• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I am still amazed the movie industry has not adopted a Steam-like model. UltraViolet is an embarrassment.

UltraViolet is my movie-delivery service of choice - it's like Steam in a lot of ways, and in some ways it's even better.

Imagine if your purchased a game on GOG and it was automatically in your Steam library. Or imagine you purchased a game on Steam and 5 years from now someone comes up with a better competing service where all of your games are already there waiting for you and you don't have to repurchase anything. Or imagine you make a bundle purchase on Indie Gala/Humble/Groupees/Random Turd Bundle Site, and the game automatically activates and syncs to your connected services like Steam, GOG, Microsoft Store, hell even PSN or XBL. That's what gaming would be like if we had an Ultraviolet-like service for games.

I'm honestly surprised the movie industry of all places would be the first place we would see that level of digital content lockers.

Hektor

I never bothered to redeem my ultraviolet codes, sounds like i should start doing that.

VIpFWtj.png

giphy.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not sure if Ill jump straight to Transistor, but then again im not sure what ill play. DS3 NG+still taunts me, but I dont want NG+ dlc difficulty, so mweh.

I would play Salt and Sanctuary so bad right now. Or Shadow Complex. Bah humbug.

dex3108

UltraViolet is my movie-delivery service of choice - it's like Steam in a lot of ways, and in some ways it's even better.

Imagine if your purchased a game on GOG and it was automatically in your Steam library. Or imagine you purchased a game on Steam and 5 years from now someone comes up with a better competing service where all of your games are already there waiting for you and you don't have to repurchase anything. Or imagine you make a bundle purchase on Indie Gala/Humble/Groupees/Random Turd Bundle Site, and the game automatically activates and syncs to your connected services like Steam, GOG, Microsoft Store, hell even PSN or XBL. That's what gaming would be like if we had an Ultraviolet-like service for games.

I'm honestly surprised the movie industry of all places would be the first place we would see that level of digital content lockers.

That is fine but they still region lock their services in 2016 and complain about piracy :D

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I never bothered to redeem my ultraviolet codes, sounds like i should start doing that.

You should! Also it's super common for people to just outright sell their codes for a couple bucks each to offset the costs of buying physical movies.

That is fine but they still region lock their services in 2016 and complain about piracy :D

That may be true, I can only speak to how well it works in the US. I do know some JaseC-types who redeem region-locked UV codes from other countries via VPN and to date the studios haven't cared (as far as I'm aware). Piracy in movies is obviously still a huge issue (but not from a "lost revenue" standpoint) that you're right they could do away with a lot of that if they were to simply let up on some of the restrictions. Baby steps though.

not sure if Ill jump straight to Transistor, but then again im not sure what ill play. DS3 NG+still taunts me, but I dont want NG+ dlc difficulty, so mweh.

I would play Salt and Sanctuary so bad right now. Or Shadow Complex. Bah humbug.

When this happens to me....I usually just watch movies.

That being said, between the Division and Dark Souls 3, my 50 movies challenge is at about 15. Damn.....

dex3108

You should! Also it's super common for people to just outright sell their codes for a couple bucks each to offset the costs of buying physical movies.

That may be true, I can only speak to how well it works in the US. I do know some JaseC-types who redeem region-locked UV codes from other countries via VPN and to date the studios haven't cared (as far as I'm aware). Piracy in movies is obviously still a huge issue (but not from a "lost revenue" standpoint) that you're right they could do away with a lot of that if they were to simply let up on some of the restrictions. Baby steps though.

For example when Netflix went global i used 1 month trial and since then i am subscriber even though library is really limited when you compare it to US or Canada. I don;t have issue to pay for services i want, i have issue with companies that complain a lot and do nothing to make things better. :D

Anno

Transistor I find to be the much more interesting SuperGiant game mechanically. If you like playing with many overlapping skill sets and upgrades and fighting styles you should really give it a run. It's pretty short anyway, I think about the same as Bastion.

Sch1sm

too many people removing games from their account here

y'all turn into holybaikal when no one was lookin?

Gotta purge the bundle trash.

Finished Dark Souls 3 :D

Excellent game, really enjoyed it. Final boss was surprisingly easy though.

Yeah, agreed on that. Found the optional ones to be more difficult, come to think of it. Funny how he was marketed as unforgiving since he's the last boss of the game. If you have some fire resist, he isn't problematic in the slightest. Dodge harder. Easily got that one finished.

Which ending did you get? 1, 2a, 2b, 3?

Wait? You have been able to watch your movies through UV itself?

Every movie I have will ask me for a redeem code when I try and watch through the UV interface. It makes me go to a vendor specific site to watch.

Like my Sony movies will only play through Sony's app. And they will not let me download anything other than SD. So I get Youtube quality streaming for my "HD" purchases.

Tellaerin

I don't understand the whole "removing games" thing, to be honest. Even if it turns out you don't like something or won't play it, it's just a name on a list. Why not just leave it? The idea of a game's existence offending someone's sensibilities so badly that they'd go to the trouble of having it removed from their account is completely alien to me.

Uzzy

PLAY TRANSISTOR

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
say, remember back in Christmas sales where they had free games and a raffle? I remember (I forgot what year) that it had a raffle where one winner would have ALL steam games be available for that person.

did they ever disclose who it was? and did the rule stipulates all existing Steam games then or does it include future ones too?

mp1990

Banned
Annoyingly, the story in the game is virtually non-existent, I presume so as to not spoil the film. It's not exactly the best companion.

I had no idea Ratchet & Clank was a thing until I bought a PS3, in 2008. I've not played any of the PS2 titles and in fact still need to play the third PS3 game (Into the Nexus). It's up on PS Now, but PS Now isn't on PSN AU.
Be prepared for disappointment if you're coming from A Crack In Time (which is easily the best game in the series imo). The decision of choosing 30fps instead of 60 didn't bode well for the game, and it's also way too short for its own good. With that said, it's still an R&C game, so you can still have some hours of fun with it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
another game I would totally play right now is No Man's Sky. Thats actually out soon-ish right? June?

Knurek

I don't understand the whole "removing games" thing, to be honest. Even if it turns out you don't like something or won't play it, it's just a name on a list. Why not just leave it? The idea of a game's existence offending someone's sensibilities so badly that they'd go to the trouble of having it removed from their account is completely alien to me.

Have you played any of the Digital Homicide games?

jshackles

Wait? You have been able to watch your movies through UV itself?

Every movie I have will ask me for a redeem code when I try and watch through the UV interface. It makes me go to a vendor specific site to watch.

Like my Sony movies will only play through Sony's app. And they will not let me download anything other than SD. So I get Youtube quality streaming for my "HD" purchases.

UV itself is a vendor-agnostic digital content locker, nothing more. To watch the movies you need to use a service that supports it, such as VUDU (Walmart) or Flixster (Fandango). It usually takes a few minutes to sync movies from your UV account into those services - the longest I've ever had to wait was about 30 minutes.

The reason this is good is because if VUDU ever goes out of business (yeah right, they're owned by Walmart but whatever) then your purchases are still held in your UV library and can be ported to another service and watched there. When I made the comparison to Steam, it'd finally answer the age-old Steam question "what happens to our digital games when Valve goes out of business?". The answer (if they had an UltraViolet-like service for games) would be "you can play it on whatever platform you want."

Every purchase you make on a UV connected service will sync that purchase back to your UV library, and then that movie can be played on any UV connected service.

If the service you're using doesn't have the quality standards you're looking for in HD, try a competing service. There are a couple dozen of them now - VUDU, Flixster, Cinemanow, MGO, Sony, Paramount, etc etc. Most people prefer VUDU, to download the movies locally you just need to install their client (like Steam).

I know it's a bit confusing starting out (it took me a few good months to realize how it all worked, honestly) but aside from some region-locking issues as dex pointed out, it's pretty well put together.

I will never remove a game. Never.

When I kick it my Steam account will be my biggest asset. The banks will be fighting each other over it.

EDIT - Thanks for the info js. I will look into it some more.

I haven't removed that many.

99% of the time it's something I didn't buy anyway or a Free game that was bad. I remove them simply because it bugs me. And it's really not a lot of trouble it only takes a few clicks. I like my games list being games I bought and actually played or attempted to play is all. It's rarely a backlog thing but, some games honestly pissed me off and I would want them gone from my account entirely as well.

another game I would totally play right now is No Man's Sky. Thats actually out soon-ish right? June?

End of June yeah. Right after E3 no less

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Be prepared for disappointment if you're coming from A Crack In Time (which is easily the best game in the series imo). The decision of choosing 30fps instead of 60 didn't bode well for the game, and it's also way too short for its own good. With that said, it's still an R&C game, so you can still have some hours of fun with it.

Yeah, I've read here and there that it's rather short, and HLTB's data suggests it's longer than Quest for Booty by only about a third.

Gotta purge the bundle trash.

Yeah, agreed on that. Found the optional ones to be more difficult, come to think of it. Funny how he was marketed as unforgiving since he's the last boss of the game. If you have some fire resist, he isn't problematic in the slightest. Dodge harder. Easily got that one finished.

Which ending did you get? 1, 2a, 2b, 3?

2a

I just dodge all day, no shields! I do have an off-hand curved sword in case i need to parry.

that's okay, if having more games that you'll never have the time to play doesn't bother you then so be it.

Personally, I'd rather delete some games because I feel burdened by them. Like i mentioned earlier in the thread, if I could sell some of those games or trade them in like physical games I would, having them in my account actually bothers me and causes me anxiety.

To give you an idea, in 2014 I finished 86 games, 87 in 2015, and i've finished 28 as of today for 2016 yet I still have way too much of a backlog and, of course, good games keep coming out in the meantime that I am interested in. I've become much MUCH pickier about games that I now feel like i want to play and much more discriminate in the games I redeem through bundles and ps+/gwg but, yeah, removing games really helps quite a bit too when it comes to getting some relief with my backlog anxiety.

To each their own.

zkylon

zkylewd
Annoyingly, the story in the game is virtually non-existent, I presume so as to not spoil the film. It's not exactly the best companion.

I had no idea Ratchet & Clank was a thing until I bought a PS3, in 2008. I've not played any of the PS2 titles and in fact still need to play the third PS3 game (Into the Nexus). It's up on PS Now, but PS Now isn't on PSN AU.
i think i heard about them during the ps2 era but i was in my teenage years of like "that's a kiddie game", i only play REAL GAMES
like ffx-2

in any case platformers or games with a decent enough focus in platforming have never been my thing

You'd remember Enemy.
oh the spider one

yea

they had that giant spider sculpture thing that the movie's based on (or whatever) in buenos aires for some time

i didn't have fun then

Tellaerin

that's okay, if having more games that you'll never have the time to play doesn't bother you then so be it.

Personally, I'd rather delete some games because I feel burdened by them. Like i mentioned earlier in the thread, if I could sell some of those games or trade them in like physical games I would, having them in my account actually bothers me and causes me anxiety.

To give you an idea, in 2014 I finished 86 games, 87 in 2015, and i've finished 28 as of today for 2016 yet I still have way too much of a backlog and, of course, good games keep coming out in the meantime that I am interested in. I've become much MUCH pickier about games that I now feel like i want to play and much more discriminate in the games I redeem through bundles and ps+/gwg but, yeah, removing games really helps quite a bit too when it comes to getting some relief with my backlog anxiety.

To each their own.

If it's an OCD/anxiety-related thing, then I totally understand. You do what you need to do to feel comfortable.

For me, it's not a big deal to have unplayed games in my account, because I don't see them as an obligation. It's more like having a well-stocked reading room. If I'm in the mood to read something, I'll look around the shelves and see if anything calls out to me. Maybe I'll take something down, read a few pages and shelf it again for later, or maybe the story will get its hooks into me and I won't put it down until I've read it from cover to cover. And then there are the books that don't do anything for me at first glance, but I'll take a second look after a week (or month, or year) has passed and my feelings will do a 180.

My relationship with my Steam library's pretty much like that.

GaussTek

So, I decided to grab that Devolver bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gods Will Be Watching -- MB-AE04C84709D4EE1D - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.

t1461352450z1.png

Sch1sm

If it's an OCD/anxiety-related thing, then I totally understand. You do what you need to do to feel comfortable.

For me, it's not a big deal to have unplayed games in my account, because I don't see them as an obligation. It's more like having a well-stocked reading room. If I'm in the mood to read something, I'll look around the shelves and see if anything calls out to me. Maybe I'll take something down, read a few pages and shelf it again for later, or maybe the story will get its hooks into me and I won't put it down until I've read it from cover to cover. And then there are the books that don't do anything for me at first glance, but I'll take a second look after a week (or month, or year) has passed and my feelings will do a 180.

My relationship with my Steam library's pretty much like that.

We can always get them back, if for some odd reason, the itch is there. I guess. I can see your approach. I mainly just toss the bundle trash that's force included into a single key like Humble sometimes does.

Phinor

I know it's a bit confusing starting out (it took me a few good months to realize how it all worked, honestly) but aside from some region-locking issues as dex pointed out, it's pretty well put together.

After reading this Steam thread these past few hours I finally decided to give one of these digital movie services a try. I have a ton of (well, few hundred) Blu-rays with UV codes so here goes:

"At this time UltraViolet is only available in select countries. Check back as we expand to new areas."

And there it ended. UV supports 13 countries out of roughly 200 countries in the world. They've been building this service for over five years and here we are. Physical format forever.

zkylon

zkylewd
didn't even think bout it, was just farming there

hidden
np, it happens. dks3 has some areas that you'll totally want to be a surprise, that's why i don't even call the "nexus" by its real name heh

thanks for spoilertagging it

yeah that picture was a spoiler but i already knew stuff like that was going to be in DS3 so meh. DS3 has been called a greatest hits of Souls games for a reason right?
i think it's well known that dks3 is very referencial and that areas/people from previous games show up, but the specifics of which are not something you want to find out while browing neogaf

like the moment when i found myself in the place of the picture i was like omfg

you dont want to rob ppl that

was that
anor londo
? looks like it, i only just started so that would suck very hard. if so, fuck you dragon punch

it indeed looks to be that area. I knew what it was right away and swore Dragon Punch was getting away with actively trolling the whole thread yet no one said anything for hours so I figured it wasn't a big deal lol

Teggy

TIL there is a Kick-Ass 2 game. It is $20 on Steam and has really bad reviews. But it's in this bundle!

Flying UIG Bundle 2

$1.99

Bloodbath
Dr. Watson - Riddle of the Catacombs
Highland Warriors
Kick-Ass 2
NY Bus Simulator
NY Taxi Simulator
Them - The Summoning
Transport Giant

zkylon

zkylewd
was that
anor londo
? looks like it, i only just started so that would suck very hard. if so, fuck you dragon punch
i think it was an honest mistake, but yea, gotta be careful about this stuff

if it helps there are other neat surprises even if that one got spoiled for u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom