• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I really liked HR one of my fav games in recent times i really hope they don't turn it into a generic FPS with some decision crap bolted on top i mean some of the screens really remind me of.......

See what i mean.

Hopefully i'm wrong - tbh i would be happy with more HR but i would be gutted if they simplify it for the masses.

As I said earlier I hope they just offer that as a full on playstyle. If I want to straight up just kill everyone in my wake and not sneak not even once I should be able to, without a increase in difficulty to go along with it.

louiedog

I don't think Deus Ex is going to look like that in game. They look heavily staged and edited like composites made of different pieces for marketing purposes. They're really showing off those guns. I wouldn't worry.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Most of us have forgotten to age mentally. I giggle like a school girl when saying pianist.

hBmgAND.jpg

The new Deus ex really should have a female lead with the main inspiration of NOLF. Then they could have the main story interact with some Adam Jensen events ala resident evil. You're welcome for my armchair game design.

What I'm about to say is super premature, some people would very right to quote me and say "Wow, how premature, we've only seen a tiny little bit, why are you so negative and cynical, jeez", but...

The Deus Ex reveal looks super underwhelming to me. It looks like more of the same. Same characters, same style locations, same piss filter, visually the pictures look like incremental improvements + bullshot level IQ. The Game Informer cover has awful art and a boring tag-line. Deus Ex is about choice, yes, but so are like 50% of the AAA games that come out now. Up the ante. What's the next level? If the next level is just more of the same, that's a disappointment. I like Deus Ex, I liked HR, and a new Deus Ex will be cool even if it's an expansion pack, but it's been 5 years so I was expecting it to be a home-run, not a single. Sequels designed to polish and iterate make a lot more sense when they're annual than when you're anticipating them for a long time.

Again, premature, maybe they're going to roll out the heavy hitters over the next weeks and months and in the run up to the game's no-doubt going-to-be-delayed launch.

These "screenshots" look like more of the same because the concept artist probably used assets from Deux Ex Human Revolution as a basis for parts of their paintings. They would use isolated elements of screen captures from HR or renders of characters and props out of whatever 3D package they use and then paint over them to modify them. None of what has been posted in the leak are actual screenshots from a game. It looks like what we've seen so far is pre-visualistion mock-ups, paint overs and concept paintings from pre-production and a cg trailer by some third party vendor, Square-Enix has used Goldtooth Creative in the past for Deus Ex Human Revolution.

The thing that looks premature is Square-Enix showing off what Eidos Montreal has done thus far. But then it's 4 years after Human Revolution, and other teams worked on other projects, so why are we only seeing what appears to be pre-vis work and a CG trailer at this point?

Terra_Ex

Well, HR was pretty mediocre and new Thief was horrible, so keep calm guys!
PS - they also scrapped all HR endings? Lol, THATS stupid move.

HR's endings were the worst thing about the game, stock footage matched with blathering on about some nonsense as I recall. Best move is to ignore them really.

dex3108

That Nuuvem GTA V deal is really nice but I still don't want to give them 30$ XD But it won't be cheaper until fall at least.

Nabs

My Quick Look on Westerado: Double Barreled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZp400oB9M

46EukNF.gif

Quick Impressions: Before I begin, I wasn't aware that this game was a browser game first, you can find it here: http://games.adultswim.com/westerado-action-online-game.html.

With that out of the way, boy howdy! This game is REALLY good. It has the general plot device that sets up the story, but what Westerado does that I was actually surprised at was how important all of the NPCs were to the story. You start off with a clue as to who killed your brother and mother. But it's not much of a clue at all, because it basically only solves 50% of the population (maybe).

But the interesting thing is that dialogue trees are not limited to just different dialogue options. You can have actions be your dialogue options. The actions are pretty limited, you could either walk away from a conversation, to which the NPC you were talking with might get upset or find it strange but it could also be a tactic. The other dialogue action you can take it pointing your gun towards the person you're having a conversation with. This gets them nervous as they try to cool the situation. You can FURTHER push this action by cocking the hammer of your gun back which puts additional pressure on the NPC to act. Sometimes they'll just drop whatever money they have and run. Others will make a funny comment that manages to reflect the situation. Super refreshing and well designed.

There is an excellent map system/quest log/hint log that keeps you updated with where you left off and is executed perfectly. I never found myself wanting for information in any particular way and the presentation is just fantastic.

Speaking of presentation, while some of the character pixel-art is bordering on Atari 2600, the environmental artwork is truly something to behold. I realize that it may not be everyone's cup-of-tea, but damn do I enjoy it.

Normally, I don't comment on music, but holy shit these guys nailed it. Not only is it authentic, it's scripted magnificently. At each and every turn that there could have been a musical embellishment to heighten what was happening on screen, it was there. Whoever was responsible for creating the music and scripting it against the game did a master level execution.

If you can't wait for the Steam release, give the browser version a try.

Recommended. Very Recommended.

Looking good. I'll push it up higher on my wishlist.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does the mobile Deus Ex port on STEAM have any redeeming qualities? I haven't heard a single positive impression.
I enjoyed it when I played it on iPad at release. It was while I was on vacation and couldn't access any other gaming platform so that might have helped a bit.

I suppose this means that DX The Fall's sequel hook isn't going to be resolved. Not that anyone ever cared about it in the first place, but...

Kind of bummed that none of the HR endings are canon. I expected that if they made a sequel, it would follow on from the self-destruct ending.

Turfster

yeah, adam's fine but i feel like his story's exhausted already

not very much interested in him anymore

The main problem with the story in the first one was that it all was supposed to hinge around Megan, the shittiest, most uninteresting macguffin there ever was.
And of course they bring her back.

Bring back Malik instead.

zkylon

zkylewd
The main problem with the story in the first one was that it all was supposed to hinge around Megan, the shittiest, most uninteresting macguffin there ever was.

Bring back Malik
very true

i mean, how adam dealt with his own transformation could've been a really interesting plot point and it was certainly hinted at in the ads for the game but it never really happened in the actual game

i always found that disappointed, the conversation about posthumanism or whatever that thing was called was always like a background scenery/setting thing, it never really felt like a core theme of the game, or at least not one that was seriously addressed

like cyberpunk games or rpg games that dealt with body modification have always had simple ways to at least talking about that, by making your augmentations reduce your charisma or your social skills or sometimes your "humanity" (the vampire pnp games have stuff like this which i always found to be super cool)

in dxhr it was never an issue, you found an upgrade canister or leveled up or however that worked and it was like "hoorray! new stuff!". and while that's not bad, as dx1 was exactly like that, dx1 didn't really get into the ethics or philosophy of augmentation, it was just good to be like a high-tech robot man, so it made sense that upgrades were that empowering

i dunno, i just don't want more adam jensen, i think he was a decent enough character, he had cool glasses, smoked and drank whiskey with shirt off, cool punch through walls, had batman voice, all that. but his story never went anywhere interesting, so just bring someone new plss

If you ever set foot in off Topic then you've seen his posts. He literally posts in every thread there.
ot ewww

i just like videogames

well he does seem fairly ... positive(ish) on this one :p

Please, the guy is irrelevant and banned.

I hope the new Deus Ex gets the mass effect 3 treatment. It was almost completely unrecognisable to the original as a pretty much straight action game. But at least it was sort of fun when taken for what it is.

I'll assume this is going to be Tomb Raider levels of depth with the respect to the franchise of Hitman and the gameplay innovation of Thief and then hopefully get pleasantly surprised.

zkylon

zkylewd
maybe dx was a metaphor for anabolic abuse and plastic surgery addiction all along

Please, the guy is irrelevant and banned.

I hope the new Deus Ex gets the mass effect 3 treatment. It was almost completely unrecognisable to the original as a pretty much straight action game. But at least it was sort of fun when taken for what it is.

I'll assume this is going to be Tomb Raider levels of depth with the respect to the franchise of Hitman and the gameplay innovation of Thief and then hopefully get pleasantly surprised.

no game should get the mass effect 3 treatement

except maybe mass effect 3

as punishment for itself

zkylon

zkylewd
i1DJhTFK6UFpm.jpg

steam announcements are being kind of lazy lately

the non boobs ones at least

iboGxwmyw4nbyt.jpg

i'd actually erally like a less pervy version of this game

it's such a dumb concept that i can't help but find attractive

zkylon

zkylewd
like, the me3 treatment is basically underdelivering on the core strengths of a series in favor of moderately better gunplay but still not great gunplay so yea i dunno who would want that :p

now an actual immersive sim game based on gits

now that would be rad

Mokoi

Banned
Stumpokapow do you have a contingency plan in place for modbot if you were to go aways? Thing is useful, so I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom