• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

SteamGAF i need help :D Should i do 180 turn and go against my principles (i don't want to support R* policy regarding PC delay) and buy GTA V on Nuuvem for 30$ or wait probably a year and get it for similar price and be outdated in GTA Online (i probably won't find any of my friends and most of you to play Heists and Online and you will be Level 300 and i will be Level 1 XD)?

derExperte

SteamGAF i need help :D Should i do 180 turn and go against my principles (i don't want to support R* policy regarding PC delay) and buy GTA V on Nuuvem for 30$ or wait probably a year and get it for similar price and be outdated in GTA Online (i probably won't find any of my friends and most of you to play Heists and Online and you will be Level 300 and i will be Level 1 XD)?

Buy Killing Floor 2 in two weeks, convince your friends to do the same and forget GTA Online.

iosefe

Monkey Suit will have to do
PKSUVc7.png
:D

dex3108

Buy Killing Floor 2 in two weeks, convince your friends to do the same and forget GTA Online.

I don't like zombies, and never played KF before (i played only when was free weekend once i think an i didn't like it xD). I want GTA Online just to go out and do crazy things with other people, i don't want anything to serious :D

Grief.exe

GTAV will probably be one playthrough and done for me. Killing Floor 2 will likely be a staple for years.

wtf is raw input for mouse!? And wow all that and using 4GB of vid memory. Wish I had 6GB on my card.

Raw Mouse input is the ideal solution. The game polls the mouse hardware directly for input information, rather than relying on the information from the operating system.
This means you don't get annoying things like acceleration.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
GTAV will probably be one playthrough and done for me. Killing Floor 2 will likely be a staple for years.

... with all the mods and DLC :)

hell - even the first EA build already comes with modding tools :) well - a map editor, to be specific :D

Sarcasm

I really like that you can turn camera auto centering off. Not being able to turn it off made Sleeping Dogs unplayable with Mouse and Keyboard for me.

Can you explain more? What this exactly is? I did get annoyed with sleepy dogs camera.

Cool. Deus Ex is one of my favorite series. Well, the first one I played is one of my goat and I still have to play HR (shoutout to dante :)).

With this I cannot get the extreme excitement though. All which is shown is basically more-of-the-same which doesn't equal to crap but it will be pretty hard to reach the same joy with the same stuff. Would have liked a new protag and time-period tbh.

Also, all screens are very obviously not in-game shots. Why are people drooling over them?
raw input is life. raw input is love.
Huh. I never use that option since the default one feels good.
For getting good results with RAW input, does your mouse has to support a minimum dpi or something similar?

Sarcasm

Unless you've got an ancient SSD I wouldn't worry about unpack times or writes. 60gbs of FFXIII took me less than 10 mins to unpack on an 840 Pro. 120gb of writes is nothing for current NAND/TLC chips, Samsung give a figure of something around 100tb of lifetime writes and that's being very generous. I think Anandtech or someone similar did or are still conducting a torture test to see how much they can get out of a selection of SSD's and it's an awful lot more than what manufacturers state.

Hummm SSD is brand new. Maybe I will just leave it. Can SSDs get fragmented? I tweaked my OS for SSDs.

Grief.exe

Something tells me that 3 gigs of video memory isn't going to cut it. :

Good thing I have 3.5 gigs.

Hummm SSD is brand new. Maybe I will just leave it. Can SSDs get fragmented? I tweaked my OS for SSDs.

No, turn defragmentation off in windows options (it will be scheduled automatically be default)

Unless you've got an ancient SSD I wouldn't worry about unpack times or writes. 60gbs of FFXIII took me less than 10 mins to unpack on an 840 Pro. 120gb of writes is nothing for current NAND/TLC chips, Samsung give a figure of something around 100tb of lifetime writes and that's being very generous. I think Anandtech or someone similar did or are still conducting a torture test to see how much they can get out of a selection of SSD's and it's an awful lot more than what manufacturers state.

I have a feeling that manufacturer specs in that regard are extremely conservative. Every torture test seems to pass the manufacturer numbers by an order of magnitude.

Sarcasm

Good thing I have 3.5 gigs.

No, turn defragmentation off in windows options (it will be scheduled automatically be default)

I have a feeling that manufacturer specs in that regard are extremely conservative. Every torture test seems to pass the manufacturer numbers by an order of magnitude.

SO let GTAV unlock leaving 5GB. Than it shrinks down back to 60GB. And play?

=D

derExperte

Really? The last couple of times I installed Win 8.1 it was on there by default.

It will only do a quick trim-run but no full defrag.

Here's an interesting article that goes more in-depth: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

Conclusion

No, Windows is not foolishly or blindly running a defrag on your SSD every night, and no, Windows defrag isn't shortening the life of your SSD unnecessarily. Modern SSDs don't work the same way that we are used to with traditional hard drives.

Yes, your SSD's file system sometimes needs a kind of defragmentation and that's handled by Windows, monthly by default, when appropriate. The intent is to maximize performance and a long life. If you disable defragmentation completely, you are taking a risk that your filesystem metadata could reach maximum fragmentation and get you potentially in trouble.

woo, money went through paypal and I was able to get DA:I for $20 in time :D so many gaemz. looking forward to playing that soon, I'll be making a warrior since its the only DA class that I haven't played yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom