• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot to mention a while back, Deus Ex: Human Revolution has broken keyboard controls. Movment is designed for a stick, giving players the option to slooowly inch forward and sneak through dangerous, mine-laden areas. Keyboard players, meanwhile, can only move at max speed and will unavoidably trigger all mines. And instead of opting to include e a simple "sneak" or "walk" key to avoid this problem, they... well, left it as it is.

It's a bit of a bummer.
Unless things have changed since I played with a keyboard at initial release, you can toggle CAPS lock to switch between run and walk speed.

I recently replayed the director's cut, and yeah, that's still how it works. There are three speeds: walking, running, and sprinting. Run is the default speed for Jensen.

Jawmuncher

I think i'm gonna try a game on steam.
untitled1w3jcs.png
What deity did i piss off.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. I mean it 100%. Every game I've tried with the Steam controller (Dark Souls, Dirt, etc. etc. etc.) that has Xinput support makes me go "why am I using this instead of the PS3 controller I have two inches away?"

The Witcher 1 is the only game that I've been impressed with Steam Controller support being put in for a "formerly Keyboard and Mouse" title but even then that could've been modded with Xinput support ages ago. Just Cause 1 should work but simply doesn't no matter what config I've tried.

It's probably the biggest regret purchase of 2015 for me. I drunk Valve's kool-aid on regards to them taking the living room seriously but when I have to spend 2+ hours to make a comfortable config for something that works with a 360 controller in five minutes... that's when the "initiative" fails.

Only evangelicals that think "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" if you don't like the controller after spending 20+ hours with it like I have.

Sorry, but it's not for me. And I'm not alone in that thinking, despite a lot of folks giving it a pass without trying it. I'm one of the few that did.

Mine is sitting in that pretty blue box it came with in shame. Maybe someday the Steam community will make configs that Valve uses as defaults for various genres so I don't have to dick around with it for hours until I give up and say "yeah that's not working." But that day isn't today.

I ended up selling mine purely due to the ergonomics, at the end of the day I just didn't find it comfortable to hold and spending lots of time with it didn't help. I really like what Valve are trying to do with the controller, but for me it isn't quite their yet.

I instead bought an xbox one controller and the wireless adapter and I'm much happier :)

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say fuck Microsoft, and fuck them for making Quantum Break windows store and UWP only. Fuckers.

I really like my Steam controller. I played Morrowind on my projector. That was cool.

Some games almost work great. Batman Arkham games feel good until you have to do that hacking minigame with the two analog sticks. Those are frustrating.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Getting banned while gunning for bundle shit lol.

Seriously. I mean Im pretty sure if he asked or said he wanted one of them someone would have kindly sent a key his way if possible as it has happened before in here cause there is pretty decent amount of generous gaffers here. I don't get why the whole 2 accounts for giveaways and more if all you gonna aim is for bundle games are are usually relatively cheap games. I guess some might sell them later when the bundles are done and before sales so they can make up some profit but overall why take advantage of the generosity of a community? Also why when you have chances to win those games with just 1 account if you don't get the whole throttle effect by going ham on giveaways? We're talking bundle games in this case which many users are likely to give away so there would have been opportunities to cleanly get the games anyway so I find it puzzling really.

Oh well I know usually gaf frowns upon people going deep into detective mode but I applaud it in this case because people shouldnt be taking advantage like that of the community. Good riddance.

DasFool

Seriously. I mean Im pretty sure if he asked or said he wanted one of them someone would have kindly sent a key his way if possible as it has happened before in here cause there is pretty decent amount of generous gaffers here. I don't get why the whole 2 accounts for giveaways and more if all you gonna aim is for bundle games are are usually relatively cheap games. I guess some might sell them later when the bundles are done and before sales so they can make up some profit but overall why take advantage of the generosity of a community? Also why when you have chances to win those games with just 1 account if you don't get the whole throttle effect by going ham on giveaways? We're talking bundle games in this case which many users are likely to give away so there would have been opportunities to cleanly get the games anyway so I find it puzzling really.

Oh well I know usually gaf frowns upon people going deep into detective mode but I applaud it in this case because people shouldnt be taking advantage like that of the community. Good riddance.

Regardless of his reasons, holding multiple accounts is against the GAF ToS. Even something as innocuous as replying to himself would have gotten him banned.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Regardless of his reasons, holding multiple accounts is against the GAF ToS. Even something as innocuous as replying to himself would have gotten him banned.
I know which is why I think it was good for people to bring it forward. Also the reasons for the 2 accounts was dumb for most of the part.

Were the Mass Effect ports poorly done? Or are they alright?

Controller support is the only issue Ive heard and one of the games got controller support recently IIRC. Im not too experienced but I believe I heard the ports were fine except for the controller situation.

Jawmuncher

Best version of all 3 games by a million miles. Combining the powers with shooting feels excellent on the mouse and keyboard.

Still a shame the DLC for ME2 and 3 is behind shitty Bioware Points that never go on sale.
If they fixed the ports just to take that off and had all the DLC for like 50% off I would double dip. Though I did double dip on the games themselves.

man i should've asked someone at nuuvem

dunno if it works outside of south america but 50 bucks for the deluxe version, could've saved me 10 bucks if i waited ;_;

fuuuuuuuuuu

... Dark Souls 3?

Is this something someone with nuuvem regional access could do for me?

Yep, what DasFool said, who is not an alt account of TheLetdown, for the record. Right, DasFool / not me?

xxxx ;) xxxx

pahamrick

I know which is why I think it was good for people to bring it forward. Also the reasons for the 2 accounts was dumb for most of the part.

Controller support is the only issue Ive heard and one of the games got controller support recently IIRC. Im not too experienced but I believe I heard the ports were fine except for the controller situation.

All 3 games have full controller support now thanks to mods.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That reminds me, how come Killing Floor 2 is still in early access? I thought the plan to release by the end of last year. How are things going with that game?

Killing Floor 2's health is flatlining, thanks to Tripwire's mishandling of Early Access and inability to adapt to a faster development cycle right away. Rather than engaging the community and acting on the plethora of feedback, they continued to push builds secretly to the press and hyped EA updates as 'free expansions' to draw more eyes to their game. It didn't really work out, and instead, ended up pushing some long-time fans away. Several classes are still heavily imbalanced, 4 of the promised classes are still MIA, and they've only just now begun to promise swifter updates and tweaks about a half a year too late. Most players have moved on to other games, and some of the community's biggest heads will be the first to tell potential buyers that they should look elsewhere. That's not something you want when you're trying to foster a living, growing product.

My interest in returning to KF2 has waned, a similar position many of my co-op buddies share as well. It's really made me put some thought into writing up something highlighting the importance of responsive development when running a multiplayer title. I'm a huge believer in giving teams the space and time they need to create the product they want to make - my love of KR0 and my forgiveness towards their massive gaps between chapters is proof of this - but, when you're running a multiplayer-only title, your product will dry up and the community will deteriorate if you can't even rebalance a class that you've made nearly worthless from the moment it was dropped within a week or two. Content delivery times are important as well, but multiplayer development must be swift and reactionary.

I'm keeping my eyes on their new dev cycle to see if they can keep their promise. We'll see how it looks in a few months!

So mad at the RB4 failure. Fuck you Harmonix.

Unsurprising. Their refusal to accept the blame for the campaign's failures is even less so. It's clear that they had no plan nor understanding of what made other crowdfunding campaigns successful, nor did they seem to realize that they were asking way too much for way too little in return. Not only is RB4 an inferior product, but they seem to be the only dev house which is demanding crowd funding for a port for a single platform. I don't want to paint a picture of doom and gloom for them, as I have been a big Harmonix fan since the golden age of plastic instruments dominating the living room, but this felt half baked and unloved from the getgo.

I never once saw any articles published relating to the campaign until it was obvious that the whole thing was going to, without a doubt, flop. Their only eye-catchers were tie-in tracks with Paradox games and some digital t-shirts. They barely took the time to address any concerns potential backers had, which killed their chances of seeing Rock Band 4 PC funded. I think their former PR manager's heavy criticism of virtually every aspect of this Fig campaign speaks volumes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Still a shame the DLC for ME2 and 3 is behind shitty Bioware Points that never go on sale.
If they fixed the ports just to take that off and had all the DLC for like 50% off I would double dip. Though I did double dip on the games themselves.

I was relieved that the DLC transferred over to Origin fine for ME2. It was so ghetto having a folder with about 20 installers.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Only reason I've not replayed 2 and 3 on PC yet despite owning all of them on PC. I think about it and then realise the DLC situation and lose interest again. Even a repackaging or bringing them onto Origin would be ok, but don't make me buy bloody Bioware points please.

pahamrick

The fact that the trilogy doesn't include all DLC for all 3 games is such a blatant disgusting cash grab.

I've yet to buy a single DLC besides the ones that came with the edition of the game I have. Fuck bioware points that almost never go on sale.

Kriken

Gotta say, while I expected DOOM to get a Season Pass and probably include maps, I really didn't expect the weapons and demons to be DLC as well. Really disappoints me as I was having fun with the Alpha and Beta

Anno

Gotta say, while I expected DOOM to get a Season Pass and probably include maps, I really didn't expect the weapons and demons to be DLC as well. Really disappoints me as I was having fun with the Alpha and Beta

Yeah it's a shame, even if the beta didn't really look good at all to me. This seems like it'll be another game that has basically dead multiplayer in three months on PC that people will point at saying the platform can't sustain communities or something.

Hopefully the single player is good.

Jawmuncher

30 Minute Early Access Impressions.

Had bought this when it went on sale for $1 awhile back. First off I want to start with that I used the steam controller with the default config. I don't recommend this. That config does not play nice at all with top down shooters. With that out of the way the game itself is decent.
Currently it does feel a bit pieced together (UI is rough, Unmatching 2D Assets) but it's all there. The UE4 looks fine but aside from the Dinosaurs, Enemies, and game specific objects it does feel like it's probably just using royalty free assets. Not necessarily a bad thing for this sort of game, especially at this state but I could see it bothering some. This goes for the music as well, which while not bad feels really stock. Have you ever checked out the youtube free music library? It feels like that.
Sounds like i'm being really negative but i'm not. Just these things stick out. The gameplay was simple and easy to learn. It's just a top down shooter where in the mode I play, you just survive for as long as you can.
With a different array of weapons and items that have cooldowns. Now there's apparently loot and other things to change the game, but they don't seem to apply to the offline mode. or at least I didn't see any indication of them, despite picking up a lot of stuff. There's also an online mode, but it was asking me for another login so I didn't even bother. Overall for the $1 I paid it's not bad at all.
If they can make some big changes mainly to stuff like the Ui and more polishing, this would be a decent game for those who enjoy the genre. I'll be checking in periodically to see how the title develops.

Now back to picking at my library.

Unless things have changed since I played with a keyboard at initial release, you can toggle CAPS lock to switch between run and walk speed.

noooooooooooooooooooooo I can't believe I was so blind!

DXHR redeemed.
Sorry this is hours late; the mods are available for BGEE 2.0, just not when SoD's installed. The modmerger tool makes it so that all of the dialogue and interactions aren't pulled from the SoD zip file, and once it extracts all the data, disables the zip. Thought it would be more complicated, but all you have to do is put it in your BGEE folder and run. Then mod to your heart's content.

Mods are broken anytime there's a new patch anyways, so although not ideal, I figured it wasn't worth it to wait for SoD zip issue to run its full course. They've got enough to worry about unfortunately with the GG vitriol and broken multiplayer.

I nearly missed your reply, lol.

With just BG1EE and no SoD, and using that hotfixed version of BG1NPC, it's worked fine so far, save for one crash that didn't happen after a reload.

And I'm glad I installed it. The new dialog does add a lot; it's very well done. A great addition, considering how many paper-thin companions it normally has.

Doomedfool

Only reason I've not replayed 2 and 3 on PC yet despite owning all of them on PC. I think about it and then realise the DLC situation and lose interest again. Even a repackaging or bringing them onto Origin would be ok, but don't make me buy bloody Bioware points please.

So much this! I want to do a full play through of the trilogy with all the dlc, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much on bioware points for dlc that came out years ago.

Can't help it. I'm a cheap bastard, and I have way too many other games to play to keep me distracted from the big run through that is never going to happen.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Did I miss any big news today? Was away from the internet all day, feelsweirdman

Also Enter the Gungeon remains awesome

neonglow

What happened ? Who are we talking about? ;_;

Winner of the Enter the Gungeon raffle got called out for not redeeming the many games he won. It turns out he had 2 Steam accounts: his and "his brother's". All the games were redeemed on his "brother's" account.

This lead to us discovering he also had 2 GAF accounts. His previous account got added to the Modbot giveaways blacklist for abuse. He was redeeming 21+ games from a single giveaway and being nonchalant about it.

He ends up making a second GAF account to enter the giveaways again and seems to have entered twice when the blacklist option wasn't used. You can see it in a recent giveaway with both his accounts winning a game.

Omikron: Nomad Soul -- MB-ABF680A9836361C8 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
Secret Ponchos -- MB-AD0D4BBD785E2048 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 5 entrants total.

Salsa

"Future Proof" has never been a thing

difference with console revision being that you can't play newer stuff

whereas here, you'll be able to, but better settle for 30fps and lower settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom