• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm looking for a fun rpg less than $20 that I can kill some time with. Maybe a jrpg. I started hitting the discovery queue and it has a lot of junk in there now.

A few recommendations:
  • Secrets of Grindea - Early Access, but has a lot of content. Developers seem pretty active, and a lot of people really like it.
  • Disgaea PC - I've not personally played this, but it's well liked around here especially by some obsessive fans.
  • Final Fantasy VII - Obviously if you're looking for a JRPG and haven't played this, it's the obvious choice.
  • Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - Another great JRPG that seems to be a "love it or hate it" affair, but it's really long with complex characters.
  • Ys: Oath of Felghana - more of an action RPG, but easily one of the best games in a great series.

Annubis

Oh. Forgot about that. I own it actually. Put in a solid 10 hours. Might pick it up again.

Nice. I've played a lot of mount and blade. Will check out Kings bounty

Get Armored Princess and ignore all the other ones.
The other ones are either worst or broken.

Amzin

It's hard to tell U apart from V to be able to feed this into a substitution cipher program, but here's a first pass (retyped the words by hand, probably made mistakes, took text, fed it to a substitution cipher solver and giving it maximum flexibility to test alternate word boundaries)

Edit: Oh, it's just a caesar shift? Wow, lame.

The roman numerals were a cleaver way to throw off the simplicity it though, since at first glance you wouldn't expect repeating characters in that structure.

Saty

Regarding Modbot giveaway stipulations, i'm wondering if there could be a simple way to have a system-requirements rule or 'own previous game' for sequels.

For the latter i guess you can put a link to tour Steam profile and have Modbot scan if the profile owns a specific game?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Damnit, Janet.
Don't recommend me all these cool games with DS III around the corner!

I keep forgetting about Lords of Xulima. Looks awesome.

garath

Damn. Some good suggestions guys. I've played a lot of them but some new ones to look into.

Disgaea is one I totally forgot about. I really want it but to pay full price feels like sacrilege. Might be worth it to get the later entries on PC.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Regarding Modbot giveaway stipulations, i'm wondering if there could be a simple way to have a system-requirements rule or 'own previous game' for sequels.

For the latter i guess you can put a link to tour Steam profile and have Modbot scan if the profile owns a specific game?

We've talked about doing this before, but I think it requires too many variables that are outside of the scope of Modbot's murderous AI. In addition to having to input your Steam ID (most likely by Steam64, as your actual ID could change) you would have to have your profile set to public in order for your games list to be scanned. Additionally, there wouldn't be anything stopping someone from putting in someone else's Steam ID (like JaseC's, who presumably owns everything) or any other amount of fuckery that generally gets brought out of people when free stuff is on the line.

Overcoming all of that, Modbot would have to search and scan people's library for a "best guess" match (similar to what it does now for images) and disqualify potential winners based on that.

Theoretically it's possible, but I think it's more work than it's worth. Stump might weigh in more on the issue.

Hey Pepsimanvsjoe, are you at liberty to say if the Code of Princess port performs well? I know the faq claims as much, but a confirmation is always better (if you can say anything, that is).

It runs at a consistent 60 fps.

You *might* notice a very rare hiccup (such as when enemies spawn) but the frame-rate is miles better than the 3DS version.

Serpent In The Staglands

I can vouch for this game: http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/335120/
It's quite good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the FUCK?

Steam has video on demand rentals now? The Invitation is there to rent (which I want to watch bad actually)

zkylon

zkylewd
The reason people play CS:GO is because it's a rewarding shooter where the game gives you nothing. You earn your shit. No auto-aim, no free guns, no jetpacks, no killstreaks, no mechas. All the kills that go down is because you out smarted or out aimed the other dude.

Then you look at games like CoD, Battlefront or Titanfall and it's pretty easy to see why no one gives a fuck about them on PC. Handouts for everyone, you're all winners! It's like Bernie Sanders: The FPS.
ehhhh, dont wanna undermine what you're saying, but you're coming off pretty pc master race biased here

yes, obviously the kind of people that are driven towards a competitive game like counterstrike are gonna appreciate that stuff, but there's many factors here and a game being like 20 bucks vs 60 is a pretty big deal. like, mobas are free, so a crazy number of ppl play it regardless of them being impossibly obtuse things, price matters a shit ton.

and like, cod4 was super popular on pc, modern warfare 2 i was finding matches years later even with all the non dedicated servers crap, blops 1 wasn't dead last time i checked... "no one gives a fuck" is probably pretty inaccurate too? i don't have the numbers on me but i'd be surprised if the call of duty series isn't still pulling crazy sales and these are games that are sold for 60 bucks every freaking year. maybe not selling as well as they used to, and maybe worse than on console, but i'm pretty positive people give a fuck about call of duty on every platform, for better or worse lol

so no, i don't think cs go is popular because "you earn your shit", i think it's popular for the reasons i mentined before: it's a good game, it's cheap, it runs on everything, it's easy to get into, it's built on top of a license that's almost 20 years old and has always had an insane following, etc.

Nice. I've played a lot of mount and blade. Will check out Kings bounty
well they're not like similar games but they're both cheap and they're both games u can play them in "small progress" sessions. also they're both really good

there's some good suggestions above, tho i got from ur post that you wanted something a little less serious?

i would also recommend recettear if you haven't played it yet. it's imo the best non-final fantasy jrpg on steam, just a ton of personality and really fun to play

Tellaerin

Hope TITANFALL 2 has some form of Crossplay for PC so it doesn't die being stuck on Origin.

I misread that as "cosplay" and was like, o_O

In other news, I'm slightly bummed by my inability to create a good looking character in Dark Souls. I was going to use a pic of my character as my next avatar, but that's clearly not happening. >.>

zkylon

zkylewd
btw if u play king's bounty i'd recommend the legend since it's the most funny

you can marry a zombie or turn your wife into a frog, fun stuff like that

I misread that as "cosplay" and was like, o_O

In other news, I'm slightly bummed by my inability to create a good looking character in Dark Souls. I was going to use a pic of my character as my next avatar, but that's clearly not happening. >.>
every game deserves more cosplay

also dark souls 1 has pretty derpy faces but that's improved by like 1000x in dks2

dks2 is the true fashion souls cos everyone has the bone structure of a model

Personally I would advice against LoX. It has some nice environments, but it is pretty poorly balanced in a number of ways. Unless you play on easy, you can either look up guides for viable builds or look forward to wasted character slots, which makes the game near impossible, with one stat being basically mandatory for every level up, and looting is almost all vendor trash. Even after you raid the tomb of some long forgotten king, at best you get a trinket you can sell so that you can buy much better equipment from the shops. Mages also get extremely powerful the moment they get full AOE spells, and in my case my single mage often had a much higher DPS and kill-count than my tanks combined, in part due to the fact that abilities of the tanks often got rendered useless by monsters that had resistances or that were able to outright cure themselves of status effects.

And even worse, it feels very repetitive. The first half of the game is going from one basically identical town to the next, killing enemies that mostly feel the same except for the amount of hit-points, culminating in taking out a big bad in a mostly identical location, and then the second half of the game is the more of the same, but now going to a different basically identical set of locations taking another set of identical big bads. And it doesn't help that the story and (especially) the ending is dumb, dumb, dumb.

Also, something that might not matter to you, the Linux port / OpenGL version is extremely poorly optimized, to the extend that I got less than 1/10th the FPS under Linux / when forcing OpenGL compared running the DirectX version.

zkylon

zkylewd
you know, now that i think about it, league is kind of an rpg

and you already play league

so you don't have to change anything :>

dex3108

E3 is relatively close so are you guys and girls interested in E3 timetable with time, date and stream links? I made one last year so i can make it this year too if you want it :D This is how it looked last year:

This actually intrigues me very much!

I need something to play in the lengthening queues :(

It's a samurai choose your own adventure action game. It has some RPG elements (you level up your swords and learn skills and new moves) It's also kinda like a roguelike, because when you die you restart the game with the stuff you had. One of the greatest things about the WotS games is that you can get through them pretty quickly (there's more than 20 endings in WotS 3)

Give it a shot if that piqued your interest ;)

zkylon

zkylewd
Sorry Zky, that's not how it works, that's not how anything works.
but but but

I need something to play in the lengthening queues :(
super hexagon!

I remember when i played league and it had like 5 hour login qeues. Good ol' times.
it's not login times that's bad now, just matchmaking

they added a class matchmaking thing that you like pick two positions and it puts you in a game needing one of those and it just made queue times longer

it's kinda cool, tho pretty tough if you're like me and main mid ;_;

Arthea

Do we even know that there will be a PC related event this time during E3?

One Way Heroics is the epic JRPG for people too busy to play epic JRPGs.

Also, does anyone actually have impressions on Balrum? It sounds really cool, but I haven't heard a peep about it since it released.

But that's what Half Minute Hero is for!

hey now

there's millions of us

70 or so

so you're gross

it doesn't work like this either

Madn

Let's go

lKjuqUV.jpg

Actually I won't play till next weekend becasue I'm full of stuff to do :/
A friend of mine will abuse this to play it from my library

Teggy

What's a good, like, 5 hour game? I'm tag teaming Oblivion and Pillars of Eternity and I want to throw something in there that I will get to finish in the next month XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom