• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Grief.exe

Crafting
  • Increased costs for converting crafting materials and crafting High-End items:
  • 10 Standard (Green) materials instead of 5 to craft 1 Specialized (Blue) material
  • 15 Specialized (Blue) materials instead of 5 to craft 1 High-End (Gold) material
  • 10 High-End (Gold) materials instead of 8 to craft 1 lvl 31 High-End (Gold) item
  • Changed deconstruction yield of Standard (Green) and High-End (Gold) items:
  • Deconstructing a Standard (Green) item yields 1 Standard material instead of 2
  • Deconstructing a High-End (Gold) item yields 1 High-End material instead of 2
  • Added new level 31 and 32 High-End items Blueprints to Vendors
  • Removed Division Tech requirements from some level 31 High-End Blueprints

This post puts the conversion in simpler terms.

BTW, I finished listening to the Division podcast. No info on the crafting changes.

Optimistically, I'm thinking changes to drop rates and/or the rewards from the incoming weekly and daily assignments will make up for the apparent nerf. Realistically, it's looking like a bad misstep toward a disgusting forced grind.

So that just makes the game exponentially more grindy?

i've been warned by posters in here for spoiling the ending to Braid, a game that's 8 years old.

That means there were people starting elementary school when it came out that would be in high school by the time I spoiled the ending.

I mean cmon now, what's the statue of limitations on this stuff?

Braid is in my Steam backlog!

I assume it ends with a period, like all other games/books/media.

Knurek

How can Quantum Break have 'eyepatch pirate protection system' like Alan Wake had, if it's exclusively an uncrackable UWP app?

*x-files theme*

Lain

Enter The Gungeon framerate is... weird. The Steam FPS counter reports it hitting 43 FPS at times and it's never locked to 60.

didn't gow1 ultimate come out before the official announcement of crossplay? i definitely expect all new xbox one games with a pc release to have a crossplatform play

well, it's not like MS has zero cross platform experience with their consoles in the past. Plus, Sony could get it right for their third party games then i don't know how MS couldn't do it for its first party games if they wanted to.

derExperte

i've been warned by posters in here for spoiling the ending to Braid, a game that's 8 years old.

That means there were people starting elementary school when it came out that would be in high school by the time I spoiled the ending.

And that's why important plot points or intricate endings should never be spoiled without warning. Imo that's a whole different matter than the name of a weapon.

JarrodL

I cannot understand people's sensitivity concerning spoilers for mundane things like that.

I ESPECIALLY cannot understand people's sensitivity concerning spoilers for games that are old. I've seen get someone upset over Final Fantasy 8 story progression spoilers.

Really? Really?
Yes? What's your point exactly? It's impossible for any given person to play everything, there's always something I still want to play that came out ages ago and can be spoiled for me.

Like, take your example, I haven't played Final Fantasy 8. Or 7. In fact, I have only played one game in the series - Final Fantasy I (yes, that very first one, god help me). I haven't been spoiled on any of those games yet (or if I have, I didn't realize it).
I could pick up and start playing almost any entry from the series, like, right now. But then I would have to stop playing Pillars of Eternity and Persona II: Innocent Sin, which is what I'm currently working on. There are over a 1000 games in my backlog at the moment, most of them came out over a year ago. It's always a compromise, you always miss out on something cool until you have time for it.

So please don't be that guy. Don't try to imply it's somehow the other person's fault for not playing the game when it came out. Just don't post real spoilers without spoiler tags, that's the reason they exist.

didn't gow1 ultimate come out before the official announcement of crossplay? i definitely expect all new xbox one games with a pc release to have a crossplatform play

Some of them will be. They are reluctant with the shooters though after that Shadowrun game.

They could easily impose some regulations for crossplay like no m/kb or something though.

Can't you use m/kb on the Xbone?

Jawmuncher

Not saying GOW4 won't, just right now it could go either way. We knew KI S3 would have Crossplay despite coming out after GoW. Really depends on how they do it. Since right now their windows initiative is still rough around the edges.

And that's why important plot points or intricate endings should never be spoiled without warning. Imo that's a whole different matter than the name of a weapon.

but when does it end? when would it be okay for people to openly talk about Braid's ending, for example?

i dunno, something with over half a decade being out seems about right for just openly discussing spoilers in games. I feel even too generous with that timeframe

Jawmuncher

Some of them will be. They are reluctant with the shooters though after that Shadowrun game.

They could easily impose some regulations for crossplay like no m/kb or something though.

Can't you use m/kb on the Xbone?

I think they said it would be added as a feature but hasn't happened yet.

Ventara

Spoilers over mundane things is silly, yeah, but I can understand getting upset over story spoilers for old games. People want to be able to experience that kind of stuff for themselves, and might have not heard or had time for the game until much later. But they still want to discuss other games they've played, so they visit gaming forums. I think putting spoiler tags for that stuff is a small effort for the benefit of everyone.

For example, I was playing through Persona 4 Golden, whose main storyline is trying to catch a killer, and I was spoiled who this killer was. It wasn't out of malicious intent, but there was no warning. It didn't ruin the game for me, but I did feel something was lost by not figuring it out myself.

Knurek

Reading the UWP defense brigade posts is... really something.

It's almost like MS unleashed that nazi chatbot here to tweak it before singularity arrives.

Dsyndrome

It's still all about Stellaris, y'all.

Cool. It sounds like a good addition.

Can I install it without starting over? The readme doesn't say anything about whether it breaks save games.
Edit: Oh, it looks like it isn't compatible with BG1EE 2.0 yet. There is a hotfix in this thread over at Beamdog's forums.
Sorry this is hours late; the mods are available for BGEE 2.0, just not when SoD's installed. The modmerger tool makes it so that all of the dialogue and interactions aren't pulled from the SoD zip file, and once it extracts all the data, disables the zip. Thought it would be more complicated, but all you have to do is put it in your BGEE folder and run. Then mod to your heart's content.

Mods are broken anytime there's a new patch anyways, so although not ideal, I figured it wasn't worth it to wait for SoD zip issue to run its full course. They've got enough to worry about unfortunately with the GG vitriol and broken multiplayer.

Jawmuncher

Reading the UWP defense brigade posts is... really something.

It's almost like MS unleashed that nazi chatbot here to tweak it before singularity arrives.

Kills me that they don't really seem to befalling any feedback. Yeah it's nice these games are on PC. But if you want me to entertain the idea of buying from you on the store you have more work to do. I'm more comfortable buying a $60 dollar game from Origin or Uplay and MS.

zewone

I've been playing the hell out of Nuclear Throne, love the game.

Now I've got a taste for roguelike games. Any recommendations?

I've had my eye on Dungeon Souls for awhile.

Check out Enter the Gungeon (released yesterday) It's pretty similar to Nuclear Throne in some ways.

Kaleinc

Banned

I dunno, some people play even older games - like 10+ years since release old.
It's natural OTs have spoilers all over the place but unrelated/general threads should include spoilers with a proper tag.

derExperte

but when does it end? when would it be okay for people to openly talk about Braid's ending, for example?

Never. Ten years later it's less bad than a major Force Awakens spoiler two weeks after release because 'who hasn't seen it by now?' but if it's something special and not common knowledge like who Darth Vader is then I say use spoiler tags. Braid is a good example because there's a big chance people who didn't play it back in the day are now going to after The Witness. Or FFIX which is coming to PC for the first time.

DasFool

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, and Rouge Legacy to name a few. All excellent games.

Amzin

Binding of Isaac + DLC is a (huge) classic Roguelike shooter

Enter the Gungeon just came out and is halfway between Isaac and Nuclear Throne so you'd probably like that.

Spoilers over mundane things is silly, yeah, but I can understand getting upset over story spoilers for old games. People want to be able to experience that kind of stuff for themselves, and might have not heard or had time for the game until much later. But they still want to discuss other games they've played, so they visit gaming forums. I think putting spoiler tags for that stuff is a small effort for the benefit of everyone.

For example, I was playing through Persona 4 Golden, whose main storyline is trying to catch a killer, and I was spoiled who this killer was. It wasn't out of malicious intent, but there was no warning. It didn't ruin the game for me, but I did feel something was lost by not figuring it out myself.
and the same thing happens with films and books: after a few years, it's open season for spoilers.

Yet rarely is there a group of folks up in arms with their pitchforks. There's an understanding that if you took years to get to something, then it's on you. Pop culture and society as a whole isn't going to coddle you and wait around until you finally set aside some time to do some catching up of your own.

I knew that Snape killed Dumbledore ages before i watched those films, it was fine. Without context or any investment in the series, it meant nothing. And even when i did watch the films, it still had zero meaning to me because I had no context at all as to the why or how.

I get it if it was something recent, like I was happy that i managed to avoid spoilers for Life is Strange for example. But there were gifs and comments everywhere about warren and smoking and all sorts of shit that meant nothing and meh. Even if i knew the end, the journey ended up being so good that i still would've loved the game. But i was happy to not have that spoiled, that very recent thing that came out less than a year ago

Never. Ten years later it's less bad than a major Force Awakens spoiler two weeks after release because 'who hasn't seen it by now?' but if it's something special and not common knowledge like who Darth Vader is then I say use spoiler tags. Braid is a good example because there's a big chance people who didn't play it back in the day are now going to after The Witness.

and if they got it spoiled then its on them.

Yes? What's your point exactly? It's impossible for any given person to play everything, there's always something I still want to play that came out ages ago and can be spoiled for me.

Like, take your example, I haven't played Final Fantasy 8. Or 7. In fact, I have only played one game in the series - Final Fantasy I (yes, that very first one, god help me). I haven't been spoiled on any of those games yet (or if I have, I didn't realize it).
I could pick up and start playing almost any entry from the series, like, right now. But then I would have to stop playing Pillars of Eternity and Persona II: Innocent Sin, which is what I'm currently working on. There are over a 1000 games in my backlog at the moment, most of them came out over a year ago. It's always a compromise, you always miss out on something cool until you have time for it.

So please don't be that guy. Don't try to imply it's somehow the other person's fault for not playing the game when it came out. Just don't post real spoilers without spoiler tags, that's the reason they exist.

If spoilers for a specific product are so important to you. Then play the game. I'm not going to get mad if someone spoils Zak Mckracken for me because I should've played it. But I don't tend to care about spoilers in most things. The only time I've cared recently is with Star Wars. We can't walk on eggshells forever because some people didn't care enough to play something yet they don't want it spoiled.

JarrodL

i dunno, something with over half a decade being out seems about right for just openly discussing spoilers in games. I feel even too generous with that timeframe

I recently played a game on GoG that originally came out in 1989 (Mean Streets, in case it matters). I enjoyed it, including a few plot twists in the story. If I'd been spoiled on those twists before playing, I imagine I'd still enjoy it ... but a bit less.

Take that as you will.

I recently played a game on GoG that originally came out in 1989 (Mean Streets, in case it matters). I enjoyed it, including a few plot twists in the story. If I'd been spoiled on those twists before playing, I imagine I'd still enjoy it ... but a bit less.

Take that as you will.

I played it last year and enjoyed it too.

Tex Murphy is awesome, you should play the rest of the games.

zewone

I dunno, some people play even older games - like 10+ years since release old.
It's natural OTs have spoilers all over the place but unrelated/general threads should include spoilers with a proper tag.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, and Rouge Legacy to name a few. All excellent games.

Binding of Isaac + DLC is a (huge) classic Roguelike shooter

Enter the Gungeon just came out and is halfway between Isaac and Nuclear Throne so you'd probably like that.

Sweet. Thanks, guys.

I think I already have Isaac on my PS4 from a PS+ free game. Guess it's time to boot it up.

bigzgod

Hey so I was wondering if anyone here had experience ordering games from Gamestop? I have 60$ amazon credit and I want to buy Dark Souls 3 but I can't find a digital listing on the US site so I figured I could just buy a gamestop gift card then buy it on there. Would they deliver the code for the game right now or would I have to wait for the 12th to get my code. EDIT: Also I'm assuming it would be on steam.

That's because Dark Souls 3 PCDD is hidden within the XBone digital listing. Here's the direct link: Link

Jawmuncher

Take that as you will.

I couldn't play mean streets. It was just too old for me. Really enjoyed under a killing moon though. Plan to play the rest at some point.

Panda Rin

Weird question, but I heard there's a no monsters mods for Soma? I'm a huge fucking sissy when it comes to horror games, but Soma's themes sound sweet enough. Anyone have experiences playing through it?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

In specific context, like you saying that you just started playing Final Fantasy 7, giving a significant story detail is a jerk move, sure. That holds true for anything, regardless of age because I'm using a piece of information against you to satisfy myself.

But you've failed to prioritize playing a game that was released nearly 20 years ago. And instead of being personally accountable you're trying to make it someone else's problem. Instead of trying to change how people casually interact with each other, either play the game or realize you don't really care about playing the game.

JarrodL

If spoilers for a specific product are so important to you. Then play the game. I'm not going to get mad if someone spoils Zak Mckracken for me because I should've played it. But I don't tend to care about spoilers in most things. The only time I've cared recently is with Star Wars. We can't walk on eggshells forever because some people didn't care enough to play something yet they don't want it spoiled.

I'm not going to get mad. I probably won't even respond in this thread, or wherever the spoiler happens. I'll just enjoy the game a bit less than I could otherwise.

And your advice doesn't work, sadly - I AM, in fact, playing all those games. But like I said above, picking one important thing out of a hundred I have means there are still 99 other things left that could be spoiled for me in the meantime. And while I'm playing that one I picked, another 10-15 games I'm interested in might come out. I'd buy them (because I want to support the developers who make good games), and thus my list of "important" things which may be spoiled for me has grown instead of shrunk. What next?

Dsyndrome

Spoilers for end bosses / villains should go with a case by case basis. Knowing that you're going up against Ganon, Bowser, or Sephiroth is given unless you live under a rock and don't play games at all, in which case why do you care about spoilers?

Knowing who the main antagonists are for Danganronpa or Persona 4 and spoiling that shit is something else altogether, especially when the entire game is built around not knowing.

Ventara

and the same thing happens with films and books: after a few years, it's open season for spoilers.

Yet rarely is there a group of folks up in arms with their pitchforks. There's an understanding that if you took years to get to something, then it's on you. Pop culture and society as a whole isn't going to coddle you and wait around until you finally set aside some time to do some catching up of your own.

I knew that Snape killed Dumbledore ages before i watched those films, it was fine. Without context or any investment in the series, it meant nothing. And even when i did watch the films, it still had zero meaning to me because I had no context at all as to the why or how.

I get it if it was something recent, like I was happy that i managed to avoid spoilers for Life is Strange for example. But there were gifs and comments everywhere about warren and smoking and all sorts of shit that meant nothing and meh. Even if i knew the end, the journey ended up being so good that i still would've loved the game. But i was happy to not have that spoiled, that very recent thing that came out less than a year ago

and if they got it spoiled then its on them.

Films and even books don't need the same time investment as games. But whatever. Outside, you can't control this stuff. If something becomes part of pop culture, no one's gonna blame anyone here.

But this is a dedicated gaming forum for people who are really passionate about video games, like me. If I can help make it a more enjoyable and friendlier place for others by taking the two seconds to put spoiler tags over major story spoilers, then I'd do it. And I hope others do it for me as well.

Though if you're the kind of guy who doesn't want to do that, then whatever. Not like I can force your hand.

Jadax

FTL, Invisible Inc, Rogue Legacy, Crypt of Necro, Don't Starve, Sunless Sea, Darkest Dungeon, Spelunky are some that I can think of now. Bolded ones are my favourites.

I'm not going to get mad. I probably won't even respond in this thread, or wherever the spoiler happens. I'll just enjoy the game a bit less than I could otherwise.

And your advice doesn't work, sadly - I AM, in fact, playing all those games. But like I said above, picking one important thing out of a hundred I have means there are still 99 other things left that could be spoiled for me. And while I'm playing that one I picked, another 10-15 games I'm interested in might come out. I'd buy them (because I want to support the developers who make good games), and thus my list of "important" things which may be spoiled for me has grown instead of shrunk. What next?

I just don't think they are as important as you make them out to be otherwise you would have played them. I don't think there is a single game more than a year old that you could spoil for me that would annoy me because I should have played them. I can only get mad at myself for not making the time.

As morningbus said, if you say you are playing an old game and someone spoils it for you there then they are a dick, simple as. But we cannot walk on eggshells because some people may not have played a game that millions of people did make the time for.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

And your advice doesn't work, sadly - I AM, in fact, playing all those games. But like I said above, picking one important thing out of a hundred I have means there are still 99 other things left that could be spoiled for me in the meantime. And while I'm playing that one I picked, another 10-15 games I'm interested in might come out. I'd buy them (because I want to support the developers who make good games), and thus my list of "important" things which may be spoiled for me has grown instead of shrunk. What next?

Seek help for videogame addiction?

I can't even think of 10 things total right now, including film, tv, games, or books, that I care about being spoiled with.

Dr.Social

Banned
I actually played some of this yesterday. I didn't like it. But I'm not really a roguelike fan. Seemed like fun for those who like the genre indeed though.

It becomes a lot more fun when you get good with the combo system.

8PdUPN3.gif

Also try to unlock the floaty style because it makes your character fall slower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom