• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Maybe I shouldn't treat this thread as a general PC one (although it seems to become one), but continuing with the Revision demoparty I posted last time - this is AMAZING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHXx3orN35Y

And "PC thread" kinda fits because it's on PC.
The original one, from 1981. With CGA graphics. (suposedly it doesn't even work on any emulators)

I think that, more or less, this is the general PC thread.
About that video, amazing stuff.

Salsa

gqgeou.gif

lawd

Salsa

Are these just snippets from the GI video? No actual trailer yet?

game informer trailer

basically just a bunch of people talking images from previous deus ex and some snippets of this new unreleased CG trailer

im sure we'll get the full trailer in a few hours

jens2kbuor.gif

Dsyndrome

Only thing that sucks about today is that half the crap at the end of DE: HR has been spoiled for me now.

Yeah yeah, > six months and all, but first world problems, you know.

I need a better method of going through my backlog.

Jawmuncher

game informer trailer

basically just a bunch of people talking images from previous deus ex and some snippets of this new unreleased CG trailer

im sure we'll get the full trailer in a few hours

jens2kbuor.gif

Looking forward to the full trailer because just like I said earlier, the first one was hype as hell. I would easily say it's my favorite trailer of all time.

Only thing that sucks about today is that half the crap at the end of DE: HR has been spoiled for me now.

Yeah yeah, > six months and all, but first world problems, you know.

I need a better method of going through my backlog.

the ending of DXHR is literally you pressing one of 4 buttons and then watching a 20 second video.

it's about the journey, not the destination.

Salsa

im gonna post this every time someone praises modern game design while being different to the old games or whatever crap:

itxsjs.gif

"oh shit derrick's here"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What I'm about to say is super premature, some people would very right to quote me and say "Wow, how premature, we've only seen a tiny little bit, why are you so negative and cynical, jeez", but...

The Deus Ex reveal looks super underwhelming to me. It looks like more of the same. Same characters, same style locations, same piss filter, visually the pictures look like incremental improvements + bullshot level IQ. The Game Informer cover has awful art and a boring tag-line. Deus Ex is about choice, yes, but so are like 50% of the AAA games that come out now. Up the ante. What's the next level? If the next level is just more of the same, that's a disappointment. I like Deus Ex, I liked HR, and a new Deus Ex will be cool even if it's an expansion pack, but it's been 5 years so I was expecting it to be a home-run, not a single. Sequels designed to polish and iterate make a lot more sense when they're annual than when you're anticipating them for a long time.

Again, premature, maybe they're going to roll out the heavy hitters over the next weeks and months and in the run up to the game's no-doubt going-to-be-delayed launch.

Copons

So no
t with Lynch involved
Twin Peaks, but apparently HECK YEAH 17 new episodes of Arrested Development just lying around waiting for an official Netflix announcement!

Sorry for the OT, but who cares, Obama really did give us back Arrested Development, maybe even twice!
Thanks him, indeed!

EDIT: not really the best first post of the page ever...
Oh well, just remember everybody: cool kids play Cities: Skylines. Like right now. Or always. Be unemployed, be urban planner, live your dreams.

Phawx

All games coming to Steam, X-posting from Indie Thread.

My Quick Look on Hero Generations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjdHXUshP4

KWb1LA1.gif

Quick Impressions: The game bills itself as a 4x Strategy Roguelike RPG, with the enticing McGuffin being that each turn is one (1) year of time that has passed. It's an interesting mechanic when applied against average human life expectancy. There is always an urgency regarding your movement and what you set out to accomplish before going to the nearest town to have your next offspring.

The end goal of the game centers around how much fame (any particular generation) you've attained during their particular life-cycle. More or less, fame is your score and you're trying to get a high score, which are reflected against a leaderboard on the main menu.

These are the basics to the game, which fosters a very tight play-cycle on any particular generation lasting around three (3) minutes on average. There are methods to increase your life expectancy (which requires either time or luck) but the steady beat of time and unlucky battles widdles away what little life you have.

The game is very easy to pick up and learn with only a (optional) five minute tutorial to get you up to speed. Animations are crude but get the job done. Scaling up the game window to accommodate your display actually works against the game, especially during the battle sequences which can make the game (visually) seem not fully baked.

All told, Hero Generations is like witnessing a machine in action. All of the cogs and pieces have a purpose and fit together perfectly. But, at least for me, it never went further than a cold, calculated strategy machine and never really addressed the powerful metaphor of how our lives are short-lived.​

My Quick Look on Don't Shoot Yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kMiXZmZCds

Fi7ERom.gif

Quick Impressions:

You move your ship around in a confined space with your mouse. Moving fires bullets. If you stop moving, you will reload your bullets. You need to keep moving, while avoiding your bullets from hitting yourself. Hence the title of the game.

I really enjoy tiny games like this where the very core of the game design practically writes the rest of how the game should be developed. Self-evident game design.​

My Quick Look on Westerado: Double Barreled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZp400oB9M

46EukNF.gif

Quick Impressions: Before I begin, I wasn't aware that this game was a browser game first, you can find it here: http://games.adultswim.com/westerado-action-online-game.html.

With that out of the way, boy howdy! This game is REALLY good. It has the general plot device that sets up the story, but what Westerado does that I was actually surprised at was how important all of the NPCs were to the story. You start off with a clue as to who killed your brother and mother. But it's not much of a clue at all, because it basically only solves 50% of the population (maybe).

But the interesting thing is that dialogue trees are not limited to just different dialogue options. You can have actions be your dialogue options. The actions are pretty limited, you could either walk away from a conversation, to which the NPC you were talking with might get upset or find it strange but it could also be a tactic. The other dialogue action you can take it pointing your gun towards the person you're having a conversation with. This gets them nervous as they try to cool the situation. You can FURTHER push this action by cocking the hammer of your gun back which puts additional pressure on the NPC to act. Sometimes they'll just drop whatever money they have and run. Others will make a funny comment that manages to reflect the situation. Super refreshing and well designed.

There is an excellent map system/quest log/hint log that keeps you updated with where you left off and is executed perfectly. I never found myself wanting for information in any particular way and the presentation is just fantastic.

Speaking of presentation, while some of the character pixel-art is bordering on Atari 2600, the environmental artwork is truly something to behold. I realize that it may not be everyone's cup-of-tea, but damn do I enjoy it.

Normally, I don't comment on music, but holy shit these guys nailed it. Not only is it authentic, it's scripted magnificently. At each and every turn that there could have been a musical embellishment to heighten what was happening on screen, it was there. Whoever was responsible for creating the music and scripting it against the game did a master level execution.

If you can't wait for the Steam release, give the browser version a try.

Recommended. Very Recommended.

Salsa

What I'm about to say is super premature, some people would very right to quote me and say "Wow, how premature, we've only seen a tiny little bit, why are you so negative and cynical, jeez", but...

The Deus Ex reveal looks super underwhelming to me. It looks like more of the same. Same characters, same style locations, same piss filter, visually the pictures look like incremental improvements + bullshot level IQ. The Game Informer cover has awful art and a boring tag-line. Deus Ex is about choice, yes, but so are like 50% of the AAA games that come out now. Up the ante. What's the next level? If the next level is just more of the same, that's a disappointment. I like Deus Ex, I liked HR, and a new Deus Ex will be cool even if it's an expansion pack, but it's been 5 years so I was expecting it to be a home-run, not a single. Sequels designed to polish and iterate make a lot more sense when they're annual than when you're anticipating them for a long time.

Again, premature, maybe they're going to roll out the heavy hitters over the next weeks and months and in the run up to the game's no-doubt going-to-be-delayed launch.

I don't disagree

im kinda more excited for the CG trailer right now, but nothing about the reveal particularly excites me in terms of what the game is

hoping to be proven wrong

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Stump is the new Derrick - confirmed ;)

Jawmuncher

I don't disagree

im kinda more excited for the CG trailer right now, but nothing about the reveal particularly excites me in terms of what the game is

hoping to be proven wrong

Yep salsa pretty much just covered what I was going to say. Hopefully the magazine details shine some more light on what's really going on with the game though.

Salsa

I also think the screenshots look fucking hideous, besides the one outside with the third person cover

I mean:

1428435040-deus-ex-mankind-divided-screen-2.jpg

my eyes

yuraya

Wow Mankind Divided looks amazing. Makes me want to replay HR. On my first (and only) playthrough I chose the
"fuck everything and let everyone die" :p
ending. Really didn't like many of the characters but it was still a very good game.

HoosTrax

All games coming to Steam, X-posting from Indie Thread.

My Quick Look on Hero Generations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjjdHXUshP4

KWb1LA1.gif

Quick Impressions: The game bills itself as a 4x Strategy Roguelike RPG, with the enticing McGuffin being that each turn is one (1) year of time that has passed. It's an interesting mechanic when applied against average human life expectancy. There is always an urgency regarding your movement and what you set out to accomplish before going to the nearest town to have your next offspring.

The end goal of the game centers around how much fame (any particular generation) you've attained during their particular life-cycle. More or less, fame is your score and you're trying to get a high score, which are reflected against a leaderboard on the main menu.

These are the basics to the game, which fosters a very tight play-cycle on any particular generation lasting around three (3) minutes on average. There are methods to increase your life expectancy (which requires either time or luck) but the steady beat of time and unlucky battles widdles away what little life you have.

The game is very easy to pick up and learn with only a (optional) five minute tutorial to get you up to speed. Animations are crude but get the job done. Scaling up the game window to accommodate your display actually works against the game, especially during the battle sequences which can make the game (visually) seem not fully baked.

All told, Hero Generations is like witnessing a machine in action. All of the cogs and pieces have a purpose and fit together perfectly. But, at least for me, it never went further than a cold, calculated strategy machine and never really addressed the powerful metaphor of how our lives are short-lived.​
Artstyle reminds me a lot of Skulls of the Shoguns.

zkylon

zkylewd
thanks for the happy birthday wishes and for the gifts y'all <3

Holy crap King's Bounty has some tacky-ass cover art.

yeah, but the game's quite sophisticated actually

really fun games, very much recommended

tons of spiders tho, i don't know how i managed to beat two of those

Witcher 3 Season Pass, errrr Expansion Pass announced

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/991
lol wtf that name

seems like good value tho, will prolly snatch it if it's cheapo on nuuvem

so many pictures of guns

also more adam jensen i dunno how i feel about that

Holy fuck you're old

I always thought you were like 18-20... I'm not sure if that says something about you or me... :p

Btw, "Holy fuck you're old" is my way of saying the "happy birthday" thing that people like to say. So happy "holy fuck you're old"!

i mean i have the mind of a 15 year old at best so...

59 gigs for gtaV huh

but yeah zkylon's reasoning kinda made me reconsider and I doubt i'll get it

there's no real zeitgeist so other than my need to play it there's no reason to get it, and I can wait for a sale
yes

wait wait wait

zkylon

zkylewd
yea those dx pictures look pretty lame

i was hoping for different protagonist and different look, as the whole icarus/gold filter/geometric shapes thing felt very much dxhr and not really deus ex as a whole

i feel like reeling it back to the blues and the more blocky shaps and dark, more traditional cyberpunk would've been a good direction for the series, or even coming up with something new

also i dunno, the deus ex formula isn't easy to convey in screenshots. a 10 minute playthrough or something tells you a lot, tho, so hopefully they'll do a few of those

Just to be clear every version outside of Steam is GOG version and you need Steam Expansion Pass if you want Expansions on Steam.
aw dang

well, it's cdpr, so will see

you get a gog copy with your steam copy tho, right?

titch

I really liked HR one of my fav games in recent times i really hope they don't turn it into a generic FPS with some decision crap bolted on top i mean some of the screens really remind me of.......

See what i mean.

Hopefully i'm wrong - tbh i would be happy with more HR but i would be gutted if they simplify it for the masses.

Dsyndrome

That was only for W2 i think. You won;t get GoG version this time with your Steam copy as far as i know.

I wish I got a STEAM version with my GOG version of W2 for the cheevos. I know it's been $5 before, but now I'm halfway through the game... Also my only regret about going GOG for W3, but it's a small price to pay to support the developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom