• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
JaseC told me that when he was going through modbot's code last week, he noticed the phrase "Skynet.exe".
skynet-self-aware-o.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stumpokapow do you have a contingency plan in place for modbot if you were to go aways? Thing is useful, so I hope so.

The answer is not really. If I was going to Madagascar for 6 months I'd give Nirolak or someone else an SSH to the server it's hosted on for maintenance purposes. If I just died because I got hit by a car or something it'd work until the server went down or the bills were due and then obviously it'd stop working. If I got, like, banned from GAF or something I guess it'd just die immediately. I'm not being paid for this (and I am paying for the VPS it's running on) so I don't really feel a sense of obligation beyond that. I guess if that ever happened I'd have to make a decision about giving the code to other mods or not. The system doesn't work if it doesn't have access to a mod's account (the auto-edits wouldn't work, or they'd require users to turn over their auth data to modbot which I clearly don't want to do), and the mod's account data needs to be stored on a server that ModBot's syaadmin (in this case me) has access to so I can't imagine it would ever go to someone who isn't a mod.

Edit: If it makes you feel better I just sent an encrypted copy of the source to one person and the password to another, to release in the event of my death. ModBot is safe :p

He'll just activate the machine learning and love modules.

Actually taking a graduate stats class on machine learning right now to keep my brain running well, so we might not be too far off. ;)

AHA-Lambda

Does the mobile Deus Ex port on STEAM have any redeeming qualities? I haven't heard a single positive impression.

Honestly? I liked it, sue me.

Technical mess? Yes, you can see it's a mobile game, but as a bitesized Deus Ex experience to spend a couple hours in that I got for £3? I was more than happy with it.

Maniac

Banned
Half-Life 3 will release before Cyberpunk. And no, that's not a joke.

I could see this happening, considering CDPR always said it'd be way off.

Like I remember a 5-year estimate in, what, '13?
I was weak. So sorry...
77FxjTq.png
Good, good. I just need to find someone Vietnamese and I'll do the same.
Witcher 3 Season Pass is up. $25. Cheapest ROW region is Norway with ~$21.65.

I've contacted CDPR to find out whether the Collectors Edition will have the expansion pass or not, if not I'll jump on this. I know some icky Norwegians.

Mind you they're not as bad as neither the Swedish nor the... Shudder Finnish
The world has enough Witcher 3 for now. Just give me Cyberpunk for god's sake.

That's where all the artists and writers and programmers, etc, are heading when TW3 and the expansions are done, I guess.

Guess the writers and artists couldn't let beautiful fokken Geralt go just yet. :p

Man I'd love to see a Geralt-looking side-character or cameo in Cyberpunk. Because I'm disgusting.

But fuck, Cyberpunk is gun b gut.
jesus ... it's freaking expensive even in Russia O_O

"Expensive"

That's not expensive considering what you'll be getting :p

Especially since some devs think a $30+ season pass with less than 10 hours of content is OK.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Many Will Enter, One Will Leave:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Contraption Maker -- MB-95597B0BE5E664E5 - Taken by derExperte

Maniac

Banned
What I'm about to say is super premature, some people would very right to quote me and say "Wow, how premature, we've only seen a tiny little bit, why are you so negative and cynical, jeez", but...

The Deus Ex reveal looks super underwhelming to me. It looks like more of the same. Same characters, same style locations, same piss filter, visually the pictures look like incremental improvements + bullshot level IQ. The Game Informer cover has awful art and a boring tag-line. Deus Ex is about choice, yes, but so are like 50% of the AAA games that come out now. Up the ante. What's the next level? If the next level is just more of the same, that's a disappointment. I like Deus Ex, I liked HR, and a new Deus Ex will be cool even if it's an expansion pack, but it's been 5 years so I was expecting it to be a home-run, not a single. Sequels designed to polish and iterate make a lot more sense when they're annual than when you're anticipating them for a long time.

Again, premature, maybe they're going to roll out the heavy hitters over the next weeks and months and in the run up to the game's no-doubt going-to-be-delayed launch.
I don't necessarily think they need to up the ante, they just need to have solid gameplay design, which... HR didn't. HR was a great game, imo, but the gameplay was piss-poor compared to Deus Ex 1, imo. Especially the jarring, immersion-breaking, fucking silly weak-ass designed 3rd person camera transitions.

Eurgh. Those are the worst thing I know. Hate them more than I hate birdshit and EA.
And I really, really hate EA.
HE BAAAAACK

Oh for fucks sake, more of the shitty 3rd person camera switch? Fuck that, I'm already disappointed. >_>
Wait... WHAT!?

RAPTURE ISN'T COMING TO PC!?

Fuck you TCR. D;

We made you. You bastards! :(
Grab one of the MSI Gamings series. I got one. Their built in overclocking is pretty good.

Also makes a great ePeen measurement device.

Fuck MSI, Asus ROG is where it's at, boi

Miguel81

I don't necessarily think they need to up the ante, they just need to have solid gameplay design, which... HR didn't. HR was a great game, imo, but the gameplay was piss-poor compared to Deus Ex 1, imo. Especially the jarring, immersion-breaking, fucking silly weak-ass designed 3rd person camera transitions.

I agree with that. Though I loved the game, I much preferred a consistent FP view like in the original.

Pretty big content update for Geometry Wars 3 Dimensions Evolved.

Over 40 new levels, new grid shapes, new modes, and more!

• 40 new "Ultimate Mode" levels with all new grid shapes and gameplay modes
  • 4 new Ultimate Mode boss battles
  • Sweeper Drone with Detonator super ability
  • 20 "Hardcore Mode" levels with no load outs and leader boards for purists
  • New Geometry Wars classic level inspired by the original Evolved game
  • Revisions to the level gating system
    • One star score requirements reduced for all levels
    • Minimum star requirements for boss battles removed
  • Improvements to the multiplayer matchmaking and lobbies
**Please note that updates for the Mac/Linux versions are expected in mid-April**

_hekk05

Banned
Wait... WHAT!?

RAPTURE ISN'T COMING TO PC!?

Fuck you TCR. D;

We made you. You bastards! :(

Delicious salt to quench my thirst.

I don't mind another Adam Jensen deus ex, but so much of HR was good on accident and bad by design. Not much hope there.

Enjoy!
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cyberquake, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Torchlight 2 -- MB-3FF3DAA1397013EE - Taken by texhnolyze

Maniac

Banned
Please, the guy is irrelevant and banned.

I hope the new Deus Ex gets the mass effect 3 treatment. It was almost completely unrecognisable to the original as a pretty much straight action game. But at least it was sort of fun when taken for what it is.

I'll assume this is going to be Tomb Raider levels of depth with the respect to the franchise of Hitman and the gameplay innovation of Thief and then hopefully get pleasantly surprised.
He's more on-point, sensible and relevant than a whole lot of posters in this thread.

Which may or may not be mean but it's sure as hell true :p
Most of us have forgotten to age mentally. I giggle like a school girl when saying pianist.

I giggled somewhat uncontrollably reading this. :3
thanks for the happy birthday wishes and for the gifts y'all <3

yeah, but the game's quite sophisticated actually

really fun games, very much recommended

tons of spiders tho, i don't know how i managed to beat two of those

lol wtf that name

seems like good value tho, will prolly snatch it if it's cheapo on nuuvem

so many pictures of guns

also more adam jensen i dunno how i feel about that

i mean i have the mind of a 15 year old at best so...
The mind of a 15 year old?

Your mind is fucking old!

:p
Wait what? vietnamese?

Oh, so not that different, compared to the brazilian price.
Actually, it's waay more expensive.

That aint regionfree doe. :p
I agree with that. Though I loved the game, I much preferred a consistent FP view like in the original.

Same here. It's just... Much more immersive and it's an indication of much stronger game-design. Most developers with actual funding don't seem to like the idea of experimentation and actually doing something new with the design of their gameplay. Even just one little thing like first-person cover with the ability to blindfire and peak out would be a massive improvement, but ixnae.
Reminds me (especially that part about 3rd person animations) about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoFe8hRy42o

That's hilariously and depressingly on-point with HR (except for the DLC bit, I guess?) and modern games in general.

What happened to good game-design? At what point did we forget all about it? ;_;
Delicious salt to quench my thirst.

I don't mind another Adam Jensen deus ex, but so much of HR was good on accident and bad by design. Not much hope there.

I fully agree. The thing that saved the game for me was honestly the atmosphere and aesthetic, except for the piss filter, it was really well done. Gameplay wasn't all that interesting though, imo.

The soundtrack though... <3

I appreciate Human Revolution just for having dialogue telling you that you should hurry up if you want to save lives actually mean something.

derExperte

Thx, here's the gift copy I got after redeeming the key.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Contraption Maker -- MB-E88B597228F92D8F - Taken by titch. 2 entrants total.

t1428451843z1.png

Vibranium

Banned
I do agree with Derrick about skill points needing to show up again, though it doesn't look like they are probably going to put them in Mankind Divided unfortunately. Maybe after this game they will move farther into the future and we can have that and nanolocks make a comeback.

Salsa

I hope the third person take downs are still in, they were hilarious.

Yes, terrible steam links but this was before I thought about such things.

I posted this in the specific thread but I bet you cant just suckerpunch a random woman in the face anymore after this whole ordeal

Jawmuncher

Wasn't April Fools a week ago? Is FNAF even going to be relevant by the time it comes out?

Think about it this way though. For Scott it won't even matter. He already has the money.
The guy is smart as fuck with how he handled it all. I don't blame him for how he released the game and signed the movie deals. With how popularity can be so short lived these days, it's all about jumping on things quick. Also considering it's a horror movie the budget should be low and the genre is known for quick turn arounds the most. This has a high chance of being made and even releasing by halloween next year if they start soon. Remember when we were getting saw year after year?

Salsa

I dont get the jackie chan either

it's smart as hell. franchise keeps getting bigger kids know what it is, actually works as a movie since the characters do potentially make creepy horror film villains

smart all around, and it could be cool. A lot of people eat up the lore of the games way more than the games themselves

Mr. Doop

Think about it this way though. For Scott it won't even matter. He already has the money.
The guy is smart as fuck with how he handled it all. I don't blame him for how he released the game and signed the movie deals. With how popularity can be so short lived these days, it's all about jumping on things quick. Also considering it's a horror movie the budget should be low and the genre is known for quick turn arounds the most. This has a high chance of being made and even releasing by halloween next year if they start soon. Remember when we were getting saw year after year?

Yeah. The way the guy handled this series was extremely smart and I'm mad jealous because I want that kind of money.

kudoboi

I wish human revolution was fully open world. I wanna explore more of Hengsha damn it. such a wasted opportunity not letting us visit upper Hengsha

_hekk05

Banned
I dont get the jackie chan either

it's smart as hell. franchise keeps getting bigger kids know what it is, actually works as a movie since the characters do potentially make creepy horror film villains

smart all around, and it could be cool. A lot of people eat up the lore of the games way more than the games themselves

Huh.

Would kill for a Jackie Chan brawler featuring the 12 zodiacs from the cartoons.

fenners

Bundle spare - I enjoyed the look/feel of this one for sure, even if the puzzles taxed my drunken brain...

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (fenners, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

MirrorMoon EP -- MB-DC9609D18B4E8AF7 - Taken by derExperte. 19 entrants total.

t1428462943z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom