• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Shivercliff announced.

It's a new game by the creators of Kholat that was announced lightly on their social feeds, and they say news is coming soon. Right now can sign-up for a newsletter only, and these are the only known details:

FPP adventure, with survival horror elements, grounded in classic game mechanics and enriched with work-of-art piece of music.

I liked Kholat though, and the world needs more small town atmospheric games, so thought I'd mention since this has gotten little exposure so far.

iosefe

i think i've become a Picross addict, first it was Hexcells, the Squarecells, and now Pokemon Picross on my 3ds

i should probably get Paint it Back

I think i found out where I gotta go in dark souls 2, fighting a skeleton chariot boss, it did the blood shot effect when I entered it so I'm assuming it's one of the main bosses of the game. I think I'm out leveled for this area lol, I kill all the enemies in 1 to 2 hits and on my first attempt at the boss I took it almost to half health, it did a rushing attack that killed me :(

The fuck is that supposed to mean? Besides the dr series originated on the psp and then ported to the vita

Well, Vita games seem to go along well with fanservice. Not all, of course. At least that's what I've seen so far.
Sadly I wouldn't be able to play Danganronpa judging from the pic from the last page.

I edited entrails in case I offended you but you saw it too fast

I own a lot of Disgaea games I will never play them though

disgaea is so gud tho, at least play 4 :( its about a vampire who is on a very strict sardine only diet, its funny.

Disgaea-4-16.jpg

Well here is a free game, bought a bundle and i already got it

ModBot said:
Instructions for sotodefonk:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Contagion -- MB-6019A3B3D66C281B - Taken by Echoplx

I thought I'd mod my PC for better airflow. Well, just having my phone wasn't cutting it so now the essential guts are assembled in my desk drawer. That solved my airflow problems!

Tizoc

Well, Vita games seem to go along well with fanservice. Not all, of course. At least that's what I've seen so far.
Sadly I wouldn't be able to play Danganronpa judging from the pic from the last page.
Unless ur gifted it for free rigth? :v
Fanservice in dr is overshadowed by the plot and characterization
Just play the first game at least, heck youd have to remind me of the fanservicey parts because much of what i remember and liked was the humor, characters and crazy ish that goes down

At the very least, nothing in the first game is like that (seriously, zero fanservice outside a short optional image), and even in the second the intent was supposedly parody rather than titillation if the developer is to be believed, especially considering the context is ridiculous.

Sch1sm

Someone posted this in the Black Culture Thread, so I thought I'd share here, since the planned release is for MAC/WIN/LINUX on Steam.

Clique, by Dead Art Games | Kickstarter

Clique is a game about facing prejudice. It's made by an African-American team, outlining their struggles growing up in Detroit through positive characters rather than the stereotypes we see. The one's they mention specifically are like Lee in TWD, Mafia III's protag, even GTA. First link is a Polygon article about it and the two devs behind it now.

Kickstarter has 2 weeks left and just over 28k left to go.

FLD

i think i've become a Picross addict, first it was Hexcells, the Squarecells, and now Pokemon Picross on my 3ds

i should probably get Paint it Back

Ha, I went through the exact same process except with Paint It Back between Squarecells and Pokemon Picross. The F2P elements of Pokemon Picross are kinda killing it for me, though. Haven't touched it in a couple weeks and it'll be like another month before I can get that Zelda Picross reward one.

I should probably get back to Paint It Back. It was fun but at the time what I really wanted was more Squarecells. Playing them on my 3DS is kind of more convenient, though...

Unless ur gifted it for free rigth? :v
Fanservice in dr is overshadowed by the plot and characterization
Just play the first game at least, heck youd have to remind me of the fanservicey parts because much of what i remember and liked was the humor, characters and crazy ish that goes down

At the very least, nothing in the first game is like that (seriously, zero fanservice outside a short optional image), and even in the second the intent was supposedly parody rather than titillation if the developer is to be believed, especially considering the context is ridiculous.

well, the first one has nothing of the sort, so you can go for it :p

Fanservice is totally fine for me. But anime fanservice is an entirely different matter. It's a big nope.

I love Ace Attorney games, and Danganronpa really piqued my interest. Maybe I'll try the first one later.

Anyway, I've just posted my review of The Division earlier.
If I were to write a review a few weeks ago, I'd give it a solid 9/10 and recommend this game to everyone.

It's an amazing game with beautiful graphics that runs pretty smooth even on my old PC. The city is well crafted with amazing little details on every corner, and main missions in general are pretty fun. Side activities are typical Ubisoft game though, kinda repetitive. Gunplay is so satisfying with great cover mechanics. Enemies (factions) are varied enough with their own characteristics. I can go either solo, play with friends or go with randoms via matchmaking to do everything in this game. The leveling experience in The Division is one of the best I've ever had in an mmo(lite). I'd give the 1-30 journey a solid 9/10.

And then I stumbled upon the endgame. The real meat of the game where I'm supposed to spend most of my time there. CM are really a challenge, however they're kinda limited in number. It was originally okay before the incursion patch hit, but everything has changed since then. It's way harder to get crafting materials post patch, which means you need to grind your ♥♥♥ to craft your weapon/gear. Incursion is a mess, people can exploit it to beat it way easier. Massive then remove weekly rewards so people who're not exploiting are basically screwed. You may choose to not use the exploits, but you'll be left behind others, and you definitely won't stand a chance in the Dark Zone where everyone is an exploiter. If you're a competitive player, you'll have to use the exploits. The first free update is the turning point of the game for me.

The game is a mess from its core. There are too many fundamental problems while maybe can be fixed, but will need a lot of work and testing. Massive can only find the exploits after the players abusing them. And when they do fix one, players find another two exploits. Every day there's new glitches and exploits, but they can only apply a patch once a week or two. And it's been going on since day 1. They just can't keep up with the pace of people finding new glitches. And you can't blame them for finding those exploits, the game isn't supposed to have ridiculous amount of them. It's been a month and this game feels like a beta for me. The Division is probably the most squandered potential of a game in years.

Massive needs a 'timeout' to totally fix their game, but sadly they don't have it. The show must go on..
/tldr: stay away for now.

Shivercliff announced.

It's a new game by the creators of Kholat that was announced lightly on their social feeds, and they say news is coming soon. Right now can sign-up for a newsletter only, and these are the only known details:

I liked Kholat though, and the world needs more small town atmospheric games, so thought I'd mention since this has gotten little exposure so far.
Sounds interesting. But I hope that with "survival horror elements, grounded in classic game mechanics" they mean something like classic Resident Evil and Silent Hill games and not things like Amnesia. Though considering they developed Kholat I suppose it will be in the style of Amnesia and the like.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok im so tilted from that dancer fight lol

had to sidetrack and stumble onto l
ost izalith?!

dark souls 3 is weird

Card Boy

Banned
This Contagion review from a former developer is juicy. I only just by chance looked at it as it comes with Bundle Stars 6 and wanted to see if it was good.

icon_thumbsDown.png
Not Recommended

Disclaimer
This is a review from an Ex-Developer (Lead mapper for over 4+ years) who started development on the game well before the Kickstarter Campaign, before Early Access and worked all the way through to release and after to talk about my experiences with the company throughout my run here. This review in no way reflects upon the majority of the team, who are just doing as told but is more aimed at what went wrong and the ones responsilbe for the state of the game as it is today as well as how a large part of the community has been treated. Read one of the 9,000 other reviews if you want more specifics about the game and the gameplay.

Review
I've waited a long time to write a review on the very game I spent 4 years of my life working on. So why am I writing it now? Because I can no longer stand behind Tatsur0 and how he manages his own community, let alone the (non) managing of the game itself. Never have I seen a more hands-off approach in my life. I hope you guys understand he is not a developer. He might have been at one point, but not anymore. It seems instead of making games, he plays them now. ;)

I couldn't count the number of times I have seen someone being utterly disgusted by how they've been treated both on the forums or reading the comments on the various reviews. It's just saddening. As one of the ex-devlopers it always hurt me to see people treated that way and how a lot of things have been so poorly dealt with, either it being the communication towards the community or just very poor decisions that have been made during active development.

I take the communities experience and reaction incredibly personal because it feels that my own integrity as a developer and an artist has been dragged through the mud and I never have been able to really find an outlet and express how I feel or have felt. This review will be the last thing I will ever write about Contagion and I do it because I believe people should be aware as to what kind of developer they're spending their money on.

Another reason I have held off for so long is simply because I feel that I put my own reputation on the line by turning against my ex-employer but I will say this. I do not hold grudges and I never ever speak ill of anyone. But when you spent this long on a project and devoted countless hours while neglecting your emediate family. My daughter was born during Early Access and I have been slaving away all the way up to release and missed a lot of that period that I can never get back.

There's also another important reason I held back writing a review and that simply is that it's not fair towards the other guys that are still there. They work hard and they're cool guys and I just feel bad that this is the company they're stuck with. I hope by writing this "review" people will understand that only one person is responsible for the questionable reputation Contagion and Monochrome are finding themselves in right now.

So, let's talk about the actual game. During Early access and on release I would say this game was amazing. The original dev team was so passionate about the game that's where I believe the success came from. Player zombies are pretty cool and I do find that they're certainly not underpowered. So many times I've killed an entire team by being sneaky. If you play patiently it's quite easy to catch one or two off guard. But it works both ways, players have such a fair chance to kill a PZ, just use your 911.

The game has a few game modes, Escape, Extraction, Hunted and Flatline. Flatline came out after I was out off the projectso I never really played it. I'm not a fan of hunted much but I do think Escape and Extraction are a lot of fun and quite well balanced. Especially the maps I made, hurr durr. ;P

I still remember when we were working on Extraction. I was working on suburbs at the time and getting the map ready for PAX Prime. It was the first time anything I made was ever put out there. The first time people would play something I made by large and I was nervous as heck. But I still remember how I felt when the game mode was playable for the first time.

It was amazing, the thrill and the fun we had during that period was something you just cannot experience anywhere outside of development. When everyone's hard work comes together and you have so much enthausiasm going into it.

When I joined RPD was quite far along in terms of alpha gameplay. I was blown away by it and it's still one of the best coop experiences out there. Barlowe Square was my answer to RPD. But I honestly don't think I could go through a development cycle like that again. That map took a toll on me for a short while but it was worth it.

And then release happened. Well, if it wasn't for the technical part that where the game was officially released you wouldn't know it. I really wish I could get into this more detailed but I won't. All I will say is that this is where the momentum stopped dead in it's tracks. Big mistakes were made and it resulted in not being picked up by any of the larger review sites. No one was talking about it and this is where everythins started to stagnate. From active development to the community and beyond. It was a huge blow for us but helped us put things into perspective.

And that's the sad part about Contagion. The way that development stagnated after the original team left. The game never became what it potentially could and this is something I also want to warn players against. It's just not finished. There are still numerous bugs that have been around since forever and I feel that's just bad decision making to not adress these.

I also think that not having a lobby system at this point is unacceptable. I don't really know what this could change so long after release but I know it's rumored to be in the works, so I hope for those who play it, that it will come out not too long from now.

I know this review most likely will be viewed as biased, or maybe giving the impression that I'm just sour about certain things that happened, and I won't lie, I am. But this is the most honest review I can offer without going into any in details. I just hope that whoever reads this will make an informed decision in buying the game or not.

So, as I said this is the last thing I will write about the game. I had fun times and bad times, I just wish that in the end I could've been proud of it instead of having this bad taste at the back of my mouth... Please, just don't hold it against the other devs working on this game, only one person has the final say and that dictates the outcome of this product and it's updates.

Also have fun flagging this review tats ;)

Then this developer responds just afew days ago.

PEu2mkL.png

tumblr_n6vztzAsjT1qgf1i8o1_250.gif

Sigh...posts like this make me feel like spoiling the game already.

I know that the game isn't about fanservice. But it's still a fanservice. A bad, forced, and awkward one, imho.

Bingo. They have a pretty amazing "core" game, but they cut so many corners when it comes to how they're supporting this game. The daily missions repeat, for crying out loud.

You can also alter the game's time direclty from your Windows. I'd understand if it's actually an SP game.

multivac

Extra code from the Bundle Stars bundle for someone! Hope it didn't redeem when I put it in Steam and it told me I already owned it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (multivac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dustforce -- MB-A4BDBEDA0A1A3AE7 - Taken by Gez

kurahador

I know that the game isn't about fanservice. But it's still a fanservice. A bad, forced, and awkward one, imho.

Danganronpa is first and foremost a parody, and that forced fan service is a parody of a forced fan service in most japanese entertainment media.
Also, that scene does
play an important role to the case and the whole story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom