• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is some bullshit. Rocket League is free this weekend and I can't even play it:

90f1fe3.png

9151c00.png

Valve, fix this. The shared library feature was already nonsense, but this takes it to a new level.

Couldn't you use the /installapp command instead?

VXJZxIz.png

Finished Dark Souls 3 after an intense 11 days. With a Soul Level of 116. Spoilers from here on.

In short, it's a great Souls game. It feels very focused in most aspects. Changing covenants is easier, armor upgrades are gone, stats are trimmed down, the world feels tighter, grinding for upgrade materials wasn't necessary. I also liked the slightly improved weapon infusing system. There is now a more clear way to infuse weapons with each "elemental" and still have stat scaling while there are "simpler" infusions available of each kind for better base damage output but no scaling at all. Sounds complicated when reading but it's the easiest upgrade system so far. Another mechanical change is that the camera and player movement feel more similar to Dark Souls 1 which I prefer over the feel of Dark Souls 2.
I enjoyed the pacing and focused design. Reminds me of Demon's Souls.This more focused design also shows itself in the world and bosses. There are fewer bosses and the game generally felt lighter and shorter, seeing DS2. It by no means lacks content though. Especially compared to Dark Souls 2, the world feels more believable and cohesive. The areas themselves are also better designed and most importantly to me, offer much better boss encounters than its predecessor. This makes me most happy as the bosses in DS2 were for the most part lackluster. I thoroughly enjoyed almost each and every boss for their unique designs, unique behaviors and unique flow of battle. Interestingly enough I had the by far easiest time so far in any Souls game with DS3. Not sure if it stems from the experience in the series but on the other hand I've heard of friends with tales of horror about certain bosses which I managed to down on my first or second try.
In terms of music Demon's Souls and Dark Souls offer more haunting and memorable tracks but there were several nice ones here that caught my attention.
Abyss Watcher and Prince Lothric
boss fight music namely. The cast of NPC and the questlines were well done with some personalities being nice additions to the Souls series.

To my understanding this will be the final entry in the Dark Souls franchise, so it was nice to have references and nods to the whole franchise, starting way from Demon's Souls. I enjoyed reading weapon, armor, spell and item descriptions, vaguely hinting at the players past achievements but the throwbacks don't end here, by far they don't.
The blacksmith is the very same Andre of Astora from the first Dark Souls which surprised me since this is taking place apparently a long time after the events of the first game. While him being the single only major identical NPC, I still would have liked it more if he at least was a descendant. Ah well, it was breaking the immersion a bit.
There is a fine line between recognizing heritage and recycling and for the most part it's thankfully the former but having seen all the content, there are areas where I would not blame someone for using the word "recycled". Anor Londo is actually not one of those though as it was a very small area, basically a run-up to a boss, so I was absolutely fine with its appearance. Most of all it did not feel like a cheap copy-paste but made sense in the lore and world. Time passed, so it was decaying and crumbling, very well done. Sadly though the existence of Silver Knights was not only done beyond a little nod but felt copied. They added few new attacks but they were the same old Silver Knights with the same old gear, not even brittled or broken to show signs of time! That was a big immersion breaker and I did not enjoy facing them which only became sadder at the amount. The area could have become much more memorable and impactful by making the Silver Knights wear broken, torn-apart armor, maybe even broken weapons and slower, less lively behavior. The way they are depicted though is not well done.
Later on when you end up in the Untended Graves there is an interesting "Aha" moment upon realizing it's the starting area but that gets replaced by a "Why" moment when you realize it's not that the original area changed its tone and time but this is a parallel world/different area?! Dynamically changing the area from a certain point in the game would have been better. You fight a variant of the same boss and later on fight Black Knights. Similarly to the Silver Knights with almost no differences to Dark Souls 1 but worse as the location does not make much sense. Shame.
Thankfully these "recycled" occurrences were not too much, so I could forget about them once hitting subsequent areas which did not have these issues at all. All in all, I am glad that the Dark Souls franchise is ending as I want to see FromSoftware build a new world with different mechanics, different ideas without expectations & shackles that come with a franchise.

From a technical point, Dark Souls 3 has network issues which I have not encountered in previous games. Frequently summoned players become glitched, lacking any animations and just glide which makes for a subpar multiplayer experience. Same happens to the player as a summon in that no enemy or boss has any animations which made for several severely anti-climatic boss fights where this issue obviously occurred for multiple summons who could hammer on a glitched boss without any repercussions. It's not the majority of the multiplayer experience but happens more often than is acceptable.
Other than that the game shows stutter. It was only mildly annoying and never became a major issue for me thankfully. What did bug me were the load times when browsing through the inventory. The larger images take a second to show which annoyed me.

Despite the lengthy criticism, the positives outweigh them by a landslide and the ups are much, much higher than the lows. Dark Souls 3 is a very good Souls game and stands tall on its own with many of the most memorable and enjoyable areas and boss fights in the whole franchise. I am eagerly awaiting new content, so I have a reason to play more of this gem of a game.

Saw the post about steam accepting bitcoin.

How does one even get bitcoin?

At first, one would "mine" bitcoins by solving increasingly complex equations using their CPU. Then using their GPU. Then using peer-to-peer networks. I have no idea what they do now...but the general method is buying it from someone who mined them early.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So the Steam Workshop for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics got even more awesome

That's really great actually. It'll be interesting to see how much it's locked down and/or moderated to prevent people from uploading straight up ROMs of games that aren't already available on the platform.

Also it'd be sweet if they integrated RetroAchievements or had their own crowd-sourced achievement system built in somehow.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Time to watch all Dark Souls 3 trailers and see how they compare to the great DS1 Bartholomew and DS2 Announcement trailers.

The latest trailer is one of the best trailers I've ever seen. Its also the most spoiler heavy trailer I've ever seen lol

Accolades Trailer is great. I really like the Launch Trailer though.

Very glad I held off of watching any trailers. Dang they show everything o_O Would have missed out on the first "Wow" moments.

Finally I'am on my computer and just wishlisted that POP game I was asking earlier this morning.

Wow, how much LSD was consumed in the creation of that game? Goddamn.

got all 4 primal bonfires and spent like 30 minutes trying to figure out where to go next, just gave up and googled it. game does a pretty shit job at explaining what you got to do after, level up lady just says "go to the castle" like, it would have been nice if you told me where >.> also whats up with those places with the white fire that teleport you to some room with a giant door thats locked and a bunch of human target like things that are always located near a primal bonfire? are those the dlc areas or something?

zkylon

zkylewd
got all 4 primal bonfires and spent like 30 minutes trying to figure out where to go next, just gave up and googled it. game does a pretty shit job at explaining what you got to do after, level up lady just says "go to the castle" like, it would have been nice if you told me where >.> also whats up with those places with the white fire that teleport you to some room with a giant door thats locked and a bunch of human target like things that are always located near a primal bonfire? are those the dlc areas or something?

i think it is, not sure from the way you're explaining it :p

and yea the souls games aren't usually the most transparent about these things

remember the shit you have to go through to get to the artorias dlc lol

i think it is, not sure from the way you're explaining it :p

and yea the souls games aren't usually the most transparent about these things

remember the shit you have to go through to get to the artorias dlc lol

lol yea i remember that! I get that they want the player to find their own way and stuff but damn, at least give me better hints, this is the main route I'm trying to get through, not optional stuff

FLD

Freed from my exams, it's game time baby!

I can relate to that. Had my last final of the week today, so I can play Dark Souls III all night and then again all day tomorrow guilt free!

My semester might as well be over at this point. I only have a computer graphics final left next week and it only counts for 20% of the grade. So, even if I don't show up I already know I pass the class because I did well on all the assignments.

The campaign in Battlefleet Gothic Armada is definitely not an afterthought. It's got plenty of good quality cutscenes and pretty good voice acting. Very high quality stuff, the devs must really like the 40k universe.

zkylon

zkylewd
so i beat the dancer (first try after raging yesterday)

i'm level 61, my brother has been playing it and hasn't even beaten one of the lords and he's 45

i feel like i'm super underleveled?

might be my fashion souls obsession making me buy all the armor with the souls i get from bosses instead of leveling up lol

lol yea i remember that! I get that they want the player to find their own way and stuff but damn, at least give me better hints, this is the main route I'm trying to get through, not optional stuff

i love dark souls and i love dark souls being super obscure and weird

but that was dumb lol

MUnited83

For you.
so i beat the dancer (first try after raging yesterday)

i'm level 61, my brother has been playing it and hasn't even beaten one of the lords and he's 45

i feel like i'm super underleveled?

might be my fashion souls obsession making me buy all the armor with the souls i get from bosses instead of leveling up lol

i love dark souls and i love dark souls being super obscure and weird

but that was dumb lol

lol underleveled

Still at SL40 here with two bosses to beat :>

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jasec, what are you talking about? no difference between sales foil badge and regular drops lately.

It was an example of a distinction. Obviously item drops haven't been a thing for some time now, but they were and therefore could again be a thing.

Wait, is that what's going on here

Yeah. App 93304 doesn't actually exist; someone hit 3 instead of 4.

The #s for 5 and 6 are totally different and thus don't follow this pattern (like 4 as it is now), presumably because they all came out at different times, unlike the first 3 chapters. Then again, I do get an error trying to wishlist 4 (no such problem for 5 and 6).

When a game is uploaded, it's assigned an app id that ends with 0 and the nine apps that follow are reserved for secondary apps, namely depots and DLC. The Dream Machine has only used six thus far (one for each chapter), so there's no technical reason behind Cockroach opting for a new app id for 5 and 6.

Regarding the issue with Chapter 4, Cockroach has been aware of it for some time and will look into correcting the problem after the game is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom