• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

My face during the
Abyss Watchers
boss fight in Dark Souls 3.

tumblr_n8tqcqPhPB1thowlgo1_250.gif

Wow did FROM nail it. Easily one of my most favorite in the series.

rtcn63

the battery life and the peeling sticks are a real bummer though.

Especially coming off the steam controller which lasts me like 80 hours on a pair of AAs whereas my PS4 pad has like 6 hours of life at the most

The newer DS4's supposedly don't peel, I bought mine as part of the Destiny bundle for last year and they've held up.

Valve said they're making a slightly smaller/stubby-finger friendly Steam controller right? That should be interesting. SC + your preferred console pad to cover all your couch needs.

zkylon

zkylewd
Rechargeable AAs are cheap.

But get whatever fits your functional and comfort needs.

not here

i'm already looking at like 80 bucks for the controller, don't wanna have to add like another 20 to buy batteries and a charger

It is but you will have to use software for it. Only some games have native DS4 Dinput like Transistor and I think Grim Fandango
like software on a per-game basis or like install ps4 controller drivers and forget?

Dammit, even after 3 games (De, DkS, DkS2 and the DLCs) there's still no game that can match Dark Souls for me. I had to grind 4 levels to get a bit better stats, but the feel when you use your instincts to navigate to some direction despite having tons of souls and no flasks and finding a shortcut back home just cannot be beat.
yeah

the level design also seems to be designed to really push the limits of how long you can go without a bonfire, it's always right there when you're at your wit's end, zero flasks, 12k souls, homeward bone in hand, ready to take the coward's way out and do it all again now that you've killed the non-respawning mini boss enemies. and as you turn around the corner, there it is, your well-deserved reward, a bonfire

it's amazing how good they've gotten at delivering that moment over and over again

Knurek

Hyperbolic stuff like this is why I find it hard to take controller recommendations.

Yeah, it's not like the XBONE controller gives you cancer.
Just makes it so you start hating 2D games.
Which is worse than cancer

like software on a per-game basis or like install ps4 controller drivers and forget?

Both actually.
You can just install DS4Windows and forget about it.
Or you can have a per-game profile, with touchpad macros, custom binding, etc.
Something the X360/X1 pads don't really allow.

Some day, a young and up-and-comer at From will stop everyone during a design meeting and ask the following: "How about we don't do a shitty poison level this time and just see how it goes?"

That man will lead Japan to a new golden age

Jawmuncher

not here

i'm already looking at like 80 bucks for the controller, don't wanna have to add like another 20 to buy batteries and a charger

yeah

the level design also seems to be designed to really push the limits of how long you can go without a bonfire, it's always right there when you're at your wit's end, zero flasks, 12k souls, homeward bone in hand, ready to take the coward's way out and do it all again now that you've killed the non-respawning mini boss enemies. and as you turn around the corner, there it is, your well-deserved reward, a bonfire

it's amazing how good they've gotten at delivering that moment over and over again

For the most part it's install and forget, though sometimes you have to mess with it. But it's usually nothing more than checking it unchecking a box

zkylon

zkylewd
Both actually.
You can just install DS4Windows and forget about it.
Or you can have a per-game profile, with touchpad macros, custom binding, etc.
Something the X360/X1 pads don't really allow.
For the most part it's install and forget, though sometimes you have to mess with it. But it's usually nothing more than checking it unchecking a box
that sounds pretty good

and it's like usb charged like the ps3 controller, right?

honestly idk if i'm gonna buy it soon, i probably have to buy a new motherboard and a new case and idk if buying a new motherboard means i need a new cpu and ram and whatnot

also since i got that free win10 thingie idk if changing my motherboard will kick me back to win8

if someone made a console that can run photoshop and flashdevelop i'd be so happy

Saty

Dunno. Official site is hardly updated: http://reset-game.net/

I like how the only post from this year is an April's Fools gag. Like surely if you have time for that you have time to sit down and write a detailed progress report. Game also had a successful IndieGoGo campaign if i recall correctly.

Nah, Nabs spiel on it painted it as something I would never use. When I went to go pick it up I got to try out some mechanical keyboards though and the G720 feels nice so I'd probably get that over a Steam controller.

it does take some getting used to. i actually still connect my ds4 sometimes and use that instead when i don't feel like a config is all that comfortable and don't feel like dabbling around in the settings

madjoki

0.06 - M̱̱᷉i̱̱͚̱̚s̱̞̱ṯ̱̓e̱͏̱ṟ̫̱Glitch: » New Gleam Reward: 90000 x Free Rage Parking Simulator 2016 Steam keys - 3 of 3 actions required - Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/449630/ - https://gleam.io/wEmHO/free-parking-simulator-steam-keys

Free game, not too many actions either.

And another:

0.06 - M̱̱᷉i̱̱͚̱̚s̱̞̱ṯ̱̓e̱͏̱ṟ̫̱Glitch: » New Gleam Reward: 9933 x Huge Variety Pack Giveaway! - 5 of 6 actions required - https://gleam.io/pOp4g/huge-variety-pack-giveaway

Knurek

that sounds pretty good

and it's like usb charged like the ps3 controller, right?

Yea, you can keep it wired with a USB-microUSB cable or just unplug it and use BT if you have a supported stack (Win10 default one and... Toshiba IIRC).
Full charge does work for... dunno, 4-6 hours, depending on lightbar/rumble settings, which can be a bother. Maybe PS4k will get DS4k with improved battery life, we'll see...

So 20 hours into the "early access" release of Tree of Savior MMO (the free-to-play servers arrive in a few weeks), and... I actually kind of dig it.

I'd never played Ragnarok Online, but FF-Tactics inspired characters in a relatively pretty watercolor-style world, with sort of Diablo-inspired action had me intruigued. The 70-something classes thing got me hooked; you basically start as one of four "main" classes (Swordsman, Cleric, Archer, Mage). But in addition to your character level going up, your "class" level goes up and every 15 levels you can specialize into a sub-class or deepen your current subclass.

So you might do something like Archer 1 - Archer 2 - Ranger 1 - Fletcher - Falconer 1 - Falconer 2 - Musketeer. And you'll end up with a totally different batch of skills and role in a squad compared to someone who took a different path down the class tree.

It's definitely got it's fair share of Korean MMO jank, and i'm not sure if the endgame content is going to be compelling, but so far I dig it.

cyba89

So I finally managed to install Quantum Break and now this game doesn't recognize my 360 controller -.-*
Really fun first experience with this Win10 app stuff.

edit:
Well, it works with DS4 and input mapper, but I'm getting graphical glitches all over the place right from the beginning.
Back to Dark Souls...

Teggy

PS4 was going to be my primary console this gen until I used the DS4. The triggers are way too stiff IMHO and I find it very difficult to use for shooters. The resistance twists the controller in my hands and also tire out my fingers. I know a lot of people love it, but it was a big disappointment for me. I love the 360 and xbone controllers and will always recommend them highly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Advent Rising is on Steam, so is Mark Eko's Contents Under Pressure as well.

I have both in my Steam library for various stupid reasons and I will never play either of them.

So is DMC 3 and Onimusha 3 as well, but there's no Steam cheevos for either of them.

lol no Xbox 360 controller on any of them.

Steam sales make me do dumb things for no good reason.

I'd recommend deleting them off your account.

kagamin

Advent Rising is on Steam, so is Mark Eko's Contents Under Pressure as well.

I have both in my Steam library for various stupid reasons and I will never play either of them.

So is DMC 3 and Onimusha 3 as well, but there's no Steam cheevos for either of them.

lol no Xbox 360 controller on any of them.

Steam sales make me do dumb things for no good reason.

I wish I had Onimusha 3 on Steam ;-;

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
FFS PayPal aren't letting me send payments for some reason

How am I expected to buy more games for my backlog? Hmm....HOW?

I think it's just dirty or broken

its only a cheap mouse from ebay, was using it to tide me over until I get my rig sorted. Probably get a logitech then
I took apart my mouse today and it was surprisingly painless. The hardest part was replacing the sticky feet on the base! They're really simple electronics inside. I was a little put off because my mouse cost thrice the price of my previous Intellimouse. It just had a few hairs and a little dirt. Gave it a wash and it's feeling great and registering clicks like it used to.

Only part that looked risky to me was taking the shell away from the buttons. It was attached with 3 firm, brittle feeling clips. I just knew if I tried they might snap. So I just left that tiny bit of dirt for next time.

How's the dpad on the Xbone controller? Thinking about upgrading my 360 pad.
Such a subjective thing. Can't you just go to a local game store and try the demo unit?

e. FWIW I liked it but the shoulder buttons just didn't feel good to me. They've allegedly improved them but not the shape (which was my issue)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Alright did a session of Dark Souls 3 with the controller and it seems pretty solid! I think I'll use it as my primary PC controller for now so I can just have my DS4 hooked to the PS4 without any fiddling.

Far Cry Primal's 4K texture pack doesn't look that much better than the high setting. I wish it did.

I'll have to dig into survival mode, that's a change that I'm more interested in.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I took apart my mouse today and it was surprisingly painless. The hardest part was replacing the sticky feet on the base! They're really simple electronics inside. I was a little put off because my mouse cost thrice the price of my previous Intellimouse. It just had a few hairs and a little dirt. Gave it a wash and it's feeling great and registering clicks like it used to.

Only part that looked risky to me was taking the shell away from the buttons. It was attached with 3 firm, brittle feeling clips. I just knew if I tried they might snap. So I just left that tiny bit of dirt for next time.

Might risk it with mine.

Anyone here try the reddit mobile app? I got three months free reddit gold

Backlogger

Far Cry Primal's 4K texture pack doesn't look that much better than the high setting. I wish it did.

I'll have to dig into survival mode, that's a change that I'm more interested in.

What kind of hardware do you have? I find this game is hard to get good performance out of at 1440p, I can't imagine trying to push 4K textures.

The region-lock imposed on games bought in cheaper regions only applies to gift copies and only if there's a mismatch between the purchase region and the "home region" of the account activating the gifts. If you bought something for yourself, it wouldn't be region-locked, unless the sub itself is region-locked.

I see. Right, and IX is not region-locked.

Apparently Stardew Valley just passed 1 mln sales.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/13/11423844/stardew-valley-sales-one-million-copies

edited: not that I like linking a polygon article, but that's where it was reported.

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom