• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

You can import your library into howlongtobeat actually, if you make an account. I found it a pain in the ass to manage which game I'd beaten but you can do it, anyway.

Yeah, the problem is that is makes you categorize every game in your library in order to import - which means setting 1200+ pulldown menus.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Breach & Clear Deadline -- MB-9B3F5A58D88AD864 - Taken by TheAutomator
A Valley Without Wind 1 & 2 -- MB-941B94FFCBA88118 - Taken by mp1990
Cognition Game of the Year Edition -- MB-0961892C4421B30A - Taken by Regginator
The Silent Age -- MB-147A10970370E7FA - Taken by XShagrath

I can confirm that I am still absolute garbage at Souls games...lol

Had to restart a couple times because of losing my souls...second time I had to do it after the boss did a 3 hit combo that locked me into place and I couldn't do anything about it

I'm playing on Max settings and everything seems ok but occasionally I'll have some slight freezing when an item popup comes on the screen (least that's what I think is happening at the time)

What exactly was the price error?

apparently Dark Souls III was $0.79 on the Mexican Steam Store

When did they change DS3 system requirements?
It requires 970 for recommended now, it was 750 back then.

DS3 on Mexican Steam store. South America region lock.

I think it changed a couple weeks ago or so once the PC Requirements were listed on the Japanese DSIII site...they definitely never made an effort to say it changed (that I saw)

bbd23

Only issue is that it stutters every now and then for whatever reason. No issues other than that.

its a saving thing apparently but yeah other than that runs perfect for me

haven't encountered a crash yet.

my initial launch there was a very long white screen though that scared the hell out of me :D

zkylon

zkylewd
my only performance issues so far have been related to sudden small hitches when the game is saving in the background (i can tell because of the icon on the top right corner) and getting stuck at
firelink shrine
behind a fog gate right after porting to the bonfire while waiting for the rest of the level to load. it's kind of annoying cos i thought i had been invaded :T

tmarg

When did they change DS3 system requirements?
It requires 970 for recommended now, it was 750 back then.

DS3 on Mexican Steam store. South America region lock.

It's running at what I would consider perfectly acceptable levels at 1080p on my 7950, which certainly isn't a 970. I haven't even messed with any settings yet, I just wanted to get into it.

I think it changed a couple weeks ago or so once the PC Requirements were listed on the Japanese DSIII site...they definitely never made an effort to say it changed (that I saw)

Well, that's interesting.

I highly doubt a 750 is enough to run Dark Souls 3 at 60 fps 1080p.

They certainly thought so, hence the initial announcement.
My PC went from above recommended to below minimum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah...I skimmed the PC thread for Dark Souls III and I haven't had any of the crashing issues they have reported (I've used bonfires and fought enemies past the boss and no problems)

That stutter when saving (or I think occasionally when an item popup occurs) is the only thing I've noticed. I'm on the newest AMD driver (16.4.1) so I dunno if a new driver will fix that or if it'll be a game update that does it.

So on my FX 6300 3.5GHz, 8GB RAM and R9 270 2GB Dark Souls 3 runs between 35-57fps, usually around 40-45. This with most settings on High, except for Textures and Shader which are on Max, and Shadows and Blur which are on Medium. Not bad.

Anno

lol I'm so awful at these games. But I finally beat the first boss! Maybe 7 or 8 tries, which I feel is pretty good for these old bones. Still feels really good plunging in that final blow.

Also I think my choice of herald might not be the strongest out the gate.

lol I'm so awful at these games. But I finally beat the first boss! Maybe 7 or 8 tries, which I feel is pretty good for these old bones. Still feels really good plunging in that final blow.

Also I think my choice of herald might not be the strongest out the gate.

QkPdfCG.gif

20+ tries here...

Deprived is more than just a class, it's a way of life.

Anno

QkPdfCG.gif

20+ tries here...

Deprived is more than just a class, it's a way of life.

Yeah I want to try that out at some point, but I'm so bad right now I can't even imagine. Doesn't help I only use a controller for one or two games a year. Getting used to it all over again takes a bit.

Yeah I want to try that out at some point, but I'm so bad right now I can't even imagine. Doesn't help I only use a controller for one or two games a year. Getting used to it all over again takes a bit.

Getting used to a controller again does take a while, yeah. Dark Souls 1, 2, 3, and MGR: Revengeance are pretty much the only reason I use the thing.

I still can't decide if I want normal camera controls, inverted, or some mix of the two. I keep changing my mind... no recollection what I used previously and my muscle memory keeps betraying me, no matter the settings.
That video was taken down, Sad Affleck is no more

The thread on that is where the gif came from. It must live on!

Adry9

so... how is ds3 performing for all of you? it doesn't sound very promising.

If you can get to a rock solid 60, you are good, if you have a 7950 like me then unless you turn the settings to Low you are screwed. The game is having drops to 40fps constantly and locking it at 30 with RTSS feels awful, as if it were skipping frames.

Sarcasm

so... how is ds3 performing for all of you? it doesn't sound very promising.

60 FPS on I7 3770K and GTX670. Couple things maxed, few things high.

99% GPU usage while my CPU is at 20% usage.

One major gamebreaking bug for me is steam overlay doesn't work - but that isn't the issue. Even off a chat message most of the time minimized the game!

zkylon

zkylewd
went through the starting area again with an assassin

feels a lot stronger than the dual wielding mercenary guy

also on second inspection i found like a ton of cool stuff that i missed on my first run

gonna create a third character, this time one with a face i'll spend an hour on (aka make a kawaii girl) and that'll be the one for reals

rtcn63

If you can get to a rock solid 60, you are good, if you have a 7950 like me then unless you turn the settings to Low you are screwed. The game is having drops to 40fps constantly and locking it at 30 with RTSS feels awful, as if it were skipping frames.

There's no in-game vsync?

woah in my efforts to get NIS to notice me I was instead noticed by a senpai steam bot that tweets you every time time you tweet "notice me senpai". thats pretty neat

on topic: I've been meaning to get back to stardew valley but the time in that game is really bothering me, time goes by too quickly and i know theres a mod for it but i've been too lazy to go figure out how to install it (i want to get the mod that slows down time and freezes time when in doors)

NIS has yet to notice my efforts to save the prinnies if you're wondering

Dark Souls III. I'm in love. It feels different than DS2 much more like DS1. It's a new release as it gets, so I'm not gonna post any of my close to 200 screens but man, believe me when I say, this is gorgeous. A much more stunning start than DS2. Just in terms of visuals. Love the color tone.
All those hundreds of hours made me forget how darn vulnerable one is at the beginning. Without any good shield or knowledge of the area. It's great to re-learn walking.
I had only very infrequent stutters thankfully. Not sure what is different with me since friends with pretty much identical hardware are having a rough time with hitches. I installed the game on SSD. No overclocked CPU or GPU.
My progress so far (actual spoilers).
Beat the huge crystal lizard at the very beginning by chipping its HP veeery slooowly. Shame there was not much reward for it.
The first boss was fun to doge around until he transformed. Holy smokes! I had a tough time adapting. Took me 5 tries.
The katana wielding guy rekt me left and right though. Eating all my stamina with only 1-2 hits. Damn you!
The crestfallen soldier's voice is different than usual! That threw me off. The balcksmith from DS1 is back!? And so are the many memesque messages. Some made me genuinely laugh though, haha.
Luathric Tower (or how it is pronounced correctly) made my jaw drop. Dang these Souls games know how to impress with scale and style. It's so fun to carefully tread through unknown land. Sure I died stupid deaths but the transforming hollow on one of the roofs... oof. He is a royal pain.
Since it got very late already I decided to stop. But not before going at the second boss. Don't remember the name but its the huge, armored dog with a mace. Took me only 3 tries, yay. That was a fun fight. Adapting to its various patterns and attacks. These two early bosses are already great and I hope only a taste for what's to come.
Closed upon arriving at the Undead Settlement. For now, progress feels surprisingly linear without any choice where to go. That's normal but I wonder how the world is built this time. One piece like DaS or warp zones like DeS.
In short without spoilers. It's a blast for now.

lt519

Hey everyone! Cross posting from the April Indie Thread:

Fellow Gaffer HidingMyThunder put his game up on Steam Greenlight a few weeks ago and now has a playable build available for download for free.

The game is called elaine and is a minimalistic tile matching game set to fast pace music and a relentless timer. The core concept of the game is to match the incoming pattern, along with tile color, and make it back to the home square before the pattern reaches the grid. As the difficulty is increased multiple colors are introduced and other tricks are thrown your way. The game supports button remapping, multiple difficulties, and has a tutorial to get started. More game features are coming along the way.

You can download the current build through via a link through the Steam Greenlight page or right here at SlightSuperPowers.

Some choice gifs of it in action:

The Greenlight window has most likely past but he's interested in submitting to some smaller competitions so more feedback is much appreciated at this point! Thanks!

It's nigh on impossible for an actual game to find itself stuck in Greenlight these days. Valve's greenlit almost 400 titles in the past ~five weeks alone.

Wow, that's encouraging. I don't know anything about the process myself, I know he put it up in late March and interest has tapered since initially putting it up. Figured some people here might find it interesting enough to give a try, I find it pretty addicting. But right now it's more about getting feedback and improving as his first go at it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's nigh on impossible for an actual game to find itself stuck in Greenlight these days. Valve's greenlit almost 400 titles in the past ~five weeks alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom