• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Nope. I mean it 100%. Every game I've tried with the Steam controller (Dark Souls, Dirt, etc. etc. etc.) that has Xinput support makes me go "why am I using this instead of the PS3 controller I have two inches away?"

The Witcher 1 is the only game that I've been impressed with Steam Controller support being put in for a "formerly Keyboard and Mouse" title but even then that could've been modded with Xinput support ages ago. Just Cause 1 should work but simply doesn't no matter what config I've tried.

It's probably the biggest regret purchase of 2015 for me. I drunk Valve's kool-aid on regards to them taking the living room seriously but when I have to spend 2+ hours to make a comfortable config for something that works with a 360 controller in five minutes... that's when the "initiative" fails.

Only evangelicals that think "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" if you don't like the controller after spending 20+ hours with it like I have.

Sorry, but it's not for me. And I'm not alone in that thinking, despite a lot of folks giving it a pass without trying it. I'm one of the few that did.

Mine is sitting in that pretty blue box it came with in shame. Maybe someday the Steam community will make configs that Valve uses as defaults for various genres so I don't have to dick around with it for hours until I give up and say "yeah that's not working." But that day isn't today.

The Steam Controller was never meant as a catch all solution, mainly to bridge the gap between the thousands of games with no controller support and the living room initiative.

Valve is fully aware that traditional controllers are likely the better option for many genres and I don't think they've ever tried to make the argument otherwise.

rbI9bFf.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
Huh ok thanks for the tips. But how good is resistance after all? (or are you just kidding?)

I have
rung the first bell for sure, I'm not so sure about the second one.
I've been to the depths for sure but can't remember atm.
I think the last boss I killed was the one in a dungeon/basement in an open area with some water and it had a lot of legs and a creepy face/mouth.
But I'll get my controller back and start playing again, thanks.
yea the resistance thing was just trolling, never put a point in that. it only raises your bleed/poison resistance stuff a bit which is super useless. i've played that game for like 300 hours and i never put a single point in it

and boss you're talking about is the gaping dragon, so you're on the right track and should keep going down the depths (look for a door that fits the key you got from killing it). second bell is up next, tho as everything in these games, it won't be easy

the only acceptable answer to being pro UWP is that you could easily exploit region prices to get games for dirt cheap.

Once they threw a couple more hoops at that process they lessened the strength of that argument

Crysis is really fun, though I'm playing it as a Far Cry since the suit powers are new to me. I think when I get the suit down it'll feel even better.

Nope. I mean it 100%. Every game I've tried with the Steam controller (Dark Souls, Dirt, etc. etc. etc.) that has Xinput support makes me go "why am I using this instead of the PS3 controller I have two inches away?"

The Witcher 1 is the only game that I've been impressed with Steam Controller support being put in for a "formerly Keyboard and Mouse" title but even then that could've been modded with Xinput support ages ago. Just Cause 1 should work but simply doesn't no matter what config I've tried.

It's probably the biggest regret purchase of 2015 for me. I drunk Valve's kool-aid on regards to them taking the living room seriously but when I have to spend 2+ hours to make a comfortable config for something that works with a 360 controller in five minutes... that's when the "initiative" fails.

Only evangelicals that think "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" if you don't like the controller after spending 20+ hours with it like I have.

Sorry, but it's not for me. And I'm not alone in that thinking, despite a lot of folks giving it a pass without trying it. I'm one of the few that did.

Mine is sitting in that pretty blue box it came with in shame. Maybe someday the Steam community will make configs that Valve uses as defaults for various genres so I don't have to dick around with it for hours until I give up and say "yeah that's not working." But that day isn't today.

I personally haven't touched my old controller (a wired 360 pad) after getting my Steam controller, and used it for the entirety of my first play-through of Dark Souls. But while I've found the Steam controller to be a huge improvement in may ways (for example, having a touch-pad for items in DS was great, as was being able to bind stuff to different buttons), I will definitely agree that it fails in the plug-and-play department. I have yet to come across a game where I did not spend time tweaking the configuration to make it fit my preferences, which in some cases included tweaking the configuration over several hours of play-time until I was happy with it.

I'm still struggling to figure out why EA hasn't just handed off their last gen games to an okay port house so that we get good versions of shit like Mass Effect.

My only hope for picking up ME on PC is that EA does a new collection and then we can all avoid the shitty bioware points on PC forever

Balthuk

yea the resistance thing was just trolling, never put a point in that. it only raises your bleed/poison resistance stuff a bit which is super useless. i've played that game for like 300 hours and i never put a single point in it

and boss you're talking about is the gaping dragon, so you're on the right track and should keep going down the depths (look for a door that fits the key you got from killing it). second bell is up next, tho as everything in these games, it won't be easy
Ok I see, thanks again.

Quoting myself because I was last post and really think this is interesting
Would like to recommend you check out this thread from mattp which links to a gdc talk about game preservation, emulation, legality of emulators etc.
Really interesting stuff. Doesn't focus on the technical aspect or anything.

--
Unrelated question:
Viewing "my posts" doesn't really show all the posts I have made? Is there a filter or something or does it just take a bit for new ones to appear there?

Unai

That, or people who really liked it and think it's a great controller if not the best. It's ok that it's not for you, though.

Nabs

The Steam Controller was never meant as a catch all solution, mainly to bridge the gap between the thousands of games with no controller support and the living room initiative.

Valve is fully aware that traditional controllers are likely the better option for many genres and I don't think they've ever tried to make the argument otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/rbI9bFf.gif

They started this as a comfy couch/bridge the gap device, but I feel that the Steam Controller beats out the conventional controller in most cases. Dark Souls is a massive win since you never have to lift your fingers to switch weapons or spells. You just place a second d-pad on the right touchpad as a mode shift and you're golden. For a shooter, you get trackball and gyro accuracy that beats out a conventional controller every time. Twin Stick games like Gungeon and Bastion work really well with a Mouse Region on the right pad, this is where the right pad becomes a near 1:1 representation of your screen. A game like Shadow Complex feels like it was made for the precision you get with the Steam Controller, running and gunning with incredible accuracy. I seriously can't go back to a terrible right stick again.

My Steam Controller has done wonders for my DS4 battery life.

Teggy

So I got bummed about the first boss in Pillars (I'll go back shortly, don't worry) and started playing Oblivion because it was sort of like playing Fallout 4 again without actually playing Fallout 4 again.

Anyway, PC talk - if I switch out my motherboard and processor, my existing drive won't boot up, correct? I did this about a year ago, but in that case I was going from AMD to Intel, and this is Intel to Intel. I forget how I even did it. I must have booted up from the Windows DVD.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Don't let everyone else here try to convince you that the Steam controller is the best. It may be the best for them, but you've gotta go with what works for you. I've not plugged my Steam controller in since a few weeks after I bought it, after having an experience pretty similar to yours. I know it's come a long way since then, and I keep trying to convince myself to give it another shot but... I just haven't had a compelling reason to.

I think the only reason I would have for using it would be if I wanted to play a game that didn't have controller support, and it was something I knew I was going to play for quite some time - your example of The Witcher 1 is a good use case. But I haven't really played any games that meet that criteria in the time that I've had it.

In all, I think it's an interesting solution but for my personal gaming needs it's almost an unnecessary one. I get why people like it, and I'm sure I'll be happy to have it (eventually) if I decide to play an older game that takes advantage of it well. However, it's not going to replace my "traditional controller" any time soon.

personally, even if you just use the Steam Controller with other xinput games, the extra pads in the back and the mouse-like joystick option still makes it better than an xinput pad.

but, yeah, it's not for everyone. I do like that it seems to be for me, though, and I think i've used my standard 360 pad maybe once this whole year as i keep finding more and more reasons to stick with the steam controller

Grief.exe

Don't let everyone else here try to convince you that the Steam controller is the best. It may be the best for them, but you've gotta go with what works for you. I've not plugged my Steam controller in since a few weeks after I bought it, after having an experience pretty similar to yours. I know it's come a long way since then, and I keep trying to convince myself to give it another shot but... I just haven't had a compelling reason to.

I think the only reason I would have for using it would be if I wanted to play a game that didn't have controller support, and it was something I knew I was going to play for quite some time - your example of The Witcher 1 is a good use case. But I haven't really played any games that meet that criteria in the time that I've had it.

In all, I think it's an interesting solution but for my personal gaming needs it's almost an unnecessary one. I get why people like it, and I'm sure I'll be happy to have it (eventually) if I decide to play an older game that takes advantage of it well. However, it's not going to replace my "traditional controller" any time soon.

But Jshacks!

Didn't you switch over to PS4 for the most part?

rA1fYp3.jpg

We miss you fam!

Balthuk

What is going on? Did I just see monument valley in House of Cards S3E5?
Bein' played by the president of the us?

Popstar

This controller talk is reminding me I should check and see if my Wii U Pro Controller works with the bluetooth on my new motherboard.

I'm also in the bought a Steam Controller but not fond of it camp.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
They started this as a comfy couch/bridge the gap device, but I feel that the Steam Controller beats out the conventional controller in most cases. Dark Souls is a massive win since you never have to lift your fingers to switch weapons or spells. You just place a second d-pad on the right touchpad as a mode shift and you're golden. For a shooter, you get trackball and gyro accuracy that beats out a conventional controller every time. Twin Stick games like Gungeon and Bastion work really well with a Mouse Region on the right pad, this is where the right pad becomes a near 1:1 representation of your screen. A game like Shadow Complex feels like it was made for the precision you get with the Steam Controller, running and gunning with incredible accuracy. I seriously can't go back to a terrible right stick again.

My Steam Controller has done wonders for my DS4 battery life.

Actually this convinced me that I shouldn't get one after waffling on it the past few days.

Anteater

I want a steam controller just to play those old ass pc games with no controller support like Fear

too bad they don't ship here

I think I will miss every Chivalry giveaway. Its a game that might not be meant for me to play :( Keep missing it over the years.

Give me a second. I got you.

And I second jshackles on this one. I love the feel of the Steam controller all the way up until I play most games with it. I wish I was able to get on board so hard with it.

Case in point: Gungeon. I started with the Steam controller and did alright, but missed shots I really shouldn't have missed. Switched to the 360 controller, did much better. One-tried the first boss by kiting him and using a shotgun.

My inability to adapt makes me feel kind of old.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But Jshacks!

Didn't you switch over to PS4 for the most part?

rA1fYp3.jpg

We miss you fam!

I will admit that for the last couple of weeks (month, maybe?) I've been playing mostly a combination of PS4 and retro stuff. Speaking of controllers, I'm getting a lot of use out of my USB SNES controller.

I'm also in my busy season at work so I'm getting about an hour a day tops for gaming. This year has so far been pretty rough on the 52 game challenge, only completed 13 games so far so I'm several weeks behind.

Currently playing through Resident Evil 6 on PS4, despite having owned it on PC for a few years. Yes, I realize I need my head examined.

A Steam competitor is trying to get its app onto Steam

Itch.io is an open marketplace for indie games. According to their About page, if you've made a game you can easily upload it, set the price, and sell your game through Itch.io, and "It’s never necessary to get votes, likes, or follows to get your content approved..."

Speaking of which, the creators of Itch.io have a desktop client called Itch, and while it's already available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, they're going a step further by putting Itch on Steam Greenlight, where they hope to get enough votes, likes, or follows to make it onto Steam proper. Which sounds a bit strange, trying to launch an app for a games marketplace on another games marketplace. As one commenter puts it: "storefrontception."

not sure why your post turned that poster off on the pad but i guess folks are happy with what they've got, which is a totally relatable feeling.

I dunno, i get that it's a very unconventional pad but PC gamers are used to unconventional things so you's think folks would be more open to it ::shrugs::

Grief.exe

I will admit that for the last couple of weeks (month, maybe?) I've been playing mostly a combination of PS4 and retro stuff. Speaking of controllers, I'm getting a lot of use out of my USB SNES controller.

I'm also in my busy season at work so I'm getting about an hour a day tops for gaming. This year has so far been pretty rough on the 52 game challenge, only completed 13 games so far so I'm several weeks behind.

Currently playing through Resident Evil 6 on PS4, despite having owned it on PC for a few years. Yes, I realize I need my head examined.

I'm the same way. There was a couple months this year where I had between 0-5 hours played for a two week period. I've actually had a few days off work recently and Spring Break so I was able to grind out tons of hours in Factorio. Been a nice break.

Actually this convinced me that I shouldn't get one after waffling on it the past few days.

Nabs always hypes me up for a Steam Controller, still don't have one because I don't play many games on the TV.

First giveaway, let me know if there's any problems.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ghostbound, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil Revelations / Biohazard Revelations -- MB-AB5432AE4F6D2FF2 - Taken by TheLight. 9 entrants total.
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare -- MB-D6EAC0845EC5E3BE - Taken by Lashley. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
WARMACHINE: Tactics -- MB-C0334D354AFD8109 - Taken by nightstorm. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
WARMACHINE: Tactics - Mercenaries Faction Bundle -- MB-0F9F886307EA1E56 - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.

t1459985166z1.png

It was posted on the DS3 performance thread and seems to be game-debate from the link. I don't follow them tbh so no idea if it's good or not.

Techpowerup is one of the few that does 900p with videocards/game reviews.
Many thanks.
Crysis is really fun, though I'm playing it as a Far Cry since the suit powers are new to me. I think when I get the suit down it'll feel even better.
Oh my goodness, this is your first time with Crysis? You so lucky. It's one of my all-time favorite FPS. Perfect mix of vast levels and campaign. It's actually one of the few old games I have installed just in case I feel like it.
Already a second one and I haven't even bought/played the first BS. PC has too many games.
Eh, I wanted to re-raffle those two games since I don't know if those two got the games before the ban but ModBot doesn't like that.

So, quote for Secret Ponchos & Omikron.

I want a steam controller just to play those old ass pc games with no controller support like Fear

too bad they don't ship here
Xpadder is a windows program that costs ten dollars and allows you to map any key or mouse binding to an Xinput device- viola! Now you're playing with power!

jshackles

I'm the same way. There was a couple months this year where I had between 0-5 hours played for a two week period. I've actually had a few days off work recently and Spring Break so I was able to grind out tons of hours in Factorio. Been a nice break.

I had a few days off work for spring break too, but that's a little different when you have grown and nearly grown kids monopolizing your time. I swear sometimes I think they were easier to manage when they were in middle school / junior high. Spring is also the "race season" so that typically keeps me busy for a long while on weekends, for example I have a 10k I'm running Saturday.

I've been wanting to dive back into Stardew Valley, Tales of Zestiria, and finish up the first chapter of Hitman.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
not sure why your post turned that poster off on the pad but i guess folks are happy with what they've got, which is a totally relatable feeling.

I dunno, i get that it's a very unconventional pad but PC gamers are used to unconventional things so you's think folks would be more open to it ::shrugs::

It just made me realize I'd rather just use my KB+M or the controller where appropriate mostly. Since I don't like gyro aiming I wouldn't want to use it for shooters and the Dark Souls thing I'd never do. Twin stick games/shooters thing is a positive there but in the reality of things I don't like twin stick shooters too much and prefer horizontal and vertical shmups there and really don't see much benefit to other titles enough for me to fork over money.

Mostly his post just solidified it as a product that would be a waste for me since I'd never do most of that stuff or would rather use my KB+M or my DS4. It just isn't a product for someone like me.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of pantsattack, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pantsattack, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-805855F20DF002B5 - Taken by ExoSoul. 7 entrants total.

t1459979526z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom