• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

rtcn63

The
Blood-Starved Beast
in Bloodborne is the true first boss. Mostly because he has a cheap grab attack that one-hits you either by straight damage or the instantaneous poison it inflicts (if you'd somehow survived, you'll likely be dead before you can stand back up and pop an antidote). He's fairly easy to parry due to a super telegraphed hand raise, but if he gets you with the grab, you might as well shoot yourself in the dick.

You can bypass this boss by getting 10,000 souls, although killing it does give you indirect access to a great material farming area early on. And later
you can find runes that increase visceral attack damage significantly, making subsequent visits to the BSB less of a hassle.

Tizoc

Oh, so you just don't like people calling it a platfomer?

Yup, Sly 1 is IMHO the best pure platformer on the PS2. The way you can flow through the levels is amazing. The change they made to gameplay in the sequels was very disappointing for me.

Because R&C 2016 is not a platformer; it's got to do with proper genre association. Go play Super Mario 3D Land, a 3D platformer and compare it to what you do in R&C '16, then come and tell me if R&C is a platformer :p

Tomb Raider Ann. had more platforming in it than R&C '16 and that game had QTE during combat :p

Which one did you play?

the very first one had decent amounts of platforming

Yes the irst one had platforming, but what about its successors? They went towards a more shooter focused gameplay. I sadly can't remember much of the platforming or if certain games had some noteworthy platforming sections atm.

Nzyme32

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer

This is your daily reminder that Cyberpunk is best Punk.

Hoping for the return of many choices that are divergent and hoping for more a complex story that really digs into some philosophy along the way like the original Deus Ex. Regardless, I always look forward to Deus Ex games. HR was not bad but could have been better in many ways. If this new one can improve upon HR, I'll be happy enough

My most anticipated RPG release up there with Dark Souls 3, don't let me down!

Mafia 3 is something that I really want to be favourite of the year just because of how much I love Mafia 1 and 2 for the story and character focus, while making even the mundane interesting. It obviously doesn't have the same choices and opportunities of Deus Ex but for narrative, it's a franchise that has been impeccable. Problem is Mafia 3 is looking more arcadey and ott than I think it should be. Hopefully it is better than I expect. Similarly I wonder if Deus Ex can reach my lofty expectations. HR was decent but could have been better. Deus Ex being one of my favourite games of all time, for blowing me away with the ridiculous amount of choice and options in game, along with engaging in philosophy and having you really think.

Anteater

segagameroom_2016_04_5mjsr.jpg

OAPRlHu.gif

Teggy

Because R&C 2016 is not a platformer; it's got to do with proper genre association. Go play Super Mario 3D Land, a 3D platformer and compare it to what you do in R&C '16, then come and tell me if R&C is a platformer :p

Tomb Raider Ann. had more platforming in it than R&C '16 and that game had QTE during combat :p

I mean, it has a double jump and platforming sections. Sure it mixes genres, but I'm not sure why it's worth splitting hairs.

We'll be getting Youkalaylee and hopefully the success of R&C will encourage more developers to dip their toes back into the genre.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Mafia 3 will be my GOTY (Unless it's Stellaris) but man, I'm really hyped for Deus Ex. I loved HR.

derExperte

That Danganronpa bear on the sale teaser but no discount. Nice.

And Mushihimesama -50%. Nice.

Me checking my activity feed and sending some names to the FBI. Nice.

Nzyme32

Mafia 3 will be my GOTY (Unless it's Stellaris) but man, I'm really hyped for Deus Ex. I loved HR.

We're in the same boat, but I'm pretty confident in Stellaris. I badly want Mafia 3 and Deus Ex MD to be exceptional and capture the brilliance of their original games while still moving things forward

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
We're in the same boat, but I'm pretty confident in Stellaris. I badly want Mafia 3 and Deus Ex MD to be exceptional and capture the brilliance of their original games while still moving things forward

Honestly, I'm cautiously optimistic mate. Both seem brilliant.

Tizoc

I mean, it has a double jump and platforming sections. Sure it mixes genres, but I'm not sure why it's worth splitting hairs.
But the shooting elements of the game overtake the platforming
As I wrote, the platforming in R&C '16 makes up 1% of it, any more generous and I'd say 5%.
You do way more shooting than you do platforming
What about this is so hard to get? Megaman games are an example of an action platformer where the primary combat is using ranged weapons.

Just because you have (double) jump and a few platforming sections does not automatically make it a platformer; that has to be the primary core of the game.
That's like saying Uncharted series is a platformer because it has you navigating through ledges

Watch a playthrough of Super Mario 3D World, then go back and watch a playthrough of R&C '16 and tell me which one has the more platforming :p

I'm not saying the R&C series are not platformers BTW; merely that there is this bizarre misconception that R&C '16, this one particular game, is seen as a platformer, when after all is said and done it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom