• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I have a Rockstar-related confession.

I preferred the story of Max Payne 3 over the gameplay.
o m g r o s s

GTA5 is a game that was designed without ever considering fun at any point during its development. It's immersive, yes; lavishly, solidly, and expensively produced, yes; overflowing with content, yes; but fun... no, absolutely not. It went even farther down GTA4's bad road of 'realism' over everything, which makes it a chore to get through in even the best of circumstances.

Really is a pretty game, though.
that actually sounds kind of good for me, as i don't really care about fun and mostly wanna walk around in a ridiculously expensive simulated open world and see all these systems work for like traffic and day night cycle and ai and whatnot

i don't miss the glory days of like san andreas, that's not really me

KarmaCow

Do F2P games handle card drops differently? I'm trying to get some cards to sell off before buying Enter the Gungeon and it's taking forever for to get the cards from Ghost in the Shell.

Do F2P games handle card drops differently? I'm trying to get some cards to sell off before buying Enter the Gungeon and it's taking forever for to get the cards from Ghost in the Shell.

Yes, they handle it differently (though I'm not sure how differently, as I thought that you'd have to spend money ingame, but it seems that's not true anymore)

GTA5 is a game that was designed without ever considering fun at any point during its development. It's immersive, yes; lavishly, solidly, and expensively produced, yes; overflowing with content, yes; but fun... no, absolutely not. It went even farther down GTA4's bad road of 'realism' over everything, which makes it a chore to get through in even the best of circumstances.

Really is a pretty game, though.

Meanwhile, GTA 5 is the most fun I've ever had in a GTA game. There are zero bullshit missions like almost every previous GTA has had (RC copter and the likes). There are some absurdly funny missions that will force you to smile to yourself. And you keep finding yourself in these awesome action movie moments which really get you pumped up. It's only later that you realize that Rockstar nudged you into those moments but they still felt organic instead of being obviously scripted. That's great game design. The movement is a little heavy like the previous games but all the vehicles feel responsive and fun to drive/pilot and the combat is much better too.

People take issue with the main story and the characters and that's understandable, but Rockstar absolutely nailed the gameplay. Almost everything I can think of to do in the game was fun in some way or the other.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The drops are handled the same, but the number of drops depends on how much money you've spent in-game or on DLC.

Unlike most games where you automatically get a number of card drops equal to half the available cards, you only earn one card drop in F2P games for every $9 spent.

zkylon

zkylewd
Meanwhile, GTA 5 is the most fun I've ever had in a GTA game. There are zero bullshit missions like almost every previous GTA has had (RC copter and the likes). There are some absurdly funny missions that will force you to smile to yourself. And you keep finding yourself in these awesome action movie moments which really get you pumped up. It's only later that you realize that Rockstar nudged you into those moments but they still felt organic instead of being obviously scripted. That's great game design. The movement is a little heavy like the previous games but all the vehicles feel responsive and fun to drive/pilot and the combat is much better too.

People take issue with the main story and the characters and that's understandable, but Rockstar absolutely nailed the gameplay. Almost everything I can think of to do in the game was fun in some way or the other.

considering gta 4 and max payne 3, i'm expecting absolutely zero out of the game's story. rdr had its moments, but because of mexico i'm still putting it in the category of "bad"

i just want the writer of gay tony to write all of their games, how hard can it be to make like 3 likeable characters

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
considering gta 4 and max payne 3, i'm expecting absolutely zero out of the game's story. rdr had its moments, but because of mexico i'm still putting it in the category of "bad"

i just want the writer of gay tony to write all of their games, how hard can it be to make like 3 likeable characters

Best 'DLC' ever IMO

MUnited83

For you.
The drops are handled the same, but the number of drops depends on how much money you've spent in-game or on DLC.

Unlike most games where you automatically get a number of card drops equal to half the available cards, you only earn one card drop in F2P games for every $9 spent.

the best thing about this was when the the Frozen F2P game launched. It had no cards, but there was a price glitch, and you could buy the super expensive microtransaction bundles for under a dollar, which i did. The game didn't have cards, but it eventually did, and it seemingly counted my transactions as the "correct" price, which gave me like 10$ worth of frozen cards.

If I knew this would happen i would have plunged in even more of them. Those damn emoticons and backgrounds are still a goldmine.

zkylon

zkylewd
Best 'DLC' ever IMO

there's been some really good ones for other games (new vegas, dark souls, deus ex hr, the bio infinite rapture series), but yeah, it's pretty good

but sure it's the best writing rockstar has ever done and it's just legitimately fun and charming and not complete misanthropy

gay tony is awesome

I'd like to thank those of you who recommended The Witcher novels to me in the March thread. I'm a few hours into the audiobook of The Last Wish and it's great.

Progress is very slow in Mad Max. Does not help an inch that it's the same thing over and over. Just unlocked the second friendly bastion.. they expect me to make the same tedious bastion-upgrade fetch-quests for every individual bastion? No. Just no.

For what it's worth, Ballad of Gay Tony was my favorite GTA content until it was dethroned by GTA 5.

I don't know if I'd call the GTA 5 protagonists likeable. They were all very distinct from each other, which was good. I enjoyed them all but some folks took issue with them. They were all bad people after all so that's understandable. For me personally the writing had more hits than misses.

Terra_Ex

I'd like to thank those of you who recommended The Witcher novels to me in the March thread. I'm a few hours into the audiobook of The Last Wish and it's great.
Yeah, Peter Kenny has done a great job narrating all the Witcher audiobooks, I'm listening to them myself again atm. All highly recommended for anyone that enjoyed the games.

impact

Banned
Is dark souls 2 supposed to be like stupid hard? I haven't even gotten to the first boss and I've been playing for almost 3 hours

it's the easiest Souls game
What about you thought GTA4 was decent but a lot worse than San Andreas?

I couldn't even finish GTA4 but I think GTA5 is a great ass game. Probably my favorite open world game with Red Dead and Sleeping Dogs.

Mission design, gameplay (driving and shooting), story and characters are just so much improved in GTA5.

Remember to roll out of the way when the enemy is trying to hit you.

Also use lifegems.
Well yeah but I'm in the forest of the Giants and there are like 20 dudes all of the time and this shit is ridic

Playing the sotfs version if that makes a difference

Parrying window seems completely off and damn near useless, too

Salsa

south american lols:

Quantum Break is out

but the videos arent streamable yet, server-side

so you can play the game but can't watch the cutscenes

im worried about Gungeon being too much of a co-op thing, when it only has local

game seems like Isaac and similar roguelikes so that's hype, but they really push the co-op aspect

i'll be playing alone
No need to worry. The devs have said they designed Gungeon from the start as a single player game and only added co-op later when they realized they could include it without any major re-writes or development delays

Adnor

Banned
it's out in 12 hours

Unless you're a PS4 user, then it's earlier for god knows what reason
QVXIMXU.gif

Lomax

I'm genuinely disappointed that HunieCam is just a clicker game and not even a real attempt at being a parody management sim. Hopefully this just means they've been working on a real HuniePop sequel as well.

Buraindo

Glad to read this. More people should be giving the books a go, they made the already great games 100% more enjoyable to me.

it's the easiest Souls game.

While I agree with you, it's also true that 2 plays the dirtiest of them all. I found it easier, but also more frustrating if that makes any sense.

Well yeah but I'm in the forest of the Giants and there are like 20 dudes all of the time and this shit is ridic

Playing the sotfs version if that makes a difference

Parrying window seems completely off and damn near useless, too

Play it safe, run around strafe etc. Invest in adaptability so you get Agility and with it more reliable rolls. Parrying is a pain to get right, and while it's useful you can safely go through the game without ever using it.

Salsa

I'm genuinely disappointed that HunieCam is just a clicker game and not even a real attempt at being a parody management sim. Hopefully this just means they've been working on a real HuniePop sequel as well.

same. I was really hoping for some avant-garde gameplay depth and innovation in my anime boobs click thing

zkylon

zkylewd
For what it's worth, Ballad of Gay Tony was my favorite GTA content until it was dethroned by GTA 5.

I don't know if I'd call the GTA 5 protagonists likeable. They were all very distinct from each other, which was good. I enjoyed them all but some folks took issue with them. They were all bad people after all so that's understandable. For me personally the writing had more hits than misses.
cool, that's encouraging

Is dark souls 2 supposed to be like stupid hard? I haven't even gotten to the first boss and I've been playing for almost 3 hours
i thought it was a lot easier than dark 1 and demons. the dlc was pretty tough tho

it's out in 12 hours
ooh, that sucks. thought it was out today

I'd be down for a huniepop sequel, i never beat the original cause the puzzles got too hard but if they'd tone down the difficulty a bit I'd probably consider a purchase. maybe even a different kind of puzzle game all together to make it even more interesting

Lomax

I'd be down for a huniepop sequel, i never beat the original cause the puzzles got too hard but if they'd tone down the difficulty a bit I'd probably consider a purchase. maybe even a different kind of puzzle game all together to make it even more interesting

You can play on easy, it's still basically the same gameplay only more forgiving. There's actually a surprising amount of depth to choosing the right items and using them well, that's why I enjoyed it so much, it's not just a simple match-3 based purely on luck. Might be worth it to give it another shot.

same. I was really hoping for some avant-garde gameplay depth and innovation in my anime boobs click thing

Hey, I didn't expect the original to be as good as it was, so I had a bit of hope they would surprise me with something deceptively deep and creative.

Figure I ask here since it's more active

My old PC was swept away in a flood at the end of February, somehow, someway, when I plucked the beast out of the murkey black waters and cleaned/dried/tested everything, only the motherboard seems to have been damaged. So I ordered a new PC from that HP deal that's been hovering around(picked a 970 though, $200 cheaper means a lot) and that's coming in tomorrow.

Issue is, my old PC had windows 7 and this new one will be windows 10. The new PC will have a 2TB HDD and I'll just put in my 1TB HDD in there as well. But how exactly do I boot into the old windows so I can slowly and carefully transfer over everything to the new HDD? All I care about is my music but there's a lot of recorded gameplay I'd like to cull through, but the biggest priority is my music playlists from Foobar that I want to save. Do I just hit one of the Function keys on bootup and select my other HDD as the starting point? I basically need access to my old desktop.

You really can't. The motherboard switch would almost certainly have forced you to do a new windows install anyway, even if you were staying with windows 7. I'd just do the windows 10 install on the new drive and then just dig through the content on the old drive at your leisure. You'll probably find that you can just access everything where it is on the old drive just fine where it is, and just leave it there, that's what I ended up with.

BHK3

Banned
Figure I ask here since it's more active

My old PC was swept away in a flood at the end of February, somehow, someway, when I plucked the beast out of the murkey black waters and cleaned/dried/tested everything, only the motherboard seems to have been damaged. So I ordered a new PC from that HP deal that's been hovering around(picked a 970 though, $200 cheaper means a lot) and that's coming in tomorrow.

Issue is, my old PC had windows 7 and this new one will be windows 10. The new PC will have a 2TB HDD and I'll just put in my 1TB HDD in there as well. But how exactly do I boot into the old windows so I can slowly and carefully transfer over everything to the new HDD? All I care about is my music but there's a lot of recorded gameplay I'd like to cull through, but the biggest priority is my music playlists from Foobar that I want to save. Do I just hit one of the Function keys on bootup and select my other HDD as the starting point? I basically need access to my old desktop.

They're charging money for a clicker? They're doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom