• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdw_b

Trying to play Oceanhorn and it runs like garbage no matter the settings...

Any ideas?

R9 380 4gb, I5-6500, many RAMS

Ozium

bought bundle, go to redeem keys..

key redemption takes forever, then says the key is no good...
im like wtf so I re-enter the key, it then instantly says I already own, proceed to installation...
(I didn't already own it, so it took the key)

go to redeem another key, again it takes forever and then it tells me I have too many validation attempts and gives me a cooldown...

nice shit, valve

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The one thing I don't like about Enter the Gungeon is that it's almost too good

Same issue Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code has I see.
c360a83149.gif

Ventara

I don't understand the feeling of needing to play everything, I guess. It's an endless chase and an ultimately fruitless endeavor because you simply can't play everything. The more we talk the more it sounds like I'm doing you a favor by completely spoiling games. At least then you'll be released from the feeling of having to play them all.

The problem I have is that you're asking for people to edit themselves when they talk in a very, very common way: making references or allusions to broader culture. You're also suggesting something fairly extreme: that all media be considered spoilers.

Do you really think I should be using spoiler tags when talking about the Bible? If not, why? What if someone is earnestly reading it for the first time?

I'd like to know where on Earth Atelier is part of broader culture. ;P

You're completely missing his point, though. He's not asking for a complete blackout on every single piece of media. Just for story stuff for games on a gaming forum where it's not apparent there will be open spoilers for said game. You're bringing extremely silly trying to extend this to the Bible and other stuff. I'm disappointed in you.

Arthea

damn volvo, do something, I need to get to my Dang

I don't understand the feeling of needing to play everything, I guess. It's an endless chase and an ultimately fruitless endeavor because you simply can't play everything. The more we talk the more it sounds like I'm doing you a favor by completely spoiling games. At least then you'll be released from the feeling of having to play them all.

The problem I have is that you're asking for people to edit themselves when they talk in a very, very common way: making references or allusions to broader culture. You're also suggesting something fairly extreme: that all media be considered spoilers.

Do you really think I should be using spoiler tags when talking about the Bible? If not, why? What if someone is earnestly reading it for the first time?
The bible? seriously?
Which games you consider the bible level? Serious Sam I suppose?

Jawmuncher

Yeah 5 posts seems a bit too small. Especially since it carries over from the last thread.
But at the same time you don't want people spamming random comments.

Nabs

Trying to play Oceanhorn and it runs like garbage no matter the settings...

Any ideas?

R9 380 4gb, I5-6500, many RAMS

I had to switch it to 60 fps (locked) and borderless windowed for it to not feel like complete garbage.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd like to know where on Earth Atelier is part of broader culture. ;P

You're completely missing his point, though. He's not asking for a complete blackout on every single piece of media. Just for story stuff for games on a gaming forum where it's not apparent there will be open spoilers for said game. You're bringing extremely silly trying to extend this to the Bible and other stuff. I'm disappointed in you.

It actually makes the most amount of sense because this is a videogame forum. Videogames have a greater sense of importance to the broader culture of this forum. It's like being on a website dedicated to film and having to edit yourself when talking about Citizen Kane.

The bible? seriously?
Which games you consider the bible level? Serious Sam I suppose?

People have been throwing around fairly extreme examples this entire time, including a story that is over 100 years old and has been adapted countless times, and I went with the most extreme for a reason. It's equivalent would be Super Mario Bros., I suppose; a property very. very pervasive within its culture.

And apparently people get upset being told about Bowser, so I have my answer.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
cant hear my friend and they cant hear me on xbox live party with the windows 10 xbox app :(

Have mic setup properly too

It makes no sense. Why do you react like putting some text into spoiler tags is unbearable hardship? It takes close to no effort, you can discuss any game in spoiler tags, any plot twist, any gameplay mechanics for even new games in spoiler tags, I did it countless of times, yet it didn't kill me as you can see.
What's so hard in about being slightly concerned about other people's fun?

You basically never visited any literature boards, there is no time limit on major spoilers, unless it's a spoiler thread. Even if you pretend that everybody is around your age and had your life and experiences you just have to go outside or talk to somebody to see how wrong you are.

More importantly you can make an unmarked spoiler thread pretty much for anything and discuss it there without those so hard to use spoiler tags.

I really can\t comprehend your stance on this, it is as if you are saying if some people are jerks about spoilers on internet or rl, we all should follow that example.

Some people don't care about spoilers, some do, some don't care about games, some do, if some don't care about games, does it mean that games are unnecessary or useless? Or useless when old?

my point wasn't that we should go all out and start spoiling everything for no reason but that people should have zero expectation of not being spoiled when a few years pass. If years have passed since a game came out and you ran into a spoiler for it then it's on you as you didn't seem to care enough about not being spoiled to have enjoyed the content in a timely fashion.

youre entitled to play whatever you want whenever but dont get upset if someone posts an open spoiler about X game if several years have passed.

here, let me give you an example: if someone spoils Dark Void for me i'm going to shrug it off because, hey, if the story to that game mattered that much to me then I would've played it within a year or so of its release, like i did with MGSV and The Witcher 3

Ventara

It actually makes the most amount of sense because this is a videogame forum. Videogames have a greater sense of importance to the broader culture of this forum. It's like being on a website dedicated to film and having to edit yourself when talking about Citizen Kane.

Dude, we all know Sephiroth is the bad guy and that Peach is in another castle. That's broader gaming culture. The ending of an indie game? Not so much.

As multiple people have already mentioned, it would be great if one could take the minuscule amount of time to use spoiler tags for major story events for games. But if not, that's your prerogative.

Dude, we all know Sephiroth is the bad guy and that Peach is in another castle. That's broader gaming culture. The ending of an indie game? Not so much.

As multiple people have already mentioned, it would be great if one could take the minuscule amount of time to use spoiler tags for major story events for games. But if not, that's your prerogative.

But who makes the definitive call about when a spoiler has hit its zenith? Otherwise, we're back to the suppositions that brought us to this discussion, that either enough time has passed that it's fine to discuss or that enough time has passed that the people who care would have either put up or shut up.

Another way to look at it would be to say that if talk about games greatly affects your enjoyment of them, avoid the place that talks about games.

If seeing people drink greatly affects your sobriety, you avoid the friends that drink. You don't go to their house and ask them to put their PBR in blacked-out cups.

Ventara

But who makes the definitive call about when a spoiler has hit its zenith? Otherwise, we're back to the suppositions that brought us to this discussion, that either enough time has passed that it's fine to discuss or that enough time has passed that the people who care would have either put up or shut up.

Another way to look at it would be to say that if talk about games greatly affects your enjoyment of them, avoid the place that talks about games.

If seeing people drink greatly affects your sobriety, you avoid the friends that drink. You don't go to their house and ask them to put their PBR in blacked-out cups.

Are you for real?

I've been playing the hell out of Nuclear Throne, love the game.

Now I've got a taste for roguelike games. Any recommendations?

I've had my eye on Dungeon Souls for awhile.
Roguelite platformers:
Spelunky
Catacomb Kids
Vagante
Towerclimb
The Swindle
Ascendant

Roguelite shooters/action
ZIggurat
Enter The Gungeon
Sublevel Zero
Steredenn
Hand of Fate
Teleglitch
Downwell

Tactical/turn-based
Darkest Dungeon
Caves of Qud
Renowned Explorers
Invisible Inc
Crypt of the Necrodancer
FTL
SanctuaryRPG
NEO Scavenger
The Depths of Tolagal
Dungeons of Dredmor

derExperte

I find the 'if you haven't played it by now, it's your fault' flimsy at best. What if I didn't own a system it's on until now. What if there's a port coming up. Or a remake. Or I just got into the genre. Again, talking about general locations or enemies is one thing but major, in context unexpected info should get spoiler tagged. It's the polite thing to do imo.

Erekiddo

Actually he dies in the middle, it's like the Psycho of religious texts

Touché. Lovely comparison as well.

Rapture stuff is in the end. Aren't we close to credit cards in our skin? Maybe the translation has been lost over thousands of years, and it was actually referring to the Mobile Authentication to sell Steam cards.

Run for the hills, everyone!

sadblob

A question for USA people, when you buy a game directly from Steam as a gift, is it region locked to your country or can it be activated everywhere?

Are you for real?

Why wouldn't I be?

I'm not advocating that people start spreading unsolicited plot details of relatively new games, but not being able to discuss Braid, a core game for the current gaming climate whether you like or hate it, without walking on egg shells isn't reasonable.

And the "miniscule effort" of spoiler tagging has the unintended impact of creating a private conversation in the middle of a thread. When I step into the last page and see a
xxxxxxxxxx
response to a comment that is just
yyyyyyyyyyy
I just avoid the whole thing entirely.

Reading the UWP defense brigade posts is... really something.

It's almost like MS unleashed that nazi chatbot here to tweak it before singularity arrives.

I've been on GAF for 5 years and I've never been banned once. I'm starting to feel like that might change if I ever end up posting in one of those threads.

But coming back to the topic of spoilers, I feel like there's a middle ground between the two extreme attitudes that seem to be on display. Some folks think that everything is fair game soon after a game/movie/TV show releases. Others feel that folks should avoid posting spoilers even years after the fact.

Now I get that people should try and avoid getting spoiled on something they are interested in... like for example, don't click on a thread on the day a new episode of a TV show airs if you haven't seen it yet. At the same time, it's very easy to get spoiled through no fault of your own. I remember I was playing COD a few days after The Force Awakens released and someone just posted a spoiler in the general chat. The movie released one week after the global release date in my country, and I went and saw it on the first day it was out, but I had already been spoiled. Another example is where I've seen some GAF poster who has a Danganronpa spoiler in their avatar. As in, it spoils the whole story if you know what you're looking at. I think they probably feel clever that they're openly spoiling they story because most people wouldn't get it, but if someone does, then tough shit right?

My personal take is that folks should try and add spoiler tags if they can. Even if something is old. Being considerate towards others never resulted in anything bad. At the same time, folks should try not to be overly sensitive about spoilers for media that is years old. Nobody online can know if you've never read Harry Potter, so going apeshit over spoilers for that is kind of pointless. And of course, you deserve to be ridiculed if you are so sensitive that the name of a weapon in a video game is a spoiler and you whine about it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Those sounds like arguments for a time limit to spoilers, which many in the thread are arguing against.

What's weird about my role in here is that I actually do care about spoilers and avoid them for things I care about. I just don't care to make it someone else's problem when they want to discuss something old.

I care more about a person's ability to write what they want without having to check themselves for a reference that is just maybe a little too deep of a cut.

If we went as extreme as some people want, where you have to give a heads-up the nature of the spoiler tag, too. At that point, you have effectively ruined the language like Mass Effect' 3's ending (endgame spoilers)
I actually don't know what happens but am using it to illustrate a point that avoiding spoilers isn't impossible, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom