• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hats off. It's all I can say.

Ok, I can say a bit more than that. This is much more than a straight conversion. Many new rooms, objects, dialogue were added which - and that is very important - do add and fit well into what is the base Half-Life experience. I really loved the banter between science staff.

Visually this mod shines.... literally. The default bloom is set to a felt 11.
Just look or better take a glimpse before your eyes shut.

Thankfully the devs added a separate settings tab for new features were among others bloom can be adjusted. I just wish there was an explanation what each box means though. Don't understand all.

Back to visuals. There are many small obejects, many of which you barely see, that are so crazy highly detailed, I no longer wonder why this conversion took so long. It does give an impression of disjointedness when much less detailed objects are close to these though. You can't have it all. From a non-profit project this is way more than anyone could expect.

Crazy to think the original game is 17 years old! I still remember it like it was yesterday. One of my favorites. Hah, to think I am playing such a nostalgic game today, the day I was born, makes it only more emotional.
Really loving it so far and I will definitely continue playing.

Here some more choice screenshots.

Black Mesa is the first and only HL I played, a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it, but got stuck/lost somewhere along the way and stopped playing. Lost my save my file since then. Since I upgraded my PC recently I was looking forward to play it in down sampled 4K (I couldn't even max it out or even at 1080p before and I had spotty frames), but didn't feel like starting it from the beginning again.

Why did you choose to play this after the HL2 update and EP1 and EP2 and not before?

Dr Dogg

What on earth is this DVD Drive you folks speak of? Is it one of those toys our grandparents used to play with like the hoop and stick?

I don't really get why people like his schtick. It's very juvenile. He's too smart for that kind of thing.

I don't follow any "youtubers", just watched a few minutes of a video to see what all the fuss is about and reading that viewers actually bought him a WiiU seriously blew my mind.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
L4UGdB3.jpg

before you ask: Technical Director on Frostbite at Electronic Arts

Lomax

Yeah, there's a thread about it. Demanding DX12 so soon might lock out a lot of potential buyers.

It's going to be a lot more viable since Microsoft is giving out the free upgrades. One would assume a much larger portion of the gaming community will be on Windows 10 than would have upgraded otherwise. And if it really is the massive gain they keep claiming it will be, developers should jump on that as soon as possible. Normally I'm all for as much backwards compatibility as possible, but this does seem to be becoming one of the rare situations a more aggressive change will be warranted.

Maniac

Banned
GTAV will probably be one playthrough and done for me. Killing Floor 2 will likely be a staple for years.

Raw Mouse input is the ideal solution. The game polls the mouse hardware directly for input information, rather than relying on the information from the operating system.
This means you don't get annoying things like acceleration.

Re: KF2... Sounds about right. I imagine it'll be the very same situation for myself, although I think I'll wait for KF2 to be out of EA before I dive in - I've gotten myself burnt-out by playing unfinished games way to many times before.

And fuck, Raw Mouse Input is the best. It's seriously one of the options that're most important for me to consider something a good port or not. I hate fiddling with a game to get the sensitivity I'm used to playing my games with. Raw input best input :'D
It'd be lewd if he'd said finger in many vaginas.

And also weird and a really daft analogy.

Eheh, eheheheheh. I said anal.
TXAA = Temporal Anti Aliasing

HBAO+ = Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion Plus

FXAA = Fast Approximate Anti Aliasing

MSAA = Multi Sample Anti Aliasing

Now I don't know if it's just me and my love of tweaking but once you get past the acronyms the full names pretty much tell me all I need to know what each will do.
I don't even remember what Nvidia's newest is called... MFAA? MLAA? Whichever it is, I've no recollection of what the acronym is for.

Locust

Actually tried to play the Havoc map pack maps yesterday on CoD:AW and no one (in my region, I guess) was playing the playlist :|

Exo zombies had players but it's honestly pretty boring just like the rest of the game.

Sendou

So I heard PC retail version of GTA V comes with a Steam code. Would this be accurate? If so it's pretty weird since I thought they wanted to push their Social Club solution like they do with Nuuvem.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
From when I completed Life is Strange Ep.2 I can't play nothing costantly. I started POE, but I can't manage to play each day due to stuff going on, I hope at least I manage to complete it for May :S

I also need to beat Oceanhorn, this month DLC for Evil Within will be released too.
Chloe <3

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I heard PC retail version of GTA V comes with a Steam code. Would this be accurate? If so it's pretty weird since I thought they wanted to push their Social Club solution like they do with Nuuvem.

Retail keys are Social Club keys.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What on earth is this DVD Drive you folks speak of? Is it one of those toys our grandparents used to play with like the hoop and stick?

Haha, I bought a BD-R drive a few years ago but didn't bother reinstalling it when I switched cases on Christmas. All I did BD-wise was rip my physical BD collection shortly after I bought the drive, however the backups didn't last long as I deleted them to make some space.

Maniac

Banned
Jim Sterling truly is a prophet :(

It's not hard to be in this situation, though. It's what EA does to all their studios at one point or another. They gut them, keep the IP, abandon new projects with said IP and, uh, recycle the trademarks for a shit DD platform.

:p
how subtle ....

Tbh, that looks great. Dat Icarus man. And it may not be subtle, but it looks very good and rather iconic... Now to get it in 1080p for a wallpaper, hnggh.
Spoken like a true maniac ;)

You know it
babe :*
Uhm, not sure about this new Deus Ex. I mean, trailer is very well done, but it was really needed? The preparation for Deus Ex 1 was done, basically, so Se could at least change main character, providing something new.
From what I see here, this Deus Ex will be a more of the same, with Adam haunted with the rest of augmented people, there will be a new faction, but really, it looks like a "filler".
It looks like filler because it's... Literally what it is. They've established a lot of what lead to the first Deus Ex, now they're filling in more of the gap.

As long as it's good filler it's not important, though.

My fear is that it wont be, and that it'll be as accidentally-good as HR was.

I mean, ofcourse they nailed a lot in that game, but gameplay wasn't really one of the things they properly nailed.

Wish Steam's library had a feature to sort by install size. The impulse factor of downloading and installing a game while I wait has a big impact on my playing habits lately. I've been in a bit of a funk lately, struggling to find something I want to play. Trying out lots of small games with replay value helps me find what I want.

edit. What I really need in my life is Donut County.

zkylon

zkylewd

Edit: oh for fuck's sake!! but mine has the cover pic, so pffffffffffffffffffffffff
that's a cool ass trailer

looks actiony but actiony trailers are cool so w/e

in spite of how disappointing is to have the same style with the same protagonist, i have good hopes for this one

"2016"

Cyberpunk 3776 keys now available for Groupees BAGB 8

Indiegala Hump day bundle

this hump day thing againt

keeps confoosing me

Jawmuncher

that's a cool ass trailer

looks actiony but actiony trailers are cool so w/e

in spite of how disappointing is to have the same style with the same protagonist, i have good hopes for this one

this hump day thing againt

keeps confoosing me

Only way I would have taken a new protagonist is if it had been a female character with just as cool shades.

dex3108

I will wait with GTA V activation with Key from Nuuvem until game releases. If everything is fine i will download game on release day if not i will probably gift key to fellow SteamGAF South American member via SteamBOT :D

Maniac

Banned
omg i didnt even think about that

that would've been great

fuck u se

Only way I would have taken a new protagonist is if it had been a female character with just as cool shades.

I would've loved a new protagonist, someone with a name that's not gender-specific so we could do like in Invisible War.

For all it's faults, letting you picking your character's gender really wasn't one of them.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Haha, I bought a BD-R drive a few years ago but didn't bother reinstalling it when I switched cases on Christmas. All I did BD-wise was rip my physical BD collection shortly after I bought the drive, however the backups didn't last long as I deleted them to make some space.
I just have my ps3 but I do want a bd player for my collection.

Jawmuncher

I would've loved a new protagonist, someone with a name that's not gender-specific so we could do like in Invisible War.

For all it's faults, letting you picking your character's gender really wasn't one of them.

I didn't even know you could choose a female protag in invisible war. That's cool.

BigAT

So if I were to jump into Deus Ex:HR now is the original (which I already own, but haven't played) a pretty solid version or is the Director's Cut the definite way to go?

DocSeuss

I came back from vacations last week, still haven't paid my credit card bills (which will require my entire last month's salary and more), had to exchange some of my savings in order to get some (local) money, and I'm still going to buy a complete copy of Pokemon HeartGold next week. So no, long live financial irresponsibility!

Seriously, I'm glad you were strong like that. Which game was it?

I wasn't strong. I literally have negative fifteen dollars in my bank account right now.

It would have been impossible to buy Lego Batman 3 and its Season Pass even if I wanted to.

Oh well.

I got something else.

h9euY7T.png

Returned from class to find a DM from Gamespot with an alpha code.

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah that was cute

can't really remember if alex had too much personality tho

i'd rather have a cool set-gender character than being able to select my own generic protagonist thing

like adam and jc were pretty great, in a very silly way, but still lovable goofs

so i booted up DX HR again. Stealth is the recommended way always right? cause is stocked up on Tranq Darts
yeah it's pretty boring as a fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom