• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

It would be great if it broke 1.5kk at summer sale.

I'm pretty sure it will hit that, seeing at it hasn't left top 5 on steam bestseller list for almost two months, only other game I remember being there for that long is GTAV.

I also have 170 hours in it and I'm not done yet. most worth 15€ purchase in my memory.

I bought Dank Souls 3 today.

I knew what's in the spoiler before checking it
my clairvoyance strikes again

Mivey

Here, not sure what podcast he is talking about, though.
Former Marvelous guy said on a podcast recently (after the success of Stardew Valley) that he had lobbied internally to get more of their stuff on Steam, but it never got much traction because he was the only one really pushing for it.

Also mentioned that Valve asked Marvelous to do a Steam version of Harvest Moon, apparently Valve was trying to court Japanese developers to get more Japanese games on Steam. Marvelous wasn't interested in it.

Not sure if I should mention the podcast (not sure if he was allowed to be saying that), but it was a former guest on the 8-4 play podcast.

Tenrius

Tried family sharing Dark Souls III (thanks, Shade!) to see how it would work on my laptop and it essentially doesn't. The main menu worked, but the game crashed when I got to the character creation screen, citing insuffiicient memory. I then set everything to low and switched to 720p (the game defaulted to high and the native 1080p for some reason) which allowed me to watch the opening cutscene and walk a few steps at 11-20 FPS (depending where I looked). The game got minimized a few times during the process saying I have insufficient memory again and prompting me to close something in order to continue my session. I ignored, started the game back up walked towards the person at the very beginning and my system just froze completely, forcing me to perform a hard reset.

darksouls_610.jpg

Is it RAM or video memory? I have a laptop with 8 Gb Ram and a 4 Gb GeForce 750M. Peculiarly enough, it allowed me to play The Witcher 3 more or less comfortably for 60+ hours (
15 FPS heaven
). I did expect DSIII to have a low framerate (and it's very important, unlike TW3, so I didn't really intend to play it like this), but not working at all is a first.

edit: Edited the amount of video RAM above. It's 4 Gb, not 1.

Arthea

Why do so many people like to pretend to farm? That's weird.
I assume you are talking about Stardew Valley?
It's not about farming.
It is a farm sim, but to say that it's a farming game would be severe oversimplifying. It is a farm sim, time managing game, fishing game, mining and killing monsters game, socializing sim, deforesting lands sim, foraging and exploring game etc.
Meaning the best part of it is not farming, but how many things are there to do and never enough time for it.
For example in my first year I mostly fished, in second I mostly farmed and cared for farm animals, in third I did mostly socializing and combat, etc. Its also massive collectathon.

Tenrius

Hey guys, Demon Souls has been ported to Android:

They've made some tweaks though. Now it's even better!

Soul of Android, key to life's ether.
Soul of iOS, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

Teggy

I assume you are talking about Stardew Valley?
It's not about farming.
It is a farm sim, but to say that it's a farming game would be severe oversimplifying. It is a farm sim, time managing game, fishing game, mining and killing monsters game, socializing sim, deforesting lands sim, foraging and exploring game etc.
Meaning the best part of it is not farming, but how many things are there to do and never enough time for it.
For example in my first year I mostly fished, in second I mostly farmed and cared for farm animals, in third I did mostly socializing and combat, etc. Its also massive collectathon.

I guess that sounds somewhat better. Although I guess you can also fish, socialize, deforest and kill monsters in real life.

But I am told the game never ends, right? That's not really my thing. But cool that people like it and that guy is making lots of money.

I would like to know the science behind game preference though. Like why people like to play truck driving sims and getting your truck stuck in the mud sims.

Knurek

Ne, Arthea, ne, after 45 hours I'm done with Mario Picross 2.

Should I do Squarecells, Unium or Quell next? Or do you have anything else in mind?

Teggy

Unless you're killing other locals you aren't that violent.

But killing monsters!

So I think I am going to have to give in and give Souls an honest try sometime this year so I can at least know once and for all it is not for me. But not for a while, too many other games going on. I will start with Demons' Souls, so in case I like it I can play in order.

Arthea

I guess that sounds somewhat better. Although I guess you can also fish, socialize, deforest and kill monsters in real life.

But I am told the game never ends, right? That's not really my thing. But cool that people like it and that guy is making lots of money.

I would like to know the science behind game preference though. Like why people like to play truck driving sims and getting your truck stuck in the mud sims.

it has an ending as such if anyone ever wants it to to end for some twisted reason,
you also can repeat said ending if you failed later
, but such games aren't exactly about ending, but playing until you've done what you want to do in it, or until you get bored and had enough of it, that kind of thing.

edited: what I mean, you can play it after said end indefinitely.

Ne, Arthea, ne, after 45 hours I'm done with Mario Picross 2.

Should I do Squarecells, Unium or Quell next? Or do you have anything else in mind?

Unium is sweet but very uneven, some levels are incredibly easy throughout all the game, Squarecells is great as usual at making you reason your way through it, it's also kinda Picross with a twist, Quell is relaxing and pretty, take your pick, all three are worthy for different reasons.

Unless you're killing other locals you aren't that violent.

damn muncher, you can't just kill harmless farmers and artisans, who will feed and dress you?!

Gunpoint and Not A Hero are really interesting games on different sides of the 2D action spectrum.

Gunpoint is a very interesting hybrid of 2D stealth/action game. The game oozes with class, which combined with the stealth/hacking gameplay, makes it rather noteworthy game to play on a lark. I traditionally hate stealth gameplay because it makes me uneasy and more susceptible to fucking up and getting my ass killed ( a la the oxbox Splinter Cell and the older Thief series.) With the fact in mind, I generally stay away from stealth centric games like Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid* like the damn plague. But Gunpoint is way more forgiving in terms of restarting when your character gets killed. The stealth mechanic is super easy for me to cope with and play along with and in general contributes to more easier tone and general feeling of fun to the game. The main gameplay mechanics of the stealth in the game, are darkness and staying out of sight (which is the gameplay factor for all stealth games.) Getting a room to go dark is relatively easygoing in terms of hacking gameplay, just press left ALT and rewire the light switch to re/de activate lights or electronic door lock on one floor or just rewire the next floor's lights. It also helps that the guards don't look up when you're on the ceiling. I find it weird that guards don't look up because if you're guarding valuable, you would full 360 view of the room of you in. Nitpicking aside, i'am not that far ahead in the game
I'am helping a young woman who was framed her friend's murder and discovering that Rooke CEO maybe a little bit more crooked then i though at first.
it is not that complicated of a storyline so far, but I can follow it alright.

FWIW: just because it looks like a stealth game for idiots, it doesn't necessarily hamper my enjoyment of it, so far.

Not A Hero, from Roll7 and Devolver, was made for people like me, who grew up on the dumb spectacle of 90's action movie. The fact that this game avoids trying to be cinematic and embraces being a dumb action spectacle of a video game. I personally found that the writing to be hilarious but ham handed for political satire. In a way, BunnyLord reminds me of Trump in a way. But I can kinda relate to BunnyLord in a weird way. But like Trump, Bunny Lord tends to overstate on why he needs to win the election/dire results of him failing to win the election. Gameplay wise, I found it way more interesting to slide side to side and doing bloody executions on some gun toting goons. The conversation exchanges between you and the goons you kill reminds me of what you would orobably hear in an average Guy Richie action film. While Not A Hero is a satire of action games like CoD, I did feel that the regenerating health kinda hurts it a bit because it encourages you to play a little bit more recklessly then i would like to normally. But I feel like having your characters legs getting broken because you didn't immediate fall through a window and restart the mission again negates that.

FWIW: I'am 3 or 4 missions into the game and I feel the variety of playable character plus the bombs you get from the dead goons would kinda negate how samey the environment will feel later on. It's a good palette cleanser in case you just finished a large game like Fallout 4 or whatever large unwieldy AAA game is popular right now.

Arthea

BTW, Wishmaster is kinda bad, in buggy way bad, in case anybody is wondering. It's also sorta roguelikeverylite, which is not obvious at all.

Here, not sure what podcast he is talking about, though.

Lol. It's even more funny that this post was an answer to an older post of mine :p
Well, some Japanese publishers will never learn :p
You'd think SEGA would take note of Valkyria Chronicle success on Steam... but no :p

Hey guys, Demon Souls has been ported to Android:

They've made some tweaks though. Now it's even better!

Its actually sad that all those retro "JRPGs" on Android and iOS are still far better than the RPG Maker Junk we get on Steam every week.

(Some of the games I played on iOS were actually pretty good and reminded me of SNES JRPGs).

First impressions:

The game feels more like BB x DeS, rather than Dark Souls. Not that that is a bad thing.
That
Resident Evil like
moment was amazing.
Designwise this game is already top notch and 'll buy the artbook.
Runs with 60FPS, but some severe hick ups every now and then.

Is From serious about that?

(Spoilers from first real area)

That's even worse than DSII's trees, lol
I came across the same area and thought the same lol. But to me it was more a sign that I'll not find a way or open a gate to that area rather than "lol bad graphics". It's a stunning game.
Tried family sharing Dark Souls III (thanks, Shade!) to see how it would work on my laptop and it essentially doesn't. The main menu worked, but the game crashed when I got to the character creation screen, citing insuffiicient memory. I then set everything to low and switched to 720p (the game defaulted to high and the native 1080p for some reason) which allowed me to watch the opening cutscene and walk a few steps at 11-20 FPS (depending where I looked). The game got minimized a few times during the process saying I have insufficient memory again and prompting me to close something in order to continue my session. I ignored, started the game back up walked towards the person at the very beginning and my system just froze completely, forcing me to perform a hard reset.

Is it RAM or video memory? I have a laptop with 8 Gb Ram and a 4 Gb GeForce 750M. Peculiarly enough, it allowed me to play The Witcher 3 more or less comfortably for 60+ hours (
15 FPS heaven
). I did expect DSIII to have a low framerate (and it's very important, unlike TW3, so I didn't really intend to play it like this), but not working at all is a first.

edit: Edited the amount of video RAM above. It's 4 Gb, not 1.
I was about to say, 8GB of RAM should not be the issue. I remember reading DS3 benefiting a lot from CPU, so maybe your laptop's one is most likely the issue.

Anteater

Almost done with Rage I think, just the DLC and one mission left. It's pretty fun, although it's getting a bit tiresome near the end, but it's an issue I have with fps in general, I get bored of them usually around half way through, another example was Bioshock where the game felt like it just keeps going.

Low resolution textures aside, the game has a really strong art direction and looks really pretty.

by the last couple of hours of RAGE i ended up sprinting through the stages just to get it over with.

Then, I looked at my phone when the ending played and I missed the whole thing.

It really shits the bed in the last hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom