn't give the achievement but that's really minor)

Hopefully people will realize that and start playing. I'm 43 hours in and only beat part 1 and did some side stuff on 2.

Maniac

Banned
Could be AMD working on optimizing the drivers.

Who am I kidding, it's Nvidia

Are you implying AMD actually makes drivers? ;)
Cs:go resurgence is mad.
It's... Really quite something, isn't it? I've never seen anything like it before.
Also, the most important part of that interview:

All aboard the hype train.
ALL ABOOOAAAARD! CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

Sounds great, and I've still not gone back to it for a few days... Wanna make sure I don't get burnt out! But man, it's so good.

I feel so rude cutting out that personal but but alas.

I got a Franklin-Cristoph journal and a pilot metropolitan fountain pen.

http://youtu.be/DeaGXjD_iDY

Hah, don't worry, it isn't rude at all! You're just replying to what's relevant ;)

And besides, it is what it is. Nothing to do about it.

I digress, that's really, really nice. I was actually considering getting two Pilot Metropolitans from Massdrop recently, but realised that I really have no use for yet another pen. My current one hasn't seen much use lately, so it would be somewhat pointless.

But my oh my, those... Those are some gorgeous journals. They look great... I should check how much shipping is to Daneland

Grief.exe

wanna drive the thread into a positive direction that interests the people you represent?

contribute in any form that isn't complaining, and if what you're saying interests people then you'll receive a response.

That's essentially what I do. I'm sure you can likely find some examples to the contrary, but for the most part just discuss some tech or games, then get out.

I very rarely complain, in fact I don't think I've mentioned anything in about a year. Just pointed it out after you were telling people to fuck off.

Are you implying AMD actually makes drivers? ;)
It's... Really quite something, isn't it? I've never seen anything like it before.
ALL ABOOOAAAARD! CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

Sounds great, and I've still not gone back to it for a few days... Wanna make sure I don't get burnt out! But man, it's so good.

Hah, don't worry, it isn't rude at all! You're just replying to what's relevant ;)

And besides, it is what it is. Nothing to do about it.

I digress, that's really, really nice. I was actually considering getting two Pilot Metropolitans from Massdrop recently, but realised that I really have no use for yet another pen. My current one hasn't seen much use lately, so it would be somewhat pointless.

But my oh my, those... Those are some gorgeous journals. They look great... I should check how much shipping is to Daneland

What headset do you have by the way?

Hugstable

Banned
lol I haven't really been logging into steam for the longest time, and after finally playing alot on steam again the last 3 days, I've gone from having almost no friend requests, to having like 15, all level 0's. Good to be back lol

tmarg

Never bought from nuuvem, do they sell steam keys?
Edit: It's 14% off, nice for a newly released title but after spending too much on winter sales I have to wait till when it'll be around 33-50% off.

It's "on sale" because you'd be paying the Brazilian price, which is likely more than 33% off the US or Europe price.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Deitus, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deitus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Valkyria Chronicles -- MB-806604AFBD972D36 - Taken by Shalashaska. 63 entrants total.
Besiege -- MB-B6490DCD0AC019A5 - Taken by baterism. 69 entrants total.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes -- MB-333890538CAC754E - Taken by chronomac. 83 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Alien: Isolation -- MB-24C96AFA2AE0E673 - Taken by Majukun. 70 entrants total.

t1428330763z1.png

iosefe

Coming home to find that I won Life is Strange from Speevy was a pretty awesome way to end my day, so I wanted to give back something. Happy Easter everyone :)

i couldn't help but notice XCOM went unclaimed

someone claim that please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom