• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Only thing good about GTA IV is mindlessly driving around the city and try to escape the cops. The story... Fucking terrible. Not on writing or anything like that, but because of the lack of checkpoints. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea ? Go to the start of mission, lenghty cutscene. Lenghty drive to the objective. Die? Well, time to do the whole thing all over again.

Yeah, that was super annoying. They fixed that problem in GTA V, though, and IIRC there was even an option to skip a section of the mission if you fail multiple times.

Only thing good about GTA IV is mindlessly driving around the city and try to escape the cops. The story... Fucking terrible. Not on writing or anything like that, but because of the lack of checkpoints. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea ? Go to the start of mission, lenghty cutscene. Lenghty drive to the objective. Die? Well, time to do the whole thing all over again.

uwotm8? GTAIV has an Oscar worthy script, and the driving segments are so filmic that I don't mind doing them over and over.

Like the American culture
it lampoons
GTA V is devoid
of any soul.
GTA4 is a weird beast
as it feels better to me
the more time passes.

I really only slowly
came to admire
the tanky movement,
the weighty car dynamics,
the main characters etc.

Also, why are we putting
these weird paragraphs? :p

zkylon

zkylewd

yea, it's one of the big improvements of gay tony

also the story and characters are much better

probably the best thing rockstar's ever written

derExperte

I am almost at 50% of GTA IV story and man this game is so boring in comparison with Vice City and San Andreas. Worst thing is that people were complaining about constant need for driving in Mafia 2 and in GTA IV is same situation. Almost half way through the game and i still can't feel soul of this game.

Use fast travel via taxi as often as possible. Without it especially V would be unbearable.

Haunted

I wouldn't be against curbing the waifu/animu thing a bit in the Steam thread since it has cost us some valuable (and non-valuable) regular participants recently, but ultimately it's up to the mods on how they want to handle and steer these kinds of community megathreads.

Like the American culture
it lampoons
GTA V is devoid
of any soul.
latest

*snips fingers*

zkylon

zkylewd
quickly scroll through the thread pages

is anime really a problem in this thread?

is it every other post?

cos it doesn't look like that to me

Let's talk about how fast I'll buy Grim Fandango if it goes on sale for the first time.

Very fast, that's how fast.
same

i've actually never played grim in english so i'd be interested to hear manny's original voice

Conceptor

Yo, I put the fuckanime.gifs in the op and I've yet to see them used in the appropriate threads.

People seriously don't read the op.
What a nice time chime in that I got a laugh out of the thread title when I peeked my head out of the doto thread and checked community.

xWVq5Hs.gif

I'll make use of this, thanks.

Kifimbo

Hope someone doesn't have it yet.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes -- MB-F10B1FAEF721C84B - Taken by anastef

zkylon

zkylewd
so, first puzzle of samaritan paradox has me stuck for like 5 minutes because to actually look at the books in a bookshelf you have to "use" rather than "examine"

you can do better, videogames...

I'm more of a consistent lurker in this thread and I'd have to agree with you. However, the christmas sale period had a lot of anime stuff going around, mostly because there's been a recent rise in visual novels coming to steam and a lot of the stuff was related to those games, with some regular off topic F#$% anime every time a few gifs/pics were posted.

now back to those sc2casts.
yup

if ppl want to combat anime talk then add something to the conversation

People who claim that the Steam thread is so full of anime talk and that it's so overwhelming they claim to have the need to leave it are entirely full of crap, in my opinion. Anime talk it's not really that frequent at all, and there's more "fuck anime" talk than there's actual anime talk.

It's like people claiming they left the Steam thread because of Saoirse Ronan gifs.

I'm more of a consistent lurker in this thread and I'd have to agree with you. However, the christmas sale period had a lot of anime stuff going around, mostly because there's been a recent rise in visual novels coming to steam and a lot of the stuff was related to those games, with some regular off topic F#$% anime every time a few gifs/pics were posted.

Lomax

Coming home to find that I won Life is Strange from Speevy was a pretty awesome way to end my day, so I wanted to give back something. Happy Easter everyone :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lomax, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Guacamelee Gold -- MB-4C692E786B077124 - Taken by titch. 4 entrants total.
Civilization IV Complete -- MB-A0E67F63613AAC96 - Taken by Belgarion. 7 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-6927CC35F63EF895 - Taken by Madn. 6 entrants total.
Humble Deep Silver Bundle -- MB-4E5609AB10241F90 - Taken by freshVeggie. 13 entrants total.
Includes Saints Row 2&3, Risen 1&2, Sacred 2 Gold, Sacred Citadel, and Metro 2033
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM Enemy Unknown -- MB-B9E7CA0570472A6A

t1428285525z1.png

Aerocrane

Hey everyone! Since Codemasters have now released Dirt 3 as the Complete Edition I decided to replay the game and it's been great. The game feels very well optimised in my opinion and it looks as good as I remember it. Having all the DLC is really nice as well, I managed to try a couple of cars I haven't tried before. I usually don't care for those stunt events and I already did those during the GFWL version so I might just focus on the pure racing events this time. If anyone haven't tried yet I believe it's a solid investment. I already put around 8 hours in the game and playing with no HUD at all feels amazing.

I also asked a member from Codemasters if we are going to see Dirt 1 back on Steam but he replied that it would be impossible, not because the license of Colin's name but because of the licensed cars. That's a shame.

Dirt 3 still looks good in terms of graphics and it has lots of interesting rally cars from different eras. There's just so much to dislike though. I hate the Gymkhana stuff and the Ken Block and X Games stuff that comes with it is annoying. Also annoying are the babbling nobodies who are supposed to be your manager, mechanic and such. The worst part of Dirt 3 is the track design, the roads on the rally stages are far too wide, making it really easy to drive fast. And the fastest line usually is just cutting off-track as much as possible without crashing. It doesn't help that there are very few stages and they reuse same sections too much combined with the stages being really short. There really hasn't been a modern rally game with long special stages, all of them have stages that take just a couple minutes each which is boring.

Hugstable

Banned
So those playing Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin, would you say it's better than Vanilla, or should I just stick to Vanilla DS2? I gotta finally play this game more than a few hours sooner or later, and my Dark Souls playthrough is pretty much almost done.

Grief.exe

mrorange already made the boring version of the thread for the ppl that don't like the insanity that goes on here

the crazy chat-room-like nature of this thread is what makes it entertaining, not just a list of sales like some people would like

and sometimes there's actually good discussion (i've had good back and forths about hotline miami 2, life is strange, or even this obsidian transphobia thing)

so like, if you don't have anything positive to add to create meaningful discussion and your only way of contributing to the thread is complaining then fuck off :>

also yea nobody reads the op

long live anime

This thread does encompass a wide demographic, and the culture did used to be vastly different. So telling a large portion of people to fuck off if they don't appreciate the current climate is a bit obtuse.

I believe the current culture of the thread hasn't fostered good, constant gaming and PC discussion like it used to, but I'm also not telling people to fuck off and get off my lawn either.

We used to joke about the culture that fostered during the various sale threads, then one year after a summer sale that culture just stuck around permanently. I believe it was Summer Sale 2014, where directly afterwards there was a massive shift in discussion.

ilCascbufrEo6.png

C4rter

Finished "Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30" and "Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood" these last few days. I remembered playing one of them when they were released but never finished it.

It's almost unbelievable that these games, with those graphics and these horrible controls are so popular. And I can't even say they are bad games. Behind those clunky controls and the mediocre graphics lies a damn fine strategy shooter with a compelling story and memorable characters.

But besides that, the most annoying thing is aiming (in a shooting game!). The worst parts always were, when my man were pinning down the enemy (the most common thing in the game, you pin enemies down from start to finish) and I made my way to their flanks.
I sneaked up to them, used iron sight and started firing but more than half of my bullets miss them and only one of three "Krauts" is dead.

In hectic situations these controls almost always meant "instant death" because you can't hit shit when you are overrun by a bunch of "Krauts".
I'm not saying that the game is hard because of the clunky controls, but these controls don't make the game any easier. And the AI of my own guys isn't flawless either, sometimes standing in front of the cover and getting blown to pieces.

Well, after finishing "Earned in Blood" which is the second of the three (with improved enemy AI, larger areas and more variety but also further increased difficulty) I just started part 3, "Hells Highway" and I couldn't believe my eyes.

Pretty graphics, great controls and far superior cut scenes to tell the cool "Band of Brothers"-like-story that was established in the first two games.
I'm blown away. NOW I understand why so many people want another "Brothers in Arms" game, because the third one is this awesome tactical shooter with great graphics and smooth controls.

But anybody who is interested in this franchise should play the first two as well.

So those playing Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin, would you say it's better than Vanilla, or should I just stick to Vanilla DS2? I gotta finally play this game more than a few hours sooner or later, and my Dark Souls playthrough is pretty much almost done.

Do you have the DLC for vanilla? I can't speak to the Scholar version but I'll say the DLC is better than most of the main's contents.

That's not a slight against the main. The DLC is just that well pulled off.

Copons

OT but I know there is cross over here

VvmZzN7.png

FUCK EVERYTHING!!!

WTF

I thought it was something like a late April's fool, but nope, it says exactly the same on Lynch's official Twitter.
https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH

Way to kill every buzz ever, especially after the super marathon I did basically 10 minutes after they announced the new season.

Fuck off, now I don't know if I should do a X-Files marathon, as I couldn't bear another disappointment like this one. :'(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is anyone in this thread a player of Guns of Icarus Online?

The developers did a kickstarter for the game, which has clearly been released. Then, the developers did a second kickstarter for "Adventure Mode". It is way too much effort for me to figure out what adventure mode actually is. The developers have weekly updates on their website, mostly about co-op mode. Is co-op mode adventure mode? I can't tell if the developers have delivered adventure mode or not? Can someone fill me in on their progress? Either they're people who took a lot of money and ran, or they're responsible developers, but it depends on what it is they actually promised and what they're delivering.

Belgarion

quickly scroll through the thread pages

is anime really a problem in this thread?

is it every other post?

cos it doesn't look like that to me

same

i've actually never played grim in english so i'd be interested to hear manny's original voice

Never played grim so i'm also waiting that sale

Hugstable

Banned
Do you have the DLC for vanilla? I can't speak to the Scholar version but I'll say the DLC is better than most of the main's contents.

That's not a slight against the main. The DLC is just that well pulled off.

Yeah I got the season pass so I should be good to go on the new contents. I didn't make it far into the main game, started to get annoyed with how many times the game made you fight multiple enemies at once with no real way to pull them individually. Something I love about Dark Souls 1 is the ability to get most fights into a 1v1, or even just a 2v1. DS2 seemed to just be throwing shit left and right with lots of surprise gankers.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck off, now I don't know if I should do a X-Files marathon, as I couldn't bear another disappointment like this one. :'(

I mean, even if season 10 of the tv show ends up getting cancelled, there's always the season 10 comics if you haven't read them yet.

Shame that there's nothing like that for Twin Peaks ;__;

Copons

I mean, even if season 10 of the tv show ends up getting cancelled, there's always the season 10 comics if you haven't read them yet.

Shame that there's nothing like that for Twin Peaks ;__;

I didn't know about the S10 comics, but then again, I basically don't remember shit about X-Files except some things here and there, so a complete rewatch would be absolutely inevitable anyway!

But, the fucking Twin Peaks thing is killing me.
I even gifted a custom made Lego Black Lodge
of which I'm super proud, scavenging for pieces in my childhood boxes and in godforgotten tiny toy stores and doing all the packaging and everything
to my gf for her birthday some weeks ago. :'(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think it's an improvement over Vanilla so. The encounters are a bit crazier but it's still very manageable.

Shadownet

Banned
I came here during the Summed Sale 2014 and proceeded to change SteamGAF forever. You may blame all the anime, waifu and off-topic convos on me.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
WTF

I thought it was something like a late April's fool, but nope, it says exactly the same on Lynch's official Twitter.
https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH

Way to kill every buzz ever, especially after the super marathon I did basically 10 minutes after they announced the new season.

... might also be his last-ditch effort to get showtime to give him the budget he needed .... you know - if enough people get pissed off by that announcement ...

Copons

... might also be his last-ditch effort to get showtime to give him the budget he needed .... you know - if people get pissed off enough by that announcement ...

I'm hoping the same.

I guess Showtime really did the worst thing possible (business-wise), announcing a series like that, so utterly interconnected with its author, without first having a solid deal with him.
If it wasn't Twin Peaks, I would be laughing out loud, but it being Twin Peaks, I'm just very sad. :(

lashman

I'm hoping the same.

I guess Showtime really did the worst thing possible (business-wise), announcing a series like that, so utterly interconnected with its author, without first having a solid deal with him.
If it wasn't Twin Peaks, I would be laughing out loud, but it being Twin Peaks, I'm just very sad. :(

well it sure worked for the Deadpool movie ... and the new Alien movie ... so - who knows ;) keeping my fingers crossed

zkylon

zkylewd
This thread does encompass a wide demographic, and the culture did used to be vastly different. So telling a large portion of people to fuck off if they don't appreciate the current climate is a bit obtuse.

I believe the current culture of the thread hasn't fostered good, constant gaming and PC discussion like it used to, but I'm also not telling people to fuck off and get off my lawn either.

like i said many times before

wanna drive the thread into a positive direction that interests the people you represent?

contribute in any form that isn't complaining, and if what you're saying interests people then you'll receive a response

but all that people does is lament the great posters that went away (who?) and randomly complain about anime and how they can no longer have the great conversations of old (which, btw, i can't remember, and i've been in these threads pretty much ever since they began)

it's so easy to complain

Finished "Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30" and "Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood" these last few days. I remembered playing one of them when they were released but never finished it.

It's almost unbelievable that these games, with those graphics and these horrible controls are so popular. And I can't even say they are bad games. Behind those clunky controls and the mediocre graphics lies a damn fine strategy shooter with a compelling story and memorable characters.

But besides that, the most annoying thing is aiming (in a shooting game!). The worst parts always were, when my man were pinning down the enemy (the most common thing in the game, you pin enemies down from start to finish) and I made my way to their flanks.
I sneaked up to them, used iron sight and started firing but more than half of my bullets miss them and only one of three "Krauts" is dead.

In hectic situations these controls almost always meant "instant death" because you can't hit shit when you are overrun by a bunch of "Krauts".
I'm not saying that the game is hard because of the clunky controls, but these controls don't make the game any easier. And the AI of my own guys isn't flawless either, sometimes standing in front of the cover and getting blown to pieces.

Well, after finishing "Earned in Blood" which is the second of the three (with improved enemy AI, larger areas and more variety but also further increased difficulty) I just started part 3, "Hells Highway" and I couldn't believe my eyes.

Pretty graphics, great controls and far superior cut scenes to tell the cool "Band of Brothers"-like-story that was established in the first two games.
I'm blown away. NOW I understand why so many people want another "Brothers in Arms" game, because the third one is this awesome tactical shooter with great graphics and smooth controls.

But anybody who is interested in this franchise should play the first two as well.
actually i feel the opposite way

comparing graphics of games of two different generations of consoles is moot, so that part i'll ignore. i'll just say for the time rth30 and eib were released they actually looked really good and i still think they have a really good mood to them, probably my favorite in any ww2 game. something about the dead quiet, open fields, recreated from real ww2 battles just feel realistic in a way that the bombastic urban wars of call of duty never really matched for me. lots of small details like switching weapons actually having a lengthy animation and the blur when aiming down the sights were actually really impressive at the time. i also felt like the violence looked really raw, like it wasn't exaggerated like in hell's highway but it also wasn't downplayed and someone getting hit by a tank would end up being a bloody mess of a person, but not to the point it's gibs everywhere. it was a genuinely moody game.

second, the complaint about controls is weird. it's not call of duty, the point was never for you to be able to line up shots perfectly and whatnot. i remember trying to beat the game just using commands (except that one section, obviously), which actually work super well and are very streamlined and simple but really enjoyable too. every fight is like a small puzzle and it's all in how you arrange your people for suppressing fire, flanking, etc. there's no need for you to shoot people yourself, and if you do it's inaccurate to simulate the tension of a real life battle. yeah it's a bit too inaccurate but then you have hell's highway which can be easily be played like a regular third person shooter what with the regenerating health and the cover mechanics and whatnot. the first games were scary, one or two shots and you're dead and tanks and turrets would fuck up your team really bad if you were dumb. and having someone die or taking a shot had persistent consequences which gave decisions a gravity that hell's highway insta-respawning squad members and regenerating health didn't. and since you're a lot more independent because your accuracy is so much better then it's not such a big deal to have one or two guys die on you.

and tbh i didn't really like the more "cinematic" approach to hell's highway's storytelling either. it has a lot of cutscene drama which is pretty decent, even if it's aged really poorly, but it lacks the subtlety and the sense of dread and despair of the first two games. whereas rth30 actually feels like your squad's being taken out one by one and like things couldn't get any worse and that the best thing that happens is actually not having everyone die on you, hell's highway, which is supposed to be a story about a big american defeat, actually feels like a victory, in no small part thanks to the more action-y nature of the gameplay, but also how colorful everything is and how empowered having access to bazookas and good aiming and regenerating health and tanks driving missions makes you feel. the story in the first games often happened off screen, with missions started around the body of one of your comrades that got killed by an unseen sniper bullet, and delivered so well by baker and red's monologues at the start of each level. characters would get a lot of "gameplay characterization" because of how effective they were in combat, rather than getting dedicated cutscenes and you'd bond with them that way. i remember back when i was playing rth30 for the first time being the biggest fan of red because of just how effective that machinegun he had was and how he always seemed to pull through for me, and then when he got a few lines of dialogue that just helped cement him as a likable character, but it was all built on how awesome he was during gameplay. the potential the first two games had for that was really high, while being so powerful and independent on hell's highway meant you didn't get to experience that sort of thing, at least not nearly as often

i don't think hell's highway's bad or anything, i actually like how it wraps up baker's whole pstd thing or whatever, but it's imo the least interesting game in the series, really hamstrung for its early gen release being so tied to the whole gears of war craze and whatnot.

it's one of my favorite shooter series, and i really like its cast and how serious gearbox was about being faithful to historical events and characters, so i'd love a new game, but i think they should go back to the more minimalistic, intimate style that made that series unique, and leave the explosions and the gore for call of duty

sorry for the rambly post, i really like that series!

OT but I know there is cross over here

VvmZzN7.png

FUCK EVERYTHING!!!
fuck this shit

Never played grim so i'm also waiting that sale
dang you're up for a treat of amazing writing and terrible puzzling <3

I came here during the Summed Sale 2014 and proceeded to change SteamGAF forever. You may blame all the anime, waifu and off-topic convos on me.
i remember you gifting a bunch of stuff once

what ever happened to that nice side of yours

MUnited83

For you.

We used to joke about the culture that fostered during the various sale threads, then one year after a summer sale that culture just stuck around permanently. I believe it was Summer Sale 2014, where directly afterwards there was a massive shift in discussion.

ilCascbufrEo6.png

I'm a long time Steam thread lurker and I don't think that the thread now is much different of what It was 2 years ago ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯. I think it's more a case of Nostalgia goggles+hyperbole.

lashman

I'm hoping the same.

uh oh ... ; _ ;

fXDFXrO.jpg
E5bGBkg.jpg
bnEzYdr.jpg
CS2Vt5A.jpg
04slhBc.jpg

oh man ... I really feel bad for him now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom