• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Well I didn't win the megagiver giveaway. My modbot failures are becoming the stuff of legends XD

What was the waifu game, anyway?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, but it isn't actually showing anything? Nothing on hover, nothing on click.

It's an Enhanced Steam feature, it should be showing this when hovering over:

rRVvZfz.png

There is a new update in the works (hopefully this week) that fixes a lot of bugs with this feature, this could be one of them.

The new update also lets users sort their wishlists by review scores, which I've been getting a lot of questions about.

Amzin

I finished Xanadu Next, and can't say I "get it" really. It's OK but the first like 70% of the game is just stat checks for gameplay mostly, or the exact same tactics on every enemy / room. Later on there's a little more variance but I was pretty bored of the game at that point and just wanted to finish the story, which IMO was the best part.

Whole game just felt.... shallow. I probably wouldn't have even bothered finishing it if I hadn't cheated my way through the last hour or so. Almost every enemy is the same thing if you're playing melee, walk up -> sidestep attack -> swing twice -> sidestep -> swing twice, repeat until dead. The abilities were a little more interesting but required more micromanagement too because of elemental types, especially in the last dungeon. Maybe it's a game I would have enjoyed more when I had nothing to do BUT play games, but as it is I just don't really see the appeal :p

Wok

Tempting.

rRVvZfz.png

There is a new update in the works (hopefully this week) that fixes a lot of bugs with this feature, this could be one of them.

The new update also lets users sort their wishlists by review scores, which I've been getting a lot of questions about.

By the way, it has been quite a long time since the price comparison last worked adequately. Typically:

Me: "Wow, a good price for Ukulélé"

iOWKk1D.png

*clicks on GameBillet*

e3aLrAR.png

rRVvZfz.png

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

"LET US KILL ANIME!" says person enjoying anime inspired game Dragon's Dogma.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DragonsDogma/comments/41ej6e/fuck_your_loli_pawns/

aww shit my main character was so fucking cool in dragon's dogma

My redhead is my favorite custom characters I've made.

Nice! Dragon's Dogma has possibly the best character creator of any RPG I've played. Some guy on Reddit made a bunch of hilarious cosplays:

http://imgur.com/a/u7zjW

Masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

Grief.exe

I was going to wait for some more performance improvements before I bought it but I might just bite the bullet. I'd buy SQUAD on sale to scratch the itch but that game is only truly great when you luck into a great squad leader.

I solo for the most part.

The performance isn't great, but most 3D Early Access games are unoptimized as that occurs near the end of development.

Is it fun? I've seen it on the front page many times now but the name weirds me out. Any good videos of it to give an idea how it plays out?

Yeah I would like to know as well

It's fun fore, but ultimately it's a much product. The movement is based on millsim games so it can come off as clunky until you get the hang of it, and 99% of the players are designed to lose in any one game.

I don't know if footage will be conducive to showing off the game's merits, but it's huge on Twitch right now.

I know this is completely off topic, but I seriously have to vent:

Fuck Samsung's customer service, fuck call centres, fuck having multiple departments, and fuck samsung irresponsibility in promoting a product on their own site that is functionally broken on their own phone, and seemingly having no one with the expertise to fix it or the ability to take responsibility for the issue - AND taking down said promotion early when it became clear that there was an issue.

Holy shit I have never had such bad customer service in my entire life.

Bought a Galaxy S7 from Samsung with a promotion for a 128gb SD card > the two are not compatible on the recent 7.0 android update, we tested this in every possible way > 6hrs on the phone, told I would receive an email with a resolution > after a week we randomly received the same card with the same issue because it is an incompatibility rather than broken products > 6hrs on the phone every department claims no responsibility, the promotion was removed so even the promotions team have no responsibility > sent to tech support reading from a screen for the same issue - fail to even comprehend I only have the one phone and can't stay on the line while I factory reset for the 4th time even though the phone isn't the issue > told they will send me another of the same card - NO > told to travel 100 miles to give my phone and card to an engineer to check...... to try > get fucked, refund me.

I recorded everything and have screencaps of the promotion and disappearance. I'm gonna formally complain.

The funny thing here is that both products individually are fine. But that no one will claim responsibility, that no one will actually remember the issue at hand, that they would remove the promotion before it's end date and then have the gall to ask me to take even more time over the phone and disregard the issue I am stating and asking to travel miles away just to have someone look at the phone and card but can give me the same card with the same issue.... No. Fuck you.

Any advice on a good phone to buy is appreciated, and preferably one where customer service is easier to get.

You can always just root and install your own OS, no need to be on the line with Customer Service indefinitely.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well thats Hollow Knight knocked off my GOTY spot. Oh well, he resisted 2 bombs but not 3 :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
By the way, it has been quite a long time since the price comparison last worked adequately. Typically:

Me: "Wow, a good price for Ukulélé"

iOWKk1D.png

*clicks on GameBillet*

e3aLrAR.png

Thanks I'll pass this on. This data is coming from IsThereAnyDeal's API so it's on their end.

Wok

I read that Blackwoord Crossing, to be released on April 5th, might be less than 6 hours long for 2 playthroughs. Maybe 4 hours for the 1st playthrough, I don't have this info, just an assumption.

Thanks I'll pass this on. This data is coming from IsThereAnyDeal's API so it's on their end.

Thanks! 😘

Pachimari

well thats Hollow Knight knocked off my GOTY spot. Oh well, he resisted 2 bombs but not 3 :p
Wait, why is Hollow Knight no longer in contention for your GOTY?

Btw the beta for Playerunknowns Battlegrounds really soured me and I liked H1Z1 more back in the day, but having followed it on Twitch the last couple of days my interest is coming back again. Especially now that I understand some of the mechanics more and how to really play it. Might bite on it soon.

Battlechili

Banned
But that's not...oh never mind.

Both Gal Gun and Panty Party with prominent spots on the front page today. Steam was a mistake.
Gal Gun is pretty fun tbh

Worth the $20 cost during sale. Animations during cutscenes are surprisingly good for something that appears so low budget

Anteater

but the truth is that i'm only one girl.

the nier soundtrack is so good

Nice! Dragon's Dogma has possibly the best character creator of any RPG I've played. Some guy on Reddit made a bunch of hilarious cosplays:

My redhead is my favorite custom characters I've made.

yeah i love the character creator, best thing is that your weight/height actually affect gameplay, if you jump on a griffin with an overweight character it could barely fly lol

Saty

Pachimari

JarrodL

Some noteworthy points from TB's steam talks at Valve, courtesy of @SteamSpy and @Totalbiscuit.

• So, according to @Totalbiscuit, Valve is going for crowdsourcing and algorithms to solve the discovery problem. As usual :)
  • Players will opt-in to become Steam Explorers so they can buy and check out unsuccessful games. They'll have one free refund per week for it
  • They'll get refunded even if they played for more than two hours, yes.
  • Developers will be able to customize their Steam pages a bit more than they can now.
  • Valve admits the existence of the problem of asset-flips and will address it with a combination of an algorithm, curators and user reviews
  • Curators will be able to create collections of games to feature on their pages.
  • Players will know why a game was recommended to them ("you play this genre", "your friends play it", "curators you follow like it")
  • Curators will be able to see how many people discovered a game thanks to their recommendations.
  • Curators will level-up and unlock various perks, including being included in a kind of @dodistribute key distribution list for developers
  • The idea is that it will be easier for developers to send their review copies to influencers through a system built into Steam.
  • It means no keys to resell on G2A, no hunting for email lists and every influencer now has to be a Steam Curator to receive review copies.
  • To avoid being spammed, Steam Curators will be able to set tags for games they care about and for games they don't
  • Players will be able to customize their Steam front page and block certain algorithms. Theoretically, you can have TB-recommended games only
  • Valve doesn't want to curate the store, they want the community and curators to decide if a game is good and worthy being on Steam
  • As for asset-flips, Valve will try to remove financial incentives for such games by moving them down in recommendation algorithm
  • But Valve will NOT identify asset-flips, will NOT let users report them AND will NOT remove them from the store unless they break the law
  • Valve doesn't want anyone to dictate what you can and cannot buy on Steam.
  • TB also saw the support department in Valve's office. So they DO EXIST. Valve thinks gamers can refund if they have a bad experience

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hence why I hadn't gotten it yet :V
One could always buy it before the discount ends, and if it don't get bundled, redeem it or refund it before th 2 week limit.

Leap of Faith you mean?

Battlechili

Banned
[*] Valve doesn't want to curate the store, they want the community and curators to decide if a game is good and worthy being on Steam
[/LIST]
YES
THANK YOU VALVE

Thank goodness they decided to just try and improve how and what's shown to users rather than curate out bad games ala Sterling's wishes.
So if there is no other option available to me do you guys recommend FF6 on Steam ?
Its a good game. Steam's version is just ugly. Make sure to mod it to make it a bit better if you get the Steam version.

Wok

There should be an Humble Debut in there, right?

I expect it is one of these four. To me, they all look like Humble Monthly games.

have they said thats a "thing" they are doing now, one of the games is always going to be a debut now?

Why would they say anything that constrains them and does not bring them anything in return?

TB also saw the support department in Valve's office. So they DO EXIST.

As much as I doubt Valve is doing what I'm thinking about here, I feel it's necessary to mention the naivety of this particular point. They could have temporarily assembled such a department for the sole purpose of showing it off.

C4rter

Obscure games 66% off is a all time low I think? Anyway time to finally grab 2 just for completion sake because I have the first nd its unlikely to be bundled.

Really good price, 5,09€ for both is a steal. They even added achievements and xbox 360 gamepad support, it's not your typical "old game on steam" cash grab.

gabbo

Some noteworthy points from TB's steam talks at Valve, courtesy of @SteamSpy and @Totalbiscuit.

• So, according to @Totalbiscuit, Valve is going for crowdsourcing and algorithms to solve the discovery problem. As usual :)
  • Valve doesn't want to curate the store, they want the community and curators to decide if a game is good and worthy being on Steam

Unless my store page can be customized to very specific criteria - all new full games and expansions only, sorted newest to oldest by release, and nothing but this, Valve won't have gone far enough.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
As much as I doubt Valve is doing what I'm thinking about here, I feel it's necessary to mention the naivety of this particular point. They could have temporarily assembled such a department for the sole purpose of showing it off.

Yo dude, get a YouTube channel and signal boost this.

Papa bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom