• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Well I've finished FEAR 3 now (or rather F.3.A.R...) which completes the series for me. Overall It was ok and I don't regret the time I spent with it because I enjoyed it, although It's probably the one that feels the least FEAR-like as it's lacking many of the "scary" moments (although looking at the stats I'm surprised only 1/3rd of people who've played the game on Steam have finished it).

I really didn't like -
- Areas getting sealed off preventing backtracking as you progress - this really messed up my weapon management and seriously frustrated me in Interval 6...
- The "levelling" mechanic changed from finding boosters to achieving things like kills with certain weapons, or headshots. Now I started off enjoying this but when It had a massive negative impact on me in conjunction with the above point It got old fast (
Interval 6 on the Bridge is probably intended as a Mech level but thanks to the levelling incentive on weapon choice I thought I'd go on foot with a pistol and shotgun to score some points....only to get swamped by mechs, missile launchers and helicopters. If I hadn't been so low on ammo (or was allowed to backtrack) this would have been less annoying...
- The AI seems spotty...I don't feel like my opposition would have blindly killed themselves to get at me in the other games.
- Arena type level bits....
- The story seemed to kind of make itself up as it went along as far as enemies and plot progression, plus the discontinuity between stages was jarring.
- The last level is rubbish...It might have been fine as an introduction but as the culmination of my endeavour it was poor.
- The protagonist of the second game, Becket, just gets dealt with pointlessly...how can the second game end that way and they opt for that???
- Fettel's mechanic annoyed me...he's an invincible, invisible ghost in Point Man's single player campaign but when you play as him he's not. Now I know that probably wouldn't play well but I don't feel that copy and pasting him into the campaign is really that fun, or logical.

I liked -
- The brothers as boys flashbacks....it felt like it gave much more depth to their story.
- It felt varied environmentally, which was nice and I felt like I wanted to keep going.
- Weapons were still ok and the cover mechanic wasn't bad.
- Contrary to the dislike point I sort of like the achievement goals, although I didn't like my weapon choices being pushed in certain ways.

Woah, that seems harsh as I type it but I definitely enjoyed it more than the above makes out. Although I'd probably rather play the other games in the series more....all in all though that FEAR Bundle on Bundlestars was an excellent choice.

Now I'm pondering starting to play Skyrim for the first time...it'll be my first Elder Scrolls game and I'm nervous...

So how would you rank them? For me it's 1, 3, and then 2 (didn't do the expansions). I really dislike 2s shift, felt like a generic bargain bin shooter. While 3 embraced it's huge departure and had fun encounters and coop.

xist

So how would you rank them? For me it's 1, 3, and then 2 (didn't do the expansions). I really dislike 2s shift, felt like a generic bargain bin shooter. While 3 embraced it's huge departure and had fun encounters and coop.

It's tough, because going into 3 I preferred 2 over 1 (expansions inclusive). And having finished 3 I didn't feel like it added anything. However, If I was going to replay one It'd be 2. I liked the first game but for me it felt like an endless grey environment corridor crawl punctuated with combat...that's not to say that I won't replay it though. I missed the particle effects in later games and the general feeling of everything suddenly going crazy that 1 captured. So I suppose i'd break general consensus and go 2, edging out 1, then 3 and then the expansions (Reborn was an interesting but INCREDIBLY short diversion and Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate were just more of the same).

I know..I'm wrong.

Jawmuncher

It's tough, because going into 3 I preferred 2 over 1 (expansions inclusive). And having finished 3 I didn't feel like it added anything. However, If I was going to replay one It'd be 2. I liked the first game but for me it felt like an endless grey environment corridor crawl punctuated with combat...that's not to say that I won't replay it though. I missed the particle effects in later games and the general feeling of everything suddenly going crazy that 1 captured. So I suppose i'd break general consensus and go 2, edging out 1, then 3 and then the expansions (Reborn was an interesting but INCREDIBLY short diversion and Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate were just more of the same).

I know..I'm wrong.

Not wrong, a lot of people seem to really like 2. I couldn't enjoy it that much though.

Just dont expect any special treatment and steamgifts :v
aE7AyMn_460s.jpg

How cheap is Gungeon on nuuvem?

I haven't bought anything from them, yet, but this might be the straw.

Alternatively, if someone cool wanted to pick it up for me, I could Paypal them since doing that on my phone will be much easier than setting up a VPN over lunch.

AHA-Lambda

How cheap is Gungeon on nuuvem?

I haven't bought anything from them, yet, but this might be the straw.

Alternatively, if someone cool wanted to pick it up for me, I could Paypal them since doing that on my phone will be much easier than setting up a VPN over lunch.

It's something daft like 50% less

900p ultra settings 60fps.

A lot better than High with dips @1080p if you ask me.
Which website is that? I rarely see benchmarks that go under 1080p. This is to my interest.
Wasn't that interested in Mafia 3 but man, after playing Mafia 2? Straight into my veins!
I've spent about 4 hours today on the Ruins Sentinels in DS2 and still haven't beat them.

This game is pure fuckery. I can't even farm the area around the boss because I've killed everyone too many times.
Ruin Sentinels are early bosses, so there being three at once and the player being likely low-level stat and weapon-wise pushes the difficulty up. But honestly, they are easy bosses with at least one summon. There should be a AI summon, so you'll always have a good chance.
Tip: Don't jump to the utmost low level immediately. Try dealing with the single Sentinel on the immediate balcony.
Why did they make a bad souls game.
It's not >_<

Jadax

Damnnnnn how did I miss this. Stump just went KAAPOWW all over those whiner's faces...

No? Ok..I guess I'll leave...

(I'm glad the mods are on the side of logic when it comes to stuff which really isn't spoilers, but people still nerdrage all over the forums because they feel it's a spoiler).

Ruin Sentinels are early bosses, so there being three at once and the player being likely low-level stat and weapon-wise pushes the difficulty up. But honestly, they are easy bosses with at least one summon. There should be a AI summon, so you'll always have a good chance.
Tip: Don't jump to the utmost low level immediately. Try dealing with the single Sentinel on the immediate balcony.

It's not >_<

my issue is that I can barely damage them. I'm out of human effigies because I was being an idiot with them (i was trying to not use a guide so it meant I was using shit without having much of an idea what they were for).

It just seems like meleeing them isn't really super effective and I haven't invested in range attacks or magic at all. I guess what I can try to do is kill the first sentinel on the top platform and then chip away with some arrows at the guys below.

I got so close a couple of times last night, sigh. I beat that stupid ass giant in one try and the floating knight boss in two tries so having done this fight half a dozen times feels like garbo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am pleased about that stump post. Spoiler culture is completely out of control in my opinion. Ill give you story content and whatnot, but if you whine because you saw a gameplay mechanic spoiled, or a weapon name in a game with hundreds of weapons or something, you need to re evaluate your life.

I will never forget people throwing a fit because people said the last boss of Diablo 3 was Diablo

I am pleased about that stump post. Spoiler culture is completely out of control in my opinion. Ill give you story content and whatnot, but if you whine because you saw a gameplay mechanic spoiled, or a weapon name in a game with hundreds of weapons or something, you need to re evaluate your life.

I will never forget people throwing a fit because people said the last boss of Diablo 3 was Diablo

Are you kidding me? Spoiler tag that shit, man.

Some of us haven't played D3 yet.

It's something daft like 50% less

Oh, man. This is going to happen, in that case.

RRkj2IJ.jpg

my issue is that I can barely damage them. I'm out of human effigies because I was being an idiot with them (i was trying to not use a guide so it meant I was using shit without having much of an idea what they were for).

It just seems like meleeing them isn't really super effective and I haven't invested in range attacks or magic at all. I guess what I can try to do is kill the first sentinel on the top platform and then chip away with some arrows at the guys below.

I got so close a couple of times last night, sigh. I beat that stupid ass giant in one try and the floating knight boss in two tries so having done this fight half a dozen times feels like garbo.

You can definitely melee them. 2hand your weapon and apply Lightning. Just learn their attack patterns and get the fuck out of the way. I had a hell of a time with them as well. You can also bypass them for now and come back when you are a bit more leveled

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Spoiler tag that shit

Tizoc

So Star Ocean 5 shipped over 100K on release in Japan
01./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Sangokushi <SLG> (Level 5) {2016.04.02} (¥4.600) - 269.516 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.03.31} (¥7.980) - 113.022 / NEW
Despite the pantsu alteration :V

If S-E wants to make some real bucks they'd announce the PC ver. already.

On a similar note, Tales of Zesty is STILL hovering around 100K owners-
http://steamspy.com/app/351970
Hope it can reach double that by October, the fact it can run at 60 FPS now shoud've brought in more sales :/

You can definitely melee them. 2hand your weapon and apply Lightning. Just learn their attack patterns and get the fuck out of the way. I had a hell of a time with them as well. You can also bypass them for now and come back when you are a bit more leveled

I think im going to try a couple more times before I just try going elsewhere, yeah. I guess im just being really stubborn about this for whatever reason, I could try going back to the tower of heidi and seeing if I can get through there now. I'm going to try some range stuff with fire arrows. Maybe look to see if some vendors are selling that lightning ooze and give that a shot.

thanks!

Welp, guess I never need to play Diablo 3 now.

From what I remember, people got annoyed if you revealed Diablo's identity. I know many people don't have a high opinion of Blizzard's writing, but that was a legitimate spoiler for anyone who hadn't finished the game yet.

On a similar note, Tales of Zesty is STILL hovering around 100K owners-
http://steamspy.com/app/351970
Hope it can reach double that by October, the fact it can run at 60 FPS now shoud've brought in more sales :/

Anyone who hasn't bought it already is probably waiting for a decent discount at this point. I know I am. I don't think this game has gone down in price much at all.

Are you kidding me? Spoiler tag that shit, man.

Some of us haven't played D3 yet..

Spoiler tag that shit

From what I remember, people got annoyed if you revealed Diablo's identity. I know many people don't have a high opinion of Blizzard's writing, but that was a legitimate spoiler for anyone who hadn't finished the game yet.

Anyone who hasn't bought it already is probably waiting for a decent discount at this point. I know I am. I don't think this game has gone down in price much at all.

Are you guys serious? It's a 4 year old game, and there has been an expansion. Shit has changed alot, don't even pay any attention to that.

Tizoc

It's been 1/3 off multiple times in the past few months :)

Arthea

So Star Ocean 5 shipped over 100K on release in Japan

Despite the pantsu alteration :V

If S-E wants to make some real bucks they'd announce the PC ver. already.

I wish, but that's very unlikely, SE mostly bringing their internally developed (and popular enough be SE standards) and EIdos games to PC, not much else as far as I noticed.

Melchior

Hey so I was wondering if anyone here had experience ordering games from Gamestop? I have 60$ amazon credit and I want to buy Dark Souls 3 but I can't find a digital listing on the US site so I figured I could just buy a gamestop gift card then buy it on there. Would they deliver the code for the game right now or would I have to wait for the 12th to get my code. EDIT: Also I'm assuming it would be on steam.

Tizoc

I wish, but that's very unlikely, SE mostly bringing their internally developed (and popular enough be SE standards) and EIdos games to PC, not much else as far as I noticed.

Those foolish wapanese ceos need to realize that consorting with foreigners brings in the better Yen.

I get the reason that most of the time these cool multiplayer games are local co-op only (Gang beasts, Samurai Gun, Gungeon and a bunch more.) especially since making a netcode that plays well isn't exactly cheap, just kinda sad since most of my friends have moved away and it's hard to get people to play like that.

Are you guys serious? It's a 4 year old game, and there has been an expansion. Shit has changed alot, don't even pay any attention to that.

Can't speak for the others but I definitely was
not
serious.

For the folks bummed out by the Division's (seemingly awful) changes to crafting, I'm listening to their just-released official podcast right now. They're talking about end game and economy, so if they mention any balancing, I'll let you know.

I've played D3 for over 700 hours. It's not a spoiler for me, nor should it be considered one for anyone four years later. I'm just saying people who were upset about it at launch might have had a reason to be, because the spoiler wasn't that Diablo is the final boss, but rather who Diablo was.

It's been 1/3 off multiple times in the past few months :)

That hardly even counts as a discount :p

But on a serious note, Namco doesn't do regional pricing so Zestiria is one of the top 10 most expensive games in my Steam store. I'll be waiting a good long while before getting it.

Oh right, Effigies can be rare early on. Like bosstone said, you can go to other areas and tackle the Sentinels later on.

Arthea

Out of all of the girl students in the game, she's probably the kind of person I'm most likely to bump into in real life. Her whole attitude is much closer to home than most of the (admittedly few) anime girls I've seen in games.

Knurek is Toko confirmed.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VBIOtZMKQGk/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABs/cGd4NLZvrx8/photo.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

She seems to be rather regular girl, what is strange in this totally insane game, but I welcome diversity

you might be onto something here, considering how Knurek is always concerned with quality of writing, translations and literary things in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom