• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I didn't even recognized you at first. Your Avatar is not anime enough.
my avatars aren't really anime, they're just random league art that reflects my mood

often my mood is pretty yayish so they end up being kind of anime but i've done really varied stuff actually

gotta look for the red streak!

Madn

What's the consensus on the Deathinitive edition of Darksiders 2? I remember there was some backlash when it came out, but i'm kinda tempted for 3€... On the other hand I've yet to start Darksiders 1 and Dark Souls 3 just came out....

Lomax

Woof. Aren't humblebundle BTAs supposed to start going down after a certain point?

Right now it's going up every few seconds.

They only go down if there's more demand for the $1 tier than the other tiers. I'd bet by the end of the two weeks, the average will be at $11+ because most people who are lacking some of these games will just be buying the $12 tier anyway and at a certain point the BTA won't be worth getting on its own.

Pretty freaking amazing bundle really though, for anyone who missed out on the build your own deal a while back.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Walking Dead Season One -- MB-7E382E541CCC15C9 - Taken by roadrunn3r. 3 entrants total.
Puzzle Agent -- MB-1122A322AECAE3A9 - Taken by Delicious Waffles. 1 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-A5D2000FD65C8B38 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.

t1460491894z1.png

mp1990

Banned
Not sure if I'll bother grabbing the TT bundle. Aside from Tales Of The Borderlands, which I already own, the only game I'm mildly interested in it is Sam & Max, and I'm not even sure if that one is worth $7. Loved my time with the first season of TWD, but their formula worn off pretty fast.

Valve blocks competitor's app from Steam
After receiving a message from Valve, the creators of Itch.io reported today that their app has been rejected from Steam Greenlight. "This item is incompatible with Greenlight," reads a header at the top of Itch's Greenlight page. Separately, Itch.io shared a private message that Valve sent them where a representative says that Steam simply isn't equipped to handle that type of non-game software.

Grief.exe

Yeah I bought it despite the bad reviews. It seems like a price error to me but eh.

What's the consensus on the Deathinitive edition of Darksiders 2? I remember there was some backlash when it came out, but i'm kinda tempted for 3€... On the other hand I've yet to start Darksiders 1 and Dark Souls 3 just came out....

I think the bad reviews for Darksiders II Definitive was due to the pricing structure initially put in place by the publisher. Something about how they couldn't detect some form of DLCthat should have gotten a larger day one discount.

Jawmuncher

Not sure if I'll bother grabbing the TT bundle, already own Tales Of The Borderlands, and the only game I'm mildly interested in it is Sam & Max, and I'm not even sure if that one is worth $7. Loved my time with the first season of TWD, but their formula worn off pretty fast.

Sam and Max is in the dollar tier though

Ryne

Stories: The Path of Destinies looks quite interesting.
header.jpg

Anyone here grabbed it and gave it a spin?

Well I went ahead and bought it. For those who care, the graphic options in-game are "Low", "Medium" and "High", and you can only go to a resolution of 1920*1080.

I'll post later with some impressions.
Quoting myself again.

The game is decent, not a bad game at all. Despite the lack of graphic options and resolution options, the game looks good and is fluid (I'm running a 980Ti with a 4.4 ghz i7 2600K). I believe the game would run well on lower end computers, but as stated before you don't really have all those scalability options we are used to on PC.

As for the game itself, it plays like most isometric action RPGs. You have an attack button, and throughout the game you slowly unlock more abilities your character conveniently forgot like grappling, countering, and dodging. At first the character is a bit squishy, can't take too many hits, but with each unlock you get more moves that helps you dodge and counter attacks. The enemies I faced so far were pretty simplistic in their attacks, and they telegraph everything with a little "!" above their heads, which helps with the countering mechanic. To counter, you press the analog stick in the direction of the attacker and press the attack button, so you can basically parry everything if you time it right, which does a great deal of damage and stuns the enemy.

I think there are two big draws here: the narration, and the way choices are handled in game.

First, there is a Bastion-like narrator. He's not as good as the Bastion narrator, but he does tell the story in a storybook type of way. I'm a fan of narration, even when he starts talking about random crap you are doing in the game, like smashing boxes. I haven't gone too far yet in the game to hear him act any other way.

Second, choices are handled currently in a choose-your-own-adventure way. Basically, you finish one chapter, then are given two options (so far) of the path you want to take. Choosing a path means you lose access to the other path (for example, right at the beginning of the game
you have the option of choosing either to save a friend or go after a piece of the ancient, god killing sword. I chose to go after the friend, which meant I lost the first piece of the sword, but there were another choice where I can go gather another piece of it or go on a different path
). However looking at the steam page for the game, I think there may be another mechanic I haven't got to yet.

My gripes are few. The game currently plays like a generic action RPG, but I'm still early in and will not hold that against it. It is satisfying to counter enemy after enemy while they are surrounding you though. Another gripe is that the load times seem fairly long. I waited about 30 seconds to get into the first field before I actually got to start playing, which I felt was odd - maybe it is gathering all the unreal engine 4 assets, I'm not sure. My last issue is that the game feels too zoomed out, that the FOV is too large - the character is absolutely tiny compared to the surrounding environment, which due to the lack of graphic options cannot be changed.

This game is right up my alley though, with the story-telling, choices, and gameplay; it's a gem IMO. However I do find that this is a game that will be lost with other high profile games being launched at the same time. Hopefully it does well.

Lain

Quoting myself again.

The game is decent, not a bad game at all. Despite the lack of graphic options and resolution options, the game looks good and is fluid (I'm running a 980Ti with a 4.4 ghz i7 2600K). I believe the game would run well on lower end computers, but as stated before you don't really have all those scalability options we are used to on PC.

As for the game itself, it plays like most isometric action RPGs. You have an attack button, and throughout the game you slowly unlock more abilities your character conveniently forgot like grappling, countering, and dodging. At first the character is a bit squishy, can't take too many hits, but with each unlock you get more moves that helps you dodge and counter attacks. The enemies I faced so far were pretty simplistic in their attacks, and they telegraph everything with a little "!" above their heads, which helps with the countering mechanic. To counter, you press the analog stick in the direction of the attacker and press the attack button, so you can basically parry everything if you time it right, which does a great deal of damage and stuns the enemy.

I think there are two big draws here: the narration, and the way choices are handled in game.

First, there is a Bastion-like narrator. He's not as good as the Bastion narrator, but he does tell the story in a storybook type of way. I'm a fan of narration, even when he starts talking about random crap you are doing in the game, like smashing boxes. I haven't gone too far yet in the game to hear him act any other way.

Second, choices are handled currently in a choose-your-own-adventure way. Basically, you finish one chapter, then are given two options (so far) of the path you want to take. Choosing a path means you lose access to the other path (for example, right at the beginning of the game
you have the option of choosing either to save a friend or go after a piece of the ancient, god killing sword. I chose to go after the friend, which meant I lost the first piece of the sword, but there were another choice where I can go gather another piece of it or go on a different path
). However looking at the steam page for the game, I think there may be another mechanic I haven't got to yet.

My gripes are few. The game currently plays like a generic action RPG, but I'm still early in and will not hold that against it. It is satisfying to counter enemy after enemy while they are surrounding you though. Another gripe is that the load times seem fairly long. I waited about 30 seconds to get into the first field before I actually got to start playing, which I felt was odd - maybe it is gathering all the unreal engine 4 assets, I'm not sure. My last issue is that the game feels too zoomed out, that the FOV is too large - the character is absolutely tiny compared to the surrounding environment, which due to the lack of graphic options cannot be changed.

This game is right up my alley though, with the story-telling, choices, and gameplay; it's a gem IMO. However I do find that this is a game that will be lost with other high profile games being launched at the same time. Hopefully it does well.

Nice impressions, thanks a bunch.

zkylon

zkylewd
so tell me gaf,how good is dark souls 3 ?
more like dark souls 1 or more like dark souls 2?
definitely more like dark 1, tho it has dark 2 and demons influences. not sure about bloodborne since i haven't played it, but it feels like a mix of those three at least

and so far i'm not liking it as much as dark 1 but i'm still liking it a lot. the world has been a bit "linear" so far in that i only have one place to go and then you find a bonfire that teleports you to a new place and so on. it feels kinda weird since it's not like these places are impossibly far from each other, but it just doesn't have the interconnected feeling from dks1 that i loved so much

Majukun

definitely more like dark 1, tho it has dark 2 and demons influences. not sure about bloodborne since i haven't played it, but it feels like a mix of those three at least

and so far i'm not liking it as much as dark 1 but i'm still liking it a lot. the world has been a bit "linear" so far in that i only have one place to go and then you find a bonfire that teleports you to a new place and so on. it feels kinda weird since it's not like these places are impossibly far from each other, but it just doesn't have the interconnected feeling from dks1 that i loved so much
I need The Benz!

So far there's a lot of Dark, Dark 2 and Demon's in there.

mix bag so huh...i might wait on this one..thank you guys

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Resonance -- MB-8D54F13541C954EF - Taken by Saty

wadjeteye goodness

zkylon

zkylewd
mix bag so huh...i might wait on this one..thank you guys

btw wanna clarify

there's been a bunch of locked doors everywhere that might lead to crazy new places and there's probably a ton of stuff i missed

but it feels more directed in that there's like only one place i can go so far

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so they arent counting deluxe editions as seperate anymore in the top sellers? good

derExperte

Slain! Patch Plan

Hi peeps. Sorry for radio silence! We have been interviewing for a programmer and did not want to start talking solid plans before we had found our programmer and he could confirm exactly what is achievable in given time frames.

Obviously there were some major troubles towards the end of development, and given the amount of slippages there had already been , we (wrongly) decided the right idea would be to ship and patch fast based on feedback, but then we lost our programmer...in hindsight Early Access would've been the way to go. Again, we spoke about this internally but (wrongly) decided against it.

We are a new team and have learnt an awful lot throughout this process, and its really sad that our learnings came at the price of your confidence in our ability and our image. But after 10-12 weeks Slain! will be the product we all hoped it would be first time round.

Below is an outline of the first patch...we are aiming to deliver this within 5 weeks. Depending on how smoothly this goes...we will then outline Patch 2 and take some thoughts/suggestions from you! Patch 2 focused on playability rather than functionality and should be delivered within 6-8 weeks from delivery of patch 1.

Patch 1

Fix keyboard input lag.

A controls diagram for joypad and keyboard in the options menu (changes depending on the currently connected joypad).

2 key layouts to choose from for the keyboard and each joypad. Joypad users will be able to choose whether to use the control stick or d-pad.

A more detailed control tutorial plus less vague combat hints.

Saving player progress at checkpoints, plus fixing any other bugs related to saving.

Menu option to quit back to HUB on levels that have been passed (appears after completing Bloodgrounds).

Saving symbol when game is saving.

Fix checkpoint bug and any other bugs that turn up.

New level transition art.

New font.

Improved tutorial.

Improve dialogue / script.

Fix SFX volume.

Cross fading from one scene to the next.

New SFX

DocSeuss

Hey, guys, if I buy, say, Metro: Last Light, I get it automatically for any platform it would be on, right? PC, Mac, SteamOS, that kind of thing? This true for most/all games, right?

How can I tell what SteamOS games I own?

Hey, guys, if I buy, say, Metro: Last Light, I get it automatically for any platform it would be on, right? PC, Mac, SteamOS, that kind of thing? This true for most/all games, right?
For most games, that is indeed the case, though they might not support all major operating systems (e.g. only OSX and Windows, but not Linux). Just look by the "Add to Cart" button, and there'll be icons for the operating systems supported. In the case of LL, that does include Windows, Linux, and OSX.

When logged in under Linux, you'll have a "SteamOS" entry in the library drop-down menu (next to the search bar), which shows you only those games supported under Linux, similarly to when you run the client under OSX. I am not aware of a way to do this via the website, however.

madjoki

I believe all games are SteamPlay that have Linux/SteamOS version. There's one expection for Mac (Call of Duty Black Ops 2 iirc.)

To view owned games, login to SteamDB and use this page is probably easiest way.

DocSeuss

Ucchedavāda;200813450 said:
For most games, that is indeed the case, though they might not support all major operating systems (e.g. only OSX and Windows, but not Linux). Just look by the "Add to Cart" button, and there'll be icons for the operating systems supported. In the case of LL, that does include Windows, Linux, and OSX.

When logged in under Linux, you'll have a "SteamOS" entry in the library drop-down menu (next to the search bar), which shows you only those games supported under Linux, similarly to when you run the client under OSX. I am not aware of a way to do this via the website, however.

I believe all games are SteamPlay that have Linux/SteamOS version. There's one expection for Mac (Call of Duty Black Ops 2 iirc.)

To view owned games, login to SteamDB and use this page is probably easiest way.

Thanks, ya'll. I'm researching this stuff for an article. Don't have a SteamOS machine myself.

Any known cases of games that must be purchased separately per OS?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think I have all the games in the Telltale bundle, even for the $12 tier, very good bundle if you're into their stuff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom