• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
EhUlwqF.gif

PS4 is a beast.

Kaleinc

Banned
Sony would achieve something with ps4k if its new gpu had 16gb vram. Oh, and that achievement would be mainly 980ti owners' salt.

Arthea

"I am jumping out of gaming because I don't want to pay for hardware more often than every 7-10 years because reasons"

but this one actually makes sense! If you don't buy expensive games and a cheap console and keep it until it's supported, it is a cheap way to game.
Or I misunderstood this post, what I mean, reasons are pretty obvious.
Don't you know people that buy the last game console when new gen starts, with bulk of cheap games and are set for years? You don't need to go console this way, you can go cheap PC this way, but it's essentially the same way, living one gen (at least 5 years if PC is concerned) behind. Now if a console life span shortens and it is supported for shorter time and has less games, I can see someone not liking it quite easily.

unrelated edit:
Pyre looks mighty nice!

unrelated edit2:
and music is good as usual.

The trailer doesn't give much hope for that, the song was dreadful

*sigh

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Didn't like their previous games and this looks like something I won't like either.

not to join in on the Supergiant games hate parade, but yeah. Their games LOOK like something I would absolute adore, but then...I dont.

Bastion I straight out not liked (I still want to give it another chance tho) and I was liking Transistor kinda but then stopped playing and never got back to it :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
CEO Kaz Hirai ‏@KazHiraiCEO 12h12 hours ago
PlayStation 4.5 was what we were referring to when we said “Greatness Awaits”

Rhaknar

Hex is out btw. I have no idea how the f2p model is, or if you can get enough cards to just play free or whatever

Uzzy

We can wrap up the 2017 SteamGAF GOTY awards now.

I just want Transistor 2, even if that doesn't make sense.

If they had a reason for it, then that'd be fantastic. But I doubt they'd return to it, and I'm quite happy to see Supergiant release one off games in very different genres, rather than go for the sequel/franchise route.

but this one actually makes sense! If you don't buy expensive games and a cheap console and keep it until it's supported, it is a cheap way to game.
Or I misunderstood this post, what I mean, reasons are pretty obvious.
Don't you know people that buy the last game console when new gen starts, with bulk of cheap games and are set for years? You don't need to go console this way, you can go cheap PC this way, but it's essentially the same way, living one gen (at least 5 years if PC is concerned) behind. Now if a console life span shortens and it is supported for shorter time and has less games, I can see someone not liking it quite easily.

There's nothing wrong with that. You can continue with that as it is, the old consoles aren't going anywhere. It's the dynamic that is weird: people want more, bigger, better and better performing things all the time but aren't willing to pay for the premium, which blocks any type of progress for years. People spending hundreds of man years in micro-optimizing to deliver experiences that would have been easily produced by slightly better hardware. Obviously some are capable of this and hardware should be pushed to it's maximum. Something like PS3 only peaked in it's Xth year because it was terrible hardware to develop for. This isn't the case with the modern consoles, but is an issue for the current hardware.

I don't understand this Neo thing. Will game ship in two versions, normal and Neo, or Neo is just a patch? If it's the first, this will be a clusterfuck, but good for Sony, betting on double-dippers.

I know that you are being serious, but you are posting this question in the biggest PC gaming topic NeoGAF, you know, the platform that has been capable of shipping experiences that can cater to billions of different hardware configurations for decades >_>

Ludens

Banned
I don't understand this Neo thing. Will game ship in two versions, normal and Neo, or Neo is just a patch? If it's the first, this will be a clusterfuck, but good for Sony, betting on double-dippers.

Rhaknar

no it will be 1 game, with both "modes" in it. Like a PC game basically.

Jawmuncher

2017 GOTY is reserved for Tekken 7.

That could maybe still hit 2016

We can wrap up the 2017 SteamGAF GOTY awards now.

If they had a reason for it, then that'd be fantastic. But I doubt they'd return to it, and I'm quite happy to see Supergiant release one off games in very different genres, rather than go for the sequel/franchise route.

I just really prefer sci-fi over swords and sorcery

Amzin

Pyre looks like it should be fun. Have to agree with the sentiments about the trailer song though... out of every song from both their soundtracks, that's my least favorite so far :p

I am one of the rare few who enjoyed Transistor more than Bastion and this looks like another somewhat unique gameplay style, hopefully it appeals to more people I guess.

Ludens

Banned
holy smoke! already? have you played it 24/7 or something?
Nah, only took around 35 hours. 28 for the main 100% run, around 7 for the parallel Excalibur 2 one. But I used all boosters, so no random encounters and 5* speed when travelling around and during dialogues.
Plus a guide. But yeah, I played way too much.
I spent 150 hours 15 years ago on PS1, I just wanted to see improvements on this new version and get the Excalibur 2, a thing I never tried back in days...so boosters did their job.
Short version: I was REALLY waiting for this.
For FFX/X-2, I'll probably get it but won't play it at all, one play it's enough for both those games.

Hex is out btw. I have no idea how the f2p model is, or if you can get enough cards to just play free or whatever

I've been playing Hex for a long time; the community is pretty active and stable since the Kickstarter did such crazy business.

I'd say it's not really viable as a F2P game even though you get a few hundred cards free when you start out: think of it more like "what you wished Magic The Gathering online would be, if you wanted something like that" which also means the payment stream is fundamentally CCG. If you want to play, you're going to need to sink a bit of money into it. Getting mess-around decks or decks that can handle the PVE / Single Player content will be pretty cheap (and you *might* be able to F2P that even), but if you want to be viable in P2P you're going to need to pay for card packs. I'm never a fan of "constructed" PVP in CCGs anyway, I drastically prefer "Sealed" or "Booster Draft", but doing that consistently free is going to be damn near impossible, and that's where you'll buy a lot of your cards (3 packs for booster drafts, 6 for sealed). There is an auction house and 3rd party sites for the buying and selling of individual cards, but I haven't used either yet.

Basically, think of the "free" part of the game as a demo that lets you get familiar with the game, the client, and all that stuff to decide whether it's something you want to put some money into or not.

With that said, If you want an online CCG, Hex is *great.* It's very different from Hearthstone; much more like MtG in terms of complexity and interaction. The PVE stuff has been significantly slower in rolling out than anticipated, but overall the game is fantastic with tons of strategic variety. It definitely apes MtG pretty closely, and you can even use similar deck archetypes if you're familiar with them (red burn, green ramp, blue control, etc), but they also do a good job of easing you into things if you haven't played many CCGs before.

Rhaknar

I've been playing Hex for a long time; the community is pretty active and stable since the Kickstarter did such crazy business.

I'd say it's not really viable as a F2P game even though you get a few hundred cards free when you start out: think of it more like "what you wished Magic The Gathering online would be, if you wanted something like that" which also means the payment stream is fundamentally CCG. If you want to play, you're going to need to sink a bit of money into it. Getting mess-around decks or decks that can handle the PVE / Single Player content will be pretty cheap (and you *might* be able to F2P that even), but if you want to be viable in P2P you're going to need to pay for card packs. I'm never a fan of "constructed" PVP in CCGs anyway, I drastically prefer "Sealed" or "Booster Draft", but doing that consistently free is going to be damn near impossible, and that's where you'll buy a lot of your cards (3 packs for booster drafts, 6 for sealed). There is an auction house and 3rd party sites for the buying and selling of individual cards, but I haven't used either yet.

Basically, think of the "free" part of the game as a demo that lets you get familiar with the game, the client, and all that stuff to decide whether it's something you want to put some money into or not.

With that said, If you want an online CCG, Hex is *great.* It's very different from Hearthstone; much more like MtG in terms of complexity and interaction. The PVE stuff has been significantly slower in rolling out than anticipated, but overall the game is fantastic with tons of strategic variety. It definitely apes MtG pretty closely, and you can even use similar deck archetypes if you're familiar with them (red burn, green ramp, blue control, etc), but they also do a good job of easing you into things if you haven't played many CCGs before.

just finished the tutorial. Super impressive, great first impression. Its basically MTG with a slight twist on mana and champion powers for your character. Will deffinately at least play the campaign. UI is super sleak and explains everything nicely (even tho I know everything from my MTG background).

Ludens

Banned

The only good thing about that trailer is Code Veronica stuff. I hope the fact Capcom is including it here it's a hint toward Code Veronica HD version for Ps3/One/PC. Capcom just ported 4-5-6, so why not.
Animations are atrocious, something I saw only in some Greenlight games and Digital Homicide titles.

Code Veronica is pretty low bar when it comes to Resident Evil mainline for me. It hasn't aged as well as the others. That game to me is in need of a slight remaster. Nothing too serious, but some fixes here and there would go a long way.

The PS3 version is great, maybe a bit too dark, but I think it was dev's purpose on doing so.

I think it's fine outside of the fact that you can't pop a zombie's head off because lol sega.

It's the real RE3 for me, i must've played through that game like 3 times back in the day which is a lot for someone who plays through a game once and puts it away

Sega? What do you mean? Also I'm pretty sure you stump zombie's heads in CV too.

I started it last year and was having a pretty good time until I got randomly killed off and lost 1.5 hours of progress. Either the typewriters are too spread out or I missed one.

Eh, CV is the harder RE game. At least in RE0 you can play on easy, for CV there's no difficulty selection. If you don't manage CAREFULLY your resources, you are screwed, simple as that.

Jawmuncher

The only good thing about that trailer is Code Veronica stuff. I hope the fact Capcom is including it here it's a hint toward Code Veronica HD version for Ps3/One/PC. Capcom just ported 4-5-6, so why not.

Code Veronica is pretty low bar when it comes to Resident Evil mainline for me. It hasn't aged as well as the others. That game to me is in need of a slight remaster. Nothing too serious, but some fixes here and there would go a long way.

I think it's fine outside of the fact that you can't pop a zombie's head off because lol sega.

It's the real RE3 for me, i must've played through that game like 3 times back in the day which is a lot for someone who plays through a game once and puts it away

Tenrius

I started it last year and was having a pretty good time until I got randomly killed off and lost 1.5 hours of progress. Either the typewriters are too spread out or I missed one.

Rhaknar

hey look, its fucking Kerbal on sale...again. And Magicka 2...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom